Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Use of the Word "Baby" Options · View
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:31:01 PM

I like hearing and using babe but I'm with you on baby. It just doesn't feel right.
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:02:00 PM

I just look on it as idleness, I have a name, so I want someone to use it. If a man calls every woman darling or dear etc he is not going to get muddled up is he (god, I am such a cynic lol)
stephanie
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:37:02 AM

NaughtyAnn wrote:
I just look on it as idleness, I have a name, so I want someone to use it. If a man calls every woman darling or dear etc he is not going to get muddled up is he (god, I am such a cynic lol)

Harumph!

(I'll never call you 'Baby' or 'Darling' again, so...... Lady Bloody Ann.... LOL!!!!)

Mwah!

xx SF

Imbecile! - de som empire
Si nos efforts te delevraient,
Tes baisers ressuseraient
Le cadavere de ton Wampyr! (Baudelaire.)
(I'll ATTEMPT a free translation...)
"Idiot! Even if our efforts were
To deliver you from Her empire,
Your kisses would bring back to life
The corpse of your beloved Vampire."
EVERYONE WHO SPEAKS FRENCH: "THat isn't quite correct..."
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:08:41 AM

stephanie wrote:

Harumph!

(I'll never call you 'Baby' or 'Darling' again, so...... Lady Bloody Ann.... LOL!!!!)

Mwah!

xx SF

hehehe Big Hugs
freakycactus
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:22:12 AM

I have always hated being called babe. It's a lazy way to ensure you don't forget someone's name. Other pet names aren't so bad, but babe makes me want to snarl at the person calling me it.

I'm coming round to baby, but it's a struggle, if said in the right way by the right person then it's not much of an issue, but still feels a little wrong.

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:29:13 AM

I like babe or baby (I don't mind them at all).

I think hearing "honey", "dear" or "sweetie" would make me feel like I was 50 yrs old and should be wearing an apron and baking a bundt cake in the kitchen.

Maybe it's a generational thing (or a marriage thing).

sprite
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:45:53 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I like babe or baby (I don't mind them at all).

I think hearing "honey", "dear" or "sweetie" would make me feel like I was 50 yrs old and should be wearing an apron and baking a bundt cake in the kitchen.

Maybe it's a generational thing (or a marriage thing).

i picked up 'sweetie', which i use as an endearment, from working table - yeah, i think it is a bit generational, but i was working around a lot of middle aged women who used it. 'hone'y gets used too, but if i use 'honey' it usually means i'm about reading to smack you around for something, so beware. :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Innocent_Devil
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:09:04 AM

Hate it wouldn't use it. I find it disrespectful, specially if its from someone I hardly know. If its someone I'm close with I can just about except it but otherwise I'll give them a piece of my mind
Beta
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 10:42:42 AM

i like being called baby but not babe. yet i call my man babe and baby. (my last bf got called 'un' and he is the only man ill ever call that) one thing i really hate is when people reuse pet names.
swollen
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 11:37:48 AM

I'm pretty chilled about stuff like that - there are far bigger issues in life than being called a meaningless 'pet-name' by a stranger. Oops, forgot to add, personally I like to use the pet-names 'Chunky' or 'Skinny-arse' for my besties !! xx
Catnip
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 12:16:18 PM

There's nothing as annoying as getting a pet name from someone you're not close to.
People using the opening phrases; "Hi Babe" "Hi Baby" "Hi BB" are the worst kind.

Also the words "doll" "kitten" "little/lil (infront of anyting referring to me)" annoys me really much.

I suppose it's because I do not want people to look at me like something that I am not.
I'm not the typical girly person with no brains. I'm more of a lunatic and calling me weird would fit much better.

When I was in Chester, England, I got used to being called "Love" and liking it. I find myself using it in conversations at times.

asleep
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:12:56 PM

It may be a regional/country thing, too....and maybe a bit of age also. Now, that said...how does being called "Mz. Rachel" or "Miss Ashleigh" sound. I'm old as dirt...one of God's playmates, in fact...and I would likely use the Mz./Ms. or Miss when first addressing you. "Honey" will occasionally slip out, but only in a really friendly/playful situation and I kinda/sorta knew you. I guess "Babe/Baby" lost its appeal to me from all the fuel desk clerks using it...without really any friendly meaning in it....when I was a commercial truck driver.

