Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Women's Only Gyms. Discrimination, or not? Options · View
Rembacher
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:36:16 PM

This is inspired by the girl scouts thread, and I don't believe we've touched on it before.

Are "Women's Only" gyms a form of discrimination? http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=b01a603a-ce18-4cea-9ffe-fd66b819cae1&k=36708 This is a case where a gay Montreal man made a point to sue Curves fitness for discrimination, admittedly in part, as retaliation for a woman who sued after being thrown out of a male-only gay bar.

So, is this discrimination? If not, why has the law not ruled the same way for men's recreational facilities? One of the arguments mentioned in the article is that they are catering to overweight women who are not comfortable working out in front of men who may judge them. But couldn't the case also be made for overweight, and also underweight men? Aren't they judged in comparison to the body ideals of society as well?

What say you lush, and why?

*I have no knowledge of how or if this case was decided, though given it was filed in 2007, it most likely has been decided already.
ShyDreaming
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:02:43 PM

Sometimes it's not so much about protection as it is about religious practicality. I know sounds odd, but hang on with me. I don't know the reason behind the women-only gym in question but, for example, where I live there are two such gyms and a great percentage of their clientelle is composed by muslim women. So picture this: running the treadmill with an ankle long dress and a veil that's held in place with pin-needles: is not exactly a party even if you don't trip after the first two minutes and crack your head on the control board. . This type of gyms are the only places where these women can actually get things done, because they're among women so they can lose the veil and put on a pair of skiny running pants without worring about who sees them or what not. Again, I'm not saying that all women-only gyms have as purpose religion.
And from the point of view of the some of my non-muslim friends who have joined one of those gym for proximity reasons: it's apparently a breath of fresh air not to see the gym instructor sport a woody while he's supposebly "helping you" work your core.

rxtales
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:00:11 AM

ShyDreaming wrote:
Sometimes it's not so much about protection as it is about religious practicality. I know sounds odd, but hang on with me. I don't know the reason behind the women-only gym in question but, for example, where I live there are two such gyms and a great percentage of their clientelle is composed by muslim women. So picture this: running the treadmill with an ankle long dress and a veil that's held in place with pin-needles: is not exactly a party even if you don't trip after the first two minutes and crack your head on the control board. . This type of gyms are the only places where these women can actually get things done, because they're among women so they can lose the veil and put on a pair of skiny running pants without worring about who sees them or what not. Again, I'm not saying that all women-only gyms have as purpose religion.
And from the point of view of the some of my non-muslim friends who have joined one of those gym for proximity reasons: it's apparently a breath of fresh air not to see the gym instructor sport a woody while he's supposebly "helping you" work your core.

That was the point I was going to bring up. I used to swim at pool that would have women only nights. This was mostly done because there was a very large muslim population in the area.

I don´t really care what gender of people are in my gym. I really go there just to exercise. If there were men only gyms, or jewish only gyms, or gay only gyms, I wouldn´t really be that fussed. There are plently of male and female gyms around.
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:09:36 AM

Have you ever walked into a gym where the dudes are all over the free weights section leering at you?Places where you feel so self concious that you can`t even enjoy your gym session. If your arguement is true then barbers are sexist too. And there are men only gyms/ boxing clubs too. The gyms are providing a service to a certain demographic. There is woman only car insurance too. If you think about it financially they are really just limiting the varitety of clients and thus cash inflow by not allowing other demographics in. So no I don`t think they are being sexist.
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 5:34:53 AM

i was a Curves member for years. and i think its just fine for it to be women only. there are lotsss of men only things in this country and really i prefer to work out where i am not going to get ogled.

where to draw the line tho....? i would like to see Augusta National open its course and club to women. all women colleges might be taking it a bit far. but really i dont see a line. as Nudie said...its the choice of the business owner. and he/she will see if they can be a success turning away half the population.
Buz
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 5:43:03 AM

It is okay discriminating against someone depending upon who it is. It is not right but that is just the way it is.

