Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Enrich your life with new skills or new passions in 2014 Options · View
keoloke
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:08:23 PM

I would like to share this info with the Lushies.

Uncover new passions or learn new skills to enrich your life in 2014 (well besides LS).. or even change it.

Got spare time (ouch)? Always wanted to know more about a certain subject? Take an online course.

Choose subject from Music (Jazz Appreciation starts tomorrow Jan21) to Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Ethics, Food, Health, Literature, Written English and many more.

Courses are made with real classes and free. Meet new peoples (than send them to LS). Developed by University’s professors as UC Berkeley and others. Like the course GSE1x (starts March) Unlocking the Immunity to Change: A New Approach to Personal Improvement, by professors Robert Kegan (Harvard Graduate School of Education) and author Lisa Laskow Lahey.

Check it out here.

Website at www.edx.org . You can also explore with a quick demo course.

Have Fun.

Practice Happiness, it is a choice

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is not much needed.
VanGogh
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:51:48 PM

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have been wanting to expand my English and Profanity to include something a little more acceptable (the Profanity gets me into lots of trouble) .... Conversational French (which shouldn't be that difficult, since French is my country's second language!!) and I am hoping to find a French conversationalist to assist me with this!

Though, since I am heading to Spain later in the year, maybe I need to brush up on my high school Spanish. geek

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

"The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play." - Arnold J. Toynbee
“Everything you can imagine is real.” - Pablo Picasso
emilykiss
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 9:15:00 PM

Yes, this is definitely worth checking out! I just completed an MITx course - it was a blast; seriously affirmed my passion for a course which I am going to pursue at university.
The lectures were brilliant and of the highest standard. What's better is you get those and other resources archived after you have completed the course.

A word of warning though: the workload can be rather taxing, especially with the hardcore science courses. It may state that you can complete the course at your own pace but I would think it highly inadvisable to procrastinate. Even missing one week's worth of lectures and materials had me struggling to get back on track.

I highly recommend it and look forward to hearing what you guys think. Cheers, Lushies. Happy learning.x

CurlyGirly
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:45:56 AM

keoloke wrote:
I would like to share this info with the Lushies.

Uncover new passions or learn new skills to enrich your life in 2014 (well besides LS).. or even change it.

Got spare time (ouch)? Always wanted to know more about a certain subject? Take an online course.

Choose subject from Music (Jazz Appreciation starts tomorrow Jan21) to Biology, Chemistry, Electronics, Ethics, Food, Health, Literature, Written English and many more.

Courses are made with real classes and free. Meet new peoples (than send them to LS). Developed by University’s professors as UC Berkeley and others. Like the course GSE1x (starts March) Unlocking the Immunity to Change: A New Approach to Personal Improvement, by professors Robert Kegan (Harvard Graduate School of Education) and author Lisa Laskow Lahey.

Check it out here.

Website at www.edx.org . You can also explore with a quick demo course.

Have Fun.

thumbup

This is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. I've been perusing some of the course offerings.

Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:56:43 AM

I have several links to sites like this

Academic Earth also has links to various free courses from a number of universities.

Then there is MIT Open Courseware, which has archived courses from that prestigious institution dating back many years.

If you search around, you can find almost limitless opportunities to learn something new.
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:17:31 PM

I have taken extension courses before and I just love it. Usually every year I will give myself a physical challenge and a mental challenge. I haven't decided yet but a few online courses are definitely on the menu. I speak some different languages but I could always improve. Thanks for the reminder OP.
DLizze
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:22:16 PM

Too busy. I have resolved to become reasonably proficient on oboe and bassoon this year, though. Does that count?

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster