Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Idealism v Pragmatism Options · View
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:46:03 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,421
Location: The Orgasmatron
How do you lean?
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:16:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,140
Location: United States
nicola wrote:
How do you lean?


A little to the left in these pants...

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:36:14 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
That's an interesting question, and I admit I had to look up pragmatism to understand exactly what it means.

I'm not much of an idealist. I have a hard time seeing the point of arguing or rooting for things that just aren't realistic; for things that are some fantasy of a perfect world that doesn't and will not exist. I think believing in ideals, and having hope that they will come true, only sets you up for disappointment later- and then you're a sucker for having believed that those things were really possible. It's best- for me anyway- to keep my eyes open and see what's real, and only expect minimum things out of people and life. Both are mostly disappointing. You can't count on kindness or breaks, you have to be strong and provide your own strength instead of expecting it from life.

And when life surprises you, and when people turn out to be really great, that's a bonus, but you can't go around expecting it. That's just a recipe for disappointment and bitterness- feeling let down all the time like that. The opposite of that seems like idealism, where you expect great things, and maybe even fight for them- and lose most of the time. I'm glad there are idealists, I think that the really great developments that happen rarely are due to those people. But it's a tough road- as is life. I try to protect myself as much as I can. I think that makes me pragmatic.
LadySharon
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:48:47 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/5/2007
Posts: 2,106
Location: The Tundra, United States
LadyX wrote:


And when life surprises you, and when people turn out to be really great, that's a bonus, but you can't go around expecting it. That's just a recipe for disappointment and bitterness- feeling let down all the time like that. The opposite of that seems like idealism, where you expect great things, and maybe even fight for them- and lose most of the time. I'm glad there are idealists, I think that the really great developments that happen rarely are due to those people. But it's a tough road- as is life. I try to protect myself as much as I can. I think that makes me pragmatic.



hello1 Couldn't say it any better, LadyX.

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Latest poem, Longing, is out now!

College Sex:



New story now available!
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:36:13 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,053
I'd like to think I'm an idealist but, I'm probably more of a pragmatist.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:24:12 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,053
dancenude Walks down the middle of the road. Mr. Mayagi will not be pleased. LOL

-MV
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:23:48 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
Are all judgmental people idealists? In that you have to conform to their idea of what's right otherwise you're the one that's fucked up? Seems to me, like Rocco says, people who think a little bit and try to understand other points of view might be more pragmatist.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:36:05 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,871
Location: California
LadyX wrote:
Are all judgmental people idealists? In that you have to conform to their idea of what's right otherwise you're the one that's fucked up?


No, those people are called conservatives.

Just kidding conservatives I'm just having a laugh, don't start tossing tea of a boat.



Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:59:58 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,237
Location: West Coast
Can't an idealist be a bit of a dreamer (in a good way)?

Think of all those great risks and adventures you've taken in life that seemed to make no logical sense at the time but ended up resulting in the greatest of thrills and the most prized of memories to reflect back on. The concept of "Love" is, in itself, one of the greatest idealistic concepts we can ever conceive of!

I still try to keep a bit of idealism about me, but as I get older I tend to lean towards pragmatism to a much greater degree. If I lose all sense of idealism, then I feel like I'd just become somewhat of a jaded and disillusioned person, so I try to suspend logic and judgment when I can to retain a bit of the magic...




mercianknight
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 6:19:10 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/11/2009
Posts: 2,029
Location: whispering conspiratorially in your ear, Bermuda
MrNudiePants wrote:
nicola wrote:
How do you lean?


A little to the left in these pants...


lol

But seriously.

Life's little adventure will have each of us crossing this line many times for many reasons. Indeed, you can have "pragmatic idealists" and "idealistic pragmatists". The environment you are in will define your view of pragmatism. The things you wish for or want to fight for may make you an idealist in your environment, however, in another persons shoes/environment your idealism may be the norm thereby making you a pragmatist in the other persons eyes.

Confused yet? Good, now, ideally, you'd like to blame me for giving you a head-ache, but the pragmatist in you will blame Nicola for starting this thread evil4

Me? In football I am an idealist - wanted England to do better; in general, I'd ideally like Chef to give me some one-on-one tutoring whilst the wife isn't looking. In truth, I have to be a pragmatist - sorry Chef!

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Maverick777
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 6:25:26 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/7/2010
Posts: 245
Location: Arkham asylum for criminally insane,Gotham
Pragmatism is what runs the universe,nothing is ideal here,because it doesn't need to be.The evolution of species is the the best example of Pragmatism.Nature has a rule- shed off whatever is impractical,grow only what has useful practical consequences.Idealism is very hard to achieve so it is harder to maintain.No matter what,you cannot achieve a mechanism with 100% efficiency.

Let's put a smile on that face.
Guest
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 11:03:44 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,053
mercianknight wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:
nicola wrote:
How do you lean?


A little to the left in these pants...


lol

But seriously.

Life's little adventure will have each of us crossing this line many times for many reasons. Indeed, you can have "pragmatic idealists" and "idealistic pragmatists". The environment you are in will define your view of pragmatism. The things you wish for or want to fight for may make you an idealist in your environment, however, in another persons shoes/environment your idealism may be the norm thereby making you a pragmatist in the other persons eyes.

Confused yet? Good, now, ideally, you'd like to blame me for giving you a head-ache, but the pragmatist in you will blame Nicola for starting this thread evil4

Me? In football I am an idealist - wanted England to do better; in general, I'd ideally like Chef to give me some one-on-one tutoring whilst the wife isn't looking. In truth, I have to be a pragmatist - sorry Chef!



S'quite alright. I understand perfectly. happy8
Guest
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:07:42 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 532,053
well nicola, you stumped me, gonna have to get "Prolegomena to any Future Metaphysics" and I'll get back to you.
Piquet
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:33:01 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/12/2009
Posts: 339
Location: Adelaide, Australia
The idealistic man imagines the intelligent, classy and sophisticated woman of his dreams while wanking pragmatically in front of a picture of Megan Fox.


http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/claudia-incarnatapart-vii.aspx
sprite
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 11:07:05 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 14,423
Location: My Tower, United States
I guess, if i had to choose, i'd say idealiest. i know it's an unrealistic view, but i really strive toward wanting the world to be the way it SHOULD be, wanting people to set an example of how they should treat each other. even if we have differing veiws we should all do our best to settle them peacefully, to take care of those who have trouble taking care of themselve, to promote the best in people. the arts should be as important as business or the military and people with those leanings should be nurtured. everyone should have a place to live, food to eat, the chance to be happy - yeah, it sounds a little like socialism or communism or whatever (which, in their idealogical forms actually have a lot to be said for them). i want to see us live up to our potential, put aside greed and jealousy and anger and violence - yeah, i guess in a way i'm a hippie chick, and i know it's all a pipe dream, and i certainly can't live up to those ideals myself, let alone expect anyone else to, but if we all just tried to, i think it would be a better world.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
GabrielSweet
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 8:42:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/17/2010
Posts: 95
Location: Shelbyville
I started out like so many as an idealist, I believed that anything was possible, anything could be changed or improved. I could accomplish all of the ideals I had set for my life.


After a half century of life on this blue marble I have realized that life can be what you make it, but anything is not always possible. There are so many variables in life that you have to realisticly look at what you are capable of doing. I accomplished several of the goals I had set for my life, but honestly and realisticly it took and incredible amount of real work. I now am pragmatic about my idealism and willing to be a little more conservative of the windmills I try to topple.


So does this make me an idealistc pragmatist or a pragmatic idealist? Hmmmm


Yeah I know, deep enough to drown in


God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time - Robin Williams.


angel7


Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.