Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do people believe in Destiny? Options · View
Jacknife
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 6:05:41 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/27/2008
Posts: 196
Location: United Kingdom
Do people here believe they are destined to fall in love with someone specific in their lives?
Sw33tAng3l
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 9:04:44 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/16/2011
Posts: 1,520
Location: Somewhere in my fantasy...
i've always thought that there is one person for everyone... and then life goes on and realized what if it that's not true and its just some fantasy i came up with? I mean, what if that person you're meant to be with is with someone else? or what if you never meet that person and you end up with someone else? how do you even know if there's that one person you're meant to be with but you never find them? your paths never cross?

lol sorry i guess i got off on a little tangent there. but my point is, as time went on and i grew up, i don't think there's such a thing as destiny.. maybe its just something to let us know we'll find someone...
DeliaStar05
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:23:19 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 11/21/2010
Posts: 11
I agree with Sw33tAng3l on this one. I always believed in destiny and thought there was one right person for everyone and when u found that person everything would be right and things. But thats not always true, u just might find the right person when u are both with somone else. That when it sucks.

*DeliaStar*
inepa
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:31:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/18/2010
Posts: 139
Location: Alotau
What is destiny without faith....and what is faith without grace....
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:18:16 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
I say no...i don't believe in destiny at all, in love or otherwise...that would be to dodge responsibility for our own lives...there is nothing predetermined..it is up to us to make the decisions that will impact our lives...as far as there being one person out there for everyone, I think that's a little silly...what if they live halfway around the world? what if the day I meet them, they're having a shitty day? that seems like you're just waiting for this perfect person to appear one day and sweep you off your feet...i live in the real world, where relationships take time and trust to develop...just my two cents.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:02:50 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
Jacknife wrote:
Do people here believe they are destined to fall in love with someone specific in their lives?



Destiny...or...Coincidence?

Destiny...especially in the matter of love...that singular one that represents the only one able complete you...Naw don't believe it.

Do you put yourself in situations that Coincidence may collide your path into someone that seems like the one...better question. Also I don't feel that there is the "one"...but rather a range of people that someone could fall head over heels in love with. So that means if you are in love with some ONE...you probably won't have yourself in situations where Coincidence matters.

And if you are waiting for Destiny to knock at your door...get moving...and begin a search by putting yourself in the kind path of Coincidence.Regaeman Man
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 11:59:10 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
I am the odd person out, besides Inepa.

I do believe in Destiny.

What has been mentioned earlier in the thread about the all-being, all-encompassing true love. That, my friend, may be only yours to experience for a short time, not a life time. But I still consider those short moments of bliss as part of the Destiny map.

That leads one to wonder about soulmates .... another interesting topic.

But, Destiny, I do believe in. I believe that there are many people I was destined to meet (and some seemingly in a coincidental way) that have formed and inspired me to be the woman I am.

The Road may Deviate, but the Goal is Absolute.

My My 2 cents worth.

Van

Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:40:51 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
I'd like to believe it's destiny, that eventually life will bring me to the person I'm meant to be with. But at the same time, I know it's also like a man praying to win the lottery, completely pointless without actually going out and buying a ticket. Destiny will only take the final steps, you have to start the journey on your own.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:27:24 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,905
Location: California
No. I don't believe in magic or Santa claus either.





Woman
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:57:45 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/21/2009
Posts: 674
Location: Stopping the war 'tween Harold and Kumar
VanGogh wrote:
I am the odd person out, besides Inepa.

I do believe in Destiny.

What has been mentioned earlier in the thread about the all-being, all-encompassing true love. That, my friend, may be only yours to experience for a short time, not a life time. But I still consider those short moments of bliss as part of the Destiny map.

That leads one to wonder about soulmates .... another interesting topic.

But, Destiny, I do believe in. I believe that there are many people I was destined to meet (and some seemingly in a coincidental way) that have formed and inspired me to be the woman I am.

The Road may Deviate, but the Goal is Absolute.