Laws against discrimination are a crock of shit carried out for some but not for others.

Then again in a free world should not private groups have their own private clubs/organizations? I think so if you are to truly have freedom and liberty.

Having said that I will say that womens only gyms do not bother me at all. I feel that they should have that right!

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 6:42:35 AM

Yes, discrimination. There are forms of "acceptable" discrimination going on everyday all over the world. Let the women have Curves For Women. Let the men have Augusta National. If Curves was the only workout facility in the world and they banned men, then it would be unfair. If Augusta National were the only golf course in the world and they banned women, then it would be a problem. Any man can workout in nearly every other gym around. Any woman can play golf at nearly every other course around. And since both are private businesses, they should be allowed to pick their desired clientele.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
simplehonesty
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 8:10:26 AM

I spent $1156 to get a life time membership to a gym because of the hot girls that were in there working out. When I came to workout, I was told guys get it alternate days, and I ended up with fat old naked guys in the sweat room. I ended up with more tears then sweat that day.
Nikki703
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 9:51:46 AM

simplehonesty wrote:
I spent $1156 to get a life time membership to a gym because of the hot girls that were in there working out. When I came to workout, I was told guys get it alternate days, and I ended up with fat old naked guys in the sweat room. I ended up with more tears then sweat that day.

Thats what happens when you let the little head think for the big head!! You should have checked it out first.

I think "women only" gyms are fine. I belong to a co-ed gym but hate it sometimes when some muscle bound idiot is constantly leering when I am just trying to work out. It is one thing if it happens in a club, but I am there to work out and not get picked up.

The same would apply to a men only gym too.
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:19:30 PM

I say YES to women only gyms! It is nice to work out and sweat without someone ogling your every move.

If some guy feels like it is discrimination just go have a cry and buy your own Kleenex!

And I have no problem with Augusta National either. It is a private club on private property.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 2:52:37 PM

Perfectly acceptable discrimination, under the circumstances.
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 7:33:31 PM

I don't see any problem with this.
Everyone deserves a space to feel secure.
I'm sure there is a huge market for this.
Here in Brasil there is a Franchise Chain offering exactly this kind of reality.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
latinfoxy
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 9:22:36 PM

Why do we as a society feel the need to label everything as discrimination? i feel that every time someone decide to make a new innovating product, they have to think and re think am i excluding someone? is someones feelings getting hurt? am i leaving some group behind? the truth is you are always leaving someone behind not EVERYTHING has to be for EVERYONE.

If you invent a product that is only for pregnant woman, are you discriminating not pregnant women or man because they cant get pregnant? NO it means that your product has an specific group of buyers, it doesnt mean you are planning an anti none pregnant people campaign.

Thank God we all have different needs and like different things, think how boring life would be if we didnt! but if we keep suing ppl for thinking on specific genders instead of how to please everyone thats exactly were we are going to end up being.

Jack_42
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:13:11 AM

As long as there are men only gyms then the the idea of women only gyms doesn't bother me atall. However I feel that going to any gym sounds pretentious. If you need to exercise you can do it at home for free - not pay out money for silly machines and designer exercise clothing etc. I suspect that there is a degree of exhibitionism and fashion (which is definitely pretentious) in this orgy of exercise in public (although I would consider playing a sport a more acceptable public form of exercise (not that I play sport) :)) Most people who over exercise seem to keel over at an early age. As for the idea of being ogled which a lot of writers mention; surely that would apply to gay members of eithor gender - is it ok to be ogled by the same sex - is that not equally offensive? Though there again someone might be flattered; it's nice to be fancied no matter what gender is doing the fancying (even though I feel mainly straight). In other words it's practically impossible to be politically correct - I am probably crossing the boundaries at this very moment and offending all those who get in their environment spoiling vehicles to drive to the gym to do the exercise lacking from driving around instead of walking.
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:54:28 PM

