Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Famous Story Requirement? Options · View
Buz
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 6:38:26 AM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,185
Location: Atlanta, United States
Did the Famous Story requirement raise up to 100,00 from 30,000?

I had thought it was originally 30,00 and I noticed that most members listed with this badge do not have any story even close to 100,000 views but do have stories with over 30,000.

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

sprite
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:45:24 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,716
Location: My Tower, United States
omg, just as i was finally getting close to 30,000 it changed? *sighs* even my incest stories don't get that kind of viewership... and that means that in order to get a badge, you have to be read by more people then are actually ON lush, am i right?
gav
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:46:48 PM

Rank: Code Monkey

Joined: 12/25/2006
Posts: 1,208
Location: Syd, Australia
You two are very astute!

When I was activating the badge generation for V2, I revised some of the requirements. With the sites increasing popularity, getting 30k views is really quite easy. I increaed this to 100k. This wont effect people who currently have the badge.
Guest
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:52:43 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806

oh great .... well, that's a badge I'll never obtain ..... Pint Drunk
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:53:07 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,343
Location: Alabama, United States
Hahaha. My seven stories don't have 30k combined views. FAIL!!!!





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
sprite
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:55:22 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,716
Location: My Tower, United States
gav wrote:
You two are very astute!

When I was activating the badge generation for V2, I revised some of the requirements. With the sites increasing popularity, getting 30k views is really quite easy. I increaed this to 100k. This wont effect people who currently have the badge.


ummm... ok... if you say so... *sighs*
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:57:46 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,568
Location: California
lafayettemister wrote:
Hahaha. My seven stories don't have 30k combined views. FAIL!!!!


They should have an "almost famous" badge for us!



nicola
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:07:19 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 24,908
Location: Sydney, Australia
Great movie!

sprite
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:08:24 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,716
Location: My Tower, United States
the only movie Kate Hudson did that is actually good! :D
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:09:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,343
Location: Alabama, United States
Magical_felix wrote:
lafayettemister wrote:
Hahaha. My seven stories don't have 30k combined views. FAIL!!!!


They should have an "almost famous" badge for us!


Does Kate Hudson, Fairuza Balk, and Anna Paquin come with the "almost famous" badge? If so, sign me up!





When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:26:06 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 5,988
Location: In your dirty fantasies
Just thinking out loud but maybe it should be 100,000 views for incest stories and 60,000 views for non-incest stories to get the Famous Badge now.

I just did a quick glance at the most viewed stories in the most popular story categories and unless I'm reading the stats wrong, at the moment there is only one story on the site that would actually qualify for the Famous Badge that is non-incest... and even that story is about a mom/daughter threesome. LOL


Guest
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 1:46:59 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
Mostly, the Incest and Taboo stories get higher votes/rating here.
nicola
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 2:41:38 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 24,908
Location: Sydney, Australia
A 2 tier system might be better. I've asked Gav how many 50K view stories we have.
sprite
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 6:30:00 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,716
Location: My Tower, United States
Ok, i am totally in danger of coming off like a pissy bitch here, and i don't mean to be. That said, looking thru the most viewed stories for anything at 50k or above, it's still super rare to find anything that doesn't fall under the category of incest. pretty much, if someone is really interested in getting a famous story tag (and i'll be honest there, it would mean a lot to me, i try not to make a big deal about it, but yeah, i have an ego too) they'd pretty much have to - HAVE to - write a father-daughter incest story.

i mean, it really doesn't matter if you write something amazing, if you write the best straight sex or bdsm story ever written, it's just not going to hit even 50k. i thought 30k was a great target for proving a story is popular - 50k is pretty much out of reach, however, for even the best of the best here unless they write incest/taboo. i am not sure how to make it fair, i mean, i have suggestions, but i also don't want to create a system where the mods and site managers have to do loads and loads of extra work to figure out what makes a story famous in one category compared with another. perhaps the solution is for anyone who really craves that badge to post a father-daughter incest story and move on. not really sure. i mean, its tricky, i admit.

