Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The ethics of wearing fur or animal skins Options · View
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 7:50:07 PM

I had a question stemming out of the PETA post in the Pub...

Do you believe it's ethical to wear fur and wild animal skins as part of fashion in today's modern era?
Do guys find a woman wearing it sexy or a 'turn off' based on the animal rights debate?
For those that do wear it, does the potential reaction of those that condemn it concern you or factor into your decision to purchase it?

What about leather and animal skins like 'shearling'? Do you see any difference about wearing that?

Since 'body hair' seems to be such a popular topic on the forums, hopefully the concept of 'fur' generates equal attention... icon_smile

Rembacher
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 7:56:25 PM

Maybe it's because I grew up in a farming community. That's just a fact of life. Farmers raise the animals so that we have food to eat. And if you are going to kill an animal, why not use as much of it as you can? Not sure about furs. I can't say I find them attractive, but that has nothing to do with morality. But I definitely think the right woman in a leather jacket can be very sexy.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 8:27:31 PM

Why yes. Wearing fur CAN be sexy...

Jillicious
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 10:10:53 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
Why yes. Wearing fur CAN be sexy... ]

Davy Crockett concurs.

rxtales
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 11:04:51 PM

Well as a vegetarian, I don't support wearing fur, leather or anything else that has been killed to be worn or eaten. I have a lot of reasons for this. I have only recently become a vegetarian in the past 7 months or so. My reasons have less to do with hurting animals and more to do with environmental reasons.

-A lot more energy is used to produce meat than it is to produce vegetables.
-By eating grains and vegetables you are using our food resources more efficiently. Less agricultural resources to provide for the same number of people

The way in which animals are killed also plays a part in why I am a vegetarian. (I saw a pig being beaten by hammer - yummy dinner!) I became one after working on a small sustainable farm in Belize. After seeing a lot of small farms in that region I then thought about how much worse the places we buy our meat from are. Where meat is mass produced and slaughter houses are exactly humane.

There are also health reasons. The animals are fed antibiotics and hormones. Also travelling a lot of the bugs people pick up are from eating meat, even when it's cooked. And after seeing how meat is handled in many parts of the world has just turned me off of it completely. It can be harder to keep a balanced diet and I do tend to eat more carbs, but I can get an equally balanced diet now as I did when I ate meat.

Although I do eat eggs and dairy products, this is something I am working towards not doing when I get back to the western world. Because of the countries I have been travelling in, pretty much the only form of protein I can get is through eggs. I rarely drink milk. And now that I am in South East Asia I rarely eat eggs since there is so much soya around.

And sorry for slightly hijacking your thread, but my reasons for not eating meat is the same as my reasons for not wearing fur.

Playmale
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 11:35:21 PM

rxtales wrote:
I don't support wearing fur, leather or anything else that has been killed to be worn or eaten.

I have a shirt made from hemp and I'm pretty sure the hemp was killed to make the shirt.

You hit all the best reasons not to eat meat, efficiency, purity of food chain, responsible animal husbandry, good health.

I still say, eat the meat, wear the skin.
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 11:44:16 PM

I have leather jackets, boots, k-Swiss, chairs, seats in my car and truck, belts etc.

Leather last forever. The more I wear my leather boots the more comfortable they become. If they get messed up I can get them fixed. I'm not an eviromentalist or an economist so forgive me if my opinion seems naive. Leather last so long that I feel it is actually good for humans to use it. In the long run a leather jacket might outlast ten cotton ones. Seems like less of a waste of resources to me.

LadyX
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 11:51:55 PM

If god didn't want us to wear leather and furs- he wouldn't have made animals out of them.

evil4

She
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:24:46 AM

I am a vegan for years now (not one of those people who are walking around and telling everyone how meat is bad for your karma..) and I don't wear fur but only because I don't like it on me or how I feel wearing it however I would never give up on leather shoes.
We live in world where human race is on top of food chain and is 'natural' to eat 'lower' species..

With what I do have problem is abuse. Abuse in any posible way. In the past I saw few documentaries on Discovery channel and how those guys are abusive towards animals, very disgusting..
Like Playmale said eat it and than wear it, but kill it with dignity..
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:29:29 AM

LadyX wrote:
If god didn't want us to wear leather and furs- he wouldn't have made animals out of them.