Non discriminatory. In fact, a gym filled with attractive hard bodies who aren't being creeped out by leering pervs with frail bodies and jaundiced skin can only increase the chances of a hedonistic orgy throw down. As long as there are no gender specific restrictions with regards to employment (tall and fit, sexually skilled alpha males encouraged to apply as "trainers"), this should cause no problem.
rxtales
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 1:00:11 AM

Manny8 wrote:
Non discriminatory. In fact, a gym filled with attractive hard bodies who aren't being creeped out by leering pervs with frail bodies and jaundiced skin can only increase the chances of a hedonistic orgy throw down. As long as there are no gender specific restrictions with regards to employment (tall and fit, sexually skilled alpha males encouraged to apply as "trainers"), this should cause no problem.

The women only gym near my house only employees women to work on the gym floor. I think they have some male administrators. Like I said in a previous post, it´s partly because of a large muslim population in my area
mercianknight
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 6:10:17 AM

LadyX wrote:
Perfectly acceptable discrimination, under the circumstances.

Perfectly and succinctly said. If only common sense actually governed the world what a happy place it would be. coffee

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
SlutySara
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 2:23:30 PM

I go to Total Women's gym and I agree with Lady x that it is perfectly acceptable discrimination. Its a place i can go and workout and not have the distraction of men around me and the whole gym is catered toward women. Better machines for women, better classes, and an awesome shower and steam room.
If men wanted to create there own gym im sure no one would oppose it.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:26:23 PM

I'm totally in favour of Women Only Gyms, Bars, Theatre Nights, AA meetings.... Whatever you like.....

It's a big world...... If ANY group of people feel they need to have a private space, then let 'em.....

(Except Golf Clubs, funnily enough.... I hate the idea of Men Only golf clubs...... But luckily I don't play golf so it doesn't keep me awake at night......)

xx SF

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
d-jami100893
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:02:46 PM

Nikki703 wrote:
simplehonesty wrote:

Thats what happens when you let the little head think for the big head!! You should have checked it out first.

I think "women only" gyms are fine. I belong to a co-ed gym but hate it sometimes when some muscle bound idiot is constantly leering when I am just trying to work out. It is one thing if it happens in a club, but I am there to work out and not get picked up.

The same would apply to a men only gym too.

not to be mean but its not just men that leer, i go to the gym quite often in its really embarrasing as i see women watching me and it makes me paranoid. but i understand where your coming from. the only example i can give is watching somebody eat. some people just cant eat if your watching them and it creeps them out.

the way i see it there are 3 types of people that go to the gym (reguardless of gender) theres those who go to lose weight, theres the gym monkeys that think the wider the arms the sexier you are, and the people in the middle that go just to keep fit and healthy (moi)

so just to sum up, being surrounded by gym addicts that laugh at me because im not as big as them, and women staring at me making me paranoid. i HATE the gym.
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:39:38 PM

I need to stay fit for my job and I go to the gym from 5am- 6am most mornings. I do simple stuff like cardio and some weights, occasionally I will swim. There have been numerous occasions when I have stared down a guy who is shamelessly hitting on a woman who is running or doing something else in skin tight gym clothes. Men can be such pigs and every time I have intervened I have only done so when either the woman was visibly uncomfortable in the situation or the flirting was so over the top I became uncomfortable. Just about every time the women involved thanked me. One time she yelled at me, I guess she thought she didn't need my help. A few times the guys involved have said stuff like: You Wanna Go Bro?! and I simply took my badge out of the cup holder in front of me and continued lifting or running or whatever with the juice head moving on and leaving the woman involved and myself alone.

So yeah, after that long winded story, I think women only gyms are a perfectly legitimate form of discrimination/ segregation.
Archadia
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:30:08 AM

To be honest, yes i am in favor of women only gyms. Ive been a regular gym member in the past at a few different places. As much as i love checking out the eye candy in the gym, it often just serves as a distraction, and im sure women feel the same about guys.

