Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

"Black"? Or "African-American"? Options · View
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:51:23 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:

If you were one of the best basketball players in the world, and someone else came onto the court and simply kicked your ass from one end to the other...

Would it really matter what color the dude's skin was?

As the current hype around Jeremy Lin demonstrates, yes it would.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:41:14 PM

Manny8 wrote:

As the current hype around Jeremy Lin demonstrates, yes it would.

I don't know who Jeremy Lin is. Is there something special about his skin tone that makes his ability to beat your ass at basketball better than any other great basketball player? Does his skin tone give him superhuman strength, or the ability to dunk balls no human can dunk? What, exactly, does his color have to do with whether or not he can take you downtown? Nutbag

Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:02:19 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:

I don't know who Jeremy Lin is. Is there something special about his skin tone that makes his ability to beat your ass at basketball better than any other great basketball player? Does his skin tone give him superhuman strength, or the ability to dunk balls no human can dunk? What, exactly, does his color have to do with whether or not he can take you downtown? Nutbag

I think his point was obvious. The fact that Lin is Asian makes his incredible ability to play basketball something that is out of the norm. Anyone can tell you that the majority of NBA stars are black. So when a great Asian player comes along there is more hype due to the fact that he isn't black. At yao mings hight of popularity he had way more endorsement deals going on than black players that were of equal or greater basketball skill. It was because he is a giant Asian player. People are interested in him because he is different.

Nikki703
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:28:16 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

I think his point was obvious. The fact that Lin is Asian makes his incredible ability to play basketball something that is out of the norm. Anyone can tell you that the majority of NBA stars are black. So when a great Asian player comes along there is more hype due to the fact that he isn't black. At yao mings hight of popularity he had way more endorsement deals going on than black players that were of equal or greater basketball skill. It was because he is a giant Asian player. People are interested in him because he is different.

Dont you think the reason Yao Ming had as many endorsment deals was to tap into the money from the Asian market in the US which was traditionally not the largest group of basketball fans? Much like baseball did with Ichiro and some other Japanese players
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:52:26 PM

Nikki703 wrote:

Dont you think the reason Yao Ming had as many endorsment deals was to tap into the money from the Asian market in the US which was traditionally not the largest group of basketball fans? Much like baseball did with Ichiro and some other Japanese players

Yeah sure. Thats is a huge part of it. But they are good players. They would be good enough to play even if that wasn't part of it. But the fact they they are Asian IS what makes it matter. Their Asian decent made them more famous.

charmbrights
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:15:25 AM

If you have the list of possible answers to "race" listed there is usually a category "Other, please specify". If there is I always tick "Other" and put "1500m" in the little box, even though I have not competed on a track in over 50 years. Sure enough, from time to time, the summary of responses has included ..., ..., 1500m 1%.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:33:06 AM

charmbrights wrote:
If you have the list of possible answers to "race" listed there is usually a category "Other, please specify". If there is I always tick "Other" and put "1500m" in the little box, even though I have not competed on a track in over 50 years. Sure enough, from time to time, the summary of responses has included ..., ..., 1500m 1%.

laughing3
If I ever get the form to fill in myself I am certainly going to try that. hello2

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:18:41 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Advertising will always be based on demographics. Advertisers will spend their dollars where they feel they're going to get the best return. It doesn't reflect well upon our culture that skin color is a part of that demographic picture. Manny dodged answering my question quite handily - the reality is: if a person is a better athlete, then he's a better athlete. Skin color has nothing to do with it. With the way professional athletic programs are run these days, a man can be better than his opponent on Monday, and then get his ass whupped on Wednesday. It all depends on how he feels that day, against how his opponent is doing. And again, skin color has nothing to do with it.

Beta
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:32:47 PM

why does it matter? the color of ones skin means nothing. its whats inside that counts.
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 5:06:02 AM

I usually ticket "other" and wrote in -- I´m Brown

Mr. NudiePants if I may -- you are correct in saying skin in itself is not a determinent of athletic ability.

