Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Dealing with a police officer. Options · View
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 9:20:07 AM

If a police officer asks your passport, and then, when he is holding it and looking at it he asks "what's your name?", could you say "can´t you read?"

I mean, he's obviosly suggesting there's something wrong with your passport or ID card, otherwise why would he ask your name if he's got your passport on his hands?

Could you say "look, I just gave you my passport, so I identified myself, if that's not enough for you, and you want me to say aloud my own name, then screw you"?

Or what if he asks you to open your bags, could you just put the bag on the floor and say "YOU open it, it is you the one who wants to check it, right? then you open it"?

I am not talking of not accepting the authority of a police officer, just drawing the line between a legit police inquiry and police harrasment based on personal prejudices of the cop.

What you think?
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 10:00:07 AM

I don't think asking your name is harrassment. He may just want to hear your voice to detect any signs of intoxication or drug use or many other verbal cues. If he asks, "what's your name, dickhead?" Maybe you'd have something.

If I were a cop and someone had a bag that i wanted to look in, I think having them open it would be the safest thing to do. For one, I wouldn't want to take my eyes off someone to focus on opening a bag. With my attention diverted that person could get the jump on me. So the other option would be to handcuff you and then search your bag.

Attitude for no reason will just make the ordeal last longer and make you look suspicious. Do what you gotta do and get on with your life.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
TexasSon
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 11:48:13 AM

Your scenario is too simple... I mean, maybe he just wants you to pronounce your name so he has it correctly. I do that all the time at the bar. It's more habit than the times I'm actually unsure of how to pronounce their name.

The bag scenario? Who cares who opens it? I dunno the exact legality here, but maybe there's something to it if he were to just "invade your privacy" by grabbing your bag and opening it himself. I'm pretty THAT'D piss you right the fuck off!

Here's the real deal though:

Why even get so bent about the small things like that? Who cares? Harassment? Seriously? Don't be so fragile.

Honestly, with the way you posed your possible retorts to the officer - sounds like YOU'RE the one wanting to see just how much of a dickhead you can be, just for the sake of being one.

rxtales
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 11:51:39 AM

Is this a cop that is asking for your passport? Or an immigration officer?
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 1:13:48 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
If he asks, "what's your name, dickhead?" Maybe you'd have something.

When I went through a severe insomnia filled few weeks I was stuck up late watching crappy TV...namely those cop shows; I was amazed to see the amount of insults etc the police were allowed to throw at the people they were/weren't dealing with (ie. friends of the people they were arresting, difficult passers by etc), I was baffled as to how that was allowed. dontknow
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 3:12:39 PM

caraculo wrote:
If a police officer asks your passport, and then, when he is holding it and looking at it he asks "what's your name?", could you say "can´t you read?"

I mean, he's obviosly suggesting there's something wrong with your passport or ID card, otherwise why would he ask your name if he's got your passport on his hands?

Could you say "look, I just gave you my passport, so I identified myself, if that's not enough for you, and you want me to say aloud my own name, then screw you"?

Or what if he asks you to open your bags, could you just put the bag on the floor and say "YOU open it, it is you the one who wants to check it, right? then you open it"?

I am not talking of not accepting the authority of a police officer, just drawing the line between a legit police inquiry and police harrasment based on personal prejudices of the cop.

What you think?

He asks for your name just as lafayettemister said, to listen for signs of impairment. Also people have been know to "borrow" other peoples passport/ID and don't even really know the name that is on it.
As for the bags, again LM nailed it. I wouldn't turn my back on anyone or take my eyes off of them if I had them stopped or detained for any reason. If he suspects anything not "normal" in your bag, he is within his right to ask you to open it.

Do you travel weekly/daily? Does this happen to you a lot? If so, I'd ask myself what I'm doing to set off alarm bells in cops or TSA agents or ICE agents minds.
MMonroe
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 3:59:40 PM

Why wouldnt you just be a normal decent person and comply with procedure to get it over and done with? I too watch the police programmes and the amount of people that kick off when asked a normal question amazes me.

A bit of calm and patience and it can all be over with so quickly but people insist on making it harder for themselves.

*Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?*

Jack_42
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 5:45:36 PM

I think the scenario painted was fairly mild and the easiest thing is to comply with the police. However I've noticed that the police nowadays, and this seems to be world-wide, all have a shaven skull football hooligan look to them (along with their weapon belt but at least minus a gun in the UK) that is quite disconcerting, as apposed to the kind of cops you could ask the time and directions off. Maybe I was naive or something but I felt I could ask a policeman for these small services in the past but nowadays I would try and avoid them as they now seem to exude an aura of public control rather than that of public servants.
LilHause
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 7:22:47 PM

2 Months ago my wife of 27 yrs and I were stopped For running a stop sign. The Officer came to my window and after I gave him proof of ins and drivers license, He claimed he smelled marajauna on me and in the truck! witch was imposable since we hadn't had or smoked any in weeks. But it gave him an excuse to search us and the truck and found a pain pill and a straw. arrested us both so far cost 3000.00 and still going. So if they are crooked and don't go by the rules they can do damn neer what ever the hell the want and theres not a damn thing you can do about it!!!!!!!!
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 10:50:32 PM

caraculo wrote:

What you think?

I'm the daughter of a police officer, the reason they ask you about your name is to make sure that it is actually you. Sometimes thieves will take things like passports, photo ids etc, they will change the picture and such and they will keep the name. But the thing is a lot of them don't actually memorize the name (especially if they have a few different passports or ids). So they want you to verify what they are reading. Police Officers aren't the only ones who do that, they ask you to verify your information for a lot of things.

Normally they don't ask you to open your bags, normally they will just look in your bag.
sprite
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 11:01:32 PM

from personal experience, i have discovered that it is best to be nice and respectful to someone who can make or break your night. in fact, i have gotten out of some pretty hairy situations with a lot of 'yes, sirs' and 'no, sirs' and 'thank you, sirs'. really, if you want to do that whole 'no, you pick the bag off the floor' bit, go ahead, but really, i think you'll end up regretting it if you piss off a cop. trust me, they can find reasons to waste your time for a lot longer than you'd like at best. that's just good advice.
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 3:39:29 AM

Well, I just presented a light version of what really happened a few years ago. I was traveling from Spain to Holland by train, it was sort of pleasure trip. Then at the border Spain-France I had to switch trains, and was a bit lost so approached a cop to ask him the right way, and as soon he saw me he looked like "red code-red core-all units- we got a suspect here", like if I was the son of Pablo Escobar.

Then instead of answering my question, he proceded to interrogate me. He asked my ID, then asked me to say my name aloud, and questions like "where are you going", "what are you going to do there", "how much money are you carrying", "what you do for a living", "show me your ticket", etc. Then followed a search of my pockets, baggage, etc.

Now, there's a thing called Shengen Area in Europe, which gives citizens the right of free pass through any European border, you just need a valid ID to do that.

That incident happened in 2000, just a few years after the Shengen Area agreement, so I wasn´t really sure of my rights. In short: he had no right to do all that questioning.

Of course I answered politely any single question, and at the end he allowed me to carry on, like if he was doing me a great favor, but on the back of my mind I wondered "does this guy have the right to do this? Could´t I just tell him to get lost?"

I mean, you should be prepared to swallow some crap when you are crossing a border, especially if the cop thinks you are some sort of border-jumper illegal alien, but what happens if you dont feel like it?

In fact I got planned a short trip by train to Perpignan , (a few hours from Barcelona on the French side), and got all the answers ready:

-What's your name?
-James Bond.
-What you do for a living?
-Part time astronaut during the week and bullfighter on weekends.
-You want to get arrested?
-You mean free food and bed for a couple of days at the expense of the French taxpayers? Hell yes!

rxtales
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:06:47 AM

It´s never worth messing around. They´re easy enough questions to answer anyways.

I have a british and an american passport. Whenever I go to the states, I use my US passport and usually get questioned. When I go to the UK I use my british passport, and again usually get questioned.

They are usually easy enough to answer but one time I was flying from Mexico to Ecuador and transiting in Miami, I wasn´t even leaving the airport, I got all sorts of weird questions. They started asking me where my parents were born (easy enough) then began asking me when my grandparents were born, what towns they were born in, what date they got married. I know most of that stuff about my parents, but my grandparents?

