Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you rate other authors? Options · View
Guest
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 12:31:38 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,823
Here's what I don't like about people rating/critiquing something I've written. For the most past the comments are fine...most a very good BUT....there are some that post a comment and say negative thing, and they have never written anything themselves. Case in post...I posted a story not long ago, that got great reviews until one day I saw a comments that was really negative. Now I don't mind negative commetns as long as they are done in such a way as to point out a mistake, or offer something to make me a better writer that's fine...I welcome those comments. So out of curiosity I looked the person up that had made the negative comment and what I found made me laugh. Here's someone bashing my story, and they've been a member here for TWO YEARS, and yet they NEVER posted a story.....NEVER. If you're going to berate, or make comment on a story, at least have posted something yourself...otherwise keep your mouth shut.
Chibi
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:20:55 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 3/4/2011
Posts: 69
Location: In His arms..., Italy
I do rate most stories that I read, and if the story is less good, then I give a lower vote. Personally, I don't like to rate a 4 or a 5 if the story isn't worth more than 1-3...

Something I really miss on this site is honest votes and constructive criticism. As I am a writer myself, it is kind of disappointing to see every story being "really hot" or "totally amazing" as I know that's not the case. This includes my own stories.

Now, most writers here might be thrilled over the positive feedback they get, but I'm not one of them. All good reviews leaves me wondering if this site is just full of suck-ups. Think


~~ Memories Will Never Die ~~
rudyP34
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:44:37 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/27/2010
Posts: 127
Location: Canada
Chibi wrote:
I do rate most stories that I read, and if the story is less good, then I give a lower vote. Personally, I don't like to rate a 4 or a 5 if the story isn't worth more than 1-3...

Something I really miss on this site is honest votes and constructive criticism. As I am a writer myself, it is kind of disappointing to see every story being "really hot" or "totally amazing" as I know that's not the case. This includes my own stories.

Now, most writers here might be thrilled over the positive feedback they get, but I'm not one of them. All good reviews leaves me wondering if this site is just full of suck-ups. Think



It is full of suck-ups. Just look at the amount of horny guys giving great (as in positive, not honest or even constructive) comments to female authors. I've once received a private message from a guy congratulating an unnamed collaborator, because he thought she had written some parts of one of my story­. He was actually sucking up to her through me. That's very sad.

If the mods wanted to improve the site, they should make commenting mandatory on every vote, even the 4s and 5s, and authors should be asked to flag comments when they aren't constructive criticism. Voting on stories, as it is, is a joke.
rudyP34
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 11:54:54 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/27/2010
Posts: 127
Location: Canada
Or... last idea: make the author of the story anonymous, until it has been voted and commented on.
Ddbill
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 12:01:30 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 3/26/2011
Posts: 21
Location: Houston
rudyP34 wrote:
Chibi wrote:
I do rate most stories that I read, and if the story is less good, then I give a lower vote. Personally, I don't like to rate a 4 or a 5 if the story isn't worth more than 1-3...

Something I really miss on this site is honest votes and constructive criticism. As I am a writer myself, it is kind of disappointing to see every story being "really hot" or "totally amazing" as I know that's not the case. This includes my own stories.

Now, most writers here might be thrilled over the positive feedback they get, but I'm not one of them. All good reviews leaves me wondering if this site is just full of suck-ups. Think



It is full of suck-ups. Just look at the amount of horny guys giving great (as in positive, not honest or even constructive) comments to female authors. I've once received a private message from a guy congratulating an unnamed collaborator, because he thought she had written some parts of one of my story­. He was actually sucking up to her through me. That's very sad.

If the mods wanted to improve the site, they should make commenting mandatory on every vote, even the 4s and 5s, and authors should be asked to flag comments when they aren't constructive criticism. Voting on stories, as it is, is a joke.


As it is, your very right. But you also have to look at where your at right now. Lush is filled with lustful and horny people. Male and female alike. When they introduced the site as an "Erotic stories and Adult social network" site, they invited all the people who couldnt give two shits about any story so long as it had sex. Ive seen stories posted on here with bad grammar, no plots, and from start to finish, nothing but sex. So its actually in high hopes of which will never be given to think that you would get any useful criticism from anyone on this site.

