Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Canadian Geese Options · View
Guest
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:55:45 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
I read in the New York Times today that officials are proposing euthanizing hundreds of thousands of Canadian geese in 17 Atlantic states. There's an over abundance of them. Remember the plane that went down in the Hudson because of them? They're going to bury them after killing them. What I'm wondering is, why in the world can they not kill them in such a way that they could give them to people to eat? These are edible, are they not?
Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:13:55 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
Part of the problem for turning them in to meat, is that it takes a lot more effort than to just put them all in a tent, and fill it with gas. (one of the variety of methods planned/used)

In Canada, this idea has touched off some controversy, as people remember a time when the Canada Goose was a protected species because of a low population. And yes, the fact that the bird has "Canada" in the name probably adds to the interest up here.
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:33:13 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
Killing CANADIAN geese?? This thread seems like nation bashing to me!! maybe this should be moved to the think tank?? icon_smile
Guest
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:36:29 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
I thought I had heard at one time that they were protected. Can you eat them?
They didn't talk specifics on the killing. Just that it was an approved method that the American Veterinary Medical Association agreed to.
Interesting. So many hungry people.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:36:54 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
DamonX wrote:
Killing CANADIAN geese?? This thread seems like nation bashing to me!! maybe this should be moved to the think tank?? icon_smile


How so?
Remington
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:37:48 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 1,753
Canadian Geese are good to eat. My grandpa makes goose jerky out of it. Where I'm from is great for hunting them.

Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story

Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:46:14 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
chefkathleen wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Killing CANADIAN geese?? This thread seems like nation bashing to me!! maybe this should be moved to the think tank?? icon_smile


How so?


It's not universal, but to some Canadians, this would be similar to your reaction if Canada decided to start culling bald eagles.
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:54:46 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
Jebru wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Killing CANADIAN geese?? This thread seems like nation bashing to me!! maybe this should be moved to the think tank?? icon_smile


How so?


It's not universal, but to some Canadians, this would be similar to your reaction if Canada decided to start culling bald eagles.



Haha, relax guys. It was a joke. I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well in typed form.

That would be pretty silly if I was actually got offended at something like that, wouldn't it chef?

Haha, "I can't believe you're doing this?!! To OUR goose!"

That was sarcasm as well...although it did sound familiar.....
Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 5:59:09 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
DamonX wrote:
Jebru wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Killing CANADIAN geese?? This thread seems like nation bashing to me!! maybe this should be moved to the think tank?? icon_smile


How so?


It's not universal, but to some Canadians, this would be similar to your reaction if Canada decided to start culling bald eagles.



Haha, relax guys. It was a joke. I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well in typed form.

That would be pretty silly if I was actually got offended at something like that, wouldn't it chef?

Haha, "I can't believe you're doing this?!! To OUR goose!"

That was sarcasm as well...although it did sound familiar.....


Yeah, it's definitely not my opinion, but the newspaper article I read, had a surprising number of quotes from people who felt like that.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 1:31:12 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,302
Location: Cakeland, United States
Every fall, 2000 of them fucking geese land in the fields around my house...gobbling up corn or soybeans or sunflower seeds. Whatever was planted, and harvested and left to waste in the fields..

Then they shit all over my yard, house, car...I've even had 'em shit on me, and we ain't talking little bird messes either.

And they do look tasty.

It would cut down on turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:31:00 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
DamonX wrote:
Jebru wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Killing CANADIAN geese?? This thread seems like nation bashing to me!! maybe this should be moved to the think tank?? icon_smile


How so?


It's not universal, but to some Canadians, this would be similar to your reaction if Canada decided to start culling bald eagles.



Haha, relax guys. It was a joke. I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well in typed form.

That would be pretty silly if I was actually got offended at something like that, wouldn't it chef?

Haha, "I can't believe you're doing this?!! To OUR goose!"