I have no problem with people being vegan, or vegetarian, or whatever the cool new buzzword is. If that's your choice, I don't care if you've made that choice for health reasons, or moral reasons, or ethical reasons... it's none of my business, really. You've made your choice, and I can respect that. But still...

If God didn't mean for us to eat animals, why did HE make them so fucking tasty?

castlequeen
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:30:40 AM

I wear leather and have no problem with it, being an efficient use of the animal. Use all of it and we've been smart, killing a mink for no other reason that to take it's pelt is sick. If we ate the entire mink, that'd be one thing, but we don't. Actually, can you even eat mink? And furthermore, I never was a fur girl, I have two jackets with fake fur trim, so that's okay, but I never wanted a mink coat.

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
x3holly
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:28:48 PM

I've never posted on a forum... but this is one of my big issues in life, so if I do this wrong. I apologize.

No, I personally do not support wearing furs in any way.
I understand that no matter how hard a group of people fight animals will still be killed for useless reasons. If the animal was already killed for uses of meat, then it would make sense to use the skin and fur as well. If that was the simplicity of the case then there would be no argument to be had.
Oftentimes, animals are killed ruthlessly just to make fur clothing. Have you ever read the numbers it takes to make a mink coat? Yeah, those babies aren't killed for meat, they're killed strictly to be worn.
With so many other alternatives for clothing why is it necessary to wear such outrageous animal clothing?
It's not, people do it to be obnoxious and flaunt their wealth.
There's plenty of beautiful faux furs.
As far as leather goes, I guess I can't argue that point. I'm in no way vegan. My parents have leather couches at home, and I wear leather shoes. So, if the animal has already been killed then I figure you might as well make their death as productive as possible and not a waste.
Maybe that is hypocritical of me, almost making the cow less important than a mink. This isn't the way I intended to come off, I just simply want to justify the stupidity of the human race as much as possible.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:33:12 PM

x3holly wrote:
I've never posted on a forum... but this is one of my big issues in life, so if I do this wrong. I apologize.

No, I personally do not support wearing furs in any way.
I understand that no matter how hard a group of people fight animals will still be killed for useless reasons. If the animal was already killed for uses of meat, then it would make sense to use the skin and fur as well. If that was the simplicity of the case then there would be no argument to be had.
Oftentimes, animals are killed ruthlessly just to make fur clothing. Have you ever read the numbers it takes to make a mink coat? Yeah, those babies aren't killed for meat, they're killed strictly to be worn.
With so many other alternatives for clothing why is it necessary to wear such outrageous animal clothing?
It's not, people do it to be obnoxious and flaunt their wealth.
There's plenty of beautiful faux furs.
As far as leather goes, I guess I can't argue that point. I'm in no way vegan. My parents have leather couches at home, and I wear leather shoes. So, if the animal has already been killed then I figure you might as well make their death as productive as possible and not a waste.
Maybe that is hypocritical of me, almost making the cow less important than a mink. This isn't the way I intended to come off, I just simply want to justify the stupidity of the human race as much as possible.

Great post Holly! I absolutely agree with everything you said, and 100% share your views on this. Hope to see more of your posts in the forum! You summed it up very well! 3601

Woman
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:01:24 AM

I have a two fold opinion on this.

Generally speaking... I personally do no wear furs and such when I live in a climate that really doesn't need it. I don't get angry or upset with anyone that does. It is a choice.

BUT

I have lived in the arctic, where there is temps that drop to about -70, and walking from the door to your truck about five metres away, you have frost bite, your eyes water and partially freeze and much much more. It is a fact of life up there that you wear fur as it is warm. I've a pair of seal skin boots, which are impractical for anywhere else in Canada other than Nunavut. I've a black wolf's trim around my arctic weather parka. I've rabbit fur mitts. It is part of life up there. And it really is in my opinion just sad when we got off the plane in Regina, and out the arrival gate, and people would stop and stare, throw paint at us, because they think we are wearing these things for fashion.

It is as simple as this to many of the hunters; we need to eat. Our food comes wrapped up in a package that we can use to survive. Your food comes wrapped in plastic. Which is better for the environment?

I've known men and women, whose only source of income is by hunting. They choose to live off the land as their ancestors have done for thousands of years. They even live in an igloo come winter. It is their tradition. The government does regulate hunting of many of the animals though, and fines are VERY strict if laws are broken.

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:00:52 AM

Woman wrote:
I have a two fold opinion on this.