There may not be many official "men only" gyms, but believe me there are more than enough gyms designed for men, to the point where it serves no realistic purpose for women. There are, what i call "meat head" gyms, where the all the guys are pumped full of steriods, with heavy duty wieghts and machinary, with little or no cardio sections (which are usually the most popular section with women). Roid head gyms are totally impractical for 98% of women. The wieghts are too heavy, its dominated by grunting blokes with massive "guns" and pecks and whatever else, and few machines that a woman could comfortably operate (and they will get hogged by the blokes alot of the time too), as well as very few treadmills and bikes (As ive said, cardio is usually the biggest part of a womans workout). Most women would probably feel extremely out of place, and uncomfortable in that environment anyway. So there are more than enough male orientated gyms, thus i have no issues with female gyms.
Michael
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:44:06 AM

The girl thrown out of a gay bar is still free to go to other bars.
And the man can choose between many gyms.

People sue for money.
It is a rarity if they actually suffered from the claimed injustice.

But as long as lawyers make their money and the "victims" receive a settlement, lawsuits like these will continue.

The victims and lawyers should be required to pay damages to our legal system for frivolous lawsuits, perhaps then we might see less of these lawsuits.

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:43:58 PM

Jebru wrote:
This is inspired by the girl scouts thread, and I don't believe we've touched on it before.

Are "Women's Only" gyms a form of discrimination? http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=b01a603a-ce18-4cea-9ffe-fd66b819cae1&k=36708 This is a case where a gay Montreal man made a point to sue Curves fitness for discrimination, admittedly in part, as retaliation for a woman who sued after being thrown out of a male-only gay bar.

So, is this discrimination? If not, why has the law not ruled the same way for men's recreational facilities? One of the arguments mentioned in the article is that they are catering to overweight women who are not comfortable working out in front of men who may judge them. But couldn't the case also be made for overweight, and also underweight men? Aren't they judged in comparison to the body ideals of society as well?

What say you lush, and why?

*I have no knowledge of how or if this case was decided, though given it was filed in 2007, it most likely has been decided already.

This reminded me of something from a while ago... Jebru, didn't you post once on here how a friend of yours was watching a girl stretch in a co-ed gym once and he walked up to her and challenged her to a splits competition? I think its that kind of shit that some guys pull that makes women want to exercise in a male free environment. She might have found it cool or charming.... But most women would be creeped I think.

allnight
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 11:31:09 AM

speaking of which!!! im tired of gender specific bathrooms! and dorm rooms for that matter! the gay/straight alliances and the homosexual movement are pushing for equality. i think its bull that 2 people (genders) with the possible intent on fucking each other should either; be able to or not able to live/pee together, across the board. if we are going to put gender barriers up then lets fucking put them up uniformly, or lets fucking take them all down!!!
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 5:00:58 PM

uh huh. I don't want some strange guy in the bathroom with me when I pee.
lafayettemister
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 7:33:07 AM

chefkathleen wrote:
uh huh. I don't want some strange guy in the bathroom with me when I pee.

Define strange? I'm not a stranger but maybe I am strange. Does that disqualify me? What if something happens and you need a hand? I'd only be there to support you as a friend in your time of need.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 11:27:16 AM

Yes I go to a regular gym, at school, but I also take specific workout classes in a small women's only gym and it is very refreshing to be able to workout without being given the eyes the whistles and the blatant stare downs.
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 11:30:42 AM

thebaer wrote:
Yes I go to a regular gym, at school, but I also take specific workout classes in a small women's only gym and it is very refreshing to be able to workout without being given the eyes the whistles and the blatant stare downs.

I would hope that no-one would actually wolf whistle at you in the gym.. That's pretty out of order and not the done thing...
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 11:39:05 AM

Mazza wrote:

I would hope that no-one would actually wolf whistle at you in the gym.. That's pretty out of order and not the done thing...

On would hope right? but college boys can be so immature when they see a nice rack in a tank top LOL. I've told them to knock it the fuck off when it happens, but it doesn't stop the next guy. Mostly though, I should clarify, Its the long stares and the approving nods.