As for me, no, i dont rate, nor do i comment on other stories often due to the fact it means diddly squat on here. :) I go to other sites for constructive criticism and useful voteings.
rudyP34
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:14:20 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/27/2010
Posts: 127
Location: Canada
Ddbill wrote:
rudyP34 wrote:
Chibi wrote:
I do rate most stories that I read, and if the story is less good, then I give a lower vote. Personally, I don't like to rate a 4 or a 5 if the story isn't worth more than 1-3...

Something I really miss on this site is honest votes and constructive criticism. As I am a writer myself, it is kind of disappointing to see every story being "really hot" or "totally amazing" as I know that's not the case. This includes my own stories.

Now, most writers here might be thrilled over the positive feedback they get, but I'm not one of them. All good reviews leaves me wondering if this site is just full of suck-ups. Think



It is full of suck-ups. Just look at the amount of horny guys giving great (as in positive, not honest or even constructive) comments to female authors. I've once received a private message from a guy congratulating an unnamed collaborator, because he thought she had written some parts of one of my story­. He was actually sucking up to her through me. That's very sad.

If the mods wanted to improve the site, they should make commenting mandatory on every vote, even the 4s and 5s, and authors should be asked to flag comments when they aren't constructive criticism. Voting on stories, as it is, is a joke.


As it is, your very right. But you also have to look at where your at right now. Lush is filled with lustful and horny people. Male and female alike. When they introduced the site as an "Erotic stories and Adult social network" site, they invited all the people who couldnt give two shits about any story so long as it had sex. Ive seen stories posted on here with bad grammar, no plots, and from start to finish, nothing but sex. So its actually in high hopes of which will never be given to think that you would get any useful criticism from anyone on this site.

As for me, no, i dont rate, nor do i comment on other stories often due to the fact it means diddly squat on here. :) I go to other sites for constructive criticism and useful voteings.



I'd agree, if it weren't for the fact that some people take it seriously, when your comment is even only slightly negative. Either you care or you don't. If you care, the voting process should represent more. If you don't care, then why have a voting system at all? I don't see how literary integrity and social networking can't coexist. Give more credibility to the stories, give more credibility to the members, and this site reaches a whole new level. Of course, that's probably not in anyone's plan. All that matters is getting hits, not delivering a good reading product.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 4:07:16 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,823
I always rate the stories I read on here.
GirlyWorld
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:36:35 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/27/2010
Posts: 112
Location: Paris
Thanks to everybody for all your very insightful replies!

Now that I have a bit more experience, I'm seeing many of the issues debated here. I must say I am a bit of a sensitive bunny, and therefore it takes me great amounts of patience not to lash out at the injustices of the publishing controls and voting system, and to just 'suck up' the fact that there are some people more interested in popularity than providing quality content. Having said that, I also think that there are only a limited number of ways in which to manipluate the 'system' (no I didn't try :-)).

I'm hoping that in the end, mass popularity wins over individual bickering, infighting, and rallying "friends".

Emily.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:45:36 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,823
If I read a story I will rate it. There are authors that have some great stories and not so great stories, like myself. If it is a first time writer i will rate the story no less than 3, mostly 4's, because he took the time to write it and put it out there. I will send a private message to them hoping to help them. It is all in the way you put it.
Your story is SHIT! or I liked the premise of your story but maybe..... then thank them for writing. As writers we live and die by scores and comments. You can tell a constructive comment from just meanness. I am not here to be critical but to enjoy the stories and talents of any one who gives it a shot.
Let me give an example: I wrote a second part to a story, I thought it was good, it stayed on lush for 4 days. In that 4 days 127 people looked at it, but not one comment and not one score. I finally took it off to work on it, it would have been nice if someone would have said something so I would know how to correct it. Next time I will ask a friend to read it and give me an honest opinion.
clum
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:32:44 PM

Rank: Clumeleon

Joined: 5/13/2011
Posts: 4,636
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
hwillnow wrote:
Your story is SHIT! or I liked the premise of your story but maybe..... then thank them for writing. As writers we live and die by scores and comments. You can tell a constructive comment from just meanness. I am not here to be critical but to enjoy the stories and talents of any one who gives it a shot.