Generally speaking... I personally do no wear furs and such when I live in a climate that really doesn't need it. I don't get angry or upset with anyone that does. It is a choice.

BUT

I have lived in the arctic, where there is temps that drop to about -70, and walking from the door to your truck about five metres away, you have frost bite, your eyes water and partially freeze and much much more. It is a fact of life up there that you wear fur as it is warm. I've a pair of seal skin boots, which are impractical for anywhere else in Canada other than Nunavut. I've a black wolf's trim around my arctic weather parka. I've rabbit fur mitts. It is part of life up there. And it really is in my opinion just sad when we got off the plane in Regina, and out the arrival gate, and people would stop and stare, throw paint at us, because they think we are wearing these things for fashion.

It is as simple as this to many of the hunters; we need to eat. Our food comes wrapped up in a package that we can use to survive. Your food comes wrapped in plastic. Which is better for the environment?

I've known men and women, whose only source of income is by hunting. They choose to live off the land as their ancestors have done for thousands of years. They even live in an igloo come winter. It is their tradition. The government does regulate hunting of many of the animals though, and fines are VERY strict if laws are broken.

I agree that in certain climates, fur may be the most logical choice. I also don't have any issue with using skins of animals that have been hunted and eaten for food (including farm animals like cow, goat or sheep). It makes sense to use the entire animal. I'd also imagine that the fur products up in Nunavut are a lot more practical in design than the ones used by fashion designers and couture houses.

My real issue with fur is when it is obtained on fur farms and hunting animals where the sole interest is in their skins. To my knowledge nobody is eating mink, fox or chinchilla. Especially those obvious non-hunters who are carrying lattes and wearing stilettos.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:22:04 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
To my knowledge nobody is eating mink, fox or chinchilla. Especially those obvious non-hunters who are carrying lattes and wearing stilettos.

*puts down starbucks cup, removes fur coat, slinks away with a sulk*
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:26:27 AM

LadyX wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:
To my knowledge nobody is eating mink, fox or chinchilla. Especially those obvious non-hunters who are carrying lattes and wearing stilettos.

Unless you're eating one of those chinchilla wraps with the ranch sauce that are in the refrigerated section next to the Starbucks brand water... then you can leave the coat on. glasses8

Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:39:19 AM

Leather cowboy style work boots with no laces or anything are a must for my line of work. If I don't wear leather boots I'll go through a pair of regular work boots a month. Plus the soles can be replaced by a cobbler fairly cheaply. I've had my current two pairs I alternate for three years now.

I have some dress boots made out of deer leather and another pair made of ostrich leather... Those aren't too popular with animal rights crusaders but shit they do last forever and they just look better and better the more I wear them. Those shitty 5 dollar semi disposable flip flops from old navy have probably filled a landfill or two. I don't know anyone throwing away a pair of crocodile skin shoes...

EDIT: after I posted this I scrolled up and realized I already posted something along these same lines. Sorry bout that...

sprite
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:58:31 AM

ok, moral quandry. i am a vegetarian. in fact, we just got our adpoted T'day turkey in the mail. she's really cute, this is our 4th turkey - her name is Kima and she lives in New York. I won't wear fur (honestly, i don't think it's sexy, it just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth) but i have to admit, i own some leather. i try not to think about it too much, i mean, i am doing my part by not eating meat, right? still, i know better, and i do feel guilt about it whenever the subject is brought up. thankfully, latex doesn't come from a living creature...

i, too, am not one of those people who insist others share my lifestyle, it's a personal choice. that said, if people took a closer look at how most animals are treated before they become dinner, they might think twice about having a burger. saying it's inhumane doesn't really even touch the tip of the ice burg. It's cruel beyond belief. imagine Aushwitz for animals and you might get the idea. just the thought of the reality of it, and yes, i have looked into the subject and KNOW the reality of it - makes me sick to my stomache. ok, so... keeping my leather and vowing not to buy any more. that should appease the guilt somewhat.
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:02:21 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:

Unless you're eating one of those chinchilla wraps with the ranch sauce that are in the refrigerated section next to the Starbucks brand water... then you can leave the coat on. glasses8

would it be wholly inapropriate to tell Xuani that she can wrap me around her to keep her warm? i'm more then happy to do my part of saving cute little animals even if it means naked snuggling! drunken
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:26:04 PM

sprite wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:

would it be wholly inapropriate to tell Xuani that she can wrap me around her to keep her warm? i'm more then happy to do my part of saving cute little animals even if it means naked snuggling! drunken

That alone would be enough to make me give up MY fur coat. occasion9

That said...

