Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Ruling Lifts Ban on Prostitution Options · View
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:27:34 PM

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2269104/entry/1/

A ruling by the Ontario Supreme Court (Canada) struck down laws against prostitution, effective immediately.

Quote:

The Canadian government has 30 days to challenge a ruling lifting a ban on brothels in Ontario, or risk a domino effect that could decriminalize prostitution across the country. In a landmark decision, Superior Court Justice Susan Himel sided with two former prostitutes and a "flamboyant dominatrix" in arguing that the laws designed to protect sex workers actually put them in danger. "These laws ... force prostitutes to choose between their liberty, interest and their right to security of the person," Himel said, calling on the government to regulate the trade rather than ban it outright. Effective immediately, it is no longer illegal to pimp, solicit a prostitute, or run "a common bawdy house" in the central Canadian province. Despite protests from Ottawa, Himel rejected an appeal to delay the effects of her decision for an additional 18 months, saying that a postponement would only keep prostitutes working under risky conditions.

I know one argument that people bring up against legalizing prostitution is that it legitimizes an industry where women are often exploited for their bodies and forced into 'service', but I can tell you that this is possible whether it's legal or not. It happens illegally every day, with girls having nobody to turn too, since the business is criminal in the first place.

Is this court decision a good thing, especially since it's possible that the precedent will spread to other areas of Canada, and perhaps other countries following suit?
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:48:51 PM

LadyX wrote:

I know one argument that people bring up against legalizing prostitution is that it legitimizes an industry where women are often exploited for their bodies and forced into 'service', but I can tell you that this is possible whether it's legal or not. It happens illegally every day, with girls having nobody to turn too, since the business is criminal in the first place.

Is this court decision a good thing, especially since it's possible that the precedent will spread to other areas of Canada, and perhaps other countries following suit?

In those countries (and states, I suppose) where prostitution is legal and regulated, how many examples can you find of women being forced into the trade and victimized by unscrupulous criminals? And how many legal sex workers are in the vocation just to earn a living, and aren't being forced to be victims? I've been wondering this for many years, but I don't know if there's any way to actually find out. Personally, I'd like to see this facet of the sex industry legalized and regulated, and I'd like to see those criminals who rely on force or drugs to coerce women into working for them to be treated as the rapists they (morally) are.

mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:09:18 PM

Personally, I hope that the domino effect to which LadyX refers DOES happen. What? Surprised? Prostitution is considered one of the world's oldest professions and was only driven underground by organised religion.

Anyone who has spent any time in Amsterdam, Holland, will know how organised, clean and taxable prostitution can be. The girls (and some men) are able to report crimes against them without fear of recrimination or Pimps. Police and health inspectors regularly inspect the 'vendors' and the conditions in which they work and legal brothels are clearly advertised for the visiting punter/tourist. It allows the part-time vendor to register for the sex trade and make money by choice - as many students/single mom's and housewives do. Is it perfect? Hell No, but it's a lot better than the insidious sex slave industry alive and well in London and other major cities around the world.

The people who argue that legalising prostitution will lead to the exploitation of women need to wake up and smell the coffee. Women are already being exploited, this is a chance to give them health benefits and a pension!!!
coffee

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:50:58 PM

mercianknight wrote:

The people who argue that legalising prostitution will lead to the exploitation of women need to wake up and smell the coffee. Women are already being exploited, this is a chance to give them health benefits and a pension!!!
coffee

thumbup

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
DamonX
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:40:01 PM

mercianknight wrote:

coffee

As long as they don't form unions! I can't afford to pay anymore than I already do, for a bj in the backseat of my car.....icon_smile
mercianknight
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 6:25:00 AM

DamonX wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

coffee

As long as they don't form unions! I can't afford to pay anymore than I already do, for a bj in the backseat of my car.....icon_smile

Well said thumbright

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 6:35:32 AM

DamonX wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

coffee

Oh, I'm sure she has to work like hell for her money.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 5:02:21 PM

DamonX wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

coffee

Don't go looking for paid sex in San Francisco, then!
lafayettemister
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:36:14 PM

Would there be a training school where an instructor teaches newbies how to do things correctly. And the public can get services at a discount rate? Like massage schools do?

