Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you believe in "God"? Options · View
Guest
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:39:12 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
Jillicious wrote:
This is the closest thing I have ever seen to an atheist congregation. Now everybody just needs some songs to sing.


I know!! So sad. So much darkness.
FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:50:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/2/2010
Posts: 949
Location: Sneaking up behind you.
What darkness? Where?

The reviews are in. Here's what people are saying about FicklePickleTickle:
"BestCukeOnTheVine" - LusciousLola.
"Pickle juice rocks!" - curiousbutterfly.
"Pickles is really a jalapeño" - sw33tang3l
"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.
"If FTP Eats A Pickle, Is That Cannibalism? " Nikki703
"FTP makes me wet. . ." - imhapless.
"Always thought he was dill but he's actually a sweet pickle." - kinkygirl.

Guest
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 6:00:22 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
FicklePickleTickle wrote:
How evil are these Christians deep down if they only thing that keeps them in check is fear of eternal damation


well praise the baby jesus they do have it otherwise they might go around shooting everyone that doesnt prescribe to their particular party line...

FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 11:51:24 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/2/2010
Posts: 949
Location: Sneaking up behind you.
Actually, my story was about my enlightenment, which I would describe as me coming out of the darkness.

Reality crashing down on me and the fact that I wasted years of my life because people over the centuries were too scared to question religion is the real darkness in my story.

Okay. I'll play along, Miss "Darkness": Explain why, when I prayed for 15 years for even the tiniest sign from "God", and looked everywhere for that sign; that I got nothing from "Him"? What's your clever answer for that?

The reviews are in. Here's what people are saying about FicklePickleTickle:
"BestCukeOnTheVine" - LusciousLola.
"Pickle juice rocks!" - curiousbutterfly.
"Pickles is really a jalapeño" - sw33tang3l
"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.
"If FTP Eats A Pickle, Is That Cannibalism? " Nikki703
"FTP makes me wet. . ." - imhapless.
"Always thought he was dill but he's actually a sweet pickle." - kinkygirl.

DamonX
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:12:26 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
Jillicious wrote:
This is the closest thing I have ever seen to an atheist congregation. Now everybody just needs some songs to sing.


Really? Are people still using this argument?

Not believing in religion is still a religion? I guess we can't win.

Boo hoo!

I guess I'm a devout believer in the power of gravity...and I'm a fundamentalist follower of the idea that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Because science and bronze age superstition....obviously the same thing. confused5

Just because someone is passionate about something...doesn't make them religious. Otherwise I'd be praying at the altar of masturbation every morning.... drunken
Guest
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:17:02 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
DamonX wrote:
Jillicious wrote:
This is the closest thing I have ever seen to an atheist congregation. Now everybody just needs some songs to sing.


Really? Are people still using this argument?

Not believing in religion is still a religion? I guess we can't win.

Boo hoo!

I guess I'm a devout believer in the power of gravity...and I'm a fundamentalist follower of the idea that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Because science and bronze age superstition....obviously the same thing. confused5

Just because someone is passionate about something...doesn't make them religious. Otherwise I'd be praying at the altar of masturbation every morning.... drunken


so damon does this mean you wont join The Church of Lush? :p
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:08:47 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,212
Location: Cakeland, United States
LittleMissBitch wrote:
DamonX wrote:
Jillicious wrote:
This is the closest thing I have ever seen to an atheist congregation. Now everybody just needs some songs to sing.


Really? Are people still using this argument?

Not believing in religion is still a religion? I guess we can't win.

Boo hoo!

I guess I'm a devout believer in the power of gravity...and I'm a fundamentalist follower of the idea that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Because science and bronze age superstition....obviously the same thing. confused5

Just because someone is passionate about something...doesn't make them religious. Otherwise I'd be praying at the altar of masturbation every morning.... drunken


so damon does this mean you wont join The Church of Lush? :p


You are familiar with what happens when you invite Him in, right? According to legend, I mean. Not that I believe in that kind of thing. geek

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Jillicious
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:17:14 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,292
Location: United States
DamonX wrote:
Jillicious wrote:
This is the closest thing I have ever seen to an atheist congregation. Now everybody just needs some songs to sing.


Really? Are people still using this argument?

Not believing in religion is still a religion? I guess we can't win.

