Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Muslims outraged at police advert... Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:59:18 AM

From the Daily Mail.

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

Quote:

A postcard featuring a cute puppy sitting in a policeman's hat advertising a Scottish police force's new telephone number has sparked outrage from Muslims.

Tayside Police's new non-emergency phone number has prompted complaints from members of the Islamic community.

The choice of image on the Tayside Police cards - a black dog sitting in a police officer's hat - has now been raised with Chief Constable John Vine.

The advert has upset Muslims because dogs are considered ritually unclean and has sparked such anger that some shopkeepers in Dundee have refused to display the advert.

Quote:

They (the police) should have understood. Since then, the police have explained that it was an oversight on their part, and that if they'd seen it was going to cause upset they wouldn't have done it.'

Quote:
A spokesman for Tayside Police said: 'Trainee police dog Rebel has proved extremely popular with children and adults since being introduced to the public, aged six weeks old, as Tayside Police's newest canine recruit.

'His incredible world-wide popularity - he has attracted record visitor numbers to our website - led us to believe Rebel could play a starring role in the promotion of our non-emergency number.

'We did not seek advice from the force's diversity adviser prior to publishing and distributing the postcards. That was an oversight and we apologise for any offence caused.'

Opinions? Comments? Taking a cue from Nic, I'm withholding my own views for the time being...

Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:10:43 AM

Ok then now that is a first I guess me being a dog owner I don't see the issue with the add. That is a first I heard of dogs being considered unclean animals before.
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:23:44 AM

Who could be upset about such a cute puppy?!? I think the Tayside police did the best thing in this matter.... just wanna give that puppy a big ol' HUG! :D
Jacknife
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:04:47 PM

Firstly. This story is from the Daily Mail. The British Newspaper equivilent of Fox News. No one takes it seriously as a news source, more a propaganda rag or for the covering of chips.

Secondly, this story is 2 years old.

Thirdly, Muslims haven't said anything. One Guy who is a Muslim said something. Whats to say, we ignore him and move on.
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:26:13 PM

I have NEVER been a racist person.... yes, I have my pet peeves regarding people's personalities evil4 , yet I find myself (and hate myself for this) possibly becoming a racist (not saying towards who)...

all because I come to Lush's think tank.... sorry, but only because this topic (9/11 and muslims) is so prominent in this thread. I know the majority of members are american and because of 911, there are a lot of hard feelings... but surely there are other heavy/interesting topics we can discuss that is not based around a certain country or religion? I am worried visitors or potential members are going to be scared off because of these topics... and I am sure that we have muslims as members.... I hate to think what they think.

No offense, Nudie Pants and I am not singling you out, you are attacked on here enough by a certain person ~ and I don't want to be another as you know I do love you and am a fan.... it's just yours happens to be the latest topic about it ... I just felt it needed to be said...

OK... finished my rant... maybe I should just stay away from the think tank... happy8

Jacknife wrote:
Firstly. This story is from the Daily Mail. The British Newspaper equivilent of Fox News. No one takes it seriously as a news source, more a propaganda rag or for the covering of chips.

Secondly, this story is 2 years old.

HEY! I love this site!!!! LMAO and I thought every *cough* respected news site repeated their stories every 6 weeks/months evil4

LadyX
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:51:11 PM

Well, there's trying to present a good image as a government organization, but then there's fitting into society if you're the one that feels picked on. I have a hard time seeing how this could be perceived as an intended insult to Islam, even if dogs are considered unclean in their religion.
aussiescribbler
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 9:43:20 AM

If it was only one guy then it isn't a big issue. There are crazy people all over.

But it raises an interesting issue, that of reverence for other's religious beliefs. I believe we all have the right to freedom of belief, but also believe we all have the right to totally disrespect the religious beliefs of others. The truth doesn't need to be treated with reverence. Only a delusion is so fragile that irreverence can harm it. When some muslims threatened to kill a cartoonist for drawing a cartoon of Mahommet, or Salman Rushdie for writing The Satanic Verses, this was an admission on their part that they know their beliefs are bullshit. If they truly believed what they claim to believe, nothing could disturb them. Down through history there have been martyrs who truly believed in their faith and far from minding it being mocked they took death as a compliment, a confirmation of the validity of that faith. After all, if someone is so threatened by the beliefs of an unarmed person that they feel the need to kill them, that is pretty powerful evidence of the power of that idea.

I could paint a picture of Jesus fucking a donkey up the arse. That wouldn't detract one iota from the truth and beauty of Jesus' words. And anyone with any sense would realise that it is nothing more than a ludicrous product of my sick mind. But if I tried to display that painting in an adult's only art gallery in many, otherwise open-minded, countries in the world, I would be thrown in jail. Why? Because there are many Christians whose faith is so fragile or based on such a delusional idea of who Jesus was, that they need the rest of us to collude with them to keep it alive. But this is dangerous. Remove the survival of the fittest when it comes to beliefs and you end up with a barren and insipid culture.
Bunny12
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 9:48:36 AM

Sorry but put the puppy in the hat take your veil of your face and get a life! yep I really said that go ahead and be appalled.

Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 10:59:10 AM

bikebum1975 wrote:
Ok then now that is a first I guess me being a dog owner I don't see the issue with the add. That is a first I heard of dogs being considered unclean animals before.

You don't have to hear or read about it, do ya, Jimmy? I have observed dogs eating petrified cat terds before. If that is not proof of their indiscriminate uncleanliness I don't know what is.

I guess your dog(s) don't lick their own balls or other dogs' nether regions? Maybe your dog is not a dog? geek

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
LadyX
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 12:06:14 PM

Bunny12 wrote:
Sorry but put the puppy in the hat take you veil of your face and get a life! yep I really said that go ahead and be appalled.

LOL- ok, deal. And I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 1:00:13 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
I guess your dog(s) don't lick their own balls or other dogs' nether regions? Maybe your dog is not a dog? geek

Now don't lie and say that you wouldn't lick your balls if you could... And don't tell me you've never had your tongue near a hot chick's "nethers" either... bootyshake

WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 6:28:06 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
WellMadeMale wrote:

Now don't lie and say that you wouldn't lick your balls if you could... And don't tell me you've never had your tongue near a hot chick's "nethers" either... bootyshake

I suppose if I owned a twice a day-showering dog who also shaved his balls and inside of his thighs, I'd have a pretty talented dog. Especially if he also only sniffed and licked similarly groomed and hygienically cleansed female dogs.

But then - he wouldn't be, just a dog.

He'd be a fucking meal ticket for me! I'd have him and all his beyotches on the circus circuit!

WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 6:32:46 PM

He drinks, he smokes and he scopes out ass! If he's really a righteous Muslim, he sucks at it.