Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Euthanasia Options · View
sprite
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:29:30 AM

Euthanasia, or physician-assisted suicide, as it applies to terminally ill patients. yep, i thought it was time to put up a topic that isn't so very controversial. And, to add to the mix, i'd like query peoples veiws on Dr Death, Jack Kevorkian, saint or devil or somewhere in between?

to your corners, ladies and gentlemen, and discuss. :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:53:33 PM

I believe in using it. I also like Jack Kevorkian. IMO he's way ahead of the rest of the world. I also think the government should stay out of right to die issues like Terry Schiavo and others.

Am I a criminal? The world knows I'm not a criminal. What are they trying to put me in jail for? You've lost common sense in this society because of religious fanaticism and dogma.
Jack Kevorkian
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:59:52 PM

Meanwhile, in Europe...

Euthanasia: a continent divided

Quote:
Assisted suicide is not illegal in Switzerland and can have the involvement of non-physicians.

Hundreds of Europeans have travelled to Zurich to end their lives because of Dignitas, an organisation set up in 1998 to help people with terminal illnesses.

They are provided with a lethal dose of barbiturates which they have to take themselves.

But Dignitas was forced to move from the flat it was using because of opposition from residents in the area.

At one point, those using its services were told to use hotel rooms and, according to one report, one man decided to die in his car.

According to Swiss law, a person can be prosecuted only if helping someone commit suicide out of self-interested motivation.

Dignitas' staff work as volunteers.

Reprehensiballs
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:36:26 PM

I hope it never happens, but if I ever get a very painful and terminal illness, I will definitely be looking for ways to terminate the illness ahead of time. It's kind of wierd that we acknowledge the wisdom of putting animals to sleep when they are suffering. Yet despite the fact that humans can actually make an informed decision about their situation, we refuse to even allow them the dignity of a peaceful death. Instead physicians are supposed to keep treating us and dragging the pain out for as long as possible. I hope I never have cause to regret the fact that euthansia is illegal in Britain, but I certainly already hate it.

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
mercianknight
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 10:23:04 AM

chefkathleen wrote:
I believe in using it. I also like Jack Kevorkian. IMO he's way ahead of the rest of the world. I also think the government should stay out of right to die issues like Terry Schiavo and others.

Am I a criminal? The world knows I'm not a criminal. What are they trying to put me in jail for? You've lost common sense in this society because of religious fanaticism and dogma.
Jack Kevorkian

Thanks Chef, you're really good at summing up what would have taken me several paragraphs.

Now that I am old enough to be attending more funerals than weddings, it hurts me to the core when I see people suffering through so-called 'cures' and treatments that may very well extend life, but at what cost to quality. Give me enough time to say my good-byes with dignity and then let me go.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
SweetPenny
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 10:34:14 AM

People should have the right to end their own lives.
LadyX
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 10:41:47 AM

I agree with all the comments above- you guys put it better than I could anyway. This is just another example of trying to make some people's morals into laws, in my opinion.
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 11:17:53 AM

yep, i agree we should have it too. malpractice insurance would be astronomical though. wonder if we have people, im sure we do, who are docs and nurses in the critical care and hospice fields here on lush. would love to hear their input.
pb69
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:36:21 AM

Both of my parents are retired medical professionals and both of them told me that they have quietly assisted people when it was clearly time to go. It seems that most medical professionals who are proponents of euthanasia will not speak openly about it (likely, due to fear of prosecution [persecution?]) and I'm pretty sure not all medical professionals will agree that it's the right thing to do.

As for myself, if I have any choice in the matter, I would surely choose euthanasia after saying goodbye to those important to me.
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:48:23 AM

my husband is in critical care and i know that he has helped in making his dying patients "more comfortable" - a lot more - to ease their passage but short of outright assistance.

wonder where the line would be drawn though, if we had this. would this be only for terminal patients..ones already in hospice? or would it be for the 20 year old kid who has already become fed up with life, too? after all, if it is said that we should be able to control our own deaths it stands to reason that anyone then would have the right to be euthanized. how realistic and rational that is is another matter however ;)
Woman
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:48:15 PM

pb69 wrote:
Both of my parents are retired medical professionals and both of them told me that they have quietly assisted people when it was clearly time to go. It seems that most medical professionals who are proponents of euthanasia will not speak openly about it (likely, due to fear of prosecution [persecution?]) and I'm pretty sure not all medical professionals will agree that it's the right thing to do..

Firstly let me say... please thank your parents on my behalf.

Secondly; I think it is a personal choice and should not be regulated by the government or laws or anything of the like.

Suicide- If a person wants to kill themselves, they are going to. They will find some way to make it happen. I say let it happen in a hospital under controlled circumstances, see if they will be ok with their organs being harvested for donation. Their not wanting to live, can help someone who is fighting to live live.

Euthanasia- For those that are ill, and want to die in peace, on their terms after fighting a battle for their health, I say it is none of our business but theirs. It is painful to watch a loved one wilt away from the person they were, a vibrant man or woman into a hollowed out shell of who they used to be because of an illness.

And this is me looking into the situation and not there living it.

I am all for it. And if there comes a time, where I cannot be a functioning member of society any longer, I will be looking to travel to a part of the world where it is permitted.

If one day euthanasia were to be acceptable by law, I wonder what would the paperwork would be like for legal purposes to prevent the fall out from grieving loved ones?

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Reprehensiballs
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:27:08 PM

Suicide is an entirely different issue, depression is often treatable and people who would definitely kill themselves if allowed to do so often go on to lead full and happy lives after treatment. If at 15 years old I had not been rushed to hospital and pumped out after taking more than 70 paracetamol tablets, my son and daughter, and beautiful grandson would not be around to enjoy their lives. Suicide is a symptom of depression, not a cure.

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
Jacknife
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:12:03 PM

I look at it this way. If I wish to die for whatever reason whose right is it whether you are an individual or a government to tell me I can not do it. I have every right not to continue living if i do not wish to.

Now if I am physically able to take my own life thats fine, but if I need help to do it I personally hope somebody will help me.

Now it must be ones own decesion and I obviously I don't think even doctors should have such power. I hope that by the time I come to a point where I get some disease or have some accident where I can only move my eyebrows or something like that we will be enlightened enough that a friend or family member won't be prosecuted for doing what is right.