Boo hoo!

I guess I'm a devout believer in the power of gravity...and I'm a fundamentalist follower of the idea that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Because science and bronze age superstition....obviously the same thing. confused5

Just because someone is passionate about something...doesn't make them religious. Otherwise I'd be praying at the altar of masturbation every morning.... drunken



I was merely trying to lighten the mood a little. But hey, thanks for being as classy as a two dollar hooker.
FicklePickleTickle
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 10:32:07 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/2/2010
Posts: 949
Location: Sneaking up behind you.
Did you have a song in mind, Jill?

The reviews are in. Here's what people are saying about FicklePickleTickle:
"BestCukeOnTheVine" - LusciousLola.
"Pickle juice rocks!" - curiousbutterfly.
"Pickles is really a jalapeño" - sw33tang3l
"Will someone make that guy sit down, my kids can't see the movie?!?" - Some guy in at the theater.
"Shouldn't he be wearing clothes if he's going to be in the wedding?" - Your mom.
"If FTP Eats A Pickle, Is That Cannibalism? " Nikki703
"FTP makes me wet. . ." - imhapless.
"Always thought he was dill but he's actually a sweet pickle." - kinkygirl.

Katalyst
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:18:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/21/2009
Posts: 102
Location: Skegness, United Kingdom
I have a complicated view on God, I don't believe the God as we know it exists, neither do I believe anything written in the Bible. But there are things that make me wonder, I'm a firm follower of science, but in the end it doesn't answer the question of absolute creation, to me it seems a higher power must have been involved somewhere down the line... but then.. where did that higher power come from?

I am unable to grasp the concept of faith, and I have a hunger for knowledge, for that reason I would never be able to devote myself to religion. However, I do think there is a need for it, a beacon for people to gather around if you will..

I came across an interesting question once though, and it is not meant offensively, just curiously.. Does being less intelligent make you more likely to believe in God, and devote your life to faith?
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:55:22 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,538
Location: California
Katalyst wrote:
I have a complicated view on God, I don't believe the God as we know it exists, neither do I believe anything written in the Bible. But there are things that make me wonder, I'm a firm follower of science, but in the end it doesn't answer the question of absolute creation, to me it seems a higher power must have been involved somewhere down the line... but then.. where did that higher power come from?

I am unable to grasp the concept of faith, and I have a hunger for knowledge, for that reason I would never be able to devote myself to religion. However, I do think there is a need for it, a beacon for people to gather around if you will..

I came across an interesting question once though, and it is not meant offensively, just curiously.. Does being less intelligent make you more likely to believe in God, and devote your life to faith?


Here you go. It's a good one :)

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst13286_Are-intelligent-people-less-likely-to-believe-in-god.aspx




Guest
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:12:51 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
Buddhist. no
Dudealicious
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 5:44:03 PM

Rank: Wise Ass

Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 5,336
Location: The center of the universe, Canada
I am part of a family that was never religous, but still "thanked god" when things went well and "prayed" when we wanted to try to change things. I personally think the world's problems have to do more with religion. How many wars, bombings, and massacres must happen in the name of the good book (whichever book you believe in)

Sorry off topic a little but do I believe in god I guess my answer is - which religions definition of god? I would answer no.

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

hornyoleman53
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 6:17:05 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 9/10/2010
Posts: 2
Location: Indiana
Oh yes,I do believe in God.It calms me as I talk to him in prayer.
And I know he is listening.Sometimes he doesn't answer your requests.But he loves us all the same.
And I'm so very thankful for that.
Guest
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 6:42:44 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
I'm at a loss; I'm not sure if I do or not yet. I cannot say he does for certain, nor can I say he doesn't. But, I will say I greatly despise fanatics and zealots that act self-righteous.
myself
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 8:06:10 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
I believe everything is God, from the most "insignificant" thing in the universe to the most horrific evils of man. It's logical to me that nothing would exist without every counter measure.

I personally prefer to think of this ultimate being, and yes I believe it's a being because it's not just matter but spirit that lives in it's evolution, and I believe that it is alive. It's in the bond an animal has with it's offspring. It's the way plants create perfect environments for their seedlings. It's how we crawled from the seas to become upright. It's in the complete combined elements that created everything and which also nourishes everything. It's the balance and wonder of perfectness even in death which contributes to it's life.

And in each and every way, I praise it in it's entirety. I speak with my God as a child would speak to her father for he is my father. : )

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
nicola
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 8:50:22 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 24,850
Location: Sydney, Australia
Guest
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 10:01:57 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
The biggest threat to "Christian Civilization" are people who interpret the Bible in the wrong way and use it as a means to further themselves or their causes by harming and killing others. Think of Communism vs Capitalism; Christians fear the spread of Atheism just as America feared the spread of Communism. Now, I highly doubt Atheism will destroy itself, but I also doubt it will bring about the end of Christianity.
Daughter-of-Samurai
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 12:39:37 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/10/2010
Posts: 29
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Yes, I do believe in God. I feel that this deep void in my heart is there, because I was created to have fellowship with him, but I missed it. I am actively seeking to regain that fellowship and I have no idea to where this will lead me. But I know that I have to look. I owe it to my life and to the life-giver
Guest
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 1:00:28 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
no, not at all
sprite
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 1:02:01 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,596
Location: My Tower, United States
nicola wrote:


hey! how'd you get a pic of my ex? sheesh - i just can't get away from that 'bleep'!
Guest
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 2:27:02 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
Religion is like a Penis.


It's fine to have one.


It's fine to be proud of it. But Please don't whip it out and start waving it around, and PLEASE don't try and shove it down my children's throats.
lvasage
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 4:12:54 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/3/2010
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Of course, God does exist and is the higher power. we all merge with God when we pass on. Imagine the engineering marvel, were planets revolve around each other without colliding for millions of years. How the entire universe is mathematically perfect...and how recently quantum physics has explained our existence, and quantum particles.

God is everywhere. we are instruments of god but with free will. that free will can be used to do good or not. if we do good...then we enjoy goodness in our lives. karma is real. in christianity karma is referred to as sin. every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

God is love. Gods love is beyond the physical.

There are 3 types of human love.

1. Physical and romantic love
2. Family and friendship love
3. Spiritual and intellectual love - this is the highest form of human love and is also known as divine love.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 4:42:19 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
3 types:

1. Physical: Eros. In greek we use the word erotevmenos to symbolize the anticipated union of two people. Or you can go with the common western term erotic, in which, the love is of a more primal nature. Erotevmenous also has a connotation that the love is not purely physical, but all encompassing.

2. Romatic: Agape. S'agapo. In Greek it used used as a term of endearment towards a family member, friend, or your own hearts content.

3. Friends: Philos. O philos mou (My friend), as said in Greek, and an emphasis can be placed by saying, "Agapo ton philo mou." Wherein you trully love your friend, and hold them dear without any sexual conotation.

4. Platonic Love: the spiritual and intellectual. Used in old days by the knowledgeable to "pass" their knowledge on fledglings (students), or in this age for one party to try and get into the pants of the second party without seeming "dangerous". In my opinion, we are sexual beings, and such is almost impossible without some glimpse of how it might be.

If god be the almighty with unlimited resource, then why hide the light?

If god be the ultimate of love, then why punish the good because of a "human fault" of disbelief.

We are good without such belief, if we allow ourselves to believe how good we truly are and can be.
lvasage
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:05:51 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/3/2010
Posts: 3
Location: United States
The "light" is all the good in the world. "Darkness" is all the negative or ungodly actions in the world.

The good do not get "punished" as you say. Any negative experiences is the working out of any negative karma or "wrong actions" of the past. This is not a human "fault". Rather the cosmic law which governs human actions. No different than the cosmic law of gravity.

We truly can be good if we choose to. That is why we have free will to choose. However, our action do have consequences that is governed by the law of action and reaction - karma.
lvasage
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:35:52 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 11/3/2010
Posts: 3
Location: United States

"Now to each one the "manifestation of the Spirit" (us humans) is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues." (1 Corinthians 12:7-10)

"For this reason, since the day we heard the word, we have not stopped praying for you and asking you to fill us with the knowledge of your will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding." (Colossians 1:9)
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 4:14:18 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
hmmm Im not religious, and I dont believe in god.....but I believe in the bible to a cirtain extent (i.e. jesus , mossis ect). I dont know how the world was created but I dont think it matters to much because we are here now, and we are living so why wonder about why or how we are here.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 4:36:25 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 470,160
ambiguous: of doubtful or uncertain nature; difficult to comprehend, distinguish, or classify.