However, skin color is a biological indicative that a person may have DNA that is more prone to athletic greatness then others. The reason this Asian basketball players are "interesting" is because generally speaking, Asian DNA is not compatible with the game of basketball. It tends to be more compativle with games that require less athletic ability based on muscle and strength and more on reflex and fast thinking like ping pong or badminton. Its all a question of DNA and skin and eyes and hair are indicatives of this "special athletic blend" if you will.

And as it has been proven in the last half century, people with darker skin tend to have this "special atheltic blend" that basketball and american football require to succeed.

Again these arguments will all have some exceptions because we hava to generalize, but in the end its all about DNA.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 3:21:42 PM

1curiouscat wrote:
I usually ticket "other" and wrote in -- I´m Brown

Mr. NudiePants if I may -- you are correct in saying skin in itself is not a determinent of athletic ability.

However, skin color is a biological indicative that a person may have DNA that is more prone to athletic greatness then others. The reason this Asian basketball players are "interesting" is because generally speaking, Asian DNA is not compatible with the game of basketball. It tends to be more compativle with games that require less athletic ability based on muscle and strength and more on reflex and fast thinking like ping pong or badminton. Its all a question of DNA and skin and eyes and hair are indicatives of this "special athletic blend" if you will.

And as it has been proven in the last half century, people with darker skin tend to have this "special atheltic blend" that basketball and american football require to succeed.

Again these arguments will all have some exceptions because we hava to generalize, but in the end its all about DNA.

So we're back to the "blacks are better athletes because they're black" argument? Are we also going to trot out the "Asians are better at math" and "women are stupider than men" stereotypes? When are we going to get around to the "black people are born criminals" argument?

Fuck that.

If you really believe that, then I'm sorry to say that you're stuck in the 1800's. You really need an education. Or a better one, at least.

1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 4:53:33 PM

That is not at all what i meant, and im pretty sure you understand this. You are misquoting and twisting my words around.

Everyone is diferent. Some are better at sports while other are better at math, or being eloquent. And yes some are good at everything.

I for example dont have your ability to argue on a thread. My brain isnt wired that way. So ill stop here...

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 5:23:43 PM

1curiouscat wrote:
That is not at all what i meant, and im pretty sure you understand this. You are misquoting and twisting my words around.

Everyone is diferent. Some are better at sports while other are better at math, or being eloquent. And yes some are good at everything.

I for example dont have your ability to argue on a thread. My brain isnt wired that way. So ill stop here...

What you said was, "However, skin color is a biological indicative that a person may have DNA that is more prone to athletic greatness then others."

When you said this, if you didn't mean "Black people are better at sports than white or Asian people" then what did you mean?

1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 5:59:00 PM

People who are good at one kind of sport tend to share special biological characteristics. One that Yao Ming (Asia), Chamberlain (Black), Larry Bird (white) shared... What I call a "special blend" that neither you or I share.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. Skin color or eye color or hair color even less. They are secondary in this context.

Its all about DNA. If you marry Maria Sharapova, there is a good chance your kid will be good athlete - at least 50%.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 7:11:26 PM

I think the naked man is calling you Kitty the Greek! laughing8

Don't worry we all have debated the naked man at least once. Debating nudie is like busting your think tank cherry.

charmbrights
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:11:27 AM

1curiouscat wrote:
... Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. ... Its all about DNA. ...

Am I thick, or misunderstanding your post, or what?

Race is determined by DNA and ONLY by DNA. You can't change someone's race by education. It is a simple fact that very tall people are more suited to playing basketball that people under six feet; it is also a fact that people from some races are, on average, taller than others. Hence there are no top international standard basketball players who are members of the pygmy communities of Africa. This is clearly a matter of race/DNA and in this context the two terms are interchangeable.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
1curiouscat
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:48:53 AM

Chambrights I believe you are seeing it backwards.

Race is a social construct. A word created to make sense of our surroundings.

Kinda like Sex and Gender.

Sex - DNA
Gender - Socially created concept.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
stephanie
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:51:01 AM

Black.

(Let's not fuck around.)