I love when people give comments on my stories, positive or negative, but I do wish some of them were a little bit more constructive. One time someone simply commented, "Stupid". I sent them a message to ask if they could possibly elaborate so that I may be able to improve but I never received a response. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but that was just downright rude.

I have been known to leave some pretty generic positive comments - credit where credit is due without nitpicking on minor imperfections. If ever I am critical, I try to say something that I hope will be of some use to them.

In response to the original question: I am both a writer and a reader on this site and so I feel free to rate any story. If anything, having other writers rate your stories can sometimes (not always) be better because they may be able to pass on some handy tips.

A restaurant-goer may know the soup is not good but may not be able to tell the chef how it could be improved.

Every day is a school day.
Jingle
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:41:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/8/2011
Posts: 164
Location: In my favourite blankey.
clum wrote:

A restaurant-goer may know the soup is not good but may not be able to tell the chef how it could be improved.


I find in cases like that, where I know something is wrong but I can't tell you what it is, it's best to point it out anyways with a statement like 'something about this didn't feel right'. It's left up to the author to find out why - maybe it will trigger something and they'll notice something about that particular place in the writing that isn't quite working.

I really wish people would give me constructive comments on my stories. I promise I won't blow up. ;) Hell, any constructive criticism is better than my own inner critic. What I honestly want is to give people what they want to read, and I can't do that if they don't tell me what they want to read. :(



nicola
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:52:41 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,563
Location: The Orgasmatron
rudyP34 wrote:
If the mods wanted to improve the site, they should make commenting mandatory on every vote, even the 4s and 5s, and authors should be asked to flag comments when they aren't constructive criticism. Voting on stories, as it is, is a joke.


I own this site, and rather take offence at your tone.

You obviously have no clue whatsoever how a site like this works.

It is hard enough getting people to vote, let alone leave a comment on a story.

We tried forcing people to give reasons for their score. You know what happened? The number of votes on stories decreased.

I am going to do away with the requirement to leave a comment for scores of 3 and under. It's a joke. People who may have given a story a 3, see they are being forced to give a reason, and then either don't bother, or they give the story a 4. It artificially creates higher ratings for mediocre stories, the way it is set up.

nicola
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:57:09 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,563
Location: The Orgasmatron
rudyP34 wrote:
I'd agree, if it weren't for the fact that some people take it seriously, when your comment is even only slightly negative. Either you care or you don't. If you care, the voting process should represent more. If you don't care, then why have a voting system at all? I don't see how literary integrity and social networking can't coexist. Give more credibility to the stories, give more credibility to the members, and this site reaches a whole new level. Of course, that's probably not in anyone's plan. All that matters is getting hits, not delivering a good reading product.


We take the whole voting / commenting / quality standards on here very seriously. It has been discussed to death, as to how best to set it up.

Every story is read by an experienced moderator before hitting the site. Stories which would warrant a 1, have practically disappeared. We toss dozens of stories back to authors on a daily basis, suggesting improvements.

"Give more credibility to the stories, give more credibility to the members" - I don't get what you mean. How would you go about it, force people to comment on every vote they give? Each story would end up with a couple of votes.

If you have some constructive comments to make, I'd be delighted to read them and take them on board.
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:02:25 AM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,563
Location: The Orgasmatron
Ddbill wrote:
As for me, no, i dont rate, nor do i comment on other stories often due to the fact it means diddly squat on here. :) I go to other sites for constructive criticism and useful voteings.


You do? Where?

You are criticising this site, yet you can't even string a coherent sentence together in the forums here. laughing9
clum
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:50:50 AM

Rank: Clumeleon

Joined: 5/13/2011
Posts: 4,636
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
You tell 'em, Nicola. :)

Every day is a school day.
Mister_E
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 5:27:36 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 3/15/2011
Posts: 8
Location: United Kingdom
I'd like more feedback on my stories. I try to vote / comment on everything I read as I feel that authors do appreciate the comments and encouragement made. Sometime I PM someone with particualr suggested improvements, however.

I do feel somewhat disappointed by the lack of response from my readers. For instance I've had 5000+ people viewing a story (good); 20 voting and 3 comments.

