Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you believe in "God"? Options · View
DirtyMartini
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:08:49 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,789
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
I believe in God...I just hope he believes in me...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Guest
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:30:50 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
I believe in God also. ,, and why I do, is because I have witnessed events in life that I am certain that science cannot explain.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:48:51 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,789
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
Hey Bud...I've witnessed things in the Lush Forum that I am certain science cannot explain...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

scooter
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:53:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/24/2010
Posts: 2,689
Location: Ohio
Exakta66 wrote:
Hey Bud...I've witnessed things in the Lush Forum that I am certain science cannot explain...


LOL,,yeah,,,,me too Mr. BudIce
DirtyMartini
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 8:55:23 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,789
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
scooter wrote:
Exakta66 wrote:
Hey Bud...I've witnessed things in the Lush Forum that I am certain science cannot explain...


LOL,,yeah,,,,me too Mr. BudIce


I'm not sure if that proves the existence of God, or just the devil...laughing6


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 9:17:16 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,140
Location: United States
Exakta66 wrote:
scooter wrote:
Exakta66 wrote:
Hey Bud...I've witnessed things in the Lush Forum that I am certain science cannot explain...


LOL,,yeah,,,,me too Mr. BudIce


I'm not sure if that proves the existence of God, or just the devil...laughing6



Can't have the one without the other. Good and evil, hot and cold, pleasure and pain, yin and yang. L35

mercianknight
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 9:51:41 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/11/2009
Posts: 2,029
Location: whispering conspiratorially in your ear, Bermuda
Whilst not subscribing to the interpretations of 'God' within organised religions, I do believe in the existence of a supreme being(s) that has influenced our path/development as humanity has flourished and developed on this planet. There are far too many unanswered questions otherwise that neither science nor religion have been able to answer to my satisfaction.

Ergo, somewhere in the middle lies the truth and to support my thinking, in line with the immortal thinking of one Sherlock Holmes (fictional, I know), I quote .... "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?...."
angel7

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
LadyX
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 10:50:56 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
I wrote this yesterday but didn't post it, but I guess I feel like I don't have anything to hide by expressing my opinion. It's personal but not a secret.

I don't believe in "God": the old dude that wears white robes and carries around flat stones with wise things carved into them, or the "God" that commissioned a 4,000 page book of things he whispered into other peoples' ears to write in it.

I think people in power knew they could hold it over the masses heads easier if they got the masses to believe that such an old-dude God existed, who by the way, has an anger management problem with those who don't do exactly as he says about everything in their life. If they never apologize to old-dude God or swear their soul to him- he throws them into a fire pit until the end of time. You don't want that do you? Didn't think so- so marry your partner, work hard, don't indulge in too much fun, have kids, mind the local laws and lawmakers if thats not the church itself, and make sure you talk all your friends and family into believing too. Wouldn't want them to go into the fire pit, would you?

I like to say that I believe some higher power might exist- but I don't think I really believe that at all. I just wish I believed it. I wish I believed that there was somebody I could call God, who looked after me and loved me, but I don't. If I did, I'd have to look past the fact that he didn't stop bad things from happening to me. Why didn't he stop them? To teach me a lesson? Why would he let kids be killed, or lose their parents, or homes? Why would people get attacked, and raped? Wouldn't God stop that if he could? If he won't, then he doesn't love me. If he can't, then he's not God.

I can't believe things that seem like folk tales designed to make us feel better about living in such a crazy world. I can do things that help me cope- and they are better than believing in things that offer no answers.
Revolution
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 10:57:39 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 5/6/2010
Posts: 70
Location: Melbourne
Yea I believe in God. I'm monotheistic.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but I'll try. I believe if God doesn't exist, the concept of God would never have existed either. I just don't believe the human mind is/was ever capable of "creating" a concept as complex as God.

I don't really know how to explain it more than that, so I hope that makes sense.

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it...or, learn from it." - Rafiki, The Lion King
Guest
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 11:31:24 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
If you were the planet, would you prefer that humans were Christians or Buddhists?

I couldn't care less what people want to believe about the origins of the universe and of our planet - but our interpretation of the Bible has come awfully close to destroying this planet and ourselves. I believe the planet, at least, is worth preserving.

Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in the same god. They believe there is a heaven somewhere OTHER THAN the earth. Buddhists believe they will be re-incarnated on THIS earth.
If you believe you're coming back HERE, you'll want to make certain HERE is worth coming back to.

The Bible (or Koran or Torah) wasn't meant to be interpreted literally. It's poetry, not prose. It's metaphor, not fact. Heaven is right here, right now. Eternity is now and the rest of your life. Being born again, (as Christ was, symbolically, at Easter - near the Spring Equinox when nature and the planet are re-born from winter, from death), is to be awakened to the gift of life and celebrate it beCAUSE of its finiteness. God IS the planet, the universe - life.

North American Indians understood that. I don't know much about the Aboriginals of Australia, but I suspect they understood that as well.

