Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What Do Athletes Owe Their Fans? Options · View
Rembacher
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 6:30:04 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,101
Miguel Cabrera, a young superstar baseball player was recently arrested on suspicion of DUI. According to reports he took a swill of scotch straight from the bottle right in front of the officers. http://www.blippitt.com/miguel-cabrera-arrested-charged-with-dui This incident has the sports commentators in the Detroit area suggesting he is an alcoholic, and that he needs to get treatment. That part is accurate, but where they lost me was in suggesting that he owed it to the fans to get treatment for alcoholism.

What do you think? Does an athlete, or any entertainer owe it to his or her fans to have their private life in order? Or for that matter, their professional life?

In my mind, the athlete shouldn't be held to the demands of anyone but their own interest. If they decide they don't want to play anymore, they shouldn't. If they don't want to get treatment for alcoholism, they face the consequences themselves, not in concert with the fans.
SIL50
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 6:41:58 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/3/2009
Posts: 62
Location: Alabama
They really don't owe the fans anything. Except to show up and perform at their best, given ticket prices. Unfortunately it's the fans who in the end are responsible for the many steriod problems we are seeing in sports today. They want to see the long homeruns, the big guys on the field in football,world records fall in the Olympics and the blazing fast running backs. But that is a whole nuther thread.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 6:54:46 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 5,988
Location: In your dirty fantasies
In theory, entertainers, athletes and actors should feel free to smoke the bongs, have pornstars hiding in their closets, drink out of the bottle, cheat on their spouses, and party like rockstars... As long as it doesn't negatively affect the performance in whatever their chosen vocation is.

The problem is that a certain image is expected from those in the spotlight. Not just for endorsement deals, but because of how it reflects on that sports team, record label, or movie studio.

To some degree, how you live your independent life will always reflect on how your employer sees you. They care about image and investments too. That's why so many people have been called out for having drunk/inappropriate pics on their facebook by employers (if they can access them). If your employer suspects that you are an alcoholic, drug addict or you've been arrested for something, there's probably going to be repercussions, even if you're the IT guy working at IBM. Whatever your lifestyle is about, discretion is always key, no matter what your profession is.

As a fan, I have no problem with all of these "life screw ups"... we all make mistakes, and have lapses in judgment. It doesn't really affect how I see them, personally. But the reality is that if you have a profession where you have fans (and especially younger fans), you have to learn to 'play the game' and watch your step... hence, it's best to keep the hookers and blow behind closed doors, and hire a good clean-up crew that will cover up for you when required.



Guest
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:06:51 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
Cabrera has had long standing issues in his personal life with his spouse, not just alcoholism. He threw the bottle that he was drinking from in front of the cops, and from that alone says a lot about his issues, "I don't care", "I could give a fuck."

He does not owe his fans anything, everyone is human. Not apologizing for his actions, he is a confused person, who needs help figuring shit out.

DirtyMartini
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:35:13 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,724
Location: Right here on Lush Stories...
I don't know that they necessarily "owe" their fans per se, but since they are part of a team anything they do that could potentially affect their performance on the field affects the team...there may even be something in their contract that may obligate them to seek help under certain circumstances...

That's why I stick to erotic writing myself...if I get caught doing blow with a hooker, heck, I just throw it into a story and the fans are happy...

Works for me...Regaeman Man


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Jillicious
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 11:16:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,292
I'm not so sure about athletes but I do know that as far as entertainers are concerned, Lindsay Lohan still owes me a decent movie.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Just-SJ
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 11:32:08 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/31/2010
Posts: 137
They owe their fans the same as any human owes anyone. In my opinion, that includes following the law and treating others with respect.

More to the point, he owes it to himself to get treatment, whoever the hell he is.

Follow my blog! Latest post: Shake Your Bootie
She
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:42:02 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,052
Location: Europe
Owe is quite strong word, but, in this case athletes, they do need to show some good manners. Fans are not just adoults, there are children involved who doesn't need to see their idols act like shit. We all have issues and this world would be even crazier if every body would act as they are pleased, without self-controle, and adoult man should have some of that. Being 'celebrety', I assume, it is not easy to be, but they have choosen their ways, so they need to live up to that. It is not much to ask, just try to act 'normal' in public.



tubby1961
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:53:04 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/24/2010
Posts: 2,088
Location: Down Under, Australia
Over here in Aus we are forever hearing about players from the various football codes doing stupid things and some repeatedly. I think they do owe something to their fans as the young kids look up to these clowns and if it is okay for their idols to urinate in public, hit out at bystanders, rape women and so on what do the kids want to do. It seems to me that because these guys are on big money they think they can do whatever they like for they are STARS or HEROES.


"Hey, don't knock masturbation! It's sex with someone I love." Woody Allen

"I am willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never wrong." Samuel Goldwyn
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:04:19 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 795
I think athletes don't owe fans anything. They are paid to perform on the field (rink, cage, court). If they commit a crime outside the sport, then the criminal justice system should take care of it. I hate when athletes are penalized at their workplace for something that happens in their private life.

What really pisses me off is when athletes get fined for simply saying something that is deemed "offensive". I for one am sick of hearing the same drivel from athletes when interviewed. "Yeah, they are umm... a good team... and ummm, it will be a good challenge and.. ummm..."

Fuck that. I respect anyone that speaks their mind. And noone should be fined for it. I recall Sean Avery making a comment about "sloppy seconds" when referring to his ex girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert dating another hockey player. He got fined. Bullshit. Back to respectfull cookie cutter comments after that.

And people say... "It reflects poorly on the sport." If anything, it creates interest in the game.

Athletes are humans. They have the same faults and vices as the rest of us. The real fault lies in the clueless and delusional public who expect them to be morally superhuman. Awwww, your favorite football player got caught snorting coke off a hooker's ass.... :( Boo fuckin hoo. If he misses that touchdown pass then you can get pissed off. Don't bitch about what he does in his private life because it is none of your fucking business.

She
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:06:13 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,052
Location: Europe
DamonX wrote:
I think athletes don't owe fans anything. They are paid to perform on the field (rink, cage, court). If they commit a crime outside the sport, then the criminal justice system should take care of it. I hate when athletes are penalized at their workplace for something that happens in their private life.

What really pisses me off is when athletes get fined for simply saying something that is deemed "offensive". I for one am sick of hearing the same drivel from athletes when interviewed. "Yeah, they are umm... a good team... and ummm, it will be a good challenge and.. ummm..."

Fuck that. I respect anyone that speaks their mind. And noone should be fined for it. I recall Sean Avery making a comment about "sloppy seconds" when referring to his ex girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert dating another hockey player. He got fined. Bullshit. Back to respectfull cookie cutter comments after that.

And people say... "It reflects poorly on the sport." If anything, it creates interest in the game.

Athletes are humans. They have the same faults and vices as the rest of us. The real fault lies in the clueless and delusional public who expect them to be morally superhuman. Awwww, your favorite football player got caught snorting coke off a hooker's ass.... :( Boo fuckin hoo. If he misses that touchdown pass then you can get pissed off. Don't bitch about what he does in his private life because it is none of your fucking business.




I tend to agree with you Damon; people, celebrity or not should have right to speak their mind, should have right to have their one vices and faults but this is not perfect world, it is much easier to judge. Fans with slight common of sense know that supernatural doesn't exist, but when I said that athletes should have some good manners and self-controle, I say that to myself and to everyone who acts stupid and feeding us with too much informations with their behaviour, things that we really don't need to know. For public people is a bit harder than for the rest of us.
lafayettemister
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:22:13 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,343
Location: Alabama, United States
No athlete owes me anything. Except to do what is expected on him on his field of play. Do it cleanly. If he cheats, then he has hurt his athletic credibility. Nothing more. People in the spotlight are just as prone to the same pitfalls the rest of us are. No matter how much money you do or don't have, it doesn't change you the person. I don't hold them to any higher level of responsibility that I hold of anyone including myself.





