Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Star Spangled Banner Options · View
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:01:39 PM

I heard they're catching a rasher of shit for this. As did Rosanne Barr. Do you think the national anthem should be sung as it was written or should performers be able to change it to their liking. Or to "make it theirs" or "make it their own" as I've heard them say.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:11:22 PM

Had to look the Roseanne thing up. But to me, the difference between the two is that Roseanne was clearly doing a 'bit', where The Fray were earnestly trying to do a nice job of it, but they totally screwed it up.

I don't have a problem with the concept of 'making it their own', but at least make it sound good! I know that's subjective, but I'm trying to imagine the rehearsals for this, and who exactly thought to themselves "yes, this sounds awesome!". Same with the R&B singers (and I like a lot of R&B), who completely over-sing it.
easy_rider75
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:17:24 PM

Normally I would have said keep it the way it is supposed to be but this was actually a pretty tasteful performance. as far as Roseanne goes not even going to touch that one. Still makes me cringe to this day

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
lafayettemister
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:30:16 PM

That was awful. I don't mind a little bit of embellishment. A little bit of artistic license, but it still needs to be recognizable. The opening riffs on guitar were so unrelated to the Star Spangled Banner, I thought they were going to sing something else first. Just because an artist makes "creative" change to any song, doesn't mean it's good. Think of Madonna's American Pie, fucking awful.

The National Anthem, of any nation, should inspire it's people. Like Whitney Houston did when she sang before the Super Bowl. It was heartfelt, emotional, and pitch perfect. And it had a small amount of personal touches. She brought tears to the eyes of men and women in the stadium and across the nation on tv.

Those guys missed the mark on that. By a lot.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:33:01 PM

I do not have a problem with performers making The Star Spangled Banner their own song or liking as long as it sounds great! I am all for originality! In my opinion, Marvin Gaye performed the Star Spangled Banner the best!

Nikki703
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:34:07 PM

I dont think you can compare this with Roseann Barr who was blatantly trying to mess it up. This version, while not good was not done with any malice intended.

It is a very hard song to sing. Actually I believe it was written as a poem, not a song. Personally I think the song should be sung as it was originally intended to be.
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 3:45:41 PM

I think some people, or most wouldn't like for the song to be manipulated or changed in any way. It's one of those things not to mess with in my opinion,
obviously by passed experiences you can get a lot of crap if you mess it up. I think it's best sung in it's original content.
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:01:15 PM

I feel that artists should add their own twist but they have to stay close to the song. There is only one National Anthem.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:06:38 PM

Just as any music or art critic criticizes a performance or work of art that comes up short, these guys' performance was rotten awful and came up woefully short. Their guitars were OUT OF TUNE!!!! Their version of the song, no matter if they are making their own, they should put in more than 5 minutes of practice. Their performance did not look as if they had done much practicing at all. I can strum a little guitar myself but only consider myself a mere novice and I think I could have done a better job than that.

I know that not everyone can measure up to Whitney Houston's all-time greatest performance of the Star Spangled Banner but people should at least give it their best.

Nikki you are right, the words were originally a poem. But soon they were put to the tune of an old British drinking song that was popular in taverns and that's the tune we all know.

petersr
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:39:34 PM

No it is what it is . It made this country what it is. It was good enough for are forfathers and stillDam good enough for us and our country.
VanGogh
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:43:04 PM

being a Canadian, does my opinion count? [hears shouts, no!]

I love the Marvin Gaye version. Heck, ALMOST everyone who has sung it in my opinion gives me goosebumps ... except of course, the two aforementioned interesting versions.

hums ......

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting with The Secretary and The Student - first part

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office

Buz
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:56:49 PM

I have a grand idea! Since it was the Star Spangled Banner performance for the college basketball national championship game, why not have had a contest with all of those great college pep bands that perform at college basketball games? The winning pep band would get to perform the Star Spangled Banner at the national championship.

I guarantee that you would get an outstanding performance then. College pep bands usually consist of trumpets, frumpets, trombones, sousaphones, saxophones and drums. Sometimes an electric guitar or bass guitar also. I know for a fact that the pep bands in the SEC are outstanding. My own alma mater, UGA, has a great pep band (actually much better at what they do than our men's basketball team — don't get me started complaining about that.)

For those that don't know what a frumpet is...its is a french horn redesigned & stretched out and looks like a trumpet only bigger.

Playmale
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:57:39 PM

If you believe in the nation in the song, then you believe in right to free speech.

That being said, it's really all about timing. The beginning of a sporting event is a time when people want a thoughtful attempt at a solid performance.

During an artist's own concert, or on their album, let the creativity go!

Good example - Jimi Hendrix - Woodstock - 1969

Love it - Hate it, but it was his part of the show, and not somebody's sporting event.

I'm surprised that sporting event coordinators don't make contractual arrangements about the exact nature of the performance (with penalties for deviation).

Fortune cookie wisdom - A patriot is one who gets a ticket and rejoices that the system works.
Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:58:23 PM

Buz wrote:

Nikki you are right, the words were originally a poem. But soon they were put to the tune of an old British drinking song that was popular in taverns and that's the tune we all know.

