Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Wikileaks Options · View
steffanie
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:14:18 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/10/2008
Posts: 139
LadyX wrote:


Who's in danger because of these leaks?



Pentagon officials say their biggest concern is that the documents contain the names of over 300 Iraqis who cooperated with American forces as interpreters or informants - and who might now be subject to reprisal. - CNN


America may have used some dubious tactics and failed a lot of people by mistake, but wikileaks should have shown much more discretion in what they chose to reveal in highlighting America’s shortcomings.

For all it’s faults, I’d still much sooner see the US as top dog rather than Russia or China. I expect we all would.

I'm assuming the quote from CNN is true.


LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:17:14 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
Damn. That's a shame.

I can definitely agree that letting names slip is not good. The bulk of the info is no less revealing without making names public.
myself
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:16:02 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
LadyX wrote:
Who's in danger because of these leaks?

The United States of America

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:17:42 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
myself wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Who's in danger because of these leaks?

The United States of America


can you elaborate? If most of the info was already pretty much known, and the leaks were just confirmation of what was suspected, how does the nation suffer, other than some embarrassment on the part of our officials?
myself
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:23:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
LadyX wrote:
myself wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Who's in danger because of these leaks?

The United States of America


can you elaborate? If most of the info was already pretty much known, and the leaks were just confirmation of what was suspected, how does the nation suffer, other than some embarrassment on the part of our officials?


Well the way I see it is this is dividing our people even more at a time when we need to pull together and get through the military problems we're facing. I don't think the world leaders will judge the material as much as they may judge our country for their traders during war time.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:31:04 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
myself wrote:
LadyX wrote:
myself wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Who's in danger because of these leaks?

The United States of America


can you elaborate? If most of the info was already pretty much known, and the leaks were just confirmation of what was suspected, how does the nation suffer, other than some embarrassment on the part of our officials?


Well the way I see it is this is dividing our people even more at a time when we need to pull together and get through the military problems we're facing.


I definitely agree that it's dividing people. I think it's a nuisance, and I'm not naive enough to think that spying doesn't or shouldn't exist, but other than just shaking our heads at Wikileaks, what would anyone propose we do? I've read that prosecuting this is really tricky, and more than anything reeks of a government that's in damage control mode, butthurt over getting embarrassed by its own lack of security. I also think that certain things shouldn't be public knowledge, but that's the government's job to handle their business.

Naive would be to depend on private citizens, especially ones with strong feelings about the things governments do under cover, to feel some sense of "patriotism" for countries that they aren't even citizens of and sit on info they are given when that doesn't benefit them one bit. Their motive is beside the point, unless you want to lock them up. Again my question would be, what do you lock them up for, and how do you justify it, if one feels that strongly about this issue?
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:32:08 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,905
Location: California
sprite wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
Come on guys! Did you all leave your conspiracy caps on the rack today? This is obviously a setup so wikileakes can be used to dispense misinformation to our enemies in the future. We're hooking them early with the good shit then switching it up later... AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!


wow... i hadn't thought about that, but really, why not? i mean, if it's true, it's kind of brilliant...


It would be pretty sneaky but I think I'm giving them too much credit...





Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:34:46 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,905
Location: California
Quote:
I don't think the world leaders will judge the material as much as they may judge our country for their traders during war time.


Are we still worried what other countries think? Seriously? I thought our actions, for a while now, have shown that we don't care.



Guest
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:38:14 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,748
Magical_felix wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the world leaders will judge the material as much as they may judge our country for their traders during war time.


Are we still worried what other countries think? Seriously? I thought our actions, for a while now, have shown that we don't care.


Which is a mistake.
myself
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:42:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
LadyX wrote:
myself wrote:
LadyX wrote:
myself wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Who's in danger because of these leaks?

The United States of America


can you elaborate? If most of the info was already pretty much known, and the leaks were just confirmation of what was suspected, how does the nation suffer, other than some embarrassment on the part of our officials?