So, i'm going to let this go, i got it out of my system for now, or so i hope. i love this site, i write exclusively for it, and i don't plan on stopping. it's the best free story site that i've found for a writer, at least for me, and i think most of us will agree. not trying to make a stink about it, but it just does seem a little unfair, at least as i see things. ok, time to get back to writing stories. :)
Guest
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 7:45:35 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
sprite wrote:
.
i mean, it really doesn't matter if you write something amazing, if you write the best straight sex or bdsm story ever written, it's just not going to hit even 50k. i thought 30k was a great target for proving a story is popular - 50k is pretty much out of reach, however, for even the best of the best here unless they write incest/taboo.


I think Sprite make a VERY valid point. Most of us that write non-incest are thrilled to make it to 5k, 10k, 15k ....... and to get to the old famous mark of 30k, may take years. It's not like there are huge amounts of Famous Stories out there yet ... and they don't hit that often.

Thanks Sprite for putting this into words for me!

*hugs*
gav
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:04:00 PM

Rank: Code Monkey

Joined: 12/25/2006
Posts: 1,208
Location: Syd, Australia
I've just lowered the requirement for this badge to a more reasonable 50,000. I think you'll find as the site gets more popular, these famous story badges will become more widespread.

@Sprite If you're in the market for some contraband story views, meet me in the pub. I have a friend of a friend who's trying to off load some.
TantricDrummer
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:50:40 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 10/24/2011
Posts: 9
sprite wrote:
i mean, it really doesn't matter if you write something amazing, if you write the best straight sex or bdsm story ever written, it's just not going to hit even 50k. i thought 30k was a great target for proving a story is popular - 50k is pretty much out of reach, however, for even the best of the best here unless they write incest/taboo. i am not sure how to make it fair, i mean, i have suggestions, but i also don't want to create a system where the mods and site managers have to do loads and loads of extra work to figure out what makes a story famous in one category compared with another. perhaps the solution is for anyone who really craves that badge to post a father-daughter incest story and move on. not really sure. i mean, its tricky, i admit.


So now I see where you have to go to find the truly motivated authors on Lush.

I was curious about the badges overall, but this one in particular. I think its really neat that such a badge exists.
It's also neat to know that the great writers are doing their research and understand their audience and viewership.

I like Nicola's idea of a two tier or even multi-tier threshold for this, based on categories and previous levels of achievement. If you look at game theory mechanics and work by people like Amy Jo Kim, they will tell you that the value of badges and levels is that they have to be perceived as attainable in order to sustain the interest of the participants. Key point being perceived. The value of this badge seems to be that it is one of the few that is merit based rather than activity based on Lush. Given that, if it is seen as out of reach by aspirants, then its value to the system diminishes rapidly.

Anyway, interesting discussion and I will pop back in to see how this progresses.

Guest
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:25:10 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
TantricDrummer wrote:

I was curious about the badges overall, but this one in particular. I think its really neat that such a badge exists.
It's also neat to know that the great writers are doing their research and understand their audience and viewership.

I like Nicola's idea of a two tier or even multi-tier threshold for this, based on categories and previous levels of achievement. If you look at game theory mechanics and work by people like Amy Jo Kim, they will tell you that the value of badges and levels is that they have to be perceived as attainable in order to sustain the interest of the participants. Key point being perceived. The value of this badge seems to be that it is one of the few that is merit based rather than activity based on Lush. Given that, if it is seen as out of reach by aspirants, then its value to the system diminishes rapidly.



Thank you for putting it so well, TD!
DirtyMartini
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:44:08 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,724
Location: Right here on Lush Stories...
sprite wrote:
omg, just as i was finally getting close to 30,000 it changed? *sighs* even my incest stories don't get that kind of viewership... and that means that in order to get a badge, you have to be read by more people then are actually ON lush, am i right?


