Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Ethnicity vs Nationality Options · View
Rembacher
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 12:17:24 PM

LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

Probably would be the same thing Javier. In california people tattoo their area codes onto themselves. It's just numbers but it's still where you're from.

510 Bitches!

Oh wait, I'm not there any more...

214 Bitches!

214? Then who was I sexting last night? dontknow
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 2:40:59 PM

My family and my hood represent the 972!! hehehe

Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 3:44:07 PM

LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

Probably would be the same thing Javier. In california people tattoo their area codes onto themselves. It's just numbers but it's still where you're from.

510 Bitches!

214 Bitches!

shi_squared wrote:

See what you're dealing with Javier...

Woman
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 3:47:57 PM

Ahhh but then when you get to Canada???

I would never want "knob to hoe" tattooed on my arse!!!!! (And I do not think anyone else is going to get this but me... that is ALL ok!!!! Just smile and nod please!!!!)

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 3:53:34 PM

Woman wrote:

I would never want "knob to hoe" tattooed on my arse!!!!! (And I do not think anyone else is going to get this but me... that is ALL ok!!!! Just smile and nod please!!!!)

What in the hell woman? I will not nod and smile at this. Everyone else may but I will not.

Woman
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 4:02:02 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
Woman wrote:

What in the hell woman? I will not nod and smile at this. Everyone else may but I will not.

*facepalms.... You HAVE to be difficult don't you!!!!

Geeze!!!!!!!

*clears throat, changes back into her school teachers uniform.... stands at the front of the class....

See, American, has postal codes of numbers. Whereas Canada (points to the map of Canada on the board and grins like a woman in an infomercial), has a combination of letters AND numbers. Sometimes, (writes Felix is wacky on the board) Whoops!!!! that must be my spilt personality trying to get out again. I mean "2HO" for example... Yes, that could just be two hydrogens and an oxygen to those scientifically inclined, but to me who is more...er....ah......um.... well sexually inclined, I see "to hoe". Or "0G0" I used to say I lived "OOOOOOOOOO......go!!!!"

*gets out of the school teachers uniform and back into the hospital gown

See? Now Mister Personal Difficult One... are you satisfied?????

*skips away singing na na na na boo boo

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Woman
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 4:02:52 PM

*whispers... and let the record show...

I actually win awards for my teaching.... they seem to think I am really good at m job. BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!! Now that is funny!

Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 4:06:23 PM

Woman wrote:

I actually win awards for my teaching.... they seem to think I am really good at m job. BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!! Now that is funny!

Yay learnded sumting tooday!

I win awards too.. Double gold in san Francisco most recently ;)

Woman
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 5:59:25 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
Woman wrote:

Yay learnded sumting tooday!

I win awards too.. Double gold in san Francisco most recently ;)

HE CAN BE TAUGHT!!!! The world is ending!!!!!

Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:31:26 AM

eviotis wrote:
The pockets have their merits, but there needs to be more of a human world view and skip that nationalist view, but since people can't even get over their own ethnic/cultural prejudices I guess we'll have to take baby steps out of the cultural womb.

Your neighborhood is already there. To enclose yourself and not let others in is antithetical to a global view. We should just be humans.

A global view would work great if we were at war with aliens. But the fact of the matter is we're not. We're in competition with other humans, of whom identify themselves as "different." Which is why we need to narrow our scope. I understand the political correctness of waning to "let others in" but it's a lot more difficult than it sounds. If you go live in another country and experience absolutely no culture shock whatsoever, then I will be greatly impressed, and you'll have to write a book telling us your secret.

I have taken several international classes at my university and spent time learning about different cultures, as well as talking to international students who have come from all over the world. I'm far from an expert, but I have heard lots of different opinions from people that come from very different cultures. A few countries these students are from include Columbia, Pakistan, China, Austria, Holland and the list goes on.

People from different areas of the world have different views on what is acceptable and what is not acceptable behavior/conduct. This is one reason that cultures differ from place to place. It's the way you are brought up. Some more obvious things like language, religion, politics, economics and social rights (we're the land of the free for a reason, not all countries have the rights that we do in the U.S.) also play a big part on how parents raise their children.

We've also talked a lot about food so far, and things like traditions, resources and geography play an important role in developing that part of a culture as well. For example We don't eat much rice in the U.S. because we don't have the right conditions for it, but in China the wet seasons and climate provide an exceptional environment for it. Also a country like Greece with lots of islands and great access to water will obviously have a greater fishing industry than a landlocked country like Austria. Causing the foods they eat in traditional meals to vary greatly. (Try thinking hundreds of years ago before there was a global economy and we couldn't easily ship food around the world)

Ethnocentrism is defined as "belief in the intrinsic superiority of the nation, culture, or group to which one belongs, often accompanied by feelings of dislike for other groups." This has been brought up before, the thought that one person's nation is better than another person's. They are all different and we need to learn to be accepting of that. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to live your life, just different ways and different values.