Well the way I see it is this is dividing our people even more at a time when we need to pull together and get through the military problems we're facing.


I definitely agree that it's dividing people. I think it's a nuisance, and I'm not naive enough to think that spying doesn't or shouldn't exist, but other than just shaking our heads at Wikileaks, what would anyone propose we do? I've read that prosecuting this is really tricky, and more than anything reeks of a government that's in damage control mode, butthurt over getting embarrassed by its own lack of security. I also think that certain things shouldn't be public knowledge, but that's the government's job to handle their business.

Naive would be to depend on private citizens, especially ones with strong feelings about the things governments do under cover, to feel some sense of "patriotism" for countries that they aren't even citizens of and sit on info they are given when that doesn't benefit them one bit. Their motive is beside the point, unless you want to lock them up. Again my question would be, what do you lock them up for, and how do you justify it, if one feels that strongly about this issue?


I believe in freedom of speech and don't know what to do with the outsiders and also believe, we will and should prosecute the people of our country that are involved in the treason because we are at war. Some things are just right or wrong and countless opinions won't change it.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
myself
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:46:32 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
chefkathleen wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the world leaders will judge the material as much as they may judge our country for their traders during war time.


Are we still worried what other countries think? Seriously? I thought our actions, for a while now, have shown that we don't care.


Which is a mistake.


Of course we care. Aren't we in business with the world and don't we need cooperation?

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:57:16 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
myself wrote:
I believe in freedom of speech and don't know what to do with the outsiders and also believe, we will and should prosecute the people of our country that are involved in the treason because we are at war. Some things are just right or wrong and countless opinions won't change it.


Ok, treason has been mentioned a few times in the media and in this thread. I don't mean to single you out, but I want to ask everyone, how is this treason? Isn't he an Australian citizen?
myself
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:02:44 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
Jebru wrote:
myself wrote:
I believe in freedom of speech and don't know what to do with the outsiders and also believe, we will and should prosecute the people of our country that are involved in the treason because we are at war. Some things are just right or wrong and countless opinions won't change it.


Ok, treason has been mentioned a few times in the media and in this thread. I don't mean to single you out, but I want to ask everyone, how is this treason? Isn't he an Australian citizen?


We are talking about the people that gave the information.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:03:01 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,905
Location: California
myself wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the world leaders will judge the material as much as they may judge our country for their traders during war time.


Are we still worried what other countries think? Seriously? I thought our actions, for a while now, have shown that we don't care.


Which is a mistake.


Of course we care. Aren't we in business with the world and don't we need cooperation?


I think it's worse that our mouths say one thing but our actions show another. I think that's what really pisses other countries off. It's the hypocrisy. And yes it is a mistake to not care. But let's be real, we do what we want regardless. It's wrong and stupid but we do. So acting like we care is just a waste of energy. By we I mean the united states as a whole because that's what other countries see. I'll quiet down now and let the grown ups speak...





myself
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:13:55 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
Magical_felix wrote:
myself wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the world leaders will judge the material as much as they may judge our country for their traders during war time.


Are we still worried what other countries think? Seriously? I thought our actions, for a while now, have shown that we don't care.


Which is a mistake.


Of course we care. Aren't we in business with the world and don't we need cooperation?


I think it's worse that our mouths say one thing but our actions show another. I think that's what really pisses other countries off. It's the hypocrisy. And yes it is a mistake to not care. But let's be real, we do what we want regardless. It's wrong and stupid but we do. So acting like we care is just a waste of energy. By we I mean the united states as a whole because that's what other countries see. I'll quiet down now and let the grown ups speak...



lol You are right young one. But realize nothing and no one is prefect. Relatively, we are the youngest yet greatest power in the world. Which means, we have done a gooood job in building this country and we will always have things to learn. : )

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:15:57 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
myself wrote:
Jebru wrote:
myself wrote:
I believe in freedom of speech and don't know what to do with the outsiders and also believe, we will and should prosecute the people of our country that are involved in the treason because we are at war. Some things are just right or wrong and countless opinions won't change it.