I'm a landscape photographer. I take photographs of god. It is my form of worship.

I didn't read the Hawking quote. I've gone off him since he started talking about Aliens and how we should prepare to leave this planet behind. I think that's irresponsible.

My beliefs are based on reading the works of Joseph Campbell:





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell


http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Campbell/e/B000AQ33DK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1


Remington
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 12:58:36 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/21/2010
Posts: 1,753
I believe in God. I was involved in a nasty car wreck the summer before my Senior year of high school and should've died. I wasn't wearing a seat belt when we hit the side of a hill going 65 MPH. We flipped three times and rolled twice. I was knocked unconscious as soon as we hit and came to as I was walking up my drive way. At first I had no idea what was going on until people came out of the house freaking out. I didn't start remembering what happened until I saw myself in the mirror. My face was covered in blood. I walked away from that wreck with a broken shoulder, bruised ribs and a concussion.

I'm not here to preach about God or anything, just to state the fact that I do believe in God.



Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story

DamonX
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 11:20:07 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:


Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35


The word "argument" presupposes that I'm trying to convince you of something. I'm not. Nic asked us to post our beliefs, not try and convince you that we're right. Your lack of belief doesn't bother me as much as my faith seems to bother you.


Your faith does not bother me. In fact, it gives me a lot of entertainment. :)

Religion does bother me though. I think it is a detriment to the progression of human civilization and scientific progress. Its like a disease that infects children before they have the chance to learn to think for themselves. I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that most of the people on here that have religious beliefs, possess the beliefs of their parents. Just imagine if you had learned to think for yourselves before such assinine ideas were presented to you? But alas...the infection takes root and no amount of knowledge or rational reasoning can cure it.

And I know we have this misconception that religious beliefs should be respected... But why exactly? If some guy on the street walks up to you screaming about how the world is about to be ended by an alien invasion from Mars, would you say "well, he has his beliefs, and I'm going to respect them." ?? No. You would say "That is one crazy motherfucker."

When one person believes in something that doesn't exist, we call him crazy. When a million people believe in something that doesn't exist...we call it religion.

That last one wasn't my quote, but I wish it was. Have a good weekend everyone.

icon_smile
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 11:46:31 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States
When one person has a closed mind, I call him or her ignorant. When a million people have their minds closed, I call that: a bunch of ignorant fuckers.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Rembacher
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 11:56:16 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
DamonX wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:


Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35


The word "argument" presupposes that I'm trying to convince you of something. I'm not. Nic asked us to post our beliefs, not try and convince you that we're right. Your lack of belief doesn't bother me as much as my faith seems to bother you.


Your faith does not bother me. In fact, it gives me a lot of entertainment. :)

Religion does bother me though. I think it is a detriment to the progression of human civilization and scientific progress. Its like a disease that infects children before they have the chance to learn to think for themselves. I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that most of the people on here that have religious beliefs, possess the beliefs of their parents. Just imagine if you had learned to think for yourselves before such assinine ideas were presented to you? But alas...the infection takes root and no amount of knowledge or rational reasoning can cure it.

And I know we have this misconception that religious beliefs should be respected... But why exactly? If some guy on the street walks up to you screaming about how the world is about to be ended by an alien invasion from Mars, would you say "well, he has his beliefs, and I'm going to respect them." ?? No. You would say "That is one crazy motherfucker."

When one person believes in something that doesn't exist, we call him crazy. When a million people believe in something that doesn't exist...we call it religion.

That last one wasn't my quote, but I wish it was. Have a good weekend everyone.

icon_smile


I found you calling religious people juvenile to be extremely funny since it seems that every time the topic of religion is even remotely mentioned in the forums you throw this tantrum about how the approximately 5 billion people in the world who believe in some form of spirituality, are stupid, or crazy, or whatever your chosen word is that day. Give it a rest already. There is no difference between religious beliefs or political beliefs, or favourite colour. You are never going to get everyone to see it the same way. Before you started attacking people this was a thread about why people believed the way they did. So grow up, and lets go back to that, and leave the missionary efforts for another thread.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:19:10 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
Quote:
Do you believe in "God"?
Or perhaps the concept of, or meaning behind a "God".


I believe in a higher power - not 100% where that power is - perhaps it is found in determination, faith, hope, or maybe it is mind over matter? I tend to give thanks to the Universe for providing (Damon will shoot that one fast).

My family faith is Christian Science. A fairly new religion of a sort. In my mid-teens, I met some great people while travelling and learned a lot about Hindu and Buddha - interesting and thought provoking. I never returned to the formal church. A few years later, I found myself in an office with 20 people of all sorts of religious backgrounds - Christians, Catholics, Mormons, Mennonites, Lutherns, Hindu and Sihk (yes you can tell I live in Vancouver). Religion discussions were prevalent, usually in the form of learning - not arguing who was right or wrong with their beliefs. This one Mennonite asked me if I was a Christian (being a Christian Scientist) ... I asked what exactly is a Christian. "You are a Christian if you believe Christ gave his life for our sins." Whoa!! That evening, in the kitchen making dinner, I was telling my mum and husband of the lunch hour discussion - and the enlightenment that I WAS NOT a Christian. My poor mum leaned over the sink shaking her head .... she was so disappointed!