Geert Hofstede is a Dutch social psychologist who is world renowned in his cross cultural research. Feel free to play around with the "Compare your home culture to your host culture" feature on his website here: http://www.geert-hofstede.com/ He has clearly defined 5 cross cultural dimensions by nation as Power Distance, Individuality, Masculinity, Uncertainty Avoidance and Long-Term Orientation. If you're curious about these, they are clearly defined on the website previously provided. He has ranked many well developed countries based on these dimensions, and grouped some countries with similar cultures such as "Arab World" where the cultures and values stay very similar even across borders. These similarities can also be found in many South American countries such as Venezuela and Columbia. His cultural dimensions are obviously not set in stone however, just because Columbia ranks low on "Individuality" does not mean that you will never find an individualistic Columbian. They are meant to be very generalized snap shots of the culture as a whole.

As for the original questions, I do not think that the development of "Little Italy" or "Chinatown" hurts anybody. Which leads me to feel that they are probably more positive than negative. They give people from their home cultures a place to identify and keep their heritage alive. Why should we have the right to take that away from them?

I personally identify myself more on the national level. My ancestors are Norwegian and German, and my family has been in the U.S. for generations. My grandfather fought for the U.S. in WWII and his father fought for the U.S. in WWI so I don't ever think of myself as "Norwegian and German" I simply think of myself as an American. I think that people tend to identify most with where they are from, or where they have spent the most time. I think it would probably be normal to identify more with your ethnicity if you were first or second generation in a new country. But really, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to identify yourself.

Apologies for the rather lengthy responseEmbarassed
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:36:40 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

510 Bitches!

214 Bitches!

shi_squared wrote:

I guess I belong to the 69 quarter...

Anyway, I guess those area codes can give trouble too. I read a piece of news a few years ago, about the complains of some residents of an area of Manhattan. Apparently their Manhattan area code was going to be changed and shared with an area of New Jersey. (or something like that, it was some technical stuff)

They thought it was an insult, they wanted a 100 per cent pure Manhattan code, I don´t know what happened eventually. Manhattan bitches...

To be continued.
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:54:56 AM

LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

510 Bitches!

214 Bitches!

510 forever. it's a state of mind, girl. tattooed on my heart.

oh, and btw... *points to Lexi's post* that's my girl! *dreamy sigh* she's got the sexiest brain drunken
Rembacher
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:02:32 AM

sprite wrote:
oh, and btw... *points to Lexi's post* that's my girl! *dreamy sigh* she's got the sexiest brain drunken

She definitely explained it better than my Cultural Studies prof did.
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:13:03 PM

I am not sure what aliens has to do with us, if anything. In fact, my point is directly centered on the fact that we are all human beings, same DNA. Allowing the differences to effect our lives, for better or worse, to me, is a man/woman made thing.

The one thing that I will always love, having lived in Miami, and spending summers is Greece (basically, the summer spot for most European's since it's so cheap, or at least was, no time to look at the Euro right now), is that it has introduced me to the fact that we are all basically the same. Yes, there are differences in language, hence why I studied French, and German through my schooling years. Living in Miami, I picked up Spanish, or at least Spanglish. If you truly listen to someone, then you can understand them, even English. Either due to the other parties efforts to learn your language/culture, or your intent to learn a different language/culture that may be similar to theirs. Why so much study on the differences and not on the similarities?

Visiting Paris for the first time, I was previously told that Parisians are rude. I found that, as long as I approached someone, in French, and once they recognized that it was an Elementary knowledge, they started speaking in English. It is all about respect, and arguably the U.S. educational system. Yes, you can also respect, revere, and hold dear your own ethnicity. I do. However, when it impedes progress with two human beings, either in simple telling of directions or an actual discussion with broken language, you can hear someone, if you listen, and not allow for those differences. As for cultural differences, the similarities in cultural backgrounds can indeed be meet with others that are land locked, and those that are more sea faring. I have had many great evenings with Jamaican's, Costa Rican's, Islanders, other seafaring cultures, Thai, as well as landlocked cultures simply due to the fact that I accept the other person's humanity. The lady's from Thailand at one party were buzzing as to my cooking, and just my way of being. And it was not a fish dish. Yes, I am humble. But there was no culture shock, it was people being people. Throughout the night, it was a discovery of how similar we are. I will not bore you with other nights amongst other cultures, but they too were incredible learning experiences. Love of music, dance, food, and being good, being human, in all instances was what it was all about.

In whatever culture you find yourself in, some people, no matter where you are, are dicks. There is good and bad in all cultures, faiths, and ethnicities. I for one, will not buy into the argument that all people that are Turkish, are not to be trusted. I will not buy into any prejudice of anyone, or any block as to how I will engage with others, no matter their cultural or ethnic origin. Except for hari Krishna's, or any zealot group, since they are all about exclusion, or inclusion, at a price. The original inception of Little-whatever's, of whatever-towns, had its usefulness, but it's time to grow and get passed it.
Woman
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:25:51 PM

AlexisDD wrote:
If you go live in another country and experience absolutely no culture shock whatsoever, then I will be greatly impressed, and you'll have to write a book telling us your secret.

Culture shock is really not all that bad to be honest if you are open and patient with your new country. The hard part to get around is the language/communication I've found in my travels.