As long as the persons involved are doing so by their own wishes and not by force, there should be nothing wrong with it.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:13:55 PM

in all seriousness if prostitution is legal then there is going to have to be rules and human rights regulations put on it. for example a whore house will now have to be clean and up to OSSAH (whatever the workplace thing's acronym is) standards. this will mean that the 'legal' prostitutes will be more expensive because their pimps will need to supply regulation things that cost a lot of money. johns looking for a cheap fuck won't find it at Henry's House of Holes so they will turn to a less than legal place where the regulations are ignored and everything is hush hush the girls will be treated terribly there as they were before prostitution was legalized thus starting the abuse, neglect and filth cycle all over again. Oh and the safer cleaner regulated Henrys House of Holes will go out of business because everyone goes to Billy's Cheap Bitches. so really no point in legalizing it plus i bet less people would participate if it was legal the thrill of breaking the law would be gone LOL
Pelicanbill
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:16:07 PM

The "Nanny" state where I live has legitamatised brothels and prostitution. The biggest Hoo Haa that has been raised since has been the siting of some brothels, near schools and in shady family streets. There is a bit of a problem with illegal workers, mainly from asian countries, who are brought into the country and exploited. Not everywhere has a brothel. I live in a town of 32,000 and we don't have a brothel or even massage parlour. No sex shop either. Its all done through advertising in the local paper and word of mouth
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:22:44 PM

Pelicanbill wrote:
The "Nanny" state where I live has legitamatised brothels and prostitution. The biggest Hoo Haa that has been raised since has been the siting of some brothels, near schools and in shady family streets. There is a bit of a problem with illegal workers, mainly from asian countries, who are brought into the country and exploited. Not everywhere has a brothel. I live in a town of 32,000 and we don't have a brothel or even massage parlour. No sex shop either. Its all done through advertising in the local paper and word of mouth

i am sorry but What the fuck did you just say?
Emimeni
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:09:00 PM

bigguns wrote:
in all seriousness if prostitution is legal then there is going to have to be rules and human rights regulations put on it. for example a whore house will now have to be clean and up to OSSAH (whatever the workplace thing's acronym is) standards. this will mean that the 'legal' prostitutes will be more expensive because their pimps will need to supply regulation things that cost a lot of money. johns looking for a cheap fuck won't find it at Henry's House of Holes so they will turn to a less than legal place where the regulations are ignored and everything is hush hush the girls will be treated terribly there as they were before prostitution was legalized thus starting the abuse, neglect and filth cycle all over again. Oh and the safer cleaner regulated Henrys House of Holes will go out of business because everyone goes to Billy's Cheap Bitches. so really no point in legalizing it plus i bet less people would participate if it was legal the thrill of breaking the law would be gone LOL

Honestly, the "If we regulate, businesses will go out of business" is a load of bs. If less people participate in prostitution because of a lack of law-evading thrill, good--prostitution, honestly, isn't a healthy way to have sex, regulated or otherwise. If businesses end up shutting down due to a reasonable amount of regulation, maybe they needed to shut down. If prices rise, maybe they were too low to begin with. One thing the US should've learned from the recession is that lack of regulation doesn't work.

From,
Emimeni
Kornpopper
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:59:06 PM

bigguns wrote:

I think what you are refering to is OSHA standards. This involves the safety and wellbeing of employees and customers. There wouldn't be much to regulate in a brothel since you can't get hurt from many of the things inside. As long as the workplace is kept clean and meets safety standards there is little wrong with it and as long as no one gets injured or seriously hurt OSHA usually will leave well enough alone. Those regulation things that cost money are few and far between unless something is seriously wrong. The only things the pimps should supply is an endless supply of condoms.

In my opinion it should be legal. As the knight said it would be better for those that work in the industry. Those low cost prostitutes will be able to raise their rates and make more money. If they chase customers away, where are their customers going to go, back to their wives or girlfriends? Women won't have to worry about their man cheating because they won't be able to afford it. The only drawback I see is if it is legalized we will not be able to hold these congressmen, politicians, judges, etc. accountable for using these services or a call girl.