LOL...a minor technicality...jeez, you really have to make an issue out of everything don't you?

Btw Gav...I just have to ask...is it now 100,000 views over on Stories Space as well?

Because according to my calculations...hmmm, if all 415 members were to invite everyone they ever met to the site, and...um...

Let's just say I think it might take a while before anyone gets that badge over there...I would not recommend sitting around waiting...just saying...




You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

TantricDrummer
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:03:49 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 10/24/2011
Posts: 9
A question for Gav.
So the 50K page views, is that views by users who are logged in? Or is it anonymous views?

Cos if the 1-9-90 rule is in effect, you're getting about 800K to 900K unique visitors who either dont have a profile or don't log in?

Just curious.

I was thinking about this a little more (dangerous I know).

Maybe one thing to consider is an estimation exercise.
Figure out how many famous stories you want in a month, a year.
Look at what the top non-incest story limits are and determine a threshold using that.

Of course all this is moot given you moved the bar down to 50K.

What I should do is go write some stories rather than debate the recognition system functions.

TD
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:16:28 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 24,908
Location: Sydney, Australia
Yes, it needs to be attainable, yet not too easy to attain. It's a fine balance.

EDIT: I've just had a look. We have 1058 pages of stories, 15 to a page, around 16,000 in total.

There are 10 pages of stories reaching 50K views. So that equates to around the top 1% of all stories.

I think 50K views is fair enough.
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:33:57 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 24,908
Location: Sydney, Australia
TantricDrummer wrote:
A question for Gav.
So the 50K page views, is that views by users who are logged in? Or is it anonymous views?

Cos if the 1-9-90 rule is in effect, you're getting about 800K to 900K unique visitors who either dont have a profile or don't log in?

Just curious.

TD


We get approx 1.6m unique visitors per month, and show 26 million page impressions across the entire site (stories plus profiles mainly).
TantricDrummer
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 9:57:42 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 10/24/2011
Posts: 9
Thanks for being so responsive Nicola,

Appreciate the info, as well as the insight based on the numbers.

Yes, matching up to 1% seems to be about the right balance.
Now for the harder question about attainability of all non-incest stories.

I'm planning on writing an incest story myself, based on the wisdom of John Cusack, who said that he did his blockbuster movies just so he had the means to go off and work on the projects that interested him.

Cheers

TD
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 11:55:05 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 5,988
Location: In your dirty fantasies
TantricDrummer wrote:

Now for the harder question about attainability of all non-incest stories.


I have a non-incest story that's currently over 60,000 views, so it's technically possible.


sprite
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 12:17:16 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 13,716
Location: My Tower, United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:


I have a non-incest story that's currently over 60,000 views, so it's technically possible.


Yeah, but how many of us are capable of doing what YOU do? like in my dreams, maybe. *walks off grumbling about women gifted with incredible brains, beauty, compassion, and a god given gift for the written word*
Guest
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 1:11:06 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
I agree completely with Sprite. Except for DD, and perhaps a few others, no non-incest story will ever get to 100,000 (at least not in our Lush lifetimes)
LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 2:12:27 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,678
Location: United States
sprite wrote:


Yeah, but how many of us are capable of doing what YOU do?


you.
Guest
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 2:26:56 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
nicola wrote:


There are 10 pages of stories reaching 50K views. So that equates to around the top 1% of all stories.

I think 50K views is fair enough.



so how many of those 10 pages of over 50K stories are non-incest?
nicola
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 2:51:44 PM

Rank: Matriarch

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 24,908
Location: Sydney, Australia
You have access to the same pages I do.
Guest
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 3:02:20 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
nicola wrote:
You have access to the same pages I do.


I asked because when I go to the Search, Stories

the Sort by, is this:

Rank
Title
Date Added
Category

It does not allow me to ask for "over 50,000 views". I don't seem to have the "know how" to ask for the over 50,000 view stories to look at their categories.

Sorry to have asked.

Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.