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
barney
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:47:42 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 5/4/2010
Posts: 36
athletes dont owe me anything but to play their best .they can and should speak their mind but with decorum as all of us should Sean avery was way out of line dont care if he was athlete or not His kind of attitude is wrong on ice or off
Guest
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:09:20 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
A lot of team owners have a morals contract/clause for the players. There's lists of things they can and cannot do and if they sign that contract they're agreeing to abide by those rules. Therefore when they break them they get fined, benched or traded. That's how the owners try to control their behavior so that it doesn't reflect bad on the whole team as a franchise because John and Mary Doe don't want little Johnny getting the wrong message from the teams and star players that they are paying millions to. Otherwise, they may make another team their favorite and go to see them play and buy the new teams souvenirs.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:32:46 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,724
Location: Right here on Lush Stories...
chefkathleen wrote:
A lot of team owners have a morals contract/clause for the players. There's lists of things they can and cannot do and if they sign that contract they're agreeing to abide by those rules. Therefore when they break them they get fined, benched or traded.


I'm just glad they don't have anything like that here at Lush...I think a few of us might be in trouble...

Just saying...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Guest
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:33:10 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
DirtyMartini wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
A lot of team owners have a morals contract/clause for the players. There's lists of things they can and cannot do and if they sign that contract they're agreeing to abide by those rules. Therefore when they break them they get fined, benched or traded.


I'm just glad they don't have anything like that here at Lush...I think a few of us might be in trouble...

Just saying...



We do bench a few now and then. Right Alan?
SIL50
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:46:13 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/3/2009
Posts: 62
Location: Alabama
Ohh wait they do owe their fans something! They owe the kids that play the games free, and pay money to watch their heros a free autograph when they ask for it. Not making them pay $20 -$50 for it. They need to quit being pompous asses.
LadyX
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:07:23 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,678
Location: United States
I love it when regular nobodies act all indignant and claim that celebrities owe them something. Usually it's in the form of an apology when they screw up. Nobody owes anybody anything. Sports and celebrity culture- are they actually one now?- are full of such bulsh that you can't possibly expect for things like 'full effort' or 'good behavior' or 'manners' to apply anywhere close to 100 percent of the time.

I'm an Oakland Raiders fan, which is hard enough, but then had to watch Randy Moss (a wide receiver with world-class ability, for those who don't know) half-ass his way through two seasons before the team finally gave up and showed him the door. Did he 'owe' me his full effort? No, he owes me nothing, I just wish I'd seen his full ability on display. The same way that I wish I'd seen Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino show their full ability in "A Righteous Kill". But its wierd how awesome actors make shitty movies, bang prostitutes, get caught killing massive amounts of cocaine, and making fools of themselves, and nobody demands their money back. But when an athlete insults a reporter, gets drunk, carries an unlicensed weapon, or doesn't put enough effort into conditioning or practice, they get crucified by a wave of self-righteous indignant fans.

Race plays a part in that for sure. Yes, white athletes are, and have been, vilified for their misdeeds, but I detect a special relish taken on the part of fat, middle-aged white sports writers and tv/radio guys when it comes to the 'trouble' that minority athletes cause. In their eyes, everything's an outrage: They aren't respectful enough (translation: they refuse to play step and fetchit, and dance for the cats up in the luxury boxes who wouldn't help them across the street if they saw them in public and didn't know who they were), they're too flashy, they take it all for granted, they don't work hard enough, they should be ashamed of themselves. And tons of fans take those cues and cop the same attitude, which basically leaves us with a nation of fans that act like Joe Buck.

Everyone owes it to themselves to be the best they can be. If they can't find the motivation to do that for themselves, its their loss first, and everyone else's a distant second, with no claims to restitution or recourse. As much as NBA fans hate seeing their superstar mail it in as soon as his 75 million dollar guaranteed contract is signed, and NFL fans hate seeing their star linebacker charged with DWI, and MLB fans hate seeing their ace pitcher get busted for steroids after swearing up and down for a decade that he was clean, nobody owes the rest of us a damn thing when it happens.