Light can and does come from one's own source of good, and the darkness but the ramifications of those good souls that have been darkened by others, and by the ambiguity of earthly creatures. If the creator is so perfect and divine and in control of and facilitator of mathematical perfection, then why be ambiguous to those it created in its own image? Why allow the unclear, and unsubstantiated proof?

mixed metaphor: the use in the same expression of two or more metaphors that are incongruous or illogical when combined.

karma: the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation

There is no reincarnation in scripture, there is resurrection. Reincarnation and resurrection do not have the same finality. Again, if one is good, and puts forward good karma in this life without the belief in one deity, then why punishment? If there is no punishment, then why hell? If there is hell then why did so divine a creature have so little tolerance from that which was created from it. If it did not see it coming then is it truly omnipotent, as it is said? For if all is seen in one instant, and the finality is also known, then why create what will destroy?

Confusion only leads to more confusion, and scripture is but a failed and unproven theory as is some science. However, science does not rule out the creator because of the scientific method. While those believing fervently in that one creator cannot fathom existence without such, and thus deny question, and disallows humankind the freewill to choose for themselves without repercussion.

In summation, why all the mystery and ambiguity, and please, scripture? What did any of what was quoted have to do with my questions?



WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:11:24 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,212
Location: Cakeland, United States


If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:24:14 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,619
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland

I don't believe in God and would say I am a confirmed Atheist.

I'm quite comfortable with that position.

'Though raised a Catholic, (and believing that many Christian teachings have great moral value, universal respect for your fellow man for example, other Christian teachings do not, for example, the belief that homosexual love is an abomination. It is not.)

I try to live my life to a moral code and endeavour to treat others as I would wish to be treated. Mostly I'm successful in this but not always. But I try. As an aside, were I to have continued in the Catholic faith for example, my mere membership of a site like this one would guarantee me a one way ticket to Hell!

I remain convinced in my beliefs, while a tiny part of my spirituality acknowledges that if God does exist, (and I COULD be wrong) He or She would respect me as a Humanist and a person who tries to be a positive force in my own life and in the lives of others. (It is much easier to leave the Church than it is for the Church to leave you, I've found! And I'm okay with that.)

I respect deeply the views of Believers like Mr. Nudie Pants who hold an honest belief (albeit one I don't share) in a Supreme Being/God-Head while at the same time time being quite content to respect the opinions of someone who doesn't share that view.

The problem I have with SOME of those who believe in God, be he the Christian God, or Allah, or Jahweh, or Bhudda or Odin or Satan or (insert your Personal Preference here) is that many of these people are not willing to grant me (as a non-believer) the respect and freedom which I happily grant to them. If YOU want to believe that sex outside marriage is wrong; if YOU want to veil your women in the Bhurka; if YOU want to eschew the eating of Pork; if You want to believe in the banning of Abortion; if YOU are anti-contraception; if YOU want to circumsize your male children at birth; if YOU want to 'circumcize' your womenfolk at adolescence; if YOU want to stone adulterers to death along with consenting adult homosexuals; if YOU refuse to countenance the advantages to humanity of Embryonic Stem Cell Research; if YOU choose to believe that those who don't who don't adhere to your own beliefs will be eternally damned in the 'afterlife' then.... While I have some misgivings about your creed I am bound as a human being to accept your beliefs.... While disagreeing with them on a fundamental level.

What I AM NOT bound to accept is that you enshrine these beliefs into secular law and expect EVERYONE ELSE to follow suit..... Oh dear me, no.....

I am an Atheist. If you are not, I respect that although I may disagree. But grant me the Humanity and Human Spirituality I grant you... Like many non-Fundamentalist Muslims, (for example) I abhor female circumcision and like many non-Fundamentalist Christians I think the bombing of Abortion Clinics is criminal. I can argue these beliefs from a purely Humane stand-point. But I would never argue a person's right to believe in whatever God they choose. (Though I'd be happy to debate the morals of a Church that permits mutilation and murder...)

I don't force you to believe in what I believe, (or don't believe) and I'm happy to discuss it with you in a respectful manner. Grant me the same.

xx S

"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.