Ok, treason has been mentioned a few times in the media and in this thread. I don't mean to single you out, but I want to ask everyone, how is this treason? Isn't he an Australian citizen?


We are talking about the people that gave the information.


Here's the tricky part. From what I read, treason harder to prove than just "you received this information and published it". To start throwing people in jail for releasing any information that the US thinks embarrasses or harms it is very dangerous. Maybe you disagree. Maybe, like Kathleen, you feel like the freedoms we already have are too great, but I have a hard time seeing that point of view. The government would like nothing more than to take more freedom away, and who does that benefit, other than the government? Nobody.

I'd sum it up like this. Maybe, among all of us, there are two groups. Those that are fine with the US government deciding on its own what is treasonous, what is crime, by telling us that leaked documents put us all in danger therefore hammers should fall, and those of us that see that as extremely dangerous precedent and really the government should look in the mirror and fix their own house before creating fall guys for their own fuck-ups.

I'm doing a bad job of explaining it- or maybe its just that you and others don't agree, which is fine- but right now, to say that spreading info is a crime would be to fundamentally make western free-press journalism a crime. If you get the info, you are free to publish it, but this latest freakout has people in power rethinking this suddenly. Spying and stealing info is a crime, but by every account I've read, Wikileaks is simply passing along info they inherit, either paid or not. To prove anything beyond that is almost impossible from what I've read.

I just can't get past the feeling that this is the group of the absolute powerful upset that an annoying dog with a big mouth is nipping at its heels. But they use words like 'treason', and tell us 'our men and women' are in danger to get the emotional element of this working for them through the media.
Playmale
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 9:15:46 PM

Rank: Smiley Guru

Joined: 7/16/2008
Posts: 551
Location: United States
There is a lot of talk about "hanging the Traitors," but something that is a very important distinction is being missed.

If you watch this video of Daniel Ellsenberg that WMM posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2-PRlbvdo
he says that each official takes an oath of office to uphold the Constitution, so when an unlawful order comes from a superior (even from the President) they have a duty to their sworn oath.

That means that if they learn of an unlawful government action that they are bound by their oath to make it public.

So it turns out everyone not disclosing the unlawful secerts are the ones you should be going after with pitchforks.

How about that?

WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:05:17 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States
Playmale wrote:


So it turns out everyone not disclosing the unlawful secerts are the ones you should be going after with pitchforks.

How about that?



thumbup

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
myself
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:09:41 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
Playmale wrote:
There is a lot of talk about "hanging the Traitors," but something that is a very important distinction is being missed.

If you watch this video of Daniel Ellsenberg that WMM posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2-PRlbvdo
he says that each official takes an oath of office to uphold the Constitution, so when an unlawful order comes from a superior (even from the President) they have a duty to their sworn oath.

That means that if they learn of an unlawful government action that they are bound by their oath to make it public.

So it turns out everyone not disclosing the unlawful secerts are the ones you should be going after with pitchforks.

How about that?



Very interesting. This would further my belief that all will take care of it's self in the end. I feel for all involved especially the one that may loose their lives.

As I mentioned earlier, as a country, we are growing up fast and furiously. Maybe this is a good thing? Honestly I don't know but am proud of us.


Also, I wrote to Magical_felix that "no one or thing is perfect" and have thought about this. I truly believe it's possible that the sum of all, the yin and yang compounded with evolution may be perfect. : )

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:30:42 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,905
Location: California
myself wrote:
Playmale wrote:
There is a lot of talk about "hanging the Traitors," but something that is a very important distinction is being missed.

If you watch this video of Daniel Ellsenberg that WMM posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ2-PRlbvdo
he says that each official takes an oath of office to uphold the Constitution, so when an unlawful order comes from a superior (even from the President) they have a duty to their sworn oath.