What I came to realize, is that I love the spirit and soul of life - but I dislike organized religion/church. The idea of worshipping a man, any man, in my eyes and soul, is misplaced.

Van

ps ... actually, I could worship the body and soul a man, but for entirely different reasons (blush)


DamonX
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:20:22 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
Jebru wrote:
DamonX wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:


Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35


The word "argument" presupposes that I'm trying to convince you of something. I'm not. Nic asked us to post our beliefs, not try and convince you that we're right. Your lack of belief doesn't bother me as much as my faith seems to bother you.


Your faith does not bother me. In fact, it gives me a lot of entertainment. :)

Religion does bother me though. I think it is a detriment to the progression of human civilization and scientific progress. Its like a disease that infects children before they have the chance to learn to think for themselves. I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that most of the people on here that have religious beliefs, possess the beliefs of their parents. Just imagine if you had learned to think for yourselves before such assinine ideas were presented to you? But alas...the infection takes root and no amount of knowledge or rational reasoning can cure it.

And I know we have this misconception that religious beliefs should be respected... But why exactly? If some guy on the street walks up to you screaming about how the world is about to be ended by an alien invasion from Mars, would you say "well, he has his beliefs, and I'm going to respect them." ?? No. You would say "That is one crazy motherfucker."

When one person believes in something that doesn't exist, we call him crazy. When a million people believe in something that doesn't exist...we call it religion.

That last one wasn't my quote, but I wish it was. Have a good weekend everyone.

icon_smile


I found you calling religious people juvenile to be extremely funny since it seems that every time the topic of religion is even remotely mentioned in the forums you throw this tantrum about how the approximately 5 billion people in the world who believe in some form of spirituality, are stupid, or crazy, or whatever your chosen word is that day. Give it a rest already. There is no difference between religious beliefs or political beliefs, or favourite colour. You are never going to get everyone to see it the same way. Before you started attacking people this was a thread about why people believed the way they did. So grow up, and lets go back to that, and leave the missionary efforts for another thread.


Ohhhhh shiiite. Our little boy Jebs finally grew a pair. Kudos. :)

You really should have picked a better cause to hang your hat on though. Oh wait...is this violent response due to some pent up anger over my dismissing your health recovery as anything less than divine intervention? Ok sorry guy. I'm sure that if there is an omnipotent being that controls the entire universe, the first thing on his "to do list" is Jebru's fuckin Kidney problems. I'm glad you recovered though. Now, if only they had a cure for rational thought neglect....

And if you see belief in something that is the product of the human imagination as equal to favorite color or political belief, then you have, missed the point completely. And I am not trying to make people see things my way. I'm just having fun pointing out the stupidity of it all. I realize that people like you may be weak minded and need a crutch like religion to lean on. That's cool. But I'm still going to make fun of you, and do everything in my power to prevent such astounding ignorance from being transmitted to others in order to prevent this farce from being replicated in future generations.

And please, please, please continue this. I would love it! I like the new Jebru. I guess you prayed to God to finally give you some balls.

Welcome to the tank, buddy. icon_smile
BigDaddyRich
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:24:29 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/9/2010
Posts: 668
Location: Ridge Manor, Florida, United States
Yes, but I do tend to break all the rules a lot.

Well that's just my opinion, sorry if you don't like.

BigDaddyRich
Piquet
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:10:56 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/12/2009
Posts: 339
Location: Adelaide, Australia
I'm an agnostic and when anyone asks me, "Do you believe in God?" My answer always is, "I believe in the possibiltiy of the existence of God but also in the probability that God does not exist." At which my questioner (usually a fundamentalist Christian) is usually confused and perplexed.

If you claim to be a logical, scientific person you cannot really prove or disprove anything. Life is a matter of probabilities and in 2010 the probability of there being a God as he is described in the Bible is looking rather low.



http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/claudia-incarnatapart-vii.aspx
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:46:56 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
Piquet wrote:
I'm an agnostic and when anyone asks me, "Do you believe in God?" My answer always is, "I believe in the possibiltiy of the existence of God but also in the probability that God does not exist." At which my questioner (usually a fundamentalist Christian) is usually confused and perplexed.

If you claim to be a logical, scientific person you cannot really prove or disprove anything. Life is a matter of probabilities and in 2010 the probability of there being a God as he is described in the Bible is looking rather low.


Absolutely perfect.
thepainter
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:24:09 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/23/2009
Posts: 1,353
Location: hell, Netherlands
I've found two pic of DamonX while posting on lush. First one is happy Damon.