It's as if fans expect to only get the good, and for there never to be any bad. Pissed off that you paid a ton of money and then these things happen? Lighten up. If the money's that big of a deal to you, then don't buy jerseys and tickets. You're paying for part of a culture and experience, not for a gifted athlete slave-robot to 'do his thing' for your amusement, King Cul-de-Sac. ;)

DirtyMartini
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:10:16 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,724
Location: Right here on Lush Stories...
chefkathleen wrote:



We do bench a few now and then. Right Alan?


LOL...you must be reading my status thingies lately...icon_smile

Just adds to the "outlaw" status of certain members...what's that saying about there being no such thing as bad publicity?


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Guest
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 2:04:24 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
DirtyMartini wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:



We do bench a few now and then. Right Alan?


LOL...you must be reading my status thingies lately...icon_smile

Just adds to the "outlaw" status of certain members...what's that saying about there being no such thing as bad publicity?


That's what they say. Any publicity is good publicity.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 2:22:16 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,211
Location: Cakeland, United States
Nobody owes me anything and I don't owe anyone else, jackshit.

I don't own anyone, and I'm not signing some fuckall morality waiver/contract/agreement to take employment anywhere. I made that mistake one time, very early in this most recent career and I won't be doing such again. I am the invisible IT guy @ IBM or some other fcking corporation. The employer owes me at the end of a week or the work I did for the firm, they pay me, I accept it. What I do off site is not their fucking business. I don't ask them to sign a fucking morality clause whereby I get to be reimbursed when they implement policies which I deem to be unfit for civilization. Oh, how I wish.

Is Pete Rose (arguably one of the best Major League baseball players of his era) to be banned for 'life' from inclusion into his sports Hall of Fame? Because of what he did off the ball field? Fuck no.

Is Ronald Reagan deserving of having an aircraft carrier named after him? Who the hell cares. He was a saber rattling war-monger, so...it is appropriate.

Is Charlie Sheen out of fucking control? Maybe, maybe not; but I'd still love to hang out with the guy for a year or three.

Does ZZ Top owe me the $92 I paid to see them perform a 90 minute concert in 1999, yet when they came onstage so fucking blasted on booze or drugs, they couldn't play 3 coherent songs and called it a night? Ummm, yeah...I think they owe me a free concert pass or...partial repayment of some coin. Or they can tell me to fuck off and I can respond by grabbing music of theirs I haven't paid directly for already. 'Hey, Billy Gibbons - we're even, pardner!'

Who in this life, owes you anything? When you figure that one out, you'll be happier.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Guest
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 4:42:06 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
Quote:
I am the invisible IT guy @ IBM or some other fcking corporation. The employer owes me at the end of a week or the work I did for the firm, they pay me, I accept it. What I do off site is not their fucking business.


Then can that trickle down to a pee test or random pee test? You test positive for weed/coke/booze and swear you only do it at night in your own home and never on the job? Interesting.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:44:48 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,211
Location: Cakeland, United States
chefkathleen wrote:
Quote:
I am the invisible IT guy @ IBM or some other fcking corporation. The employer owes me at the end of a week or the work I did for the firm, they pay me, I accept it. What I do off site is not their fucking business.


Then can that trickle down to a pee test or random pee test? You test positive for weed/coke/booze and swear you only do it at night in your own home and never on the job? Interesting.


Even though I currently labor inside data centers (when I do labor) I don't necessarily wish to hang around or work with inebriated people either. They tend to fuck computer scripts, hardware installations and configurations all to hell and back, heheh...

I'm not a big fan of taking those urine tests during the hiring process. And way too many of the fortune 1000 companies now require them to be submitted. But then again, I've not ingested cocaine since 1996 and it has been nearly as long since I inhaled some killer bud. I can't remember working anywhere in my life, where drinking alcohol (off site) was prohibited. I'm sure though, there are occupations (especially in the medical and transportation fields) where that is prohibited (within a 72 hour or such timeframe)?

I wouldn't want my airline pilot to be recovering from a bender and trying to fly me anywhere, nor would I appreciate smelling whiskey on my surgeon's or dentist's breath.



