Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Not really sure how to categorize this one. Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 3:01:15 PM

Quote:
Navy SEAL U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Jon T. Tumilson was among the 30 American troops killed August 6 when Taliban insurgents downed their Chinook helicopter with a rocket-propelled grenade. At his funeral in Iowa, his dog Hawkeye paid his last respects by walking up to the casket, laying down in front of it, and heaving a sigh.

Quote:
The dog of slain Petty Officer Jon Tumilson refused to leave his side during the Navy SEAL’s funeral earlier this week in Rockford, Iowa. The heartbreaking photo taken by his cousin, Lisa Pembleton, shows Tumilson’s dog Hawkeye lying by the casket.

Heartbreaking, if you're the kind of person that likes dogs, as I am.

Kornpopper
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 3:56:20 PM

I saw this on msn and it's just heartbreaking. I'm sure his family felt the same way the dog did.

In my opinion we shouldn't even be over there. This is being called the war on freedom yet it costs so many lives. It's sad that our government sees our lives as expendible so long as they make the almighty dollar or have better relations with another country. Those people have been fighting for thousands of years and it's not going to stop now. This just shows how little regard is held for human life. Freedom is free but certain people don't want us to have it. Those are the people who should be killed, not innocent service members.

The decisions we make dictate the life we have.
Follow your dreams, for those that do not will only try to discourage others.
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 4:24:45 PM

My vet told me years ago that animals mourn just like people do. Some how he must understand of some level that his master is in there.

*either that or he's just tired* (just kidding)
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 5:23:01 PM

I saw this on another site. Very sweet... and sad. I'm definitely a dog person and this story touched my heart.
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 7:07:24 PM

me too...so sweet, so touching. :)
Jingle
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:05:06 PM

Heart-wrenching. sad7

Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:10:43 PM

Is heart wrenching. And too bad the guys served in Vietnam never got this type of coverage though and they went and fought a war and on return weren't treated like they are now! And still are fighting to get their benefits that they are owed.

He who has served with me and shed blood with me shall ALWAYS be my Brother!
Some Gave and Some Gave ALL!
GreenEyes2
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:27:09 PM

Shotgun011 wrote:
Is heart wrenching too bad the guys served in Vietnam never got this type of coverage though

I agree with your statement. Vietnam Vets weren't given the time of day and deserve more respect than they have been given and are shown. More often than not younger people see "older" people as slow. They want them out of the way and won't give the "older" folk the time of day. Too bad they weren't instilled with values and morals. Always respect your elders.

Something to keep in mind is the information era we now live in. This generation craves instant gratification and they live with a need to know everything and anything. Not everyone takes into consideration that Vets fought for freedom first and foremost. It's great that soldiers in this day and age are recognized, but why not recognize everyone from then and now? *shrugs*

It is truly amazing how animals react to changes in their lives, just like humans do. Just because animals can't "talk" to us in human language, doesn't mean they don't have feelings and aren't sensitive.

Lest We Forget.......

"Trying to find something in my head is like watching an episode of Hoarders!"
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:41:24 PM

Kornpopper wrote:
I saw this on msn and it's just heartbreaking. I'm sure his family felt the same way the dog did.

In my opinion we shouldn't even be over there. This is being called the war on freedom yet it costs so many lives. It's sad that our government sees our lives as expendible so long as they make the almighty dollar or have better relations with another country. Those people have been fighting for thousands of years and it's not going to stop now. This just shows how little regard is held for human life. Freedom is free but certain people don't want us to have it. Those are the people who should be killed, not innocent service members.

And as one who has served I agree and remember we are the ones who have borne the battle and placed our lives on hold knowing that some of us might not return
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:54:21 PM

Yes the above is heart wrenching and yet the media focus is on that and not the other photo that was posted in the Minneapolis Star Tribune of what the photographer thought was an awesome view in the National Cemetary. That a Bald Eagle would sit and perch its self in the National Cemetary as if watching over all of those who had fallen in the service to the country one early morning.

Lest we Forget,......ALL Came and some Gave and Some Gave ALL!
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:10:48 PM

War is said to be a continuation of politics by other means, so send the damn politicians to fight wars like this.

Our troops should be used to protect our countries, not fight other countries battles. I signed on to protect my country,
not to fight drug growers etc, under rules that limit effectivness and without the equipment needed, so the fat and overpaid
poloticains can say that THEY are doing what's needed, and saving money.

Bring the troops home, close the border around the Afgans etc, and let them fight it out.

This is how troops should come home, not carried in a box.

And someone hug that dog for me please.
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:29:52 PM

And someone hug that dog for me please.[/quote]

Second the motion
ArtMan
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:55:27 PM

A true salute to U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Jon T. Tumilson.

Unbelievable wonderful thing with his dog!!! Very touching!

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx