Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The ACLU Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 10:53:58 AM

the American Civil Liberties Union - how much of what they do, and represent ... do you understand and/or agree or disagree with?

To you, is it just a needless, interfering and subversive organization -or- is it a worthy endeavor which seeks to protect the rights of everyone?

To note, just today...the ACLU Seeks to Block Cleric From Assassination from the Obama administration. The whackjob dude, is a dual citizen of America (New Mexico native) and Yemen. He's supposedly a bellicose Al Queda cleric and has been applauding the destruction of The Great Satan (from Yemeni soil) whenever possible.

The Obama administration has been thinking of putting a bulls-eye on his back for some time. Ohio Democrat Dennis Kucinich filed a suit seeking a ban on administration ordered assassinations.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/153899/rep-dennis-kucinich-seeks-ban-assassinations-us-citizens (The ACLU stepped up to the plate to assist Kucinich).

( Fox News video - with one of their usual legal experts discussing this ACLU suit, today: http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/21779455 )

Where do you stand, The American Civil Liberties Union ?

Myself - I'm a money donating 'member' of several years standing for this organization. And I fully agree with everything they represent and every case they have ever filed. Even when they assisted Limbaugh a few years ago. geek

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:56:49 PM

I've got one main gripe against the ACLU.

Quote:
Gun Control

The Second Amendment provides: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

ACLU POSITION
Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view.

The Supreme Court has now ruled otherwise. In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia.

The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. We do not, however, take a position on gun control itself. In our view, neither the possession of guns nor the regulation of guns raises a civil liberties issue.

In my opinion, "gun control" is very much a civil liberties issue. In every totalitarian regime in the 20th century, one of the very first acts the dictatorial government took was making sure that only their police and armies had access to self-defense weapons, and in most cases, offensive weapons. The ACLU's position is that the 2nd Amendment only guarantees a collective right, ie; the right of "the people" as a part of a larger group or militia. My opinion is that the 2nd Amendment guarantees an individual right - one that is guaranteed to every citizen of the United States. My reasoning for this is:

-- The Constitution of the United States defines "militia" as "every able-bodied man between the ages of 18 and 45" years of age. Not "every organized group of men."

-- People have argued that since the 2nd uses the plural "the people", it only applies to groups, not to individuals, but the first amendment uses similar language to the second (the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances) but has always been understood to apply to individuals, not just groups of people.

-- The Supreme Court of the United States has just recently held in no uncertain terms that the 2nd Amendment protects an individual right and always has.

The ACLU has effectively represented several gun owners in the recent past from being disarmed by the local governments. If they would just change their official position regarding the 2nd Amendment, then I would have no quarrel with their organization.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:11:38 AM

I am sure the ACLU would defend that pastor's right to free speech with his Koran bonfire he keeps spewing.

Mayor Bloomberg gets it too.

Lemme see if I understand this, however.

The radical islamists stay mum on this subject, but if you draw cartoons of Mohammed you earn a fatwa on your ass?

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.