That was sarcasm as well...although it did sound familiar.....



lmao damon..it did translate and it was funny. but ive got an evil sense of humor.

and sarcasm aside, is the Canadian goose Canada's national bird? so i dunno if wed kill off thousands of bald eagles but we sure as shit go after the grey wolf here in new mexico. so much so, sadly, that now we are fighting to protect them.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:30:30 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
First off, I knew you were kidding damon. I was kidding back with you. Second, I didn't know the canada goose was a national bird. Interesting. Personally, I wouldn't give a darn if you killed eagles or geese if they were over populated and flying into jet engines and putting humans lives at risk. The main point of this topic was not about where the bird is from, it's why can't they feed them to people that are hungry if they're going to kill them anyway.
Oh, and btw, I didn't put this in "the think tank" because I wanted to see other people respond besides the same old ones all the time. Some people won't come in here but will go into the lounge.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:33:15 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,301
Location: West Coast
LittleMissBitch wrote:

is the Canadian goose Canada's national bird? so i dunno if wed kill off thousands of bald eagles but we sure as shit go after the grey wolf here in new mexico. so much so, sadly, that now we are fighting to protect them.


No, we don't have an official national bird at the moment, although there is some talk about the "Red Tailed Hawk" being put up for consideration.

The Canada goose was nearing extinction by the end of the 19th century due to excessive hunting. But aggressive breeding programs and protection laws have brought them back from the brink of extinction in spades. I am sure after all the makeshift gas-chamber tents, lethal injection projects, extended hunting seasons, and general butchery over the next couple of years, we'll have them back to dwindling populations in no time at all. Then we can start all over again by starting up protection laws and new breeding programs. It seems to be the modern human approach to wildlife management.

The plan by New York to take a population of 250,000 geese down to 85,000 seems... rather excessive. In fact it has also given the incentive to various local idiots in Brooklyn and New Jersey to do "their part" by beating the birds to death in their own local parks.

Some cities, like Vancouver, have used a program of "addling" of Canada Geese eggs (the eggs are rendered incapable of hatching, through manual shaking). The eggs are then returned to the nest (often one is kept intact), whereupon the parents fulfill their "nesting" instinct, and over time the bird population is effectively reduced. In the Toronto area, these solutions have included placing oil on thousands of eggs to kill the embryos inside. These methods take some effort, but it seems like a better and more proactive measure to population control.

As for the birds that have already been killed, yes, I agree that the meat should be donated to a food bank rather than tossed into the landfill. Again, that seems to be too much effort and foresight by the officials planning these massacres.






Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:46:23 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
We have some red tailed hawks here. They're a beautiful bird and larger than I would have thought.


Quote:
As for the birds that have already been killed, yes, I agree that the meat should be donated to a food bank rather than tossed into the landfill. Again, that seems to be too much effort and foresight by the officials planning these massacres.


I agree with this. I think it's just too much trouble for them to do the right thing. It said in the Times article that they were going to put them in turkey crates anyway so why not kill them like they would a turkey and dress them out for the poor and hungry?
Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:54:41 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
in illinois where i used to live they fly in in the fall on their way down south. i always quite liked them myself. but i guess we cant have them bringing down planes and such.
and of course there will boorish amercians that say..."well hell if the states gonna kill em anyway lets go have a little goose baseball"

proud to be an american.

(did the sarcasm translate?)
LadyX
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:06:07 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
LittleMissBitch wrote:
in illinois where i used to live they fly in in the fall on their way down south. i always quite liked them myself. but i guess we cant have them bringing down planes and such.
and of course there will boorish amercians that say..."well hell if the states gonna kill em anyway lets go have a little goose baseball"

proud to be an american.

(did the sarcasm translate?)


Sure did. I think we're all pretty good at sarcasm- maybe TOO good! evil4


I've read some about goose cruelty because of this thread- and unlike all the other threads that spark my interest to read more, this time I kind of wish I hadn't. sad1 Some people really seem to get off on being sadistic to animals- I don't get it. I wonder if general anger in society is causing more cruelty to animals- they're easier to take frustrations out on than people.

Guest
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:23:25 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,826
Quote:
I've read some about goose cruelty because of this thread- and unlike all the other threads that spark my interest to read more, this time I kind of wish I hadn't. sad1 Some people really seem to get off on being sadistic to animals- I don't get it. I wonder if general anger in society is causing more cruelty to animals- they're easier to take frustrations out on than people.


