Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Legalise prostitution? Options · View
angieseroticpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:54:21 AM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 780
Location: United Kingdom
I agree it should be legalised.

But...

It then becomes a trade like any other and trading income is taxed. Books and records have to be kept. Returns completed. All open to inspection by the authorities.

Then there is the fact that premises need to have standards of conformity for Health & Safety. Fire Regulations etc etc. Once again all open to inspection by the authorities.

Not sure than many service providers/clients will want that.

So, a lot of it will get driven underground. Done in secret. Which is where a lot of it is today.

Back to square one.

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
CliffordAClavin
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:13:02 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/6/2014
Posts: 219
Location: United States
I thought we already had it. Every two years 1100 thugs line up and spend millions of dollars to get one of 535 jobs screwing 315 million Americans.
keoloke
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:54:06 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/12/2010
Posts: 599
Location: United States
Milik_The_Red wrote:
Of course they should. How can a government dictate how a woman (or man for that matter) choose to use their body?



Hmm interesting way to put it.



Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Milik_Redman
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:52:32 PM

Rank: Internet Philosopher

Joined: 8/14/2009
Posts: 4,381
Location: somewhere deep under the Earth, United States
angieseroticpen wrote:
I agree it should be legalised.

But...

It then becomes a trade like any other and trading income is taxed. Books and records have to be kept. Returns completed. All open to inspection by the authorities.

Then there is the fact that premises need to have standards of conformity for Health & Safety. Fire Regulations etc etc. Once again all open to inspection by the authorities.

Not sure than many service providers/clients will want that.

So, a lot of it will get driven underground. Done in secret. Which is where a lot of it is today.

Back to square one.


Perhaps. There will certainly be mandatory testing of the providers. However, even today the so called massage parlor buisness deals with all of the regulation you speak of, including health and safety and taxes.
There are also strip clubs and any number of 'legitimate' outcall escort and massage services who are likewise taxed etc. Of course many of these are already providing sexual services illegally. Changing the law will simply mean they won't have to lie or risk arrest. The same will be true of those who pay for such services.
The one type of sex provider who will be most impacted is the street walker. I cannot imagine any license being issued to allow them to provide drive up service. Those girls (or guys) will have the option of becoming out call or work in one of the above establishments, thereby getting away from criminal Pimps.
The market for those girls won't vanish, but with other, safer options it may reduce.

“It is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero


My Editors Choice Award Winning Stories.








hayley
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:02:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/19/2012
Posts: 608
Location: NYC, United States
Meggsy wrote:
We have them here in Sydney - and they are well used. There many in Australia. In Western Australia thay actually conduct tours of the brothel and some days they say they make more from tours than the girls. I have done the tour and seen the theme rooms, and I could not fault the place. I could never work in one though - I could not enjoy having sex just for money, and prefer to choose the partner I want to share myself with.
I believe that every city should have legal prostitution.


hello1 hello1 hello2

Abracadabra
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 1:50:41 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 12/8/2013
Posts: 22
Location: Canada
It should be legal.....after we get rid of all the religious nonsense...maybe then...
Guest
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 2:42:03 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,338
The US doesn't need any more problems than it already has . So' i'd have to say no .
brankob
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 3:25:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 4/5/2014
Posts: 50
Yes,why not!? The prostitution is oldest job and I think it s a job like every other.
Teen_lover
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 4:11:24 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 9/5/2013
Posts: 59
Wardog wrote:



Once again my friend RIGHT ON! thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup



wanna a point add to this and that is the person both girl and boy go with prostitute they also must be have a valid id and it should be noted in a record.
Weavindreams
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:51:48 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2013
Posts: 5,681
Location: On the bluffs above the Mississippi River., United
Ajax wrote:
The US doesn't need any more problems than it already has . So' i'd have to say no .


Yeah we sure do just ask the CDC about the spread of AIDS and other STD's due to a lack of regulation of the prostitution that DOES ALREADY EXIST. As the poster above points out utilizing the intelligent and ADULT approach used in Thailand whereby they are liscensed, regulated and taxed and you could BOTH reduce the spread of such diseases AND bring in enough tax money to make a HUGE dent in our run away national debt (TWO big problems overcome with an open minded adult approach rather than the religion dictated approach currently FAILING US!)