Then, when the subject of religion comes up I'm not sure if it's rapture or anguish...



Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:29:19 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
DamonX wrote:
Jebru wrote:
DamonX wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:


Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35


The word "argument" presupposes that I'm trying to convince you of something. I'm not. Nic asked us to post our beliefs, not try and convince you that we're right. Your lack of belief doesn't bother me as much as my faith seems to bother you.


Your faith does not bother me. In fact, it gives me a lot of entertainment. :)

Religion does bother me though. I think it is a detriment to the progression of human civilization and scientific progress. Its like a disease that infects children before they have the chance to learn to think for themselves. I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that most of the people on here that have religious beliefs, possess the beliefs of their parents. Just imagine if you had learned to think for yourselves before such assinine ideas were presented to you? But alas...the infection takes root and no amount of knowledge or rational reasoning can cure it.

And I know we have this misconception that religious beliefs should be respected... But why exactly? If some guy on the street walks up to you screaming about how the world is about to be ended by an alien invasion from Mars, would you say "well, he has his beliefs, and I'm going to respect them." ?? No. You would say "That is one crazy motherfucker."

When one person believes in something that doesn't exist, we call him crazy. When a million people believe in something that doesn't exist...we call it religion.

That last one wasn't my quote, but I wish it was. Have a good weekend everyone.

icon_smile


I found you calling religious people juvenile to be extremely funny since it seems that every time the topic of religion is even remotely mentioned in the forums you throw this tantrum about how the approximately 5 billion people in the world who believe in some form of spirituality, are stupid, or crazy, or whatever your chosen word is that day. Give it a rest already. There is no difference between religious beliefs or political beliefs, or favourite colour. You are never going to get everyone to see it the same way. Before you started attacking people this was a thread about why people believed the way they did. So grow up, and lets go back to that, and leave the missionary efforts for another thread.


Ohhhhh shiiite. Our little boy Jebs finally grew a pair. Kudos. :)

You really should have picked a better cause to hang your hat on though. Oh wait...is this violent response due to some pent up anger over my dismissing your health recovery as anything less than divine intervention? Ok sorry guy. I'm sure that if there is an omnipotent being that controls the entire universe, the first thing on his "to do list" is Jebru's fuckin Kidney problems. I'm glad you recovered though. Now, if only they had a cure for rational thought neglect....

And if you see belief in something that is the product of the human imagination as equal to favorite color or political belief, then you have, missed the point completely. And I am not trying to make people see things my way. I'm just having fun pointing out the stupidity of it all. I realize that people like you may be weak minded and need a crutch like religion to lean on. That's cool. But I'm still going to make fun of you, and do everything in my power to prevent such astounding ignorance from being transmitted to others in order to prevent this farce from being replicated in future generations.

And please, please, please continue this. I would love it! I like the new Jebru. I guess you prayed to God to finally give you some balls.

Welcome to the tank, buddy. icon_smile




you know damon, debate is one of the best way to bring about the evolution process in a society. how do we learn if we dont discuss? debate is more than just argument. it can be the exchanging of ideas bringing forth thought and contemplation as you listen to the opposite views of the subject at hand. but when you start throwing out insults at people it breaks the process down and everyone gets pissy and defensive. no one is going to want to talk about this if they think they're gonna get made fun of.

if you truly want to help move our society forward to the day that we dont need the idea of god and the structure of religion then it would serve you well to temper your responses. think of it as passing on an idea to someone who might then start to question the personal faith system, examine it. then maybe they will grow and evolve.

but no one's gonna listen if you're just being a dick about it. you just discredit yourself and your entire argument.

Solarmeatman
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 6:29:37 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 2/20/2010
Posts: 30
Location: San Diego, United States
oooo ooooo ooooooo......nothing is more of a turnon than a sexy woman with an intelligent mind and the ability to express her own opinions....LMB....you are one of the enlightened ones...BRAVO!!! This is your life, and you are responsible for your own orgasms!!! Long live the Energizer!!!


LittleMissBitch wrote:
ooooo...awesome question

first..damon your sarcasm slays me man..too funny.

my belief is that god and religion are man made creations. i mean after all we needed SOMETHING to explain volcanoes, lightning and thunder and other various things found in nature wayyy back in the day. then once we began to understand how these oh so scary things happen, and that god indeed, did not have anything to do with why lightning cracks thru the sky or way lava pours from the spouts of the earth we still needed god for one thing ~ to comfort us thru our fear of death. death is a scary thing and im sure it makes people feel better thinking that they can go to another place...body and clothes in tact...to hang out with friends and family members that have gone before us. of course its a ridiculous notion.

damon was right when he said juvenile, not mr nudie personally, but religion as a whole. we have used and twisted it over the millennia, using it to fit our own evil purposes, mostly for the sake of killing and abusing whomever we wish. religion is the most evil invention we, as a race, have ever thought of. i think as we evolve we will begin to slowly let go of our imaginary friend much like children do. We wont need him to comfort us thru death, or have his rules to make us behave well or even need him as an excuse to kill people...we can take responsibility for it ourselves. no more, "God made me do it!"

