Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Heart Attack Grill - should restaurants like this be allowed? Options · View
nicola
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:39:27 AM

Fact: a lot of people are stupid.

Fact: a lot of people are greedy.

Fact: a lot of people are both greedy and stupid.

Which leads me to this story: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/offbeat/13524880/heart-attack-grill-claims-another-victim/

What would you expect after eating a burger called a "double bypass burger"?

Maybe they should have a blood pressure machine at the door. Using it would be a condition of entry...

Arguing against these restaurants doesn't really hold water, there's nothing stopping anyone going into a McDonalds or Burger King and ordering 50 burgers.

Is it best to simply sit back, read these stories, and laugh at their stupidity, or should something be done? If yes, what?
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:58:56 AM

nicola wrote:

Fact: a lot of people are both greedy and stupid..

Is it best to simply sit back, read these stories, and laugh at their stupidity...

This

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
nicola
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:05:13 AM

Yes, that was my take too on the situation!

I don't think it's going to propel the human race further forward though taking that approach, although nature seems to be at least attempting to strengthen the gene pool.

Back to my daily 2.2 gallons of coca cola...
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:42:00 AM

I prefer the Darwinian approach - do nothing and just allow these people to weed themselves out of the breeding population through their own stupidity.

I have noticed a preoccupation - more in the US - where it's almost a source of pride of how much a person can eat. Like it's worth bragging rights to be able to claim that one can eat goliath-sized portions - usually of some kind of meat - burgers, steak or whatever. And I'm pretty sure I remember reading occasionally of various restaurants giving out prizes or letting someone eat for free if they can consume the entire plate in one sitting. It reminds me of that other thread recently about what it means to "be a man"... the beer belching, carcass on the dinner plate, 'hear-me-rawr' type "manly man"... Yeah, those are the ones that are sitting down for the double-bypass burger.

The article saying that tourists were taking photos of the guy sweating and shaking while having a heart attack eating the triple-bypass burger because they thought it was "part of the show"... classic!

SITTING
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:56:43 AM

charmbrights
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:11:36 AM

Of course it should be allowed. The moment you ban an establishment which is doing legal business on health grounds without passing a new law you will have every restaurant in creation closed to placate one campaign or another. If you pass a law banning certain edibles from being made or sold, take care that there won't be any unforeseen consequences.

Remember Prohibition in the USA 1919-1933.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
Notenough
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:45:04 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I prefer the Darwinian approach - do nothing and just allow these people to weed themselves out of the breeding population through their own stupidity.

I agree with this statement. It says it all
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:08:23 AM

It's up to people to think about what they eat. If you're eating something called a "double bypass burger" you have to expect repercussions and I'd say that the name of the burger itself is more than adequate for a disclaimer. If the restaurants were banned or outlawed, people would just eat like that in their homes, so it's making little or no difference. To take away the choice would be wrong and even though I would never go to such a place, if some other fat bastard wanted to, that's cool with me: your body, your choice, your heart attack.

Of course when you think about the repercussions from the point of view of the hospitals and that it costs a hell of a lot to rectify the heart attack victim's lack of caring, maybe something should be done about it, but I believe in total freedom and if that means having "heart attack grills", then so be it, but don't say you weren't warned, because you were: over and over again by billboards, tv, radio, internet and lots of other media.

I'm actually feeling a little conflicted now because I can see both sides of the argument. Yeah, ban them because it's putting too much strain on the health profession, but at the same time, like I said, it's not fair to take away people's freedom of choice.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:21:18 AM

Gurlyboy wrote:

I'm actually feeling a little conflicted now because I can see both sides of the argument. Yeah, ban them because it's putting too much strain on the health profession, but at the same time, like I said, it's not fair to take away people's freedom of choice.

Maybe they should install a do-it-yourself defibrillator near the exit.

Buz
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:26:57 AM

Freedom! People should have the freedom & liberty to make intelligent & stupid decisions. But if the results are bad then they have to live (or die) with that. The government should not steal money that I earned from my through taxation to pay for someone else's stupid decisions and bad planning.

I also don't think government has the right to regulate the food intake of its citizens. The government's job of inspecting restaurants for cleanliness and safety for workers should be the limit of their involvement.

I have never met anyone so uneducated that they did not know the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. So what they eat is up to them and they can choke on it if they want to. If they do not have the will power then maybe they should see a shrink, join a weight loss program, or learn some self discipline, but they are responsible for their own decisions. If they are already in bad health then eating that Triple-By-Pass Burger is not a good decision.

I will eat some very unhealthy but very tasty food sometimes but it is my decision and I know to do so in moderation. I also burn a huge number of calories through exercise and I always get an extremely good report from the doctor every time I have a physical. Despite eating many greasy burgers and fries, lots of barbecue, etc., I have unusually low cholesterol, an extra low heart rate, and I have had the doctor suggest I put on a little more body fat. I told him that I was trying!

See y'all at The Varsity!

PS. That Triple-By-Pass Burger looked delicious, but how could one get their mouth open wide enough to take a bite of that thing?

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:39:34 AM

Gurlyboy wrote:

Of course when you think about the repercussions from the point of view of the hospitals and that it costs a hell of a lot to rectify the heart attack victim's lack of caring, maybe something should be done about it,

This is why nothing can be done about it. They either don't care about their body or they're too stooooped to understand what eating tons of junk food does to you. That means if they can't get a bypass burger they'll go down the street and eat something else that's 70% fat and 30% sugar. They're like junkies and will get their shit somewhere, either it's there or they have to go and buy 20 Big Macs. And marketing a place that gives sick burgers is brilliant for the tourist industry. Tourists will come to see the big burgers and leave money in the other shops or hotels in the area. So keep the restaurant and let them have their heart attacks. They're gonna be a bitch to the hospital no matter what.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:39:42 AM

WMM & DD summed it up for me. coffee

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
MMonroe
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:53:14 AM

Yup i totally agree with whats been said. MAYBE offer some kind of health warning like with cigarettes but 99% of the population are educated enough to know that eating that amount of crap isnt good for you, and umm... its YOUR fault if you end up in a bad way because of it.

*Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?*

easy_rider75
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:00:50 AM

Hey to quote P.T. Barnum there is a sucker born every minute. restaurants like this just prove that theory all the time

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Ruthie
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:14:30 AM

MMonroe wrote:
Yup i totally agree with whats been said. MAYBE offer some kind of health warning like with cigarettes but 99% of the population are educated enough to know that eating that amount of crap isnt good for you, and umm... its YOUR fault if you end up in a bad way because of it.

The Heart Attack Grill has a warning posted.
MMonroe
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:18:56 AM

CoopsRuthie wrote:

The Heart Attack Grill has a warning posted.

Well there you go, they're fully aware of any possible repurcusions so let them get on with it

*Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?*

latinfoxy
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:29:06 AM

Buz wrote:
Freedom! People should have the freedom & liberty to make intelligent & stupid decisions. But if the results are bad then they have to live (or die) with that. The government should not steal money that I earned from my through taxation to pay for someone else's stupid decisions and bad planning.

I also don't think government has the right to regulate the food intake of its citizens. The government's job of inspecting restaurants for cleanliness and safety for workers should be the limit of their involvement.

I have never met anyone so uneducated that they did not know the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. So what they eat is up to them and they can choke on it if they want to. If they do not have the will power then maybe they should see a shrink, join a weight loss program, or learn some self discipline, but they are responsible for their own decisions. If they are already in bad health then eating that Triple-By-Pass Burger is not a good decision.

I will eat some very unhealthy but very tasty food sometimes but it is my decision and I know to do so in moderation. I also burn a huge number of calories through exercise and I always get an extremely good report from the doctor every time I have a physical. Despite eating many greasy burgers and fries, lots of barbecue, etc., I have unusually low cholesterol, an extra low heart rate, and I have had the doctor suggest I put on a little more body fat. I told him that I was trying!

See y'all at The Varsity!

PS. That Triple-By-Pass Burger looked delicious, but how could one get their mouth open wide enough to take a bite of that thing?

Perfectly said!! On the article they even said that the restaurant have a sign that says our food is bad for your health, yeah probably most people think thats just a joke but the truth is, probably the person that got the heart attack isnt the perfect example of good health to beging with!!

as Buzz said do i always eat healthy food? no, theres to many yummy not healthy food out there BUT my normal day to day meals are healthy so i can allow myself to just indulge in those delicious guilty pleasures from time to time.

People CHOOSE what to eat and the amount that they are eating, so the only responsable person for what happens to them afterwards are them!!
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:03:34 PM

Just looking at the menu alone gives me a heart attack, you'd think people would see it and realise that it could be bad for their health.
Kitanica
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:30:08 PM

It's Darwinism. if people are that stupid they don't need to pass their genes on to future generations.
that's what she gets for drinking a margarita, smoking, and eating that food at the same time.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:16:12 PM

Side note; Darwin wasn't the one who introduced the term "Survival of the fittest." Can't remember the name of the chap who did though, but I know it wasn't him binky

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:48:36 PM

Herbert Spencer.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:57:26 PM

LadyX wrote:
Herbert Spencer.

Thank you =D and I think I might be in love with you now love10

Shibui
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:16:54 PM

Natural selection at work..................
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 3:33:00 PM

Things like this always disgust me. Almost as much as eating contests. They even have organizations that support such tripe. http://www.ifoce.com/contests.php Every year that they put the Nathan's hot dog contest on the news from Atlantic City, I want to shoot the television. When I think of the hungry people I've seen in my life that would stab a nun for a hot dog it just makes me sick.
Yeah, I'll be sitting back with WMM and Nicola just watching and waiting for the inevitable.
naughtynurse
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:20:19 PM

freedom includes the freedom to be and do stupid(things).

An Editor's Pick

My latest Recomended Read: Something Borrowed
charmbrights
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 2:29:22 AM

Gurlyboy wrote:
... Of course when you think about the repercussions from the point of view of the hospitals and that it costs a hell of a lot to rectify the heart attack victim's lack of caring, ...

Look how much it saves if a fool dies young, in not having to treat the diseases of senility, or pay out pensions, etc.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
joebackagain
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 2:02:18 PM

I dont see why the resteraunt should have to be concerned for the health of customers entering the resteraunt..but there should be regulations on how much shit is in your food. It is a combination of stupid people, unhealthy food and an obsession with being fat.... oh America, we salute you :P :P (i'm only playing...i dont want any blah blah blah america is great crap :D its just a joke :P )
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 7:02:46 PM

Shut up^^^^

laughing9

Ok ok... I just googled "America, Fuck yeah" and got these.

I don't think there should be a regulation to these kinds of places.
I only ask that they include an ingredient list... for us vegans/vegetarians.

People should know better... tards!

LadyX
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 7:35:34 PM

did somebody say "America, Fuck Yeah"? Whistle

Mrsmoodiver
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:19:42 PM

Weight and diet have become much more of a moral issue recently. Not really sure why this is?
Also I know it's not really the point but this issue has nothing to do with natural selection. There will always be people deemed unattractive/stupid/fat by society. If anything you could almost say they (plus me) are proof of the systems fallibility?