CrossOfStAndrew
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 10:31:16 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/23/2011
Posts: 130
Location: United States
Yes, absolutely. I think most vice laws, in a "free society", are absolute crap anyway. Legalise, REGULATE, and then tax! National deficit: "Gone in 60 seconds!"....It'll also minimize - if not get rid of - pimps: it wouldn't be as profitable for them.
LASARDaddy
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 11:24:55 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/22/2013
Posts: 741
Location: Windsor, United States
It shouldn't be against the law and s only because of religion. There are way to many people who think they are so "Godly" in their being that they can tell us how to think. Jimmy Swaggert and Jim Baker showed us all about that but everyone has forgotten them. They should have received Academy Awards for their performances.

Anyone who tells me they know the mind of God is the most arrogant asshole in existence, and there are a bunch of them out there. I hear from a couple of them every day in my store and they have the unmitigated gall to knock on my door at home and stop me on the street to tell me.

I am NEVER rude and NEVER try to destroy anyone's beliefs, until they attack mine, but few will come back because I have better arguments about why He can't exist than they have about why He can.

Legalizing it will never work though because to many of us have that insatiable need to dominate. The government will screw it up with control driven by the churches.

This is a major argument of mine I found many years ago. I am a Taoist.




I am always a gentleman.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 4:18:47 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,338
Weavindreams wrote:


Yeah we sure do just ask the CDC about the spread of AIDS and other STD's due to a lack of regulation of the prostitution that DOES ALREADY EXIST. As the poster above points out utilizing the intelligent and ADULT approach used in Thailand whereby they are liscensed, regulated and taxed and you could BOTH reduce the spread of such diseases AND bring in enough tax money to make a HUGE dent in our run away national debt (TWO big problems overcome with an open minded adult approach rather than the religion dictated approach currently FAILING US!)



Those places aren't the USA though. we'ed find some way to fuck it up.
Weavindreams
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 6:23:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2013
Posts: 5,681
Location: On the bluffs above the Mississippi River., United
IF you intend to wait for governmental perfection EVERYTHING will come to a halt. Better to get SOME benefit from an imperfect system than NO benefit due to a lack of even trying. How many lives MIGHT have been saved IF such a system had been in place when the Aids epidemic got away from us because it wasn't?

Sssnake
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:40:10 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/20/2010
Posts: 226
Location: I Don't Know, United States
It Should Be Legal To Sell But Not To Buy!
ByronLord
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:58:29 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/14/2010
Posts: 753
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Should be legal to buy or sell. The state has no business regulating behavior between consenting adults.

Legalize prostitution and pot. Ban the guns.

seeker4
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:04:29 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/17/2012
Posts: 3,487
Location: Gone walkabout, Canada
Canada is probably headed into this debate very soon. Our current regime (legal to sell sex, but many associated activities like keeping a brothel, communicating for the purpose of soliciting sex, and accepting payment from a prostitute are not) was blown apart by our Supreme Court last December, with many of the restrictions being ruled unconstitutional but a stay was put on the ruling to give the government time to do something.

If the government does not enact new legislation by Dec. 15, 2014, prostitution will be fully legal though, of course, municipalities will be free to step in with licensing regimes and such like as they do now for strip clubs, massage parlours, and other legal sex trades.

However, given that we have a conservative Conservative government and that the Liberal Party (currently the third party but with a good chance of moving back into government in the next election) seems to lean towards it on protection of women grounds, most of us are betting that the Nordic model (basically what SSSnake advocated a couple posts up) is what we will get. Prostitutes get steered to social services, johns and pimps head to prison.

Personally, I'm in favour of decriminalization with regulation and licensing regimes (health checks, STD testing, etc.)