i do think there is something more though than just nothing. and i figure if men can make up allah and christ i can make up my own thing..i call it the universe and energy and ive assigned it the "she" pronoun just for fun. energy is real, and it flows thru us all and connects us on a level that we can feel but i dont think we truly understand. and it is not some conscious entity but a natural occurrence.

i believe thoughts are powerful and they will bring to you what you seek in life. if you think things are miserable then they are, if you think they are wonderful then that is what you will see. the bottom line for me is i dont think any one has any idea what "it" is, myself included. god, universe. energy, soul. prayers, good thoughts. but ill say i like my way better...sooo many less rules and constraints..never really understood why we have to put so many silly little rules on ourselves to feel good.

so, ill go along thinking my good thoughts and giving thanks to the 'universe' others of you can go along praying and giving thanks to "god". just pretty please keep your war mongering, homosexual bashing and women suppressing religions out of my perfectly ordered universe. thank you.



Solarmeatman
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 9:05:12 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,268
Location: West Coast
When you're swimming in the deep end of the Think Tank, you can't be wearing water-wings. I think everyone knows what they are getting into when they post. Especially if you want to "engage" someone by telling them to "grow up"... chances are you have to expect a bit of heat for it. At least that's the case for the regulars who know each other's personalities at this point. We're all adults... if someone can't handle it, then they should refrain from throwing their weight around, in my opinion. It's a hot topic... expect some burns.

Onto the idea of critical thought when it comes to the concept of a higher power... I don't believe there is nothing. I just don't believe there is 'something' either. I don't see the logic put behind the theories to explain why/how a higher power exists. In the end, we know nothing... so in the absence of knowing something, we can't assume anything. I don't know why having a critical mind is not applauded the way having a "magical mind" is.

Outside of all the major religions, everyone is looking for some way to explain that God is not actually Santa Claus for adults, and that there is something that exists that orders the universe, or even asserts its "will" upon the masses. People who are taught to indulge in this kind of fantasizing set themselves up for potential disaster. Look at all the marginal (I hesitate to call them) "religions" that have sprung up since being Christian became 'passe'. I look at the people that want to believe in prophets and end up joining cults which are entirely idiotic, but which... let's face it... obviously have gained followers because of this whole "we must respect each other's beliefs" and let's have an open mind that does not disregard the "magical" as possible. Smart people get the point and can take it with a grain of salt. But I don't think intelligence is the norm when it comes to the masses... and those are the types that are easily convinced. Just look at all the people that are spending their life savings believing some Evangelist will channel God through the palm of his hand and "cure them" on a large televised stage if they believe enough... oh yeah and pay enough too.

Just for entertainment, I found this link to the 8 craziest cults of all times... here's a fun sample 'clip' of a few of them:

Quote:


Raëlism: scientifically advanced humanoid extraterrestrials created humans: According to Raël, a message explaining our origins and future was dictated to him in December 1973, during personal meetings with a 25,000-year-old extraterrestrial named Yahweh who came in a UFO. The message dictated to Raël during his encounter with the Elohim (God) states that the Elohim contacted about forty people to act as their prophets on Earth, among which are those who founded the world's major religions (Moses, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, etc.)

Heaven's Gate: committed suicide so that their souls could take a ride on a spaceship.

Chen Tao: "God would be seen on channel 18 all across North America" The group is best known for a highly publicized, and failed, prophecy in 1998. Chen predicted that at 12:01 a.m. on March 25, 1998 God would be seen on channel 18 all across North America.

Ho No Hana: the foot reading cult: Ho No Hana Sanpogyo (Ho No Hana Sanpogyo) is a Japanese sect often called the "foot reading cult." It was called this because its founder, Hogen Fukunaga, claimed he could diagnose illness by examining people's feet. He founded the group in 1987 after an alleged spiritual event where he claimed to have realized he was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ and the Buddha. The group at one time claimed 30,000 members.

http://www.oddee.com/item_67909.aspx



So, all these cults found followers and devotees, because everyone wants to tip-toe around the idea that everyone's belief should be respected no matter what. Wouldn't it have served the people that wasted their cash, their lives, killed themselves or committed crimes because they believed in a certain group's specific version of God to tell them they were nuts... and maybe encourage or force more critical thinking? You might think cults are an extreme marginal example of where religion or belief in God can go wrong. But just look at all the major religions and the wars, manipulation, money wasted, and blood spilt in the name of upholding their particular belief in God... Same thing...just on a much grander scale.

If you follow critical thinking instead of "magical intervention", then you wait for some kind of indisputable proof, and you maintain a skeptical and logical mind. You also then have to take responsibility for your own actions and course in life, and live it in the here and now... for yourself... not for some magical being that your ego wants to believe on a matter of faith alone.