I was 18 at the time, and the woman asked me why I wasn´t in university, and if my parents knew I was travelling. Then she asked me why I was travelling, and why I wasn´t working. It got to the point where she was asking me absolutely ridiculous questions.

I still answered them as politely as I could.
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:10:24 AM

for the most part i just smile and let them play with their little power trip. and its not because i am a submissive person but really ive found it just goes faster. besides its fun to disarm a blustery cop with nothing but a smile...it reminds me where the true power lies;)
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:21:05 AM

It's a pity that the situation you landed in sucked. I am an ex cop and would advise to always comply, they can really mess up a good day. I am a "security consultant" and have delt with local police in many countries, often just happen to find the worst of the bunch, but on the most parts, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, gets you on your way without waisting to much time.
mercianknight
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:35:43 AM

LittleMissBitch wrote:
for the most part i just smile and let them play with their little power trip. and its not because i am a submissive person but really ive found it just goes faster. besides its fun to disarm a blustery cop with nothing but a smile...it reminds me where the true power lies;)

All of the above are great answers, but just gotta love LMB's attitude. When she's right, she's right. thumbup

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:47:46 AM

There is no police harassment in asking your name as the officer is probably just attempting to verify that it actually is your passport. It is their job to provide security!

Now when they tie you naked to a bottomless chair under a bright light, smack your nuts with a sock full of coins and stick a cattle prod up your ass and zap you with electricity it begins to become slightly perturbing and might constitute police harassment depending whether or not it is a hot sexy female cop. Either it is harassment or you just hit the jackpot.

Sword Fight

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:20:27 AM

I wrote this series on here ;).... thats how I deal with the boys (and girls) in blue...
stephanie
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:50:30 PM

sprite wrote:
from personal experience, i have discovered that it is best to be nice and respectful to someone who can make or break your night. in fact, i have gotten out of some pretty hairy situations with a lot of 'yes, sirs' and 'no, sirs' and 'thank you, sirs'. really, if you want to do that whole 'no, you pick the bag off the floor' bit, go ahead, but really, i think you'll end up regretting it if you piss off a cop. trust me, they can find reasons to waste your time for a lot longer than you'd like at best. that's just good advice.

I love her...... She's always right and she's obviously been (almost) arrested...... Did I mention I love her???

(You can't win with cops...... If you're dirty, be cool and they might not notice..... If you're clean be cool and happy in the knowledge that they'll let you walk....)

My VERY best friend is a senior drug cop...... He knows who I am and we are really very close..... I NEVER put him in a situation that would compromise him..... That's just good manners...... And Cops LOVE good manners..... (They see it so rarely......)

Some of us take a 'relaxed' idea of what is or isn't legal..... Cops don't have that luxury.... I've always found that being respectful to the Man can pay dividends.....

If you've decided to break the law then you've already made the decision to accept the possible consequences..... (Or you SHOULD have thought that far ahead....)

Though not all Police are perfect human specimens, MOST do a difficult job well..... ANYTHING you can do to make their job easier will go better for you......

xx SF

"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
kaotik1
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:47:45 AM

caraculo wrote:

What you think?

first off cops already have a hard enough job as it is. I use to be just like you, hating the cops each and every time they stopped me. I've found out that if you give a little respect they are less likely to scrutinize you to deeply.

1- Just because a cop is asking you what your name is, doesn't mean he is harassing you. he is making sure that you are who you appear to be, at least on paper. that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the passport. They could also be checking for drugs or alcohol on your person by smelling while you talk. they are looking for eye contact to see if you might be hiding something or nervous about something.

2- now the bag issue, you are correct. you can sit the bag on the ground but just back away from the bag to show the officer that you aren't a threat.

3- if you want to be technical all a cop has to have is a probable cause and takes it from there. example jay walking. now you just gave them the right to stop you and get as much information about you as possible. if they smell weed per say that is probable cause to search you.

Just let it go.
ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:13:09 PM

The policeman has every right to ask that. Just be courteous and polite and answer their questions truthfully and respectfully and in nearly all cases they will treat you the same. It is the police job to check such things out. They are working to keep everyone safe.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx