Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are intelligent people less likely to believe in god.....? Options · View
hartclass
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:34:42 AM

Who's God - in a multi faith, global enviroment - every body believes in something, even if they have belief in nothing.

Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:18:40 AM

SigurdOokami
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:10:40 PM

chefkathleen wrote:

hahaha thats made me giggle!

This post comes to you from the original and highly disorganised mind of mine...be scared, I certainly am, lol
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:46:09 PM

I know what you mean. Me too.
TastyMissPT
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:48:57 PM

"GOD" was created in man's image. Just a politcal construct to control the masses. Sorry, no gods, just us.
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:40:20 AM

What anyone believes has much more to do with their emotional type and background. Very intelligent people often believe utter crap.
The trouble is very intelligent people are taken seriously and listened to with awe. I quote as an example Ron Hubbard scientologist. Very inteligent people can also be utterly intolerant forcing their opinions on others less able to defend themselves. Beware the trap of intelligence pat your dog and be thankful for him.
charmbrights
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:48:53 AM

Epicurus' dates were 341 BCE – 270 BCE, as I hinted in my post of the quote chefkathleen reposted, not 33AD.

The concept of God did not start with the alleged death of Jesus.

The concept of God is actually camouflage for a class of fraudsters who want people with real work to keep them in luxury in return for "interceding" with someone you can't see, hear, or otherwise detect.

Another quote "If you really, really want something and you've been begging and praying for it - God is the one who ignores you."

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:12:32 AM

DamonX wrote:

You guys are missing the point of the original post.

No one is asking whether or not YOU belive in god. Did you guys even read the article?

The idea here is not that "intelligent" people or people with high I.Q. don´t believe -- the study found that there is a correlation between high IQ and doubt/questioning the concept of god.

I think it makes perfect sense -- the more education an individual gets, the more that person will start to examine their beliefs and rethink social paradims, dogmas.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
tashitasha
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:59:14 AM

It depends on what you mean by intelligent. It may academic or just in general. well I do see a lot of intelligent people, like with great qualifications and top jobs being fully devoted to god.

I personally don't think that believing in god depends on the intelligence of people.

My Entry for the competition: The Mystery of The Abandoned Manor

Do you like Mystery, danger & hot sex? Then why don't you try my Novel? (work in progress) : When The Truth Hurts

Can Crystal resist handsome, married Gary? Find out here: A Night of Forbidden Passion

A professional thief, a seductive woman who knows how to use all her assets to get what she wants, when she wants it: A Flawless Plan

PrettyMom
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:27:09 AM

A very intelligent friend of mine recently said "be careful reading the bible has been known to cause atheism" and I think that is the perfect quote for this thread. That is the way that intelligence can easily cause atheism. Personally I think intelligent people are far more likely not to believe in the bible, but you don't have to believe in the bible to believe in god. Reading the bible may cause you not believe in god for some time, but I do think that most intelligent people believe in a god of some sort eventually.
swollen
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:21:20 PM

Maybe studying the teachings of the bible would make any individual, regardless of their level of intelligence, more inclined to believe in God. It's all too easy to be sceptical and cynical about any subject that one knows very little, or even nothing about.
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:59:01 PM

1curiouscat wrote:

You guys are missing the point of the original post.

No one is asking whether or not YOU belive in god. Did you guys even read the article?

The idea here is not that "intelligent" people or people with high I.Q. don´t believe -- the study found that there is a correlation between high IQ and doubt/questioning the concept of god.

I think it makes perfect sense -- the more education an individual gets, the more that person will start to examine their beliefs and rethink social paradims, dogmas.

What makes you think we don't get it? Or that we didn't read the article? Perhaps we consider ourselves intelligent enough to be in that category of higher intelligence.
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 1:06:09 PM

Chef you are in the category of the highest intellingence... notworthy

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
petersr
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 2:53:18 PM

YES.But be more likly to use He or She to make money.
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 4:36:39 PM

1curiouscat wrote:
Chef you are in the category of the highest intellingence... notworthy

You're cute too Fernando. Hugs
hobbhorn
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2012 8:09:03 PM

I agree with curiouscat on this one -- I believe that more intelligent people may be more likely to question and challenge -- Someone else mentioned the differentiation between belief in God and the belief in a Religion. I'm also of the opinion that one may believe in a higher power, but at the same time may question the dogma associated with organized religion.
DLizze
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:13:18 PM

awensmom said, "A very intelligent friend of mine recently said "be careful reading the bible has been known to cause atheism" and I think that is the perfect quote for this thread."