For those that want to base their faith on a personal experience where God "saved them" from something... then I have to ask, what about those that aren't 'saved'... what about those that die young, or are murdered or abused? What about entire nations that have suffered? Does God not have any operations set up in Africa? Why does God "intervene" on only certain cases but not others? Is it because their lives are worth less? It's easy to want to believe that one is 'special' and that a higher power averted disaster for them, but if you follow this kind of thinking, it's pretty unfortunate for those whose lives weren't "special" or "important enough" to work out that way. I just don't understand how this is a more logical argument to believe, than just blind chance... ie "shit happens"... some get lucky, and some don't... and nobody is pre-ordaining it from above.


Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 9:33:32 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,902
Location: California
LittleMissBitch wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Jebru wrote:
DamonX wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
DamonX wrote:


Hahahahahahahah, Are people really still using this argument? So you believe in Unicorns, leprechauns, goblins, fairies, bigfoot, ogres, ghosts, chupacabra, loch ness monster and the invisible man living in my closet? You can't prove they don't exsist!

Juvenile. Simply juvenile.

Good thing you didn't have the misfortune of being born in Pakistan, Mongolia, or Saudi Arabia. You would obviously be going to hell then. L35


The word "argument" presupposes that I'm trying to convince you of something. I'm not. Nic asked us to post our beliefs, not try and convince you that we're right. Your lack of belief doesn't bother me as much as my faith seems to bother you.


Your faith does not bother me. In fact, it gives me a lot of entertainment. :)

Religion does bother me though. I think it is a detriment to the progression of human civilization and scientific progress. Its like a disease that infects children before they have the chance to learn to think for themselves. I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that most of the people on here that have religious beliefs, possess the beliefs of their parents. Just imagine if you had learned to think for yourselves before such assinine ideas were presented to you? But alas...the infection takes root and no amount of knowledge or rational reasoning can cure it.

And I know we have this misconception that religious beliefs should be respected... But why exactly? If some guy on the street walks up to you screaming about how the world is about to be ended by an alien invasion from Mars, would you say "well, he has his beliefs, and I'm going to respect them." ?? No. You would say "That is one crazy motherfucker."

When one person believes in something that doesn't exist, we call him crazy. When a million people believe in something that doesn't exist...we call it religion.

That last one wasn't my quote, but I wish it was. Have a good weekend everyone.

icon_smile


I found you calling religious people juvenile to be extremely funny since it seems that every time the topic of religion is even remotely mentioned in the forums you throw this tantrum about how the approximately 5 billion people in the world who believe in some form of spirituality, are stupid, or crazy, or whatever your chosen word is that day. Give it a rest already. There is no difference between religious beliefs or political beliefs, or favourite colour. You are never going to get everyone to see it the same way. Before you started attacking people this was a thread about why people believed the way they did. So grow up, and lets go back to that, and leave the missionary efforts for another thread.


Ohhhhh shiiite. Our little boy Jebs finally grew a pair. Kudos. :)

You really should have picked a better cause to hang your hat on though. Oh wait...is this violent response due to some pent up anger over my dismissing your health recovery as anything less than divine intervention? Ok sorry guy. I'm sure that if there is an omnipotent being that controls the entire universe, the first thing on his "to do list" is Jebru's fuckin Kidney problems. I'm glad you recovered though. Now, if only they had a cure for rational thought neglect....

And if you see belief in something that is the product of the human imagination as equal to favorite color or political belief, then you have, missed the point completely. And I am not trying to make people see things my way. I'm just having fun pointing out the stupidity of it all. I realize that people like you may be weak minded and need a crutch like religion to lean on. That's cool. But I'm still going to make fun of you, and do everything in my power to prevent such astounding ignorance from being transmitted to others in order to prevent this farce from being replicated in future generations.

And please, please, please continue this. I would love it! I like the new Jebru. I guess you prayed to God to finally give you some balls.

Welcome to the tank, buddy. icon_smile




you know damon, debate is one of the best way to bring about the evolution process in a society. how do we learn if we dont discuss? debate is more than just argument. it can be the exchanging of ideas bringing forth thought and contemplation as you listen to the opposite views of the subject at hand. but when you start throwing out insults at people it breaks the process down and everyone gets pissy and defensive. no one is going to want to talk about this if they think they're gonna get made fun of.

if you truly want to help move our society forward to the day that we dont need the idea of god and the structure of religion then it would serve you well to temper your responses. think of it as passing on an idea to someone who might then start to question the personal faith system, examine it. then maybe they will grow and evolve.

but no one's gonna listen if you're just being a dick about it. you just discredit yourself and your entire argument.



Yeah but at least Damon keeps some of these threads pretty entertaining...



Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:04:38 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
To all the people like me who like learning about why people believe the way they do, sorry I fed the beast, I know the more drama he feeds on, the less likely others are to post, which is why I generally avoid threads once he has posted.