If you equate that to a concert with an audience of 5000 then
- some of them will have given up halfway through (as they got bored; frustrated with the grammar; found that the subject matter wasn't to their liking) but at least they took a look at who was performing
- of the (say) 2000 people left (i.e. those who finished the story); 20 people are clapping / stamping their feet / showing some reaction
- BUT only 3 are shouting 'Encore' or booing i.e. voicing a reaction to the performance. I realise that only members are allowed to post comments, so that cuts down the likelihood of comments being made.

I've had one quote "Gave it a 3: avg". What does that mean? I discovered, he was a newcomer and had never publlished anything on Lush.

So I'm afraid that without forcing people to vote we're stuck with the current system BUT it is a good outlet for all the budding authors and gives everyone the opportunity to read a whole variety of styles, genres and writing qualities. Perhaps some, like me, are then encouraged to give it a go and write something themselves.

I do agree, however, that forcing a comment on a '3' rated story is unnecessary.
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:32:58 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 202
Location: United States
I have to say, I never rate anything under a 4 because people who write mediocre (or downright bad) stories tend to take offense at criticism (in general). I would be worried about getting endless negative messages or retaliatory bad ratings on my stories. So, I end up only voting on stories I like.

I think making the voting (even 3's) anonymous would be great. At least one would get more honest ratings, if lower ones all around.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

flytoomuch
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:32:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/24/2011
Posts: 242
Location: Fremont, United States
Well anyone who has done very much in the area of consumer surveys will know how hard it is to get people to offer feedback without offering them an incentive to do so. This is simply a fact of life. It is disheartening for many authors to not get much feedback, but it is also unrealistic to expect more than we currently have on Lush. For myself I tend to only comment on stories I have really enjoyed with a view to encouraging the authors I really like. Usually I know fairly quickly if a story has not grabbed my attention and I move on without any vote or comment. I have made friends with some of the other authors I enjoy which is also nice. I do send a personal message when I feel a story is exceptional, again because I know how hard they have worked on it and want to acknowledge their hard work. "Forcing" people to do anything on the internet or in life will not work as they will just leave and ignore the story or the site.
Boss01
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:46:30 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 5/19/2011
Posts: 87
While I haven't been on this site for long, it is obvious that the people, members or otherwise, who regularly visit are on this site for different reasons. Thus, it would be expected, since the rating system has few parameters, that the ratings and comments from readers would reflect what the particular reader got out of the story, often regardless of what the author hoped they would beacuse, similarly, the various authors write what they submit for different reasons. I write first for myself, then for the readers kind enough to read and express an interest in whatever they just read. The rest takes care of itself.

Writing quality explicit material for nearly one one-hundreth of a century.
Guest
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:21:21 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,823
I vote on almost every story I read because I want people to do the same for my stories. However, since I tend to be selective in the stories I do read I rarely rate anything under a 4. Before I read a story I look at someone's profile and try to judge how creative and smart they are. This is guesswork of course but I have gotten pretty good at it.

As for comments I rarely do that. If I have something to say about the author's style good or bad I will usually message them.
NOLANCMike
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:23:39 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 6/20/2011
Posts: 37
I love getting comments from other authors. I rate (almost) every story and comment on some of them. I tend to rate 4 or 5 or not at all. That's changing since I published my first story. There's a little too much work and emotion that's put in the crafting of a good story not to give good honest feedback. I've gotten a few PM from authors with excellent sugestions. I definently appreiciate those.
ArtMan
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 7:06:30 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/29/2011
Posts: 640
Location: South Florida, United States
I am not going to insult someone else's story or writing nor give them a cheap bad score. If I comment and vote I like the story, if not I move on to another one.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

rudyP34
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:35:15 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/27/2010
Posts: 127
Location: Canada
nicola wrote:
rudyP34 wrote:
I'd agree, if it weren't for the fact that some people take it seriously, when your comment is even only slightly negative. Either you care or you don't. If you care, the voting process should represent more. If you don't care, then why have a voting system at all? I don't see how literary integrity and social networking can't coexist. Give more credibility to the stories, give more credibility to the members, and this site reaches a whole new level. Of course, that's probably not in anyone's plan. All that matters is getting hits, not delivering a good reading product.