That is exactly what happened to Thomas a Kempis. He was a jesuit priest, who, for a significant part of his life, renounced the priesthood, Catholicism and his belief in God. He later recanted, and wrote his most famous work, "The Imitation of Christ". But he was an excellent example of how education and intelligence can lead to questioning.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
wonderlandisgone
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 1:47:16 PM

I'm not so sure that intelligent people are less likely to believe in a god as they are willing to explore and question. Faith is independent of science, as it well should be. One needn't (nor shouldn't) attempt to fit emotional reasoning into logical reasoning. The problem with attempting to marry the two comes into play when discussing beliefs with others. In my personal opinion, god (God?) should be questioned, from scriptural writings to the idea of existence. Religion becomes less and less important in a society as a society becomes more civilized. In the age of instantaneous knowledge, and the ability to 'police' the people around oneself, there is less of a need to have the feeling that someone, or something, is watching, making moral decisions for one.
Buz
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 2:15:33 PM

I have known some pseudo intellectuals that think they are God. Most were college professors.

DUBOIS15801
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 3:28:23 PM

I do not believe so .... faith has nothing to do with intelligence .... intelligence and education are just tools .... I believe the real value/aim is DEVELOPMENT.
TransitionalMan
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:16:31 PM

There have been some studies comparing religiousity with intelligence and the jury is still out. There is a small correlation between atheism and intelligence, but some very, very intelligent people are believers.
1curiouscat
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:59:11 PM

Buz wrote:
I have known some pseudo intellectuals that think they are God. Most were college professors.

laughing6

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
TraceyAmes
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:59:33 PM

It is quite logical to say that the more intelligent a person, the more chance he/she has of reasoning that there is a God who created us. Think of it this way:

Imagine buying a 3000 piece jigsaw puzzle, opening the box and throwing all the pieces on the floor. Nothing will happen unless someone put it all together to make a lovely picture of NICOLA flower

Same with Adam and Eve and even us. We had to come from somewhere as with all life, they were specially designed by a higher form. God. Think of all the organs in the body, the trillions of cells. They could not logically have come from a single cell amoeba. Even then, where did the first amoeba come from.

God created all life, he designed the earth and the conditions right for us humans and some not so humans to live in. So it all goes back to logic and intelligence. Those who can reason will clearly see that God does exist.

Right now he is even watching all of us here on Lush, observing our behavior. Scary isn't it?
1curiouscat
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:51:45 AM

Gods that Christians and Atheist don´t believe in:

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:41:10 PM

Milik_Redman
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:19:23 PM

Do I believe in a God? Yes. I can feel the spiritual energy when I let myself. I believe that life is simply a short test or training for something more and that the pain we suffer in it is a part of that training. That is why God, whatever that being my be, doesn't interfere.

Now do I believe in religious movements? No, they are a work of men used to impose control over the masses. No one knows what is in the mind of God and if they say otherwise they are full of shit.

β€œIt is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

My Editors Choice Award Winning Stories.

suezq
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:56:15 PM

I think intelligent people are more likely to question the teachings of "the church", but I don't think intelligence precludes belief in God.
brianowens
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:44:26 PM

According to the bible, believers are predestined to believe. If this passage were true, only a select few of us are going to believe in god. I grew up in the church and have a very religious mother, who doesn't understand why I don't believe the same way she does. Ultimately we all have to make our own path. No one can make us believe in anything. Faith is believing in something even though it doesn't make sense rationally. One can be very intelligent, and not have faith. The bible also says that faith is a gift from god.
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:59:57 PM

I don't think so. I didn't believe in God when I was younger but now I do. So unless I was more intelligent at 14 than now, I'm going to say intelligence doesn't determine whether or not a person is a believer.

Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
littlemissbitch
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:52:32 AM

Naughty_Magician wrote:
I don't think so. I didn't believe in God when I was younger but now I do. So unless I was more intelligent at 14 than now, I'm going to say intelligence doesn't determine whether or not a person is a believer.

dont YOU think you are more intelligent than when you were 14?

i dont think it has anything to do with intelligence...or at least maybe it shouldnt. i do think a lot of people believe without having ever THOUGHT about it. and for me thats a problem as i dont believe anything just out of hand. much prefer to take and idea turn it every which way and then decide if im on board or not.

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..