nicola
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 3:56:00 PM

http://www.progressiveu.org/210244-vagina-v-clitoris-a-history

Quote:
Vagina v. Clitoris: A History
By Donne with Death - Posted on September 3rd, 2007
Tagged: history • sex • Better future
A woman’s clitoris has eighteen parts, all of which play a
role in her sexual pleasure. The vagina, which accepts the penis, is only a part of the vast inner workings of the woman’s sexual satisfaction. Although this is not common knowledge, the respect for the sexual potential of a woman has increased dramatically since the 1950’s. Many men now know that their own stamina comes nowhere near that of women and must find other methods, such as cunnilingus (the use of the tongue on the clitoris to stimulate an orgasm), to satisfy their lover. However, in the fifties, the idea that a woman could not be satisfied by the male’s penis was blasphemy against his masculinity.

In the 50’s, knowledge of the female’s “lower regions” was scarce, but the desire to find that knowledge was almost unheard of because of Sigmund Freud. Almost all theories about the female’s sexual organs came from his outdated (almost forty years) and biased proclamations that a woman who could not be satisfied by the penis of her lover “must have something wrong with her” (2). He publicized the idea that clitoral orgasms were merely the “launching pad for the more ‘mature’ vaginal orgasm” (2). His ideas reinforced the penetrative and reproductive model, and because of them, doctors and psychologists gradually overlooked the vagina “until it became an anatomical nonentity” (1). Since it was of no scientific importance, the common couple based their sexual experiences on what was widely approved: sex for reproduction, not pleasure.

With no knowledge came no responsibility, and the men of the fifties felt none towards their partner’s sexual satisfaction. Of course, since “seventy-five percent of men [ejaculated] within two minutes,” and refused to use cunnilingus, they did not have much to offer in the ways of giving their partner any pleasure (Kinsey). Kinsey asked five gynecologists to examine the genitals of almost nine hundred women and discovered that it takes much more to stimulate a woman through vaginal orgasm than clitoral orgasm because the “deep interior walls of the vagina really…are quite insensitive,” but when gently touched on the clitoris, “ninety-eight percent of women were aware of it” (2). Although men could not understand why their partner did not share in their pleasure, they did little to try and change things. Her purpose had been served: she would bear children. This is reflected in the life of Margaret Sanger, the
founder of the birth control movement and one in eleven children, who blamed her mother’s death on her “father’s sexual appetite” (3). After nearly forty years, men still preferred Freud’s uninformed judgments than a happy and sexually fulfilled wife.

With the progression of women’s rights and the collapse of the widely enforced ban on sexual promiscuity came the gaining of scientific knowledge of the female’s sexual organs. Throughout the next four decades, prominent figures such as Alfred Kinsey, author of Sexual Behavior in the Human Female (1953), Masters and Johnson, authors of Human Sexual Response (1966), Shere Hite, author of Hite Report: A Nationwide Study of Female Sexuality
(1989), and Dr. Mary Jane Shefrey, author of The Nature and Evolution of Female Sexuality (1972), began to study and proclaim the scientific truth about the clitoris: it is to be respected. With 15,000 nerve fibers and eighteen fundamental “hotspots,” a woman can have multiple orgasms in one round of sex, whereas men need a “refractory period” that can last anywhere from a few minutes to a whole day. If a man cares enough about his lover’s sexual fulfillment, his tongue could be much more effective than his penis to bring her to the point she deserves to be at. Now both men and women can sleep with
one another with only the slightest fear of being unfulfilled.

The men and women of today own a great magnitude of sexual knowledge and maturity as compared to the men and women of the 1950’s. With the knowledge, sexual pleasure has improved dramatically for both sexes, bringing together more and more relationships than ever before. If men of today disregard their lover’s sexual prowess, they may very well end up like John Bobbitt, whose penis was cut off in 1993 by his wife because she felt it was unfair that “he always had an orgasm and didn’t wait for her” (2).
Curious2c
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 10:11:08 PM

To some it must seem like rocket science. I've known some men to ask me what's the best way to provide oral sex on a woman. There is no one singular way. Each woman has their own...theme.

The article goes a long ways to explaining some things, but I also think that quite a bit of religious attitudes helped to hold women in that dark area of non-enjoyable sex too. To this day this occurs all over the world.

The clitoris...ahh...such a wonderful, small little thing that has so much power inside it.
SusanEngland
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 10:44:04 PM

Just another female genitalia article. Always popular. Yawwwnnnnnnn
nicola
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 11:21:26 PM

SusanEngland wrote:

Hey you! I thought it was interesting how they might know that 75% of men came within 2 minutes dontknow

Got to love spurious journalism.
SusanEngland
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:30:18 AM

Lush wrote:
SusanEngland wrote:

Hey you! I thought it was interesting how they might know that 75% of men came within 2 minutes dontknow

Got to love spurious journalism.

Sorreeeeeee I didn't get that far LOL.d'oh!
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2007 3:52:33 PM

Did you say "spurting journalism"?
Xara
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:39:55 PM

Curious2c wrote:
To some it must seem like rocket science. I've known some men to ask me what's the best way to provide oral sex on a woman.

My advice is to watch a girl/girl movie.
Curious2c
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:22:28 PM

Xara wrote:
Curious2c wrote:
To some it must seem like rocket science. I've known some men to ask me what's the best way to provide oral sex on a woman.

My advice is to watch a girl/girl movie.

I did years ago...took it to heart. Added and modified as I went along with little changes to how I did it with each woman I was with. Some like it hot...some like it cold...icon_biggrin