That means that if they learn of an unlawful government action that they are bound by their oath to make it public.

So it turns out everyone not disclosing the unlawful secerts are the ones you should be going after with pitchforks.

How about that?



Very interesting. This would further my belief that all will take care of it's self in the end. I feel for all involved especially the one that may loose their lives.

As I mentioned earlier, as a country, we are growing up fast and furiously. Maybe this is a good thing? Honestly I don't know but am proud of us.


Also, I wrote to Magical_felix that "no one or thing is perfect" and have thought about this. I truly believe it's possible that the sum of all, the yin and yang compounded with evolution may be perfect. : )


So you gonna give me a hit of that shit or what? icon_smile



Jillicious
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:05:06 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,293
Maybe we should all stop acting like teenage girls; telling secrets about everyone behind their backs.


Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:47:40 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,288
Location: Cakeland, United States
The following are comments directly from Assange, in Forbe's interview.

We deal with organizations that do not obey the rule of law.
So laws don’t matter. Intelligence agencies keep things secret
because they often violate the rule of law or of good behavior.


We accept all material of diplomatic, historical or ethical
significance that hasn’t been released before and is under active suppression.

There’s a question about which industries have the greatest
potential for reform. Those may be the ones we haven’t heard
about yet. So what’s the big thing around the corner? The real
answer is I don’t know. No one in the public knows.
But someone on the inside does know.

Within the intelligence industry is one example. They have a
higher level of secrecy. And that’s also true of the banking industry.

Other industries that are extremely well paid, say Goldman Sachs,
might have higher incentives not to lose their jobs.

So it’s only the obvious things that we want: Things concerning
intelligence and war, and mass financial fraud.
Because they affect so many people so severely.

To keep people in control, you only need to make them scared.
The CIA is not scared as an institution of people leaking. It’s scared
that people will know that people are leaking and getting away with it.
If that happens, the management loses control.


I feel the guy is attempting to enforce ethical behavior by corporations and the MIC.
The Military Industrial Complex. And he needs help to do so. Those fuckers
don't want to give up control and power. Those asshats like standing on our
necks, spying on our communications, manipulating currencies and
generally fucking over 99.9% of the rest of the world's population.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
myself
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:53:38 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
WellMadeMale wrote:
The following are comments directly from Assange, in Forbe's interview.

We deal with organizations that do not obey the rule of law.
So laws don’t matter. Intelligence agencies keep things secret
because they often violate the rule of law or of good behavior.


We accept all material of diplomatic, historical or ethical
significance that hasn’t been released before and is under active suppression.

There’s a question about which industries have the greatest
potential for reform. Those may be the ones we haven’t heard
about yet. So what’s the big thing around the corner? The real
answer is I don’t know. No one in the public knows.
But someone on the inside does know.

Within the intelligence industry is one example. They have a
higher level of secrecy. And that’s also true of the banking industry.

Other industries that are extremely well paid, say Goldman Sachs,
might have higher incentives not to lose their jobs.

So it’s only the obvious things that we want: Things concerning
intelligence and war, and mass financial fraud.
Because they affect so many people so severely.

To keep people in control, you only need to make them scared.
The CIA is not scared as an institution of people leaking. It’s scared
that people will know that people are leaking and getting away with it.
If that happens, the management loses control.


I feel the guy is attempting to enforce ethical behavior by corporations and the MIC.
The Military Industrial Complex. And he needs help to do so. Those fuckers
don't want to give up control and power. Those asshats like standing on our
necks, spying on our communications, manipulating currencies and
generally fucking over 99.9% of the rest of the world's population.


edit- He's right about the Scared part. For sure. And yes we need to remember what's Right.

Tough one.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:00:58 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,789
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
I just got this sent to me by my father...so, I assume it is true...

