Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Teacher convicted of sex with 18yr old students Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:59:01 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/4/2010
Posts: 6,373
Location: Alabama, United States
Teacher convicted of consensual sex with legal adult

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A former Texas high school teacher was convicted Friday after having sex with five 18-year-old students at her home.

It took the jury less than an hour to conclude that Brittni Nicole Colleps, 28, of Arlington, was guilty of 16 counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.

Sentencing was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

The former Kennedale High School English teacher had sex with the students at her home over two months in 2011, authorities said.

Colleps is married and has three children. She turned herself in after a cellphone video of one encounter that involved multiple students emerged. That video was shown a trial.

Three former students who testified Thursday said that they did not consider themselves victims and did not want to see their former English teacher prosecuted. The three were football and track athletes.

Arlington police Detective Jason Houston testified that charges were filed because "18 or not, it's a crime" for a teacher to have sex with her students.

Two former students told jurors their relationships with Colleps began with the exchange of text messages that quickly turned sexual.

A 19-year-old testified that he had gone to Colleps' home twice with friends and they all engaged in sexual conduct.

A former student who is now 20 testified that he engaged in group sex and recorded his last encounter on a cellphone. He said initially the students spoke of the importance of keeping their activities quiet because they didn't want their teacher to get in trouble.

The 20-year-old also said when school officials called him into the office to question him in May 2011, he denied the trysts at first because "I was trying to save her."

Colleps' husband was serving in the military overseas at the time of the encounters. Christopher Colleps said Friday that he is mad at his wife, but stands by her "because 'til death do us part means 'til death do us part."

Putting her in jail would punish him and their children for something they had no control over, he said.

Kennedale is a town of about 7,300 residents near Arlington, eight miles southeast of Fort Worth. The high school has about 3,200 students.

===============

Should she be convicted of a crime? The victims do not claim victimhood nor wanted her prosecuted. Should she have lost her job? Yea, probably. But is she a sex offender? Not too sure about that. If these 18yr olds could have dropped out of school and gone into the military and war, they should be able to bang whomever they wish. Or is it unacceptable of the teacher regardless of the students' legal adult age?







When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
hamz
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:18:32 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 5/16/2012
Posts: 83
Location: New Zealand
If it was a consensual act between adults - then I do not see why she should be sent to prison. It seems like a blind enforcement of an archaic law - I hope there is enough public support in US to change such laws! Feel sorry for the teacher.
ramrod32784
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:35:03 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/29/2012
Posts: 558
Location: Fl, United States
I disagree it may be archaic but the law says students if it were a male teacher there would be no question he would have his tail in prison
Juicyme
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:21:04 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 2/7/2011
Posts: 177
Location: between a rock and grad school applications, Unite
I think that because these are consenting adults, (they can go to war, they can buy a gun, and they can buy porn), then no, she should not be prosecuted. Loose her job, sure but not go to jail. If the teacherr was a male, I'd say the same thing. this isn't a Mary Kay letourneo situation where the kids are underage, these are all adults. This is just another way of the government intruding into someone's personal life. These are adults, if she had sex when they were 17 then that's different.
Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:52:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,106
The reason this law exists is because the teacher is in a position of power over the students. The teacher could threaten to fail the student, or at the very least, make the student's life difficult. I agree with this being considered at crime, but don't believe the person should be considered a sex offender. That seems harsh.
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:16:03 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/16/2010
Posts: 293
Location: Longview, United States
Rembacher wrote:
The reason this law exists is because the teacher is in a position of power over the students. The teacher could threaten to fail the student, or at the very least, make the student's life difficult. I agree with this being considered at crime, but don't believe the person should be considered a sex offender. That seems harsh.

I endorse that the authority of the teacher is somehow substituting the free will.
There are ethical codes for being a decent teacher, which we should adhere to.
Otherwise we can all have choice of another profession and leave this profession for ethical persons.
Jack_42
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:06:54 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/21/2009
Posts: 986
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Good grief is the age of consent 18 in the US? I feel teachers for this age group are more like colleagues unless they use some really outmoded forms of discipline. If you get thrown in gaol for having sex with colleagues there would be a huge overcrowding problem in prisons. Also I can't think of anyone who hasn't fancied a teacher at one time or another so I think the authorities are being a bit mealy mouthed with their hypocritical ethics and regarding a possible sentence of 20 years why not make it really biblical and stone the poor woman - ah the quote that evokes. As for power over the students that kind of corruption or misuse applies to all branches of authority and there has to be a redress of grievance procedure in place.The only shame is the pratt who recorded it on his cell phone what a berk.
Icarus32
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:41:23 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/10/2012
Posts: 257
Location: Around, Canada
I agree with nazhinaz, she is in a situation of power over her students, which is why it should be illegal, even if it is consensual. Its the same reason that most work places heavily discourage relationships between employees, especially between employees of different rank. At the very least she should be fired, and barred from taking further teaching positions.

However I don't know if she should be labeled as a sex offender.
Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:26:03 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,385
Location: United States
I also agree with nazhinaz that a teacher should be held to a set of standards that include not having sex with her students. If it were a male teacher having sex with this many female students would people still be saying that the age of consent made the fact that he was their teacher more or less irrelevant?

Eighteen is certainly old enough to make a decision about whether or not to have sex. Girls and boys are equally capable of making decisions about their own sexuality. A society has an interest in protecting it's children from predators, and there are plenty of people in positions of power that will use that position to get sex. There is a reason for laws that prohibit sex between teachers and students. There is not an equality of consent between a person in power and a person under that person's power.

Brittni Nicole Colleps may not have consciously used her position to get the young men to have sex with her, and I am certain that none of them had sex with her against his will, but if we are to maintain an equality of benefits we also have to maintain an equality of responsibility. She knew that she wasn't supposed to have sex with students, but she did anyway. She knew that she was doing something that could get her not only fired but locked up. She didn't care enough about her job or her family to stay out of that kind of situation.

She should be fired and never allowed to teach again. Whether or not she should be labeled a sex offender is a different issue. If she were a man, Quenton2123, would you still think that? Should the law be changed? If so, should it apply equally to male and female teachers who have sex with students past the age of consent. The age of consent varies from state to state. Should we allow teachers to have sex with students above the age of consent in the state where they live? The laws aren't to keep 18 year olds from having sex, they are to keep teachers from preying on students.
hamz
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:47:04 PM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 5/16/2012
Posts: 83
Location: New Zealand
hamz wrote:
If it was a consensual act between adults - then I do not see why she should be sent to prison. It seems like a blind enforcement of an archaic law - I hope there is enough public support in US to change such laws! Feel sorry for the teacher.


Just to clarify on my previous comment: Considering that there were multiple students involved, I agree that there is an ethical issue here and she can not be allowed to continue as a school teacher. But the question is - should she be labelled as a sex offender or sent to prison? I think not. She should possibly get a community service or something and barred from teaching that's all.
If she is sent to prison for 20 years - I think that will be grossly unjust and almost medieval!


Kitanica
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:11:45 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 881
Location: The Sprawl, United States
Position of power? That's bullshit.

"oh no I'll fail my class if I don't stick it to my hot English teacher!"

Seriously? That's not a threat. Especially not in today's culture to a man. People today are sluts. Sounds like a law from before 1920 when women were being promiscuous if you could see their ankles. Also if a guy thinks that being threatened with a more difficult time because he won't have sex with her is actually going to happen then he deserves to be victimized. It would take him about a minute to leave class and go tell the principal, if your 18 and can't figure that out Darwinism is already ticking away on you my friend and your gonna feed many a leopard cub.

blazestcyr
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:33:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/19/2011
Posts: 737
Location: where bugs die
don't have sex with a student regardless of THEIR age..at best u will get fired...worst u will go to jail...keep it to a lush story...
MrNudiePants
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:21:37 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,141
Location: United States
Rembacher wrote:
The reason this law exists is because the teacher is in a position of power over the students. The teacher could threaten to fail the student, or at the very least, make the student's life difficult. I agree with this being considered at crime, but don't believe the person should be considered a sex offender. That seems harsh.


I can understand the idea that obtaining sex by coercion should be illegal. I don't understand why sex between consenting adults is illegal because of the job one of those people happens to hold. I can also understand that a teacher having sex with his or her students violates a trust that the student's parents place in that teacher. We trust our teachers with our most precious possessions, and we assume their behavior will be above reproach.

I can understand firing the teacher, and I can even understand taking her license and somehow noting the fact so that she'll be forever barred from becoming a teacher in any public school again. But I seriously do not understand jailing her and imprisoning her as if she were a violent criminal. If those students were coerced into the act by threat of retribution, it's a different story. That should be a crime. But simple sex? I just don't get it.

Guest
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 12:10:18 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,411
seems like blatant over reaction, especially the sex offender part. they were students sure, but all of em consented and all of em were 18. there is no sex crime there.
Kennny
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:23:46 AM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 8/19/2012
Posts: 11
I think the law needs changing to allow the mental capacity of the student to be considered. These 5 students were athletes... NOT students with diminished mental capacity... and I don't blame them... she's CUTE!
Jack_42
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:39:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/21/2009
Posts: 986
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Kennny wrote:
I think the law needs changing to allow the mental capacity of the student to be considered. These 5 students were athletes... NOT students with diminished mental capacity... and I don't blame them... she's CUTE!



