Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Would you donate your body to science or for organ donation? Options · View
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:43:22 PM

When you die, would you care if your body was donated for science or used for organ donation?
Why or why not?
thepainter
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:08:42 PM

I actually signed up for organ donation and the whole nine yards back in the late 1990s. I had a Dutch donor certificate but didn't bother getting a new one when my wallet got stolen.
Now that I'm working international jobs I'm not even sure how it would work if I pass away abroad, would they ship back my corpse to the Netherlands to harvest everything? Especially since many organs and tissues have to be harvested within a certain time frame or else it's too late.

So I basically thought about this quite some time ago and since I don't want to be buried but cremated I don't mind if some of my parts can be used to help the field of medicine and other human beings' lives.

That's just me though.

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:14:26 PM

I'm already signed up as well. All of my organs as well as any tissues can be used,eyes etc. Then when they've finished harvesting what they need, if they need what's left of the cadaver and they want to use it at school they may. When finished, I'll be cremated. As long as what they need isn't diseased they will/can use it.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:28:03 PM

I'm definitely in favour of organ donation.

I don't have any set preferences in terms of what happens to me after I die. I would rather be used to help others live, or improve their quality of life rather than rot in the ground, but that's just me.

Once I have passed away, I don't have any attachment to what happens to the physical body I leave behind.

This may sound morbid of me, but I'm not even opposed to donating my body to the world of art such as Dr Gunther von Hagens body plastination exhibitions like Body Worlds. I think it's an ingenious exhibit, and has gone a long way in teaching people about the human body, how it works and common diseases. I've lived most of my life in the art world, and so it would almost seem befitting to be immortalized that way. Or maybe I'm just being an exhibitionist even in death?

Anyway, organ donation first... what happens afterwards, I'm openminded about various possibilities.

MahlerSymphony
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:30:19 PM

Absolutely. Use whatever is of service or value, I won't need it anymore.
fredatpell
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:38:59 PM

organ donation the only why to go
darkchallenger
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:39:10 PM

My organs are up for grabs once I'm finished using them. I'm taking my books with me though. I knew someone who donated his body to a University. I thought about it, but I'm too shy!
Lydia_
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:51:55 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
I'm already signed up as well. All of my organs as well as any tissues can be used,eyes etc. Then when they've finished harvesting what they need, if they need what's left of the cadaver and they want to use it at school they may. When finished, I'll be cremated. As long as what they need isn't diseased they will/can use it.

I'm not signed up as of yet, I wanted to think about it. But yeah, pretty much what Chef said.

Wishing you well,
Lydia

Please check out:
You give Such Sweet Punishment
My love poem: Gone From Me
An office part takes an interesting turn in Drunk Off Lust
Friends exploring their newly found affection in Wake Up Shower
I've also finally found the Best Cure for Boredom
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:08:18 PM

Now that others have responded, I'll add mine...

I am in complete favour of organ donation. If my body parts can help someone, then they can go ahead.

But donating to science.... I used to be in total favour of this as well. After all...I'll be dead so what do I care? But after actually doing cadaver disections, I think I would have a hard time putting myself in that position. After seeing someone's naked body on a table while students slice into it, making funny comments, I would think twice about doing it. I probably still would do it, because it all remains quite anonymous, but that experience definately has made me think differently about it.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:25:37 PM

DamonX wrote:

I am in complete favour of organ donation. If my body parts can help someone, then they can go ahead.

But donating to science.... I used to be in total favour of this as well. After all...I'll be dead so what do I care? But after actually doing cadaver disections, I think I would have a hard time putting myself in that position. After seeing someone's naked body on a table while students slice into it, making funny comments, I would think twice about doing it. I probably still would do it, because it all remains quite anonymous, but that experience definately has made me think differently about it.

This reminds me of the time I was visiting a friend who was in chiropractic college in Chicago. He ended up taking me and a few others into the cadaver lab (on Hallowe'en no less!) to "show us" what a dissection lab really looks like. I agree, there was nothing 'scientific' about the way these students were handling the cadavers... especially when they started tossing around a liver in an effort to scare us... happy8

WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:42:10 PM

Have at my corpse, it won't matter one bit to my dead brain. I would be amazed that there would be anything salvageable.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:43:16 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
DamonX wrote:

This reminds me of the time I was visiting a friend who was in chiropractic college in Chicago. He ended up taking me and a few others into the cadaver lab (on Hallowe'en no less!) to "show us" what a dissection lab really looks like. I agree, there was nothing 'scientific' about the way these students were handling the cadavers... especially when they started tossing around a liver in an effort to scare us... happy8

Ahhh, great. Another reason for me to hate chiropracters!

Our cadaver lab was locked down tighter than Fort Knox. We were not allowed to ever take anyone in. They even checked us for cameras and cell phones before we went in. If we had done something like those people did, we would have been kicked out and given a "fail" in the class.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:51:24 PM

DamonX wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:
DamonX wrote:

Ahhh, great. Another reason for me to hate chiropracters!

Our cadaver lab was locked down tighter than Fort Knox. We were not allowed to ever take anyone in. They even checked us for cameras and cell phones before we went in. If we had done something like those people did, we would have been kicked out and given a "fail" in the class.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised they were so lax about it! I even felt guilty going in there. The entire situation was quite creepy. The fact that they left it open on the evening of Hallowe'en (you needed a key, but nobody was checking any ID or anything) seemed rather risky as well. A non-chiro-student friend of mine even ended up handling some of the organs. I just hung around the fringes of the lab and prayed I wasn't being lured into a bad zombie prank... happy8

Jillicious
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:21:21 PM

I'm an organ donor. At least potentially anyways.