I'm so glad I haven't read any of that. I read a couple of years ago about some asshole trying to BBQ a kitten and I cried and was depressed all day. *they even had pictures*
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:34:40 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,301
Location: West Coast
LadyX wrote:

I've read some about goose cruelty because of this thread- and unlike all the other threads that spark my interest to read more, this time I kind of wish I hadn't. sad1 Some people really seem to get off on being sadistic to animals- I don't get it. I wonder if general anger in society is causing more cruelty to animals- they're easier to take frustrations out on than people.


I think that in this case, you have the Canada Geese in the local news a lot, and when the state is okaying a massacre of 165,000 geese, a certain kind of person might just think why not join in the fun of it all, assuming that nobody is going to care or impose animal cruelty charges against them for beating to death an "unwanted bird". I think the whole thing is really deplorable.

It reminds me of the weeks after Steve Irwin was accidentally killed, and they found mutilated stingrays on the beaches of Queensland Australia as "revenge killings" by idiotic fans.

Sometimes people look for an excuse for violence and rage... Very sad indeed LadyX...


DamonX
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 12:00:03 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
chefkathleen wrote:
First off, I knew you were kidding damon. I was kidding back with you. Second, I didn't know the canada goose was a national bird. Interesting. Personally, I wouldn't give a darn if you killed eagles or geese if they were over populated and flying into jet engines and putting humans lives at risk. The main point of this topic was not about where the bird is from, it's why can't they feed them to people that are hungry if they're going to kill them anyway.
Oh, and btw, I didn't put this in "the think tank" because I wanted to see other people respond besides the same old ones all the time. Some people won't come in here but will go into the lounge.


I was joking about the think tank thing. I was joking about "where the bird from from" being an issue as well. I was joking about the whole thing in fact. I wasn't actually insinuating that this topic actually be moved from the lounge. My posts were merely a satirical imitation of the nationalistic sensitivity that you tend to display.

Turned into a somewhat interesting thread though. But, I'm still bowing out of this one since I don't want to be seen as "flaming."
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 7:18:25 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,141
Location: United States
DamonX wrote:


I was joking about the think tank thing. I was joking about "where the bird from from" being an issue as well. I was joking about the whole thing in fact. I wasn't actually insinuating that this topic actually be moved from the lounge. My posts were merely a satirical imitation of the nationalistic sensitivity that you tend to display.

Turned into a somewhat interesting thread though. But, I'm still bowing out of this one since I don't want to be seen as "flaming."


For what it's worth, Damon, I actually caught the humor before I had to read about it. (LOL) That said, I see no reason at all why they can't just open up a limited hunting season on those nasty raucous bastards. Have a lottery, same as they do for most other game animals. Having seen these big-assed birds up close, I do believe that they would be some fine eatin'. (spits tobacco juice into spitoon...ptoo!)

Bunny12
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:46:49 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/2/2009
Posts: 1,001
Location: My own little world, United States
I don't know what should be done but the town I live in is basically a drained swamp with man made retention ponds all over the place and most filled with Canadian geese and they make a hell of a mess. The golf course installed noise cannons to scare them off. They stop traffic at the mall. There just seems to be too darn many of them!

Bunny12


Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
DamonX
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:49:57 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:


I was joking about the think tank thing. I was joking about "where the bird from from" being an issue as well. I was joking about the whole thing in fact. I wasn't actually insinuating that this topic actually be moved from the lounge. My posts were merely a satirical imitation of the nationalistic sensitivity that you tend to display.

Turned into a somewhat interesting thread though. But, I'm still bowing out of this one since I don't want to be seen as "flaming."


For what it's worth, Damon, I actually caught the humor before I had to read about it. (LOL) That said, I see no reason at all why they can't just open up a limited hunting season on those nasty raucous bastards. Have a lottery, same as they do for most other game animals. Having seen these big-assed birds up close, I do believe that they would be some fine eatin'. (spits tobacco juice into spitoon...ptoo!)


haha,

Shoot'em all you want! When I was 3 years old I got beat up up badly by a goose so I'm still holding a bit of a grudge.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.