The song is To Anacreon in Heaven

DLizze
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 7:11:09 PM

There is only one National Anthem of the United States of America. Actually, that is not strictly true. There are three: an arrangement for band, an arrangement for orchestra, and an arrangement for voices, with or without accompaniment. All three are authorized by the Congress of The United States of America for official use. The first of these was arranged in 1898, by John Philip Sousa, when he was conductor of the United States Marine Corps Band, Washington, DC. There have been several different authorized arrangements since then. When I was a US Navy Musician, (from 1963 to 1967) we learned and used the arrangement authorized by Congress in 1960.

Any other performance or arrangement, with or without embellishments, are just a song called The Star Spangled Banner. OF those, my favorite is that done by Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock in 1969, closely followed by a big band arrancement used as their opening theme song by a big band out of Cleveland Ohio, who's name escapes me at the moment.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 10:54:46 PM

Buz wrote:
I have a grand idea! Since it was the Star Spangled Banner performance for the college basketball national championship game, why not have had a contest with all of those great college pep bands that perform at college basketball games? The winning pep band would get to perform the Star Spangled Banner at the national championship.

I guarantee that you would get an outstanding performance then. College pep bands usually consist of trumpets, frumpets, trombones, sousaphones, saxophones and drums. Sometimes an electric guitar or bass guitar also. I know for a fact that the pep bands in the SEC are outstanding. My own alma mater, UGA, has a great pep band (actually much better at what they do than our men's basketball team — don't get me started complaining about that.)

For those that don't know what a frumpet is...its is a french horn redesigned & stretched out and looks like a trumpet only bigger.

It's not a frumpet. It's called a mellophone and is actually a variation of a French horn not a combo. I know because that's what I played in our pep band! & I second the call for a return to band music. Football uses their bands why not basketball too!

Edited to add the other type of marching horn available, although rarely used is called a flugelhorn.

Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:00:55 AM

DLizze wrote:
There is only one National Anthem of the United States of America. Actually, that is not strictly true. There are three: an arrangement for band, an arrangement for orchestra, and an arrangement for voices, with or without accompaniment. All three are authorized by the Congress of The United States of America for official use. The first of these was arranged in 1898, by John Philip Sousa, when he was conductor of the United States Marine Corps Band, Washington, DC. There have been several different authorized arrangements since then. When I was a US Navy Musician, (from 1963 to 1967) we learned and used the arrangement authorized by Congress in 1960.

Any other performance or arrangement, with or without embellishments, are just a song called The Star Spangled Banner. OF those, my favorite is that done by Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock in 1969, closely followed by a big band arrancement used as their opening theme song by a big band out of Cleveland Ohio, who's name escapes me at the moment.

I love having an expert on site.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 11:16:59 AM

What's next..? Some gangsta rapping of the Star Spangled Banner?

This version performed above (recently) was, to borrow a phrase from a Lush friend - Vomitrocious

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
DLizze
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:45:29 PM

Correction: I lied. The big band is not out of Cleveland; it is Tony Fortunado and The Emperors of Swing, and they are out of Columbus, Ohio.
Their version of SSB is on their first cd, and Tony simply calls it, "My Opener."

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:19:34 PM

Quote:
Vomitrocious
I like this word.
ramrod32784
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 8:42:12 AM

The original tune was a Scottish drinking song.It is a tough song to sing but try to do it right
RobinMaxwell760
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 1:28:31 PM

you don't sing "Amazing Grace" in a rock 2/4 beat. You don't have "blue man group" do Wagner's 'Flight of the valkyri" on plastic sewer tubes. You don't EVER invite Rosanne to sing anything ...EVER! Leave the song that marks our country ( no matter its origins's Buz. that really doesn't deminish it) alone if you can't sing it the way you know you should. To honor those that have fallen to give us what we take for granted and the life we enjoy.

RM

"I understand that 'Shit happens'! I don't under stand why I have to be under it when it does!!!"
RM
JessicaX
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:38:42 AM

Everytime I hear the lyrics "The land of the free" written by the prominent slaveholder, Francis Scott Key, I wish our national anthem was America the Beautiful.

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:39:31 AM

JessicaX wrote:
Everytime I hear the lyrics "The land of the free" written by the prominent slaveholder, Francis Scott Key, I wish our national anthem was America the Beautiful.

I couldn't agree more!
Milik_Redman
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:21:10 PM

N/A. Never post on a phone...

“It is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

My Editors Choice Award Winning Stories.

Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:22:28 PM

I like Slash's version of it. Aside from the pedal effects, he stays pretty close to the original tune.
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:24:06 PM

This is also a pretty good version, from one of my favourite bands. Though it would have been nice to hear Brad Delp's vocals on it too, instead of the straight up instrumental version.
jimbz
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:19:08 PM

petersr wrote:
No it is what it is . It made this country what it is. It was good enough for are forfathers and stillDam good enough for us and our country.

Hands down Peter