Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

do you believe in God? Options · View
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 3:11:14 PM

This is just a friendly discussion so please refrain from fussing and fighting. We all entitled to our own beliefs. With that being said

Do you believe in God(s) or Goddess(es)? Why or why not? please elaborate.
kornslayer1
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:24:29 PM

I don't, but I'll give you a somewhat brief elaboration. There are just too many negative things that are going on now, have in the past, and that show no sign of stopping. I guess where it comes from most are, two things.

1. The second 'baby' my mom gave birth too. He made me hate my childhood for the most part, and forced me to hate him. To add insult to injury, he wonders why I hate him, when he is still the world's biggest asshole, and takes advantage of my mom, and her feelings.

2. When Kim Kardashian can spend $20 million on a wedding dress, and I always see the UNICEF commercials asking people that are having trouble to get by, to donate, I get sick to my stomach. I also see people in my own hometown that are living on the streets. WTF? The rich, are getting richer, and not spreading the wealth.

I know you can't understand the first one, but at least for the second, enough said. There are quite a few other things too, but I won't get into everything.

Thanks for reading my posts, now go to my profile, and check out my stories.
If you have, thanks for reading. It's always appreciated. I know I don't have a Recommended read, or Editors choice, but I think you'll be happy with any story you choose. I write the way I write, and try my best.

lanne
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:55:06 PM

I believe, though what I don't believe in is the Catholic Church, the Bible, and the zealots that quote selective verses to enforce their arguments.
LeRosé
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:58:10 PM

I believe in something bigger than I. Whether that is the classic all powerful being who created and controls us, I'm not sure. However, I do believe that something/one bigger than all of us exists.
Eodman
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:51:55 PM

No, I can't get my head wrapped around the whole supreme being thing! What did the kids in newton do to deserve to die as they did. What did my son's friend die from 2 forms of luekemia do to desrve to die so horribly and in so much pain! What about all the boys that were abused by the fathers of the church how could their sumpreme being allow that to happen? I could go on but you see my problem. For me - it just doesn't work. I was raised Presbyterian and my wife and I raised our boys in the Catholic religion but it I did not try to influence them in either way! They need to make their own decisions!
seeker4
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:24:14 PM

It depends on how one defines "God".

If one defines God as the transcendant Creator/Lord/Judge of traditional Christian belief, then I do not believe in God.

If one defines God more broadly, as that which we find fundamental to our existence; as something bigger than us of which we are a part, then I supposed I could be said to believe in God.

In essence, I am a pantheist of a sort. I believe that the Universe itself is a Divine thing which is a part of us and of which we are a part. It is transcendant to the extent that it is bigger than us and exists beyond us. It is our Creator to the extent that we owe our existence to it. However, I do not see that in terms of a personal God who makes conscious decisions and controls our lives, merely as the creative forces of existence personified with the name "God". I remain agnostic on the matter of a personal deity, meaning that for me such a deity is a matter of faith and, perhaps, mystical experience, neither of which I currently possess. In my view, we are, in a sense, the personal aspect of God.

Recent Stories:

Looking for dessert? Try visiting...

Sweet Tasty Treats

He went looking for an interview. He found something more.

The Professor
BelleduJour
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:39:13 PM

I do indeed. I was raised Catholic with very strong family and spiritual values. These days, I'm much more spiritual than religious but am always mindful that there is a higher power at work.

DainJay
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:59:27 PM

I do believe in god but not in the classic church going ways. I don't have my own whack-ass religion per say but I do express my devoutness in ways that are different from those of the churches. I guess you could probably say that I believe but do not pursue.

Click The Pic
throbbingwetpussy
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:33:51 PM

very much so

olfart
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:32:46 PM

I do believe there is a supreme being.
Jacknife
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:22:32 AM

No, for many reasons!
BritRob
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:59:45 PM

Nope, no religion has ever been able to deliver any compelling evidence to convince me that they are true.

“If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.” Groucho Marx
asleep
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:41:30 PM

BelleduJour wrote:
I do indeed. I was raised Catholic with very strong family and spiritual values. These days, I'm much more spiritual than religious but am always mindful that there is a higher power at work.

Thank you BelleduJour...I'm unable to improve on this. And I was raised Baptist / Methodist with "strong family and spiritual values."