To Damon, for one, you seem to have not read my post about what I believe, because I clearly stated I do not believe in the christian God. I'm not so offended by what you say that I keep it all pent up looking for a chance to attack you. I grew up going to church every sunday, so I've long ago learned to ignore intolerant people who claim my beliefs are stupid, ignorant, or evil. My comment was meant for this thread alone in that everyone else seemed to understand that this thread was for talking about why we believe what we believe, not to comment on the beliefs of others. I like learning about the thoughts of others, especially on this topic, so I don't like when someone hinders that, as you seem to be doing.

To Dancing_Doll and anyone else who asks about how a divine being can allow bad things to happen to innocent people, I'll try and answer that, even though it is better left to someone who believes in a more controlling spiritual being. It is one of the great philosphical questions, can free will truly exist with divine intervention? For me, it can. To me, we have free will, and can do what we want. Sometimes the fates will intervene and bless us, sometimes they won't. When the fates do bless us, I think it is our obligation to repay them, by blessing those around us. But a divine being doesn't automatically mean that everything is going to be perfect. We are still going to go through bad times. Sometimes those bad experiences will teach us something, sometimes they are just the unfortunate result of someone's evil choices. If bad things never happened, life would be boring, and we wouldn't appreciate the good so much, because there would be nothing to contrast it against.

Someone who gets raped, does so because of the evil choice of the rapist. Children starving in Africa do so because of the greed of their leaders, and the greed of those of us who live in countries that throw out more food than some countries eat. And yet, despite having a life well below our standard of living, if you go to Africa you will find people who are happy. Maybe even more than you will find them in North America where we are told we always need the next big thing.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:32:15 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States
Fatalism......................................Shit happens.
Confucianism...............................Confucius say, "Shit happens."
Taoism........................................Shit can only happen if you're constipated.
Calvinism.....................................Shit happens because you don't work hard enough.
Buddhism.....................................If shit happens, is it really shit?
Seventh Day Adventism................Shit doesn't happen on Saturday.
Zen.............................................What is the sound of shit happening?
Hedonism.....................................There is nothing like a good shit.
Hinduism......................................This shit happened before.
Mormonism..................................This shit is going to happen again.
Mormonism Editors note--.............This has been deleted because you can't say "shit" in Utah
Islamism......................................If shit happens, it is the will of Allah.
Radical Islam................................If shit happens, take a hostage.
Iranian Fundamentalism.................You better stay off my shit list.
Moonies.......................................Only happy shit really happens.
Stoicism.......................................I can take this shit.
Protestantism................................Let this shit happen to someone else.
Catholicism...................................Shit happens because you are BAD.
Judaism........................................Why does shit always happen to us?
Hare Krishnaism............................Shit happens Rama Rama Ding Dong.
Christian Scientistism.....................This shit isn't really happening.
Existentialism................................You create your own shit and make it happen.
Rastafarianism..............................Lets smoke this shit!
Nihilism........................................Who gives a shit what happens?
Jehovah's Witnessism....................Knock knock. "Shit happens."
Agnosticism..................................I don't know shit.
Southern Baptistism......................Shit will happen! Praise the Lord!
Unitarianism.................................Any kind of shit you want happens.
Secular Humanism........................Shit should happen equally to everyone.
Panglossianism.............................With all this shit, there must be a pony around here somewhere.
Atheism.......................................No shit.
Shakespearianism .......................To shit, or not to shit, that is the question.
Akoslamism..................................My grandfather was Big Shit.
Sadism........................................I enjoy making shit happen
Satanism.....................................Holy Shit!
Energiserism................................It keeps shitting, and shitting, and shitting...
Deism..........................................Shit is nature, nature is god, so thanks for the compliment.
Figism..........................................Shit happens, and it's all my fault.
Goatism........................................Good Morning! Shit happens.
Peer Pressurism.............................Everyone's shitting, you should too.
Feminism.......................................Our shit is equal to men's shit.
Bobbitism.......................................SHIT HAP
Gulliblism.......................................Did you know, "shit" isn't in the dictionary?
Capitalism......................................I have more shit than you do
Nazism...........................................Ve haff vays uff makink sheet happen.
Communism....................................Everyone is treated the same except for the leaders: like shit!
Masochism......................................I like it when shit happens.
Puritanism......................................The Scarlet S
Jainism...........................................Shit happens, if it don't hurt shit.
Monism..........................................There is only one shit.
Snobism.........................................
Theism...........................................All shit is God's shit
Classicism.......................................This shit is ancient.
Cocainism.......................................This shit is rocket fuel!
Daltinism.........................................What color is shit?
Darwinism .......................................May the best shit win.
Dualism...........................................Good shit, bad shit
Egotism............................................I am the shit!
Exorcism..........................................Get the shit out.
Hitlarism...........................................Hateful shit!
Gnosticism........................................Good shit, bad shit
Hypnotism.........................................You are feeling shitty... very shitty
Televangelism....................................Your tax deductible donation could make this shit stop happening.
Amishism...........................................This shit is good for the soil.
Einsteinism.........................................Shit is relative.
Freudism............................................Sometimes shit is just shit
Americanism......................................Who gives a shit?
Realism..............................................I think I need to take a shit.
Denialism...........................................No shit.
Lysdexiaism.......................................Happ Shitens.
Pink Floydism.....................................Shit a Brick
Snappleism.........................................Made from the best shit on earth
Neil Armstrongism...............................One small shit for me, but a giant heap for mankind.
Unixism..............................................Core dump happens
Waldoism...........................................Where is that little shit?
Motherism..........................................Clean up your shit
Ghettoism...........................................I live in a world of shit
Creationism........................................And God said, "Let there be shit."
Xenophopianism..................................Strange shit can't be trusted
Sodomism..........................................Shit packing
Hangoverism.......................................I feel like shit!
Star Trekism ......................................To boldly shit where no man has shit before
Gumpism............................................Life is like a box of shit...
Bubbahism..........................................Fried shit, and baked shit, and shit sauce...
Shitism...............................................This shithead has a shitload of time on his hands.
Nikeism...............................................Just do shit.
Intellectualism.....................................Deep shit.
YourListIsCrookedism..........................................Fuck it, I tried