So...bye BABY SPRITE...and if you happen to see them, give that BABY DOLL and MISS SUGAH CAT a big ole hug from me. (and we didn't even talk about "Sugar/Sugah")

Rick

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

sprite
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:28:56 PM

asleep wrote:
It may be a regional/country thing, too....and maybe a bit of age also. Now, that said...how does being called "Mz. Rachel" or "Miss Ashleigh" sound. I'm old as dirt...one of God's playmates, in fact...and I would likely use the Mz./Ms. or Miss when first addressing you. "Honey" will occasionally slip out, but only in a really friendly/playful situation and I kinda/sorta knew you. I guess "Babe/Baby" lost its appeal to me from all the fuel desk clerks using it...without really any friendly meaning in it....when I was a commercial truck driver.

So...bye BABY SPRITE...and if you happen to see them, give that BABY DOLL and MISS SUGAH CAT a big ole hug from me. (and we didn't even talk about "Sugar/Sugah")

Rick

oh, no - Mz or Ms or Miss rachel is weird for me - i call my wife/owner Ms Kate from times, kitty's don't usually get honorifics! it's like, who is he talking too? :)

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 3:29:09 PM

asleep wrote:

Rick

I should clarify my original post... I am good with being called babe/baby by someone who is intimate with me (or is a friend). Strangers or casual acquaintances should just call me Ashleigh. No Ms. or Miss.... Just Ashleigh. Unless they need to get my attention, in which case, "excuse me, Miss. You dropped your scarf." is fine.

I'm thinking more of a boyfriend saying, "hey babe, how was your day" or "oh baby, I need to fuck that tight little pussy right now"... that kind of thing. I'm more used to those terms than a guy saying, "honey" or "sweetie". I've never been a fan of really cloying or sugary pet-names.

Context and intention has a lot to do with it. If it's an old person saying, "thanks, lovey" or "that's a beautiful necklace, dear", I think it's sweet. If it's some douchebag calling me 'babydoll' as I walk by on the street, it's lame.

My general feeling is... if you don't know the person very well, then just use their actual name.

Catnip
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 4:44:06 PM

I'm totally fine with being called Miss Catnip.

Though sugah, I don't know... it's better than pumpkin.

I usually call my friends "Söt" it's a word that have the meaning sweet (the taste) or cute.

asleep
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 7:30:49 PM

I wrote: "I guess "Babe/Baby" lost its appeal to me from all the fuel desk clerks using it...without really any friendly meaning in it....when I was a commercial truck driver."

DOLL wrote: "My general feeling is... if you don't know the person very well, then just use their actual name."

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds with you ladies. DOLL's statement really expresses how I feel. If I don't know your name, you WILL get a "Sir" or "M'am" from me...often prefaced with "Yes" or "No", etc. Just trying to use what few manners my mother tried to pound into me well over 1/2 century ago.

Rick

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/exit-33-trust.aspx

Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 8:52:01 AM

For some reason I dont like 'babe'...I think I have heard it used sarcastically too many times. 'Baby' is for someone I care about. Just endearment term for me. If they didnt like it, and told me (like 'darling') I will stop using it immediatly.
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:05:05 AM

I love it when my boyfriend calls me babe/baby and as for the other guys that im affectionate with, i like being called "baby" especially when they are much older than i am. makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

BUT BUT BUT. When a stranger says "hey babe" or "hey baby" etc etc. I get the urge to swing my baseball bat at their heads making sure their heads falls off their shoulders. grrrr....
BustyMinx
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 10:25:39 AM

I love being called baby, but only when its by a signifcant other. I tend to be one of the youngest people in the office and at our Christmas do and they call me baby because of it. Then it is irratating.

It is all down to who says it and in what context as with anything in life.
winky
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:07:06 PM

i like calling people booboo hahah my guy friends arent fond of it.. but i think its funny
Shylass
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:23:07 PM

winky wrote:
i like calling people booboo hahah my guy friends arent fond of it.. but i think its funny

It's definitely better than knobhead or numbnuts, I guess!

Thank you for all the replies, everybody. hello2

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
JesseS
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:39:11 PM

Shylass wrote:
I admit, I'm not the usual kind of lass. But something about the use of the word "Baby" when given to a grown woman or a man makes me want to throw up. There's something very Wrong about it in my head, I can't separate it from... well, a baby. "Babe" is marginally better, but still not great. I most often hear it when used to denote one's sexual partner, and it really grosses me out. Sorry.

I have nothing wrong with the use of nicknames, or things like lass, and lad, bird, mate, etc. But baby? Bleurgh. puke

Do you use the term baby/babe, and if so, why? Many thanks in advance to any who respond and help me to understand.

I agree with you 100%! Calling any adult by the same term applied to stinky, diapered, rug rats, absolutely turns me off. Worse, the term 'baby girl' that became so 'in' for awhile. Why do these people call their girlfriend like they're talking to a child?
foxjack
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:52:23 PM

Babe doesn't bother me, baby just seems wrong, I feel like it’s too young for adult couples.