Black is beautiful.

xx Steph

"I'm a writer... Honesty is not my first language..." (Stephen Flashman)
1curiouscat
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:02:44 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
I think the naked man is calling you Kitty the Greek! laughing8

Just got a chance now to watch that clip. I hope that is no the image i'm giving, but If that is what my post are making me look like I think I'm going to stop commenting on this thread now.

Ill answer the question -- black

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:26:27 PM

I accept both. I know far back in my history I had family from africa, but being called black doesn't offend me. I'm a person first and foremost, so just respect me.
naughtynurse
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:32:34 PM

for those who say "people" this is not always a possiblity. We are taught to use descrpitions when charting. If I have a white patient I will chart "Patient is a 67 yr old caucasianfemale with a ..." or vice versa.

I do think we should use the term cracker more though!

A special thank you to all who read and voted on my competition Quickie, a Recomended Read: Something Borrowed
avrgblkgrl
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:22:57 PM

I have no problem with being called either. Generally when I refer to my race I think in terms of being black, because I see myself as a black woman. But, I literally get asked "What are you?" often and that can get rather irritating. I've lived overseas and African blacks do not consider American blacks as "family"--you're just that American that happens to be black. Earlier in the thread a nurse commented on the necessity of identifying people by skin color. That's understandable and unavoidable. I agree with most of the people here. Why and how it's said carries more meaning than the actual words.

My Latest Efforts Both Recommended Reads

VickieLynn1
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 2:35:49 PM

neither. were all American. who cares what "country of origin" our gene pool came from. I know I don't and from now on will check other as well & put American

nothing beats a luscious kiss from well painted lips ;) mmmmmmmmm...........
spearone
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:32:25 PM

People!! People!!

Sig removed by admin: Too awesome.

(500px x 150px max)
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:41:00 AM

Mazza wrote:

Perfect!!

Humanity is divided into 5 broad races.
1. Yellow Race.... Japanese, Chinese, Vietnameses etc.
2. Aryans....... India, Pakistan etc.
3. Caucasians....... (white race)... Europeans,
4. Black Race.......Africans
5. Sematic race...... Syrians, Arabs
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:48:08 AM

avrgblkgrl wrote:
I have no problem with being called either. Generally when I refer to my race I think in terms of being black, because I see myself as a black woman. But, I literally get asked "What are you?" often and that can get rather irritating. I've lived overseas and African blacks do not consider American blacks as "family"--you're just that American that happens to be black. Earlier in the thread a nurse commented on the necessity of identifying people by skin color. That's understandable and unavoidable. I agree with most of the people here. Why and how it's said carries more meaning than tMahe actual words.

May I add here that Black race is the oldest race and mother of all races that are know to mankind
Lucy, the oldest homo Sapian si known to be from black race, from Kenya.
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:09:00 PM

John-doe wrote:
hmmm this isnt a easy subject but i see it as it would be evry single person's choice. i am from South Africa, caucation/white but i am a true african, born and raised so i do believe i am more african then most people called african-american? to explain in detail what my point is that i am about 4th generation in my family born is SA, so when people ask me on here or any other social networking site i explain i come from africa which in part makes me african, if i had to immegrate to america, i would truely become african american but who is white??

I agree with most people on here and sometimes keep tryin to figure out why there has to be a term called race? if maybe in 1000 years and aliens have come to live with us and vampires/werewolfs are among sociaty then yes have a term race and you could then choice between human/alien/vampire/werewolf

So my answer is this, coming from a country with history with race and stuff: Leave it be, let everyone be called human, why make colour a bigger deal then what it is suppose to be? To me all people in america is american's and everyone from my country is called Africans but we all are a weird race called humans...

imho

I am proud to be an African girl, and I always mark Other on forms asking for race.L16
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:04:33 PM

Your either African living in America or an American of African descent.
Not both.
Some white skinned people(Charlize Theron,Dave Matthews)were born in Africa.They can't be called"black".
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 3:58:20 PM

Why does it have to be African American? Why can't it just be American? Yes I am from African descent but after a while that blood runs thin and all is left is the American blood.
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 3:59:15 PM

BlackRose1 wrote:
Why does it have to be African American? Why can't it just be American? Yes I am from African descent but after a while that blood runs thin and all is left is the American blood.

Exactly.