If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:41:41 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
LittleMissBitch wrote:

you know damon, debate is one of the best way to bring about the evolution process in a society. how do we learn if we dont discuss? debate is more than just argument. it can be the exchanging of ideas bringing forth thought and contemplation as you listen to the opposite views of the subject at hand. but when you start throwing out insults at people it breaks the process down and everyone gets pissy and defensive. no one is going to want to talk about this if they think they're gonna get made fun of.

if you truly want to help move our society forward to the day that we dont need the idea of god and the structure of religion then it would serve you well to temper your responses. think of it as passing on an idea to someone who might then start to question the personal faith system, examine it. then maybe they will grow and evolve.

but no one's gonna listen if you're just being a dick about it. you just discredit yourself and your entire argument.



Thanks LMB .... you said it better than I would have.

My only addition to your wonderful concept is - to assist moving our society forward, as individuals or herds that have a specific belief that does not coincide with your own, is to learn tolerance - that might be too novel of an idea for DX though ...

all in all ... the concept of this thread is very interesting - taking away all the insults.

Van
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 11:03:18 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States
Nicola's thread starter questions didn't invite feuding between Lush community members. At least I did not comprehend anything like that, within it.

Perhaps ahem...someone should create a new self-thread-killing thread for everyone who wants to bash one another upside their cyber heads about a tangent of this thread. evil4



If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Butterfly
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:39:09 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/21/2008
Posts: 1,238
Location: fluttering about
LOL @ your last two posts, WellMadeMale. Attempting to keep things light in the midst of serious debate is a worthy attribute, man.

The Think Tank...great title for good discussions and debatable topics, hmmm dare ye enter?? lol.

Seriously though, and not to ramble on, cause I can tend to do that at times. I was 'sent' to Sunday school every week, by that I mean my folks never went with me and I never understood why and never thought to ask until I got a bit older and then they really didn't have any good reason to give. I in turn then made the decision that I would rather not go anymore on my own, and so they didn't 'make' me anymore.

I learned and took in the teachings of course, but I always thought to myself when I was a teenager that it all seemed kind of fantastical to believe in. It is after all, and this is just my opinion, a book compiled of others' so-called accounts of incidents that happened or they witnessed or were involved in. How do we know these things are 100% true and fact, that they definitely happened and that said events contained at the end are going to happen? Yet, we're told from childhood that those things most definitely did occur and we should adhere to what the 'good book' dictates, or else...hmmm, right. To me, it all kind of seems like scare tactics to get one to live a certain way. Yes, it would be nice to know for sure wouldn't it? Maybe we'll each find out when we die...maybe not. Who knows?

So basically, I believe in the here and now and that life, as the old adage goes (or maybe it was a quote by a famous somebody), is what you make it. In saying that, I do believe in Karma of sorts...you know, the do unto others type thing and that what goes around does in fact somehow come back around to either kick you in the arse or bring about good in your life. I pretty much just try to live that way, be good to one another..it's a good way to be, in my opinion :).

There are many different religions and cultures that have their own set of beliefs and ways of living. To each their own I always say. I don't ridicule anyones set of beliefs or ideas, we are all entitled to our own after all.

Have a lovely day all icon_biggrin.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:05:35 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,624
"Do not believe in what you have heard;
Do not believe in traditions because
they have been handed down for many generations;
Do not believe anything
because it is rumored and spoken of by many;
Do not believe merely because
the written statement of some old sage is produced;
Do not believe in
conjectures;
Do not believe merely in the authority of your teachers and
elders.
After observation and analysis, when it agrees with reason and is
conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up
to it."
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.