December 2, 2010
U.S. Orders Diplomats to Stop Telling Truth Until Further Notice
Fallout from WikiLeaks Mess


WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – In the first major policy fallout from the WikiLeaks disclosures, the State Department has ordered all U.S. diplomats to “cease and desist telling the truth until further notice.”

“We are working overtime to try to make sure that leaks like these don’t happen again,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters. “But until we’ve got the leaks plugged, it’s incumbent on all our diplomats to put on their lying caps.”

Secretary Clinton noted that since many US diplomats are major political donors with long careers in the business world, “this shouldn’t be a reach for them.”

But for those career diplomats who came up through the Foreign Service, the State Department will be holding a series of “truth avoidance seminars,” led by executives of Goldman Sachs.

Additionally, Secretary Clinton said, the State Department would install on all diplomats’ computers new software called CandorShield™, which automatically translates truthful language into a less embarrassing truth-free version.

For example, she explained, the software would translate the phrase “two-faced weasels” into “trusted Pakistani allies” and would delete all references to French President Nicolas Sarkozy as “Monsieur Shorty Pants.”

Elsewhere, Interpol issued this statement about its pursuit of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange: “We will find Julian Assange, and then we will hire him.”




Albert Sonnenfeld: always on-line
"No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery."


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

nicola
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:20:44 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,492
Location: The Orgasmatron
laughing9 Your puns are working overtime today dm.
mercianknight
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 1:39:52 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/11/2009
Posts: 2,029
Location: whispering conspiratorially in your ear, Bermuda
Okay everyone, this thread ends here....right now......by order of the US Government!!

No sh*tting you.

Wikileaks banned by US Govt

"Here Comes The Coercion! (Wikileaks)

From DemocracyNow:

The U.S. State Department has imposed an order barring employees from reading the leaked WikiLeaks cables. State Department staffers have been told not to read cables because they were classified and subject to security clearances. The State Department’s WikiLeaks censorship has even been extended to university students. An email to students at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs says: "The documents released during the past few months through Wikileaks are still considered classified documents. [The State Department] recommends that you DO NOT post links to these documents nor make comments on social media sites such as Facebook or through Twitter. Engaging in these activities would call into question your ability to deal with confidential information, which is part of most positions with the federal government."

Got that?

If you're a student and access this material, you could be barred from any Federal employment.

And by the way, this is not just university students.

I am aware of (but have not until now reported on) a series of "all-staff" memos that have gone out to all employees of a number of firms that do business with the Federal government, including some classified work, warning that any access to Wikileaks including on personal computers wholly owned by the employee at their home constitutes an event that may result in them being fired and/or having their clearance revoked.

Needless to say if you have a clearance (and need it to do your job) and it's revoked from an employment perspective you're immediately screwed employment-wise.

This is not limited to one or two firms - it is a widespread and perhaps even government-wide threat.

Do not believe for a second that people cannot figure out that your computer is in fact your computer and that any sort of "obfuscation" of your identity will be effective. Reliance on such claims is very foolish.

I have repeatedly caught people who have been banned on my forum and think they're "anonymous" as a consequence of surfing through a proxy or other means of obfuscation of their identity.

It is frequently possible for me to prove to a degree of certainty that I'm sure would meet at least the standards of evidence in a civil court that the machine involved in the second access is in fact the same computer that was used in the first.

I won't tell you how I do it, but I assure you that I, as a person of reasonable levels of skill in the "dark arts" of Internet processing, am able to do so.

I am absolutely certain that the spookworks folks are similarly competent should they have reason to investigate such a circumstance, and as such these threats must be taken seriously if you are, or ever contemplate, working in a position where access to classified information may be part of your job."


How scary is that? Come on now, let's all break into a chorus of ".....Land of the free...."