My My 2 cents worth.

Van



I agree with what you are saying.

I beleive that everyone comes into your life at a certain point; at a certain time because they are there for something specific that you need at that moment in time. That need may not always be apparent, you may not know the reason, but they are there because you made it happen.

If you choose not to open yourself (my opinion here) up to what might be from another person; be they a shop clerk, a driver, the man on the escalator, the woman of your dreams, your partner etc... you might miss the chance to be a better person.

The question about falling in love/ soul mates with a pre-determined man/woman? That is another idea all together. I do not think everything is pre-determined the moment you are conceived- or from the start of time either. I beleive that there was/is the idea of how things are to be planned out though. For example; I literally woke up one morning in the summer of 2002, and decided to quit my job, and find another. I beleive that before that day, it was known that I would be destined to make a great change in my life that would alter the rest of my days. What it was? what was that change going to be? THAT was not known. It was only known I would make a great change.

Now Magical Man.... I beleive in the joy, spirit of the season of Christmas... to me that is the same as beleiving in Santa Claus. Now the Easter Bunny on the other hand...

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Guest
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:15:25 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
Wish I could, somehow it just seems easier to blame everything crappy that happens on some higher power or a predetermined sequence of events.
Now....I'm not saying that some things don't happen for a reason, but most likely there is logic behind it. IE, until recently a friend of mine was a really huge asshat.....and I always said someone needed to beat the crap out of him and teach him a good lesson. About a week ago he DID get the crap beaten out of him, and it seems to have humbled him slightly. Now....was this change caused by destiny? or was it the fact that he was an asshole to someone bigger and better at fighting?

When it comes to love I'd like to be slightly more optimistic....but to someone who believes in making her own luck the point is kind of lost. Sure, I want my Christopher Walker or my Glenn Miller delivered to me by destiny, and I'd love to believe that every bad relationship up until the point I do meet the one person I can actually stand is just biding time but really....in that time I've learnt (a little) and most likely reached a point where I'm either happy to settle for someone who makes me laugh or have become so seriously deluded that it's really just a matter of timing and poor judgement.

BUT...I still believe that there is someone for everyone...even if that someone happens to be a puppy called Beau.
XX
BB
thepainter
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:45:42 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/23/2009
Posts: 1,353
Location: hell, Netherlands
Woman wrote:
Now the Easter Bunny on the other hand...


I already have a hornybunny74 so you guys can have the easter bunny. evil4

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
BigDaddyRich
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:49:59 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/9/2010
Posts: 668
Location: Ridge Manor, Florida, United States
Yes, I believe in destiny. I think were here to grow to our greast potential, and fulfil something great.

Well that's just my opinion, sorry if you don't like.

BigDaddyRich
AppleOfYourEye
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:03:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/19/2008
Posts: 101
Location: Pacific Ocean
I beleive in destiny, and that everything happens for a reason. I beleive you meet the people you do, when you do for a reason. Sometimes its good and sometimes its bad. However, I also beleive that you can help to form your own destiny. Think of how everything has formed who you are. If you took one experience away, would you be the same person you are today?



Apple
myself
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 3:42:17 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
We make our own destiny and get exactly what is meant for us.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 9:46:36 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
serendipity maybe, destiny...NO.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2011 11:34:49 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
eviotis wrote:
serendipity maybe, destiny...NO.


I love that word "Serendipity" .... it rolls on and off the tongue so ... lovely!

One of my running mantras has been .... "Destiny is Silent" ..... it doesn't blare it horns at the arrival of Destiny .... it just is.

Van
amber
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 3:57:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 11/24/2010
Posts: 495
Location: New Mexico
I think that some may be thinking of another word or concept besides destiny.

I have looked into a couple dictionaries and it seems the definition is a "predetermined future".

I do not like the idea of that. I cannot bring myself to believe that our actions and choices are already sketched out. It takes away any incentive to be more than we are now. It may even take away the notion of accountability.