The decisions we make dictate the life we have.
Follow your dreams, for those that do not will only try to discourage others.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:27:02 PM

Prostitution should be legalized. It is a business. Municipalities can raise revenue from licensing fees and the prostitutes can pay taxes. Prostitution is just one of many things that need to be made legal.

allnight
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 11:42:45 AM

gov regulation of the industry is a heck of a lot easier than restructuring a social system that operates without it.
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 1:13:27 PM

It is just stupid that it is illegal anywhere. I think legalizing it would make it so much safer for those sex workers. It could be monitored for health reasons to prevent disease.
Unlaw
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 12:04:27 PM

It makes perfect sense to legalize it. It's the oldest profession, and one less crime that police have to worry about. Set up red light districts, that way it's not happening in neighborhoods and around schools...Next, legalize marijuana and tax the hell out of it. The only reason it's not legal in Canada yet is due to theproblem of convicting impaired drivers due to marijuana use...then the police can deal with the larger more relevant crimes...
Buz
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 1:23:04 PM

It would be a hot selling stock on the market.

kaotik1
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:48:42 AM

that ruling WON'T stop females from being forced into an industry. In many cases the women are brought over by a criminal organization and are forced into prostitution as a way to pay for their journey to another country due to the parents not having the money to provide passage. here is the kicker. if the women don't comply to the criminal element's ways the females family can get hurt because of the reach of the criminal organization itself.

Just let it go.
kaotik1
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:53:42 AM

LadyX wrote:

Don't go looking for paid sex in San Francisco, then!

that made my day.. I know exactly what your talking about lady X.. that is just over the bridge from where I'm hiding.. lol

Just let it go.
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:47:16 AM

Women are going to be at risk of abuse, regardless of legality, so why not legalize it and at least try to make the industry safer, not to mention the money governments could make from it. It may even be a good thing socially, think about the wee dude that wants to have sex but is too shy to strike up a conversation, his mates club together for a prostitute (which already happens, I know) and he gets more confident, without the social stigma attached to hiring a prostitute. It is as they say "a win-win situation".
Gramps
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:58:53 AM

MissyLuvsYa says it well:... "It is just stupid that it is illegal anywhere. I think legalizing it would make it so much safer for those
sex workers. It could be monitored for health reasons to prevent disease".

I agree very much with this argument and have held this position for many years. Just think how many [wo]man-hours our law enforcement agencies would be able to allocate to real crime prevention. In my county, the sherrif's department has two (probably more) "whores" who walk the street, actually daring men to ask them for sex; each "whore" then has two undercover cops watching to take johns into custody.

A clean, regulated brothel would give me a safe place to have my pylsical needs attended to.

Gramps

The quiet and always horny old guy in Sunny Florida USA
Michael
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:20:04 AM

And then big government will step in and >

Tax the income of the sex-workers.
Tax the income of the Pimps.

Ok, that sounds like a win-win.

There will also be mandatory health checks to prevent the spread of disease.

Another win.

Local governments where these businesses may be located, keeping them from being next door to churches and schools.

Wow! Another win!

And the list goes on...

Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:25:12 AM

We need prostitutes, they perform services that many other women would not. They are needed for married men, single men, old men, youngmen and maybe for ladies too. These wonderful women are the very salt of the earth and they provide far more than just a sexual purpose. Let us give them legal support; they derserve the very best and among their ranks are some of the finest of the female sex.
TransitionalMan
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:35:28 PM

It's very difficult to regulate anything, and set standards when it is illegal.

Legalization would be very bad for pimps, though it probably would not eliminate them entirely, as legal prostitutes command much higher prices then their streetwalking cousins. There will always be some true victims. But it will hurt the pimps, minimize the drugs and spread of disease and will allow many women (and a few men) to make a living they otherwise would not.

The problem is we would have to admit that sex is a normal part of life, and it is also quite normal for it to take place outside of marriage.
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:24:59 AM

You know... Getting prostitution to be legal sounds awesome but if you think you're still going to get sucked off under a bridge downtown for 40 bucks you're in for a rude awakening fellas.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:39:17 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
You know... Getting prostitution to be legal sounds awesome but if you think you're still going to get sucked off under a bridge downtown for 40 bucks you're in for a rude awakening fellas.

That's true. I'm so not giving random BJs for today's rates if I have to pay into some tax system, or pay for a fake health inspection....errrr......get inspected regularly.

Lwinking
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:43:48 AM

LadyX wrote:

That's true. I'm so not giving random BJs for today's rates if I have to pay into some tax system, or pay for a fake health inspection....errrr......get inspected regularly.

Lwinking

Do us existing customers get grandfather claused with today's rates? Inflation is a bitch.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:58:04 AM

LadyX wrote:

Lwinking

That's good ho, cause I expect to get my money and you best not be short. I don't want no shitty 12 bucks this time... You know what happened last time or do I need to remind you?