Stories that satisfy about people seeking satisfaction

Satisfaction in the Park

Satisfaction in the Library
Shaman
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:12:42 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/5/2013
Posts: 501
Location: In a Galaxy far far away, United States
when I was younger people went to jail for marijuana,gambling,and all sort of incarnate things.Now times have changed prostitution should be as well
dknowsitall
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:08:26 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 4/2/2014
Posts: 28
Location: United Kingdom
Yes - it has to be better regulated than a black market free for all
dknowsitall
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:08:56 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 4/2/2014
Posts: 28
Location: United Kingdom
Plus I could then google which ones were good!
ChateauGrand
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:16:22 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 5/25/2014
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Broccck wrote:
I agree that it should be legalized. BUT I want to make one thing clear: "Eve" was NOT a prostitute. Think of the statement: "It's the world's oldest profession." How do we know what the oldest profession is? How do we know whether it was a man or woman that practiced it? [Today we just assume in most cases we are speaking about women. Thus the word "Brothels."]
That statement says: Women created the first profession and in this case practiced it. Secondly, it says that that profession was prostitution: sex for money or pay of some kind. I believe that the more one examines it, the more one realizes that it is not meant to be a compliment to the female gender today, nor to what they do when they engage in the act, which was a part of human anatomy in the first place, to reproduce the human species.
So while I will agree it should be legal and regulated for safety, I will not agree that it is a profession of exclusively women, initiated by women, nor that it is the oldest profession.


You won't agree that prostitution is the world's oldest profession because that implies a woman created the world's oldest profession? And because a made-up person named Eve wasn't a prostitute?

Sure, it's not exclusive to women, and whether or not it's the world's oldest profession is debatable (Though it most likely is, due to the fact that it would have arisen before even a hunter-gatherer society), but your reasoning come off as being extremely sexist because you're saying "There's no way a WOMAN created the world's oldest profession. Bah! That completely contradicts pre-conceived notions I believe about the capabilities of women!"
Dancewithme
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 2:24:47 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 1,314
Location: United States
ChateauGrand wrote:


You won't agree that prostitution is the world's oldest profession because that implies a woman created the world's oldest profession? And because a made-up person named Eve wasn't a prostitute?

Sure, it's not exclusive to women, and whether or not it's the world's oldest profession is debatable (Though it most likely is, due to the fact that it would have arisen before even a hunter-gatherer society), but your reasoning come off as being extremely sexist because you're saying "There's no way a WOMAN created the world's oldest profession. Bah! That completely contradicts pre-conceived notions I believe about the capabilities of women!"


(1) I make no apology for my defense of women. I have done it all my adult life and am proud of it in spite of my many truly humbling flaws as a human being and in the less than perfect ways I may have done it. My intention was always to show compassion for the plight of women.
(2) PROVE to me what the oldest profession was, and that it WAS during the time of or prior to hunter-gatherers as you say.
N. B.: A profession arises when any trade or occupation transforms itself through "the development of formal qualifications based upon education, apprenticeship, and examinations, the emergence of regulatory bodies with powers to admit and discipline members, and some degree of monopoly rights (Alan Bullock & Stephen Trombley, The New Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought, London: Harper-Collins, 1999, p.689.)

That definition implies that professions arose long after the stage of hunter-gatherers.
So, again, once "professions" come into being in the true sense, how do we know for certain what the first profession was?????

I chose Eve, someone you say is a made-up character because men have long claimed women introduced evil into the world based on a specific hermeneutic of what you call a made-up character (Eve). I thought it took two to tango?????
The first sexual acts between men and women, women and women, and men and men, required more than a woman!! How can we say it was Eve, or in reality some woman named Mable, when there HAD to be someone else involved!

The whole idea of sex as the "oldest profession" I submit to you is itself spurious,
and at base, likely to be sexist.




Talent is god given be humble. Fame is man given be thankful. Conceit is self given be careful.

John Wooden
UCLA basketball coach
LittleLuce
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 12:31:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/14/2013
Posts: 5,265
Location: Here n' there, United Kingdom
If it were to be made legal then I agree with what Cooldaddy suggested but I think that as an added safety measure, anyone using these places should also be made to carry a medical card that states they have had a checkup once a month, maybe a swipe card. This would also help to protect anyone they slept with who are not working at the brothel.




Volya
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 8:28:30 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 10/9/2013
Posts: 55
Location: United States
Personally, I've got no argument against legalization. That said, I think that everyone needs to peer out from under the rose colored glasses and contemplate what would likely happen next.