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

Frankenking13
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:36:32 PM

When someone askes me this quesation I always think of this quote.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
Meggsy
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:12:45 PM

How can you believe in something that has never been seen by anybody and can create immaculate conceptions. The only way people hear of his so called utterances are noises in their head.
Mental hospitals are full of them.
The bible to me has so many contradictions in it it is unbelievable.In modern times we have Hans Christian Andersen
Probaly a guy called Jesus lived but the stories are fanciful and could not be true. .
Religion is the biggest con job on earth and the cause of so much evil and death. If there was to be a god there would only be one religion he evidently has the ultimate say. Money and power is the prime aim of all religions.
I believe the Australian aboriginal has the closest thing to a religion - dream time. At least its believable.
OK I have had my say - if you believe - so be it. Just dont try and convert me.
jollyjack
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:13:39 PM

I believe in Father Christmas ❄️

My Karma just ran over your Dogma
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:26:39 PM

I believe there is a Mystery. I don't believe in an all-knowing consciousness that hands out reward and punishment. Morality is invented by man. That's a good thing.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

NightMan
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:01:21 AM

Insufficient Data! I believe it's foolish to affirm or deny the existence of something that has not been proven nor dis proven.I do believe however there are things that are beyond our capability of understanding. And yet we keep trying anyway.Brick wall sheepholy
elicia
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:21:16 AM

I do believe in a supreme being but maybe that's my ego jabbering. I don't believe in a Bible that claims the books were written through disciples by Divine Intervention and then we find that man has willfully not included some Books in the final publication such as the Book of Jesus or the Book of Judas - both left out by man cuz they didn't 'fit' with the "message". If it is true then i bet God was pissed when he met the men who fucked with his book.

I don't believe ANY God would give us sexuality (for example) and then say "you can't do this...and this...and this...Oh! And that with your sexuality and if you do, for example, lay with a man, or practice homosexuality, your penalty will be death (banishment from his Holy Kingdom). There are so many more examples of this kind of "temptation" that results in banishment "if you don't do as I want you to." Oh, by the way," says God, "I'm gonna give you 'free will' too but if choose the wrong path...sorry for your luck." And I don't believe God would be satisfied with 'Stepford' people either. Why give us free will.

Not a very "loving God" for what they all portray this "all-knowing and all loving" entity to be. I want my all-knowing and all loving God to hold me in spite of the fact I'm a lesbian and tell me, "I've been waiting for you" no matter what I have done that doesn't fall in his favor.

However, when you look at the Universe, it is laid out so awesomely perfectly...it gives me the feeling that some Supreme Being is responsible because it is so perfect and vast.

I guess we all find out when our time comes. My 2 cents
chiefnorm
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:13:20 AM

Yes, no reason it's in my heart
Eodman
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:15:43 AM

Hey JollyJack --- I also believe in Emerson, Lake and Palmer!
swollen
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:45:00 AM

I keep an open mind on this one - IMO naive not to, after all no-one can be sure either way.
JohnC
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:18:41 PM

Yes.

Highwayman
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:32:26 PM

If it's there, it's an odd entity, with a disturbing sense of humor. Oddly, the only reason I see others believing in it, are due to human traits. Many want/need something greater than themselves. But for the runners high, do we want to go at it alone, or do we just need companionship? Isn't this time wondrous enough? Other than speculation and mystery, what is there to believe? Adam n Eve, DNA. Arc or evolution? The schism will always persist. It's the longest tennis match ever.

‎"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." --Wilde
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:46:28 PM

I was raised Irish-Catholic and when I was younger was very devout.

Time in the military and college after that changed some perceptions

Now, I don't think He/She/It is quite what any of the major religions say, but what form I can't say.

As a general Idea, yes. As the creator of the universe and guiding hand, no.
naughtynurse
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:30:12 PM

I believe in A god. I just don't believe in the Christian god.

An Editor's Pick

My latest Recomended Read: Something Borrowed
Genteel1957
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:57:58 PM

I believe in God. The thing is to get to know him that is the trick
ColletteXx
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:08:14 PM

No.
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:31:53 PM

I believe in science not fiction! If anyone tries to authenticate Jonah being swallowed by a whale needs their head examining! Evolution is the only explanation!
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:39:53 PM

I appreciate there are other religions other than Christianity! I think they are all a load of bollox! Obviously if people have their faith, that is fine and I will not argue with that..... but I don't like anyone pushing their faith on me!
Buddhism is a fairly peaceful, relaxed religion but the others are all too much to even attempt to comprehend rationally!