Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Congress is about to strip away more of your rights Options · View
nataschaslut
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:25:38 PM

On 11/16, Congress holds hearings on the first American Internet censorship system.
This bill can pass. If it does the Internet and free speech will never be the same.
Join all of us on the 16th to stop this bill.

americancensorship.org

Send this info to as many of your friends as you can. this cannot be allowed to pass

they have facebook and twitter links on the site above. do every thing you can to pass this along to as many people as you can

"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular" - Adlai E. Stevenson
nicola
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:40:48 PM

They must be out of their minds thinking this bill will pass.

It breaks the first amendment for starters!

I signed up regardless.

http://americancensorship.org/
beowulf69
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:52:55 PM

I am going to email my US Congressman and 2 US Senators right away and voice my outrage at this attempt at censorship.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
nataschaslut
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:51:17 PM

opencongress.org

Here's a good website to help keep track of what congress is doing and to voice your opinion to your elected officials. It also gives you access to all the bills that are being introduced.
Knowledge is power

"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular" - Adlai E. Stevenson
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:23:11 AM

This violates the first amendment, how stupid are they to think this will actually pass?
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:22:10 AM

I thought one of the bills was about protecting threats to economic creativity and theft of intellectual property.
nataschaslut
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:20:38 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
I thought one of the bills was about protecting threats to economic creativity and theft of intellectual property.

It is, and you know what the bill allows for? The complete take down of that website with out any due process. Any website can be taken down for simply claiming it violated one of those 2 things. If some one doesn't like something you post or feels that it is threatening in some manner the WHOLE website can be taken down on the basis of a complaint.

This is the first step to regulating the internet

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:34:21 PM

Here's a good synopsis of what the bill is supposed to do, and why people are jumpy about what might also happen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/opinion/firewall-law-could-infringe-on-free-speech.html

The legislation — the Protect IP Act, which has been introduced in the Senate, and a House version known as the Stop Online Piracy Act — have an impressive array of well-financed backers, including the United States Chamber of Commerce, the Motion Picture Association of America, the American Federation of Musicians, the Directors Guild of America, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and the Screen Actors Guild. The bills aim not to censor political or religious speech as China does, but to protect American intellectual property. Alarm at the infringement of creative works through the Internet is justifiable. The solutions offered by the legislation, however, threaten to inflict collateral damage on democratic discourse and dissent both at home and around the world.

The bills would empower the attorney general to create a blacklist of sites to be blocked by Internet service providers, search engines, payment providers and advertising networks, all without a court hearing or a trial. The House version goes further, allowing private companies to sue service providers for even briefly and unknowingly hosting content that infringes on copyright — a sharp change from current law, which protects the service providers from civil liability if they remove the problematic content immediately upon notification. The intention is not the same as China’s Great Firewall, a nationwide system of Web censorship, but the practical effect could be similar.
nataschaslut
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:19:28 PM

Thank you ladyx for posting the link and description. That's a very clear and concise description of the bill.

Just a personal note and my opinion but bills like this are usually either written by or with the help of million dollar lobbying firms, the consequences of a bill like this just don't happen by accident, there are people in power who do not like the fact that they have to abide by the constitution, they simply want to shut down any dissenting voice, and this would be a first step.

nicola
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:39:10 PM

It's quite ridiculous if you think about it.

What would be stopping someone submitting copyright protected work to here, or any other stories site, deliberately, with the aim of getting them shut down? It would be a very easy way to remove competing websites if that were the case.

It simply can't be allowed to pass.

If something like that ever did go through, I'd re-register and host the site outside the US, it's as simple as that.
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:38:12 PM

how did this get as far as the news? it should have been shredded by the first person to pick it up!
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:39:19 PM

I hope all US citizens on Lush contact their congressman and let their feelings known about this bill. They really do keep up with all of that. They are all about getting re-elected.
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:02:36 PM

Fuckers, sorry, first thing that came into mind.