If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:45:51 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,211
Location: Cakeland, United States
But I don't mind if the stripper on my lap is stoned out of her gourd or chugging Zombies, either. evil4

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:51:41 PM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,724
Location: Right here on Lush Stories...
WellMadeMale wrote:


Even though I currently labor inside data centers (when I do labor) I don't necessarily wish to hang around or work with inebriated people either. They tend to fuck computer scripts, hardware installations and configurations all to hell and back, heheh...




Call it job security...actually, I think you owe them one for that...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Guest
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:07:00 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
WellMadeMale wrote:
chefkathleen wrote:
Quote:
I am the invisible IT guy @ IBM or some other fcking corporation. The employer owes me at the end of a week or the work I did for the firm, they pay me, I accept it. What I do off site is not their fucking business.


Then can that trickle down to a pee test or random pee test? You test positive for weed/coke/booze and swear you only do it at night in your own home and never on the job? Interesting.


Even though I currently labor inside data centers (when I do labor) I don't necessarily wish to hang around or work with inebriated people either. They tend to fuck computer scripts, hardware installations and configurations all to hell and back, heheh...

I'm not a big fan of taking those urine tests during the hiring process. And way too many of the fortune 1000 companies now require them to be submitted. But then again, I've not ingested cocaine since 1996 and it has been nearly as long since I inhaled some killer bud. I can't remember working anywhere in my life, where drinking alcohol (off site) was prohibited. I'm sure though, there are occupations (especially in the medical and transportation fields) where that is prohibited (within a 72 hour or such timeframe)?

I wouldn't want my airline pilot to be recovering from a bender and trying to fly me anywhere, nor would I appreciate smelling whiskey on my surgeon's or dentist's breath.



Yeah I understand what you're saying but there are places that do random drug testing also. That way the workers/employees never know it's coming.
She
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:42:15 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,052
Location: Europe
To me is this the same - offending billboard and athletes who are acting crazy in public, both are having the same result. They are offensive to the group of people.

Yes, no one is perfect, and we all have crazy moments but it is a difference between having slippery slope moments or doing something in regular intervals.

Adoults cannot always do/say whatever we are pleased and maybe Cabrera, according to the link, didn't do much to offend public, but there are athletes and celebrety who are acting crazy on ragular basis and since they are in every news, in every newspaper, I cannot choose not to see what they are doing.

But to owe something to someone, no, only to yourself.
Guest
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:04:12 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806

Many of the professional athletes belong to teams that have a Brand. That Brand carries with it, past histories - of goodwill, professional conduct, impressions, etc.

Therefore, being paid to be "a part of the team's Brand" leads me to expect an athlete to conduct him/herself in a "professional" manner, as they are paid by the "professional" team, and essentially by the fans that pay for tickets and merchandise.

Of course, mis-adventures does occur in all humans' lives. It is also human nature to be sympathetic to anyone who admits the wrongdoing, and attempts to better themselves - for themselves. We all love someone who betters themselves - that is the inspiration for our youth.

Outside of the athletes world, there are many professions that expect stellar conduct with dealings in one's professional practice and with their own private lives. Some of those Associations have defined appropriate behaviour, and should one fail at those rules, they may be disbarred or no longer to say they belong to that society.

so ... yes, my opinion is that athletes owe us to be responsible in their conduct. We seem to have so many that derail and pretty much tell the fans to fuck ourselves ..... cuz they make $M and are beholden to none. As She has stated:

Quote:
owe something to someone, no, only to yourself.


Van


irishnia
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 10:00:50 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 5/14/2008
Posts: 29
Location: Hamilton
Athletes owe it to the fans to do their jobs. They are payed to show up, play to the best of their ability and to practice. That's all. If they have serious addiction issues they only owe it to themselves, their spouses and children to get help or to act in an appropriate/professional manner.
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:34:31 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/12/2011
Posts: 538
Location: somewhere on the coast, United States
Everything!!! With what they are paid, most definitely EVERYTHING!!! Give 100%, 100% of the time and shut up!
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.