I don't hunt, but I think hunting is a valuable skill that has taken the human race thousands of years of practice to acquire. Just because I don't hunt, I'd never want to outlaw hunting. I do think that any animals taken as game should be used in their entirety - not just taken for a trophy. As for farmed animals, I have no problem with them being raised for food, and for their skins. I eat farm-raised seafood; what's the difference? They should be treated as humanely as we know how, and any breeders that abuse their animals should be punished, but in the end, it's not a pet, it's food. It doesn't know any different.

Lisa
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:51:42 PM

I've been a vegetarian since my teen years, but not one of those nutty one who tries to make everyone else think the same way I do.

I don't wear leather or fur jackets, nor do I have any shoes or furniture made from leather. It would feel a bit strange throwing on a leather jacket to go out for a vegetarian dinner.
Butterfly
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:41:20 PM

Just got done reading all the posts throughout this topic.

I've never owned anything that was true animal fur. However, I do own a couple of leather jackets, a couple of sweet ass pair of knee-high leather boots, other shoes/boots made of leather as well. Oh, and we can't forget the BELTS, can we?? lol. I do love a nice belt to go through the loops of whatever pair of jeans/pants I'm wearing.

Seeing as this was a post concerning wearing fur or fur lined clothing...like I said I've never had the luxury of such. Never really sought that type of clothing out either though. If it comes down to just plain out killing or slaughtering animals merely for that purpose then I am totally against it.

I agree with the using of all parts of whatever animal one kills if one is going to go out and hunt/kill; do not just go out and pop one off for the pure satisfaction of a kill for a set of trophy antlers, a trophy head, or a skin or the fur. That's all I have to say on this subject...other than, a lot of cultures that have hunted and gathered for their livelihood, American Indians being foremost in my opinion, wasted NOTHING of their kills.
Jillicious
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:29:40 AM

For those who ride motorcycles, leather has the lowest static friction across asphalt of any other material, even more than body armor. In other words when you wreck you are more likely going to slide to a stop than be tumbled around. Provided that you miss other obstacles along the way this is the better way to come to an uncontrolled stop. By dispersing the energy over a distance and time you are less affected by it.
Butterfly
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:58:01 AM

Jillicious wrote:
For those who ride motorcycles, leather has the lowest static friction across asphalt of any other material, even more than body armor. In other words when you wreck you are more likely going to slide to a stop than be tumbled around. Provided that you miss other obstacles along the way this is the better way to come to an uncontrolled stop. By dispersing the energy over a distance and time you are less affected by it.

Quoted for truth ^.

The main reason I ended up purchasing the two leather jackets I own was for the warmth factor when riding in colder weather. Once we got our bike about 3 years ago, the weather was getting cooler but we still wanted to enjoy taking some nice rides every now and then. Leather keeps that wind from going through to your body far better than anything else.

And as far as wrecking (knock on wood that that never happens to us), leather is the logical and sensible choice of attire as well...for lessening the road rash of course. That being said, I don't know what I'd do in the dead of summer if such a thing occurred lol...cause here in Texas it's tooo damn hot that time of year to wear anything other than a shirt, jeans and my boots I wear for riding.
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:06:46 AM

Just an observation on my part- are we allowing our reactions to the cruelty of a particular animal's death factor into the way we feel about wearing their skin or fur? Despite PETA's heartstring-pulling campaigns, aren't these two separate issues?

sprite
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:37:06 AM

since pictures speak louder then words, this is the life that a farmed mink can look forward too until it is pleasantly euthanized.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:36:33 AM

LadyX wrote:
Just an observation on my part- are we allowing our reactions to the cruelty of a particular animal's death factor into the way we feel about wearing their skin or fur? Despite PETA's heartstring-pulling campaigns, aren't these two separate issues?

If you care about animals, you care about how they're treated. I want to see them treated humanely, but I don't have a problem with having them be farmed for whatever purpose the farmer chooses.

LadyX
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 12:46:39 PM

Okay, I agree. I like fur, it doesn't have to be real for me to like it just the same.
Bunny12
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:01:11 PM

My leather is real my fur is fake and you better run away from me because I will eat you! lol

Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!