I'm not so sure I want to be dissected. I've heard interesting stories about cadaver labs.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
QuasiMoto
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 7:24:51 AM

If I'm done with it they can have whatever I havent ruined already.
MMonroe
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 1:27:04 PM

I'm already signed up for the NHS to cut me up and give my body parts to those who need it :D

When my brother died they managed to use some leg muscle, skin and eyes and helped about 20 people from his leg alone..... well worth it i say!!!

*Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?*

Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 4:32:39 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I'm definitely in favour of organ donation.

I don't have any set preferences in terms of what happens to me after I die. I would rather be used to help others live, or improve their quality of life rather than rot in the ground, but that's just me.

Once I have passed away, I don't have any attachment to what happens to the physical body I leave behind.

This may sound morbid of me, but I'm not even opposed to donating my body to the world of art such as Dr Gunther von Hagens body plastination exhibitions like Body Worlds. I think it's an ingenious exhibit, and has gone a long way in teaching people about the human body, how it works and common diseases. I've lived most of my life in the art world, and so it would almost seem befitting to be immortalized that way. Or maybe I'm just being an exhibitionist even in death?

Anyway, organ donation first... what happens afterwards, I'm openminded about various possibilities.

There you go again Dancing_Doll and stealing,all my thunder. I have not been in the art world, but if there is any benefit in a second use of my body, please be my guest. If I were to die next week, I would love to be on display, but if it is not for another 40 years, better assign me to a medical school
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 5:04:57 PM

We went and saw this in Tampa a few years ago. It was wonderful and a great teaching tool.
Quote:

Celebrate the wonder of the human form at BODIES…The Exhibition, a phenomenal exhibition about the amazing and complex machine we call the human body.

This Exhibition--which features actual human specimens--allows people of all ages access to sights and knowledge normally reserved only for medical professionals. Take the opportunity to peer inside yourself, to better understand how your elaborate and fascinating body works, and how you can become a more informed participant in your own health care.

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/
Bunny12
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 5:41:33 PM

No wouldn't do it. I've got too many things wrong with me wouldn't wanna give someone a bad part!

Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
FantasyFiction
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 6:18:57 PM

already signed up as an organ donor.

Success is doing what you love, and doing it so well that someone will pay you for it.
http://www.lushstories.com/fantasyfiction
DamonX
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:12:19 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
We went and saw this in Tampa a few years ago. It was wonderful and a great teaching tool.
Quote:

Celebrate the wonder of the human form at BODIES…The Exhibition, a phenomenal exhibition about the amazing and complex machine we call the human body.

This Exhibition--which features actual human specimens--allows people of all ages access to sights and knowledge normally reserved only for medical professionals. Take the opportunity to peer inside yourself, to better understand how your elaborate and fascinating body works, and how you can become a more informed participant in your own health care.

These exhibits are amazing! There is another one called "body worlds" which is great as well. If you've ever done human dissections, you can really appreciate the skill gone in to creating these as well. I highly recommend it. (the exhibits, not human dissections) happy8
Remington
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:17:19 PM

I'm an organ donor!

Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story

Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 10:38:23 PM

I have a horrible body-- worse shape ever and it's certainly nothing I want anyone else having. I'd donate to science though. I see nothing wrong with that.
myself
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:33:04 AM

My Uncle Darrel passed from lung cancer. Of course, it was terrible for Darrel and for all of us. He did not want to die in a hospital so, we took him home and with the help of Hospice learned to give the morphine and other things. Darrel had made arrangements to donate his body to science. The morning he passed the men came and took his body away. When they were done with their research, they cremated his remains at no charge and gave his ashes to his family.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
INNOCENTMISERY
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:55:02 AM

I've already told my fiancee that I'm signed up as a donor. I told her to let them take whatever they can use to help others. After that, they can cremate the rest.

"Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)"
"Nil satis nisi optimum. (Nothing but the best will do.)"
"I hate it when things don't go my way. It makes me so...horny." - Sarah Michelle Gellar (Kathryn, Cruel Intentions)
"Sex is just alone time with someone else there." - Taint on The Lex And Terry Show, 11/11/09
"Stupidity isn't a crime, so you're free to go."
"I am The Devil, too. There can only be one devil. One of us must go." - Ozzy Osbourne at the end of his cover of "Sympathy For The Devil"
"Your ego is not your amigo." - Nikki Sixx, The Heroin Diaries
"It's my world. I'm just letting you live here." - Mandy, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:35:21 AM

DamonX wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
Quote:

These exhibits are amazing! There is another one called "body worlds" which is great as well. If you've ever done human dissections, you can really appreciate the skill gone in to creating these as well. I highly recommend it. (the exhibits, not human dissections) happy8

Haven't heard of Body Worlds. I'd like to see it. Have done human dissections. I'd recommend that as well. LOL
DamonX
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:38:50 PM

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

It has been banned in quite a few countries since some governments percieve it to be "profiting off the sale of dead body parts" which is ridiculous.
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:43:40 AM

What a great idea. Very interesting.
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:46:52 AM

Been signed up for organ donation followed by cremation for a lo-ooong time, however, after I got married (back in 1398) I had to 'sell' the idea of organ donation to my bride. She is/was not keen so we compromised.

When I shed this mortal coil they can harvest any part of me that is worth having EXCEPT my eyes - wife cannot stand the thought of these baby blues looking at anyone but her. Sweet!!
clown

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 10:06:08 AM

I will be a donor as well, I wont need organs when I'm dead. Others may benefit from my organs so I'm all for it, I had a colleague who had a liver transplant and was given an extra shot at life. Though my liver may not be too healthy when I go drunken

As far as a teaching tool at a medical facility, sure, no problem ... my body is just a shell at that point. I'd be honored if students can learn from my shell.