Oh, and for the record, I'm no longer conflicted. As the US Govt continues to manipulate and control the US media, the whistleblower is turning into a hero in the UK press. We are even finding out about Obama's kick-backs to Bermuda's politicos re the Gitmo detainees cussing

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
CrazyTexan
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 10:50:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 8/13/2010
Posts: 97
Location: United States
There are things that must remain secret. No matter what it is. As a former US Marine and a combat veteran of Iraq, it pisses me off that names of Iraqi and Afghani interpreters were released. Most of you will think that they are still Iraqis and Afghanis, but for those of us that served and worked with them on a daily basis have a profound respect for them. They became interpreters because they wanted a front row seat to change and they did so knowing that everyday their lives would be put at risk and if the enemy ever found out who they where (we never knew their real names), they or their families could be killed. We busted our asses trying to get these brave individuals asylum into our country. I now worry if my friends are still alive.
LadyX
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 11:50:32 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,827
CrazyTexan wrote:
There are things that must remain secret. No matter what it is. As a former US Marine and a combat veteran of Iraq, it pisses me off that names of Iraqi and Afghani interpreters were released. Most of you will think that they are still Iraqis and Afghanis, but for those of us that served and worked with them on a daily basis have a profound respect for them. They became interpreters because they wanted a front row seat to change and they did so knowing that everyday their lives would be put at risk and if the enemy ever found out who they where (we never knew their real names), they or their families could be killed. We busted our asses trying to get these brave individuals asylum into our country. I now worry if my friends are still alive.


I can totally see that point, CrazyTexan. I feel bad for those people. It just seems like with this issue, there is a real difference between what certain people wish would happen and what is reasonable to eliminate. In my opinion, eliminating groups like wikileaks for publishing info they receive is not worth the repercussions down the road for that precedent.

For those interested- the slippery-slope ridicule line forms to the left.
heartofdarkness
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:07:29 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/9/2009
Posts: 350
Location: Scotland
javier wrote:
I think the problem is not the people who run wikileaks, the problem is the people who fed them those reports.

We are talking about insiders, USA goverment officers who leaked those papers. They should be caught and sent to jail, and I hope they will, especially if somebody dies as a result of that leak.


sorry to say this to anybody thats on his/her high horse about this particular subject, but the US gov was offerd the chance to look over and remove any names of people put at risk by the leak. guess what happend, they declined. now to me that sounds like they eather allready knew what was in the leak or just didnt care. in the first instance that means that the gov was mearly trying to cover themselves, in the second it just goes to show what kind of people are in office.

(quote)
"On 26 November, via his lawyer Jennifer Robinson, Assange sent a letter to the US Department of State, asking for information regarding people who could be placed at "significant risk of harm" by the diplomatic cables release. Harold Koh, Legal Adviser of the Department of State, refused the proposal, stating, "We will not engage in a negotiation regarding the further release or dissemination of illegally obtained U.S. Government classified materials.""

myself
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:34:42 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
heartofdarkness wrote:
javier wrote:
I think the problem is not the people who run wikileaks, the problem is the people who fed them those reports.

We are talking about insiders, USA goverment officers who leaked those papers. They should be caught and sent to jail, and I hope they will, especially if somebody dies as a result of that leak.


sorry to say this to anybody thats on his/her high horse about this particular subject, but the US gov was offerd the chance to look over and remove any names of people put at risk by the leak. guess what happend, they declined. now to me that sounds like they eather allready knew what was in the leak or just didnt care. in the first instance that means that the gov was mearly trying to cover themselves, in the second it just goes to show what kind of people are in office.

(quote)
"On 26 November, via his lawyer Jennifer Robinson, Assange sent a letter to the US Department of State, asking for information regarding people who could be placed at "significant risk of harm" by the diplomatic cables release. Harold Koh, Legal Adviser of the Department of State, refused the proposal, stating, "We will not engage in a negotiation regarding the further release or dissemination of illegally obtained U.S. Government classified materials.""



I don't think the two parties could nor will work together on this matter. I'm thinking Julian Assange is our number one enemy at this time.dontknow Interesting.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.