Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you rate other authors? Options · View
DarkSide
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:50:24 PM

I think the system of points is OK. The one thing I may change is that people who are logged into Lush have a 5 point system and those that are not can only vote Yes (Liked) or No (don't like) resulting in a 1 or 0, and don't leave them off the page until they vote - lol.

I don't mind voting low if I think the prose can be better written, so I have no worries on that score. I bet my stories could be better written too, but few people will actually give criticism. I don't mind it, as long as it's positive.

I welcome not only votes but comments. I would prefer more comments even if they point out the wrongs. I agree with Stephanie above, but comments more than votes encourage me to write more.

Very high votes, in my opinion tend to handed out for excellent stories no matter what topic they are under or for incest stories. That's one of my observations so far, and I have written both types of stories.

I often comment on stories that have explained things around the sex, but I also like punchy stories as well. I know I have commented on people's stories where I thought they handled topics like emotion, hesitation etc very well. It's not just the sex.

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal.
redhot363236
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:29:54 PM

Like any vote, I generally vote for the things that I like.
I seldom give less than a 4 and don't always have a particular comment to offer.
No rating system is perfect, but I'm pretty comfortable with the one we have

Let's look at the comments on a couple stories I have done:
"Whoo! Extremely arousing! The way you set the story up, developed the characters, built the sexual tension, and brought it all home is truly a work of art. Great job!"
The fact that it got 37 votes in a little over a month with an average score of 4.78 suggests that a number of readers agree

Another comment on the same story: "Scored with a 2 because: This story just didn't seem to fit the topic. Sure it involved married people, but it was straight sex, with no extra tension or forbiddeness to it."
This was a little disappointing, but I saw it as more a comment to the effect that this reader didn't find what he expected in that particular category than a mean spirited comment; with the suggestion that he might have given it a better rating in another category.
Personally, I didn't see that dwelling on the fact that they were sneaking around behind her husband's back would have added to the story; but that's one person's opinion.

A comment on another story: "Excellent build-up, sets the mood just perfect! The foreplay and oral sex is great, but the main event is way too short...more detail would have made this an outstanding story! Very good, to be sure, but could have been just a tad better."
He was right; and the slightly lower scoring of 4.59 tends to confirm that
It was 4 in the morning and I was anxious to finish the story.
I could have added more detail and at some point, I may go back and do so.
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 10:21:30 PM

always after i read
Michael
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 8:34:23 PM

I am the newbie here but I enjoy rating other stories, not the authors. If I finish the story I will rate it, usually well or else why would I have finished reading it... But, I also enjoy making a comment, usually favorable sometimes with an opinion on what I would have changed. I came here to get criticism and honest appraisals of my writing, feeling it is the best way to improve. If I comment, then I consider it an invitation for the author to read my stories and comment on them.

peachbuta
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 12:55:26 PM

I try to rate/score nearly every story I read. I appreciate everyone's insight into my work and thus feel as though it's my obligation to provide my own take on their writings. I really try to not give bad scores. Usually I stop reading something if it's poorly written/not of interest to me so it wouldn't be fair to score something I haven't completed.
Michael
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:22:27 PM

FtLMale wrote:
I am the newbie here but I enjoy rating other stories, not the authors. If I finish the story I will rate it, usually well or else why would I have finished reading it... But, I also enjoy making a comment, usually favorable sometimes with an opinion on what I would have changed. I came here to get criticism and honest appraisals of my writing, feeling it is the best way to improve. If I comment, then I consider it an invitation for the author to read my stories and comment on them.

Ok, nearly another full month here and my opinion has changed. I now shy away from saying what should be changed. It is a public forum and telling an author what you might have changed in public is likely to hurt them. Authors are a serious group and quite easily hurt. I now would rather say what I like in a story and don't mention the other areas. As authors, they should be astute enough to read between the lines. If I do have serious constructive thoughts, I email the author direct (in private). Most appreciate it and don't seek revenge.

But, it pains me that anyone can vote an amazing story low! I have read some truly amazing stories here that were rated low 4's. Why? In the past any low score required a comment, now that has been stripped away.

I think if someone is willing to vote, they should be willing to comment.
All votes need to have the voters comments beside them. Only then would their be a fair voting system here.

But that is just my opinion and aliens don't have rights, Yet!

Do you rate other authors?
Yes, but with reservation.

tashitasha
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 12:23:31 PM

I rate the story, not the author. I don't really like giving negative comments. I'm more likely going to message them politely to let them know what seemed to be lacking than post a negative comment which everybody else can view.

I appreciate it a lot when another author reads and comments on my story especially when many of them published some great works and I'm like wow! he/she actually bothered to read my story! yaaay!!!

My Entry for the competition: The Mystery of The Abandoned Manor

Do you like Mystery, danger & hot sex? Then why don't you try my Novel? (work in progress) : When The Truth Hurts

Can Crystal resist handsome, married Gary? Find out here: A Night of Forbidden Passion

A professional thief, a seductive woman who knows how to use all her assets to get what she wants, when she wants it: A Flawless Plan

p90sex90
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 9:59:22 AM

Since I started to write stories a few months ago I always try to write a comment and rate the story I read. I also like to see what other people wrote about the story I just read. I enjoy reading the comments that people write about my stories.
p90sex90
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:34:54 PM

Since I have started to write, I rate and leave comments on almost all the stories I read. Personally I love to see comments on my stories, so this is a big motivation to do the same.
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:35:05 PM

I comment on every story I read. I also try very hard to learn from all that I read and/or what gets left on my stories.
Spleen_Muse
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:59:05 AM

Yes.

As you rate the other autor, u make note of what you could do better in your owns stories.

Vacation with Teens