ArtMan
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:26:19 PM

I have already fired off an irate letter and an email to my congressman about this bill. Please do the same. I may write a letter to the editor of my local newspaper also. This bill is an attack on our freedom of speech.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

kaotik1
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:38:51 PM

great were heading towards china. what is this good world coming too.. a bunch of people that is power hungry. If we wanted to be told what to do and how to do it, WE would go to CHURCH. i hope i just didn't offend people because that wasn't my intent.. im just saying..

Just let it go.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:22:17 AM

This is what happens when government becomes to large and encompassing. It needs to be reduced to the bare minimum.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
— Thomas Jefferson

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:56:32 AM

Google boss: anti-piracy laws would be disaster for free speech
Quote:

"If there is a law that requires DNSs [domain name systems, the protocol that allows users to connect to websites] to do X and it's passed by both houses of congress and signed by the president of the United States and we disagree with it then we would still fight it," he added. "If it's a request the answer is we wouldn't do it, if it's a discussion we wouldn't do it."

Quote:

"I would be very, very careful if I were a government about arbitrarily [implementing] simple solutions to complex problems," he said. "So, 'let's whack off the DNS'. Okay, that seems like an appealing solution but it sets a very bad precedent because now another country will say 'I don't like free speech so I'll whack off all those DNSs' – that country would be China.

"It doesn't seem right. I would be very, very careful about that stuff. If [the UK government] do it the wrong way it could have disastrous precedent setting in other areas."

Seems we've got as many deep pockets fighting against this bill as for it...

nataschaslut
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:54:28 AM

-------------------------------------- UPDATE ---------------------------

Want a window into the minds of our opponents? Former Senator Chris Dodd -- head of the Motion Picture Association of America -- says that China censors its Internet, so we can too:

"When the Chinese told Google that they had to block sites or they couldn't do [business] in their country, they managed to figure out how to block sites."

These are the voices our lawmakers listen to. If we're going to win, we need to drown them out before TOMORROW's committee vote on SOPA.

First, and most importantly, please click here to make a call or send an email -- it'll really only take a couple of minutes.

Even if you've called already, call again. Today is that important. The House Judiciary Committee will likely pass the Stop Online Piracy Act tomorrow, and once the bill moves out of committee, the House can pass it at any time. We could be just days away from seeing internet censorship pass in the House.

Second, urge your friends and family to call Congress today.

keoloke
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:37:05 PM

Everyone wants to get their hands on the net. Can you imagine if they succeed? Instantly they are in your home, in your workplace and in your mind.. Offering what you have to buy, what you have to think or how you have to act.
However because of censorship, security issues and the such.. They can circumvent laws and actually really do it.

Lobbyists are going nuts trying to get possession of natural supplements since they cannot put a patent on it. If they cannot do it they will make it outlaw.. Hey it’s been done already. Stevia a natural as sugar cane sweetener it can only be sold with a warning and they cannot say that it’s like sugar (a food) but it is.. It’s actually better since you need less and it has no calories. It’s from a leaf and it was outlawed in the US.

Practice Happiness, it is a choice

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is not much needed.
keoloke
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:42:14 PM

If you would like to read.. this is regarding the post above

Practice Happiness, it is a choice

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is not much needed.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:26:09 AM

NDAA 2012 and SOPA: Do They Target the Tea Party and Wall Street Movements?

The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2012 and the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA) seem to be two sides of the same coin.

Both pieces of legislation are, apparently, aimed at eliminating any kind of attack or even the possibility of an attack on the U.S. government and its corporate allies, a statement made by the government themselves.

Essentially, the former is viewed as an anti-terrorist law and the latter an anti-piracy tool.

The problem is that both proposed laws provide lawmakers and authorities with unhealthy amounts of power to make those decisions, potentially leaving American citizens at the mercy of military authorities.

Does "anti-government" also mean "anti-American"?

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.