We take the whole voting / commenting / quality standards on here very seriously. It has been discussed to death, as to how best to set it up.

Every story is read by an experienced moderator before hitting the site. Stories which would warrant a 1, have practically disappeared. We toss dozens of stories back to authors on a daily basis, suggesting improvements.

"Give more credibility to the stories, give more credibility to the members" - I don't get what you mean. How would you go about it, force people to comment on every vote they give? Each story would end up with a couple of votes.

If you have some constructive comments to make, I'd be delighted to read them and take them on board.



I'm sorry about my comments, I realize it didn't take into account the hard work of the few on here that make the site work for a lot of people. I'm fully aware of what it takes to run a site like this, especially with the volume of stories being submitted and published every day. I understand that my opinion on the voting system was rather insensitive and rude.

Let me just say this, then: the ratings are merely an ego boost. They don't represent a whole lot. There are stories with good scores that are clearly worse than some of the gems that can be found on here. I would eliminate the votes and comments, and just leave a box that says "Leave a comment to the author". A private message, in essence. Not something left to the public eye. Something private. You want constructive criticism? There. People would probably be more open to discuss a story's weaknesses if they didn't read all the other comments saying "Amazing story! Super hawt! I'm so hard right now! More more more!". These pointless comments are the standard, and people rarely deviate from that. It's sad, but even on the internet people are victims to peer pressure.

I don't mean to be negative and arrogant. I came off as such, because... well, I don't know... maybe I am arrogant at times, not that I should be. I re-read my stories the other day, and they shouldn't even be published. So, maybe I'm more humble right now. But really, I didn't mean to berate the work you guys put in this site. I hope you can see the constructive side to what I'm trying to say. If not, then blame english as a second language for the gaps in communication. ;)
JENnRASP
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:10:37 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 8/5/2011
Posts: 5
I had given all this ratings a deep thought. There are so many factors, reasons and judgement of different readers. Points system are always subjected to abuse. Not everyone is a responsible voter. And the standard of every voter is different.

Would prefer if the score are based on total score rather than average score. Coz average score will always pull your score down the moment someone hit you down.

An example: [Not referring to this site]: There were cases like the readers commented: I hate gay story or I dislike mature story, therefore score you a 1pts!

Can you imagine how unfair it was. And he went on to give the same score to lots of stories in those gene, even the best written ones! That shows how he gave pts... sad


May I just propose this system:

There will be four choices. Favourite, Like, neutral, no comments

Favourite: 2pts
Like: 1pts
Neutral: 0pts
No comments: minus 0.5pts

The pts will be added together. So whoever get the most pts will be top. The more readers voted on your story, the higher chance of your story scoring higher unless your story was so poor that everyone gave you a 'no comments' score. If your story is good and interesting, it tends to gather more voters. But if is not well written, chances are most ppl will skip and not finish reading it and hence, did not vote or gave u a 'no comments' score.

Some readers would like to vote and give you a 'neutral' score as he may feel your story is only passable but at the same time, it did not pull down or add on anything to your present score.

Note that I put "no comments" rather than "dislike" as the later words may be too strong or offending to some authors.

Feel this way is better than based on average score. As sometimes when you are getting many perfect score of 5 and one person came around and give u a '4' and down you go drastically. Not that he does not like your story. He does! In fact, some even put in the comments: Fantastic story, love it and follow but gave u only a four? Coz he or she may be new and does not know much about it or some will never gave a 5 no matter what.

My 2cents worth........My 2 cents

Gramps
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:48:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/15/2007
Posts: 316
Location: Sun Coast, United States
I vote on every story that I read through to the end, and leave a comment on most of those stories. Yes, every story posted has an author, including my story, so I do not view my voting as rating an author but rather as an opinion on how the story affected me. We probably all know an outstanding author who may sometimes share a story that does not move us--on this particular story a low score is not meant as punative toward the author.

I wish that Lush would create a better scoring mechanism. There are many stories that "fit" an acceptable level that are not any better than the run-of-the-mill erotic posting. These stories are, in my opinion, "average" or a score of 3. Now, if I score it a 3, the Lush bells ring and a message appears implying I'm horrible for saying a posting is just ok.

Often, especially when I see real potential, I will send private messages to authors of stories I read to tell them what most affected me--positive as well as negative. I really enjoy speaking with authors and I encourage them to critique my writing.

Let's keep on writing!


Gramps

The quiet and always horny old guy in Sunny Florida USA
nicola
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:12:29 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 25,563
Location: The Orgasmatron
Well said Gramps.

The comments required on voting is going to be removed when we port the site over to the new server (hopefully in a month or so). It biases scores upwards if you force people to comment on lower scores.

People will still be accountable / trackable, they need to be a member to vote low.
Eeyore123
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:15:23 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/20/2010
Posts: 1,355
Location: United States
Thank YOU so much... I hated having to state why .. when it just didint hit my mood at the time.. later it might have


Mister_E
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:07:41 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 3/15/2011
Posts: 8
Location: United Kingdom
Glad to hear that the voting system is changing. I too try to vote / comment / PM on all stories I complete. I sometimes feel pedantic but hope that my comments are constructive rather than destructive criticism. I appreciate feedback on my stories and think most other authors feel the same.
dirtysweatywhore
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:40:57 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 8/18/2011
Posts: 20
If you factor in the 80/20 rule/theory, then I would think that only 20% of the comments and votes are coming from a place of sincerity and genuine intererst in a story. What would be interesting to see is 2 voting options that cater to the respective voter types. As well, rather than the "poor-excellent" scale, provide a built-in comment.

For example, the 80% group may primarily be the non-contributing, looking to get their rocks off, shit-disturbing type who do not have the ability to even attach one descriptive word to their vote - not to mention too many choice causes confusion. Help them out and keep it simple.
3-Excellent/Great... means to them...loved it, got me heated, more/more
2-Good/Fine... means to them... kept me interested, would read another from this author
1-Okay... means to them...didn't finish reading, skipped to find another story

And for the 20% who appear to be genuinely invested in this site, seems like also keeping it simple may be of help since it sounds like most have adopted a three point scale already.
3-Excellent/Great... means to them... well done, interesting story, creatively scribed, etc
2-Good/Fine... means to them... not bad work, shows promise, needs tweaking, etc
1-Okay... means to them... got bored, needed more, etc

As for comments; I appreciate them. In fact it was comments that I read on other stories that I kept tucked in the back of my mind as I began to write my first erotic story only last week. I am someone who has always been encouraged to write, yet never had before coming to Lush. It has done wonders for my ego and simulateously crushed me as both comments and # of readers dropped as the story continued, when I thought I was developing a pretty decent story. No question I have a lot to learn about how to improve my style, and consider subject matter... and that will likely only come from the 20% group. So to those of you who commented... thank you kindly.

Overall I have had only a few comments, but would appreciate them all, good or bad. I do not know the difficulties in creating or altering the current systems. What I do know is that as a rookie scribe I have found myself affected by all aspects of the data provided. If I was bothered by one, I would hope I could take it on the chin, look a little further and consider the source.

And to answer the original question... since I have come to appreciate the value of votes/comments, I do, based on the same criteria that many have already stated. Mostly I try to show appreciation for the efforts an author has made.
stephanie
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:19:51 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 4,886
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland


I think the system works fine as it is...

As a writer, I welcome ANY votes and particularly comments on my work... The fact that people bother to vote and comment encourages me to write more and, frankly, boosts both my ego and my confidence... It's kinda like applause to a performer, I feel...

I have, of course, received some querying comments, some negative comments and some low votes. I tend to try and address these comments in that section. I think people that bother to post an opinion deserve a response.

As a Reader, I most often comment on stories that appeal. Mostly I try to explain why I particulary liked the story. With stories I don't like, am not engrossed by, I don't bother... If a story I like has elements I think might be improved upon I POLITELY suggest the area in which I think the Author might improve the story.

Finally, I think that the interaction between Writers/Other writers and Readers at LUSH is a vital part of what keeps me involved. My time at LUSH has definitely made me a better writer, through both reading and digesting the work of other Writers and by listening to the comments others make about my own work.

xx SF

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.