I will say that after being here this short time and seeing and reading the vast different responses and ideas to a lot of subjects just on this site, that I think there has to be a compatible partner for nearly everyone. It just will take work, effort, willingness to take a chance and determination to find him/her.


oh and i really like that, van.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:56:58 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
Jacknife wrote:
Do people here believe they are destined to fall in love with someone specific in their lives?



I do believe in destiny. In fact, I sent yesterday an e-mail to my ex. It said "Destiny has ruled out its verdict for us: we are meant to be apart".

I am waiting for an answer...so who knows, perhaps destiny could be cheated.
CellarDoor
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:26:26 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/11/2011
Posts: 126
Location: Realityville
I think that the idea of "Destiny" is one of those things that seems to diminish when we grow up. We loose the faith and fantasies we had when we were children because the world forces us to face reality. And in reality, unfortunately, it's not all rainbows and unicorns. We don't all reach our highest potential often enough, we don't always make the best decisions, and the boy and girl who may actually be meant to be, may never come to meet.

There are so many factors to think about in our lives that contribute to our overall destiny. It's really like one big domino effect. One small decision could ultimately effect many things thereafter. I could really go on and on about this subject for quite sometime, but let me just make my point here.

Destiny is real, but it's in our own hands. The choices we make will take us on our own path. If you decide to pack your bags and move half way around the world - you have changed your destiny! We are all lucky enough to be free to make up our own minds and make choices for ourselves. The choices we make are our destiny for that moment, but that doesn't mean our destiny cannot change the next day.

Life is what WE make it, so take the bull by the horns and create your own ending! Nothing is final until we are lying in the earth....

....and even then, who knows what REALLY happens?

Fenton
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 1:57:08 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/3/2011
Posts: 297
Location: Maidenhead
I can't get my head around the concept of destiny. A preordained future means it isn't in our hands. We can't make our own if it is already planned. Why make any difficult choices if the outcome is already set? Then again making no choice is a choice itself. My head is starting to hurt. Meh. I reject destiny.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:02:00 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,289
Location: Cakeland, United States
To borrow a scripted phrase: The future's not set. There's no fate but what we make for ourselves.

'John Connor - Terminator II'

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:10:08 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,271
Location: West Coast
Jacknife wrote:
Do people here believe they are destined to fall in love with someone specific in their lives?


I actually don't think that the universe cares that much about who I fall in love with.

When we find a strong connection with someone, we tend to want to believe it's the work of something greater than chance.

The reality is that even if there are no cosmic forces steering us, we will still wander through life and find some connections that are intuitively special, and others that are altogether disastrous.




nastynate69
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:51:00 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/14/2011
Posts: 972
Location: Germany
Jacknife wrote:
Do people here believe they are destined to fall in love with someone specific in their lives?


Hell No
dan17
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 12:27:21 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/14/2011
Posts: 283
i believe in faith having someone destined for me is because i pray for it and if she is for you there is a ways to be together

mrgay
ducky69
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:20:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 446
Location: My own little world
Yes..... but you choose what path it ultimately takes.......

Rubber Ducky your the one, you make my life so much fun
thesilkyknot
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:24:49 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/23/2011
Posts: 5,520
I totally hate the concept of "destiny"....it makes me so weak and..useless... and makes me feel that whatever efforts i put ...however hard i try, this is some fucking thing called "destiny" that gets the final say..!!! what the fuckk!!!
ducky69
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:32:57 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 446
Location: My own little world
thesilkyknot wrote:
I totally hate the concept of "destiny"....it makes me so weak and..useless... and makes me feel that whatever efforts i put ...however hard i try, this is some fucking thing called "destiny" that gets the final say..!!! what the fuckk!!!



Agrees..... I thought recently if I could find our friend "Destiny" I would have serious words with it.....

Rubber Ducky your the one, you make my life so much fun
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:21:42 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
I believe in destiny....but I believe that each of us makes our own destiny.
Guest
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:19:28 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 534,753
I have always believed in Destiny.
But lately have been doubting that.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.