The direct overhead costs to do business in the sex trade are going to go up. Licensing fees, health checks, taxes, advertising -- to name a couple right off the top of my head -- are all expenses that will be passed along to the customer.

The indirect costs to the average taxpayer (the majority of whom are not going to be customers) are going to go up as well. All of the folks who are going to be tasked with monitoring and regulating the business are going to be civil servants. I'd also expect that the health care providers who are going to be performing all those health checks are going to be part of a local health department, even if they contract out the actual lab testing. Increased police presence in sanctioned red light districts is also likely, which will mean either more cops on the payroll or decreased police presence elsewhere in the locality.

Since we've talked about protecting the girls, then I'd also expect that this is going to necessitate adding case workers to social services departments.

If local/state governments demand that all of these services come at no additional cost to the average taxpayer that means that local tax sales rates for the sex industry is going to be pretty steep.

Ultimately, this means that the cost to the "Johns" will go up.

And you know what? The higher cost at the sanctioned brothels is going to be undercut by unregulated streetwalkers (and their pimps) anyway, so that part of the sex trade isn't going to magically disappear. It will probably be somewhat reduced though, which would be a positive thing.

So, the pragmatic way to proceed would be to crunch the numbers and arrive at a decision based on an impartial cost/benefit analysis.

And yes, we Yanks have still got our heads up our tight asses -- and I blame you folks in the UK. Had you not made it so damn oppressive for the Puritans, they wouldn't have felt forced to venture into the wild unknown of the New World. We're still paying the price going on 500 years later... ;)
simplyjohn
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:56:51 AM

Rank: Chat Moderator

Joined: 11/24/2011
Posts: 6,294
Location: Eating bloody salad, United Kingdom
Volya wrote:


Ultimately, this means that the cost to the "Johns" will go up.




What! Why should John's pay more than anyone else .. thats so unfair!
kiera
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:55:26 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/23/2013
Posts: 10,147
Location: sipping tea , United Kingdom
simplyjohn wrote:


What! Why should John's pay more than anyone else .. thats so unfair!


You best not put my rates up u said its free for me
simplyjohn
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:35:52 AM

Rank: Chat Moderator

Joined: 11/24/2011
Posts: 6,294
Location: Eating bloody salad, United Kingdom
kiera wrote:


You best not put my rates up u said its free for me


For you its always free sexy .. really I couldnt charge much for just 90 seconds anyway could I lol.
kiera
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:59:25 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/23/2013
Posts: 10,147
Location: sipping tea , United Kingdom
simplyjohn wrote:


For you its always free sexy .. really I couldnt charge much for just 90 seconds anyway could I lol.


True that would be a monumental rip off best to give it away for free Whistle
ChuckEPoo
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:50:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/30/2013
Posts: 262
Location: Ventura, United States
I found it interesting to read the well written arguments for both yay and nay. I believe prostitution is legal in some counties in Nevada. How is it working there? I think the real problem with legalization won't be with the vanilla sex acts of some old lonely guy wanting to get laid but with an increasingly deviate appetite for what will never be legal. Things like underage sex, extreme bondage, or sickos that want to hurt others, will always be illegal. We all ready have legalized prostitution in Washington. Those prostitutes go by the name of politicians. It would be natural for them to run the prostitution and drug trade. We could just cut out the middle men do gangsters and funnel it directly to the source. bootyshake
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:30:27 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,290
Location: Cakeland, United States
The prostitute is paid - to go away, after the encounter.

Would legalizing the practice guarantee that when you request a Farrah Fawcett look-a-like, you wouldn't be opening the door to a chubby or aged Melanie Griffin clone with botoxed lips and cemented fake breasts?

I've never ordered up a prostitute but I have a few male friends who have, and I've represented a couple in recent years. I believe in truth-in-advertising. I've heard the stories from my buds of their ordeals...and I call them ordeals because of what transpired for them.

Still...I'd agree with Byron Lord (except the part about banning the handguns). How else is that young woman going to be able to protect herself from some misogynistic john who decides to go apeshit when she refuses condomless anal pile-driver?

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.