The hardest part of it all is... reverse culture shock. I've discovered that is a zillion times worse than the minor little inconveniences of not speaking a new language fluently.

GemGeekett
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:22:38 PM

I'm of two minds here...

I am a first generation immigrant myself. While I was born and spent the early part of my childhood overseas, I identify myself as Canadian first, and Chinese (very specificly Hong Kong) second.

I'm also about 99% sure I'm in the same city as D_D. I love my city for its diversity and open minded attitude when it comes to immigrants.

I can see logic behind having a very distinct ethnic area as they provide community support and comforts. God knows, it helps my mom when we first arrived, and not that she didn't speak English. She just needed someone who understood our slightly different cultural values - everything from Banking to Swimming lessons for her kids to where to vote when election time came . And to have those people telling us that's the way it's done here in Canada helped us get intergrated, and be fully participating part of Society,

On the same note, being IN Chinatown itself gave us a sense of identity and some place it identify with, because let me tell you, it was hard enough being the new kid in school, not in the least being in a school of a different culture then me. My first halloween was when I was nine years old. To be able to be near other people who spoke the same language and see the familiar sights, it reminded us of who we are. We may have hated it at some point, but I grew to appreciate it.

In the same breath though, I never understood who I couldn't camp with my Girl Guide Troop, or stayed aftreschool for activies, or had to spend Saturday in Chinese School while other kids in my class got to go camp, stayed for volleyball or watch cartoons on Saturday mornings. I'm also of the mind that if you move to a different country, that country's social structure is to be respected. I have never understood my relatives who, having lived here for 20 years, don't speak English and never venture of out of their cultural enclave.

My 2 cents
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:34:51 PM

"I'm also of the mind that if you move to a different country, that country's social structure is to be respected."

Exactly, and further, to be equally respected. I came to Miami at age 6. I was called a retarded Cuban (due to the Mariel boat lift), I was even recommended for "special" education, since I was not assimilating. I was 6! And, I spoke Greek. Do I cast aspersions toward my host because Greece, arguably, is the cradle of democracy and western civilization? Well (opening mouth, inserting foot).

My father allowed this to affect him, and he slowly dipped into the cultural milieu. Us v. them, not to be trusted, not to be assimilated to. Our way or the highway, even though we will take advantage of this new lands opportunities. Much like the 20 years referred to above, many Latin-Americans in Miami spend or have spent a lifetime enjoying its hosts niceties, while damning it in the same breath, or using it to their own advantage, and then telling others, "Why don't you speak Spanish?"

That is not the point, and any prejudice would influence that train of thought. However, there is reverse prejudice and distrust. Why? With all that we know, with all that is available, we make our guests feel uncomfortable, at times, and we make out hosts fell like wise, sometimes.

Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:55:12 AM

sprite wrote:
510 forever. it's a state of mind, girl. tattooed on my heart.

This reminds me of something the wise philospher Mike Jones once said:

(ugh)
Represent ya hood
(represent it)
Represent ya block
(throw it up)
Represent ya spot
Know what I'm Sayin'?

(ugh)
Represent ya ward
(represent it)
Represent ya town
(throw it up)
Because it's goin' down
Know what I'm talkin' 'bout?

also another favorite lyric of his from the same song (Know What I'm Sayin'): "You wanna fuck my gal, betta get a bigga dick!"
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:47:11 PM

"It is precisely the minor differences in people who are otherwise alike that form the basis of feelings of hostility between them." --- Sigmund Freud
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:40:51 PM

eviotis wrote:
"It is precisely the minor differences in people who are otherwise alike that form the basis of feelings of hostility between them." --- Sigmund Freud

He was a genius, albeit he was also crazy icon_smile
redhotmommacita
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:34:25 AM

javier wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

510 Bitches!

214 Bitches!

shi_squared wrote:

I guess I belong to the 69 quarter...

Anyway, I guess those area codes can give trouble too. I read a piece of news a few years ago, about the complains of some residents of an area of Manhattan. Apparently their Manhattan area code was going to be changed and shared with an area of New Jersey. (or something like that, it was some technical stuff)

They thought it was an insult, they wanted a 100 per cent pure Manhattan code, I don´t know what happened eventually. Manhattan bitches...

To be continued.

Ok This thing of area codes tattooed on their bodies is a way for inmates from the prison system to let other gang members know where they are from so they have thier didgits tattooed on themselves.

Behind every strong soldier there is even a stronger woman who raised him " Proud Army Mom"

smurfette
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:54:57 PM

i'm from toronto (now in london, ontario for school)... and while i agree there are pockets of certain ethnicities, i also find that the younger generations (second and thirds) are integrating with very little trouble (with the exception of the jamaican and trinidadians...)... i'm chinese and while i do find myself spending lots of time in the chinatowns here (there are three), it doesn't detract from the fact that my friends and their friends are a huge multicultural mess! we like to refer to ourselves as the united colours of beneton... and the only type of discrimination (at least explicit) that i've faced came at the hand and disdain of certain ppl at pacific mall, which is a huge "chinese" mall in one of our chinatowns... make of that what you will...