[Seems to be the only other realistic and down to earth appraisal around here which for a sex site full of wishful thinking stories re teachers I find somewhat confusing]
Jack_42
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:43:26 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/21/2009
Posts: 986
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Quenton2123 wrote:
I agree with nazhinaz, she is in a situation of power over her students, which is why it should be illegal, even if it is consensual.[ Its the same reason that most work places heavily discourage relationships between employees, especially between employees of different rank.] Thank god some draconian idiot hasn't managed to pass that as law love the military reference] At the very least she should be fired, and barred from taking further teaching positions.

However I don't know if she should be labeled as a sex offender.
allinabout18times
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 8:22:41 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 2/2/2011
Posts: 53
If you think it's OK to have sex with your students - of any age - then I think you're out of touch. Personally, I do not think it OK for a college professor to have sex w/one of their students - it's all about power - or the possibility - over others. So - forget it. It's wrong, and should be. Very poor judgment on her part!

"If you don't do the roadwork in the dark of the morning, you get found out under the bright lights." Joe Frazier
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 10:00:23 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,908
Location: California
Kennny wrote:
I think the law needs changing to allow the mental capacity of the student to be considered. These 5 students were athletes... NOT students with diminished mental capacity... and I don't blame them... she's CUTE!


Really? I clicked on the link just because you said that and, no.

She looks like a young man that decided to do meth for 5 months and didn't cut his hair. She has total meth face going on.

Gross.



Guest
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:12:31 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,411
MrNudiePants wrote:


I can understand the idea that obtaining sex by coercion should be illegal. I don't understand why sex between consenting adults is illegal because of the job one of those people happens to hold. I can also understand that a teacher having sex with his or her students violates a trust that the student's parents place in that teacher. We trust our teachers with our most precious possessions, and we assume their behavior will be above reproach.

I can understand firing the teacher, and I can even understand taking her license and somehow noting the fact so that she'll be forever barred from becoming a teacher in any public school again. But I seriously do not understand jailing her and imprisoning her as if she were a violent criminal. If those students were coerced into the act by threat of retribution, it's a different story. That should be a crime. But simple sex? I just don't get it.



thumbup
Ruthie
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 4:07:31 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,385
Location: United States
Magical_felix wrote:


Really? I clicked on the link just because you said that and, no.

She looks like a young man that decided to do meth for 5 months and didn't cut his hair. She has total meth face going on.

Gross.


You're right. I know that this poor woman can't help looking like she does, but she could avoid situations that would keep her out of the national news. Maybe she looks better in makeup though.
Ruthie
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 4:09:39 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,385
Location: United States
This picture of her in court looks better.
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:33:29 AM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 4,908
Location: California
CoopsRuthie wrote:
This picture of her in court looks better.


Maybe shes born with it... Maybe its Maybelline (A truck load of Maybelline).



elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:52:56 AM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,620
Location: Burrowed, Norway
Fire her arse and send her to jail. She's abusing her authority as a teacher to satisfy her own sexual needs. When you're a teacher you can make an impression on kids that no other adult can. You're not just a grown up, but you're a grown up that connects with them. The kids can come to the teacher with any kind of problem and in some cases the teacher knows the kid better than the parent. If the teacher wants to then it's not really a problem coercing the kid to bed. What if it was a shrink? Or a doctor? It's the same kind of manipulation.

And in the US you're obviously not considered responsible enough to have a beer until you're 21 and we all know that we were far from mature at 18. She knew very well what the rules were when she became a teacher, and she knowingly broke the law. The teacher has a certain control over the still immature kid, even when they're 18, and she abused it. Keep the law and send her ass to jail.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:46:01 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,411
Well we really have to look at this from a few different point of views. why was she doing it? was there love involved. tbh sex between teachers and students...kind of a stupid rule, really its just there to stop kids from not focusing on the task at hand, but if u have a look at schools throughout the world that internet access and all, ull find kids with pornography, games and other "distracting" material. under those reasons then i would say give her a pardon, since the people who were doing it with her were legel and consented. BUT if we were to look at it from the point of view that we stop these acts from going ahead to set and example...kinda useless i mean c'mon, schools are full of horny teenagers who cant wait to whip it out, sex happens in school, no doubt about it, it is unavoidable, and once that happens wat are the authorities gonna do then? kick the children out from the school becuase they succumbed to their basic animal instincts? so really, i dunno, give her a pardon i guess, BUT tell her not to do it again as it will cause many many problems. oh and to the readers who read this rant, this may have sounded very confusing soooo yeah sorry XD
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:53:39 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 537,411
Lucky kids!
elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:01:23 AM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,620
Location: Burrowed, Norway
infamous wrote:
Well we really have to look at this from a few different point of views. why was she doing it? was there love involved. tbh sex between teachers and students...kind of a stupid rule, really its just there to stop kids from not focusing on the task at hand, but if u have a look at schools throughout the world that internet access and all, ull find kids with pornography, games and other "distracting" material. under those reasons then i would say give her a pardon, since the people who were doing it with her were legel and consented. BUT if we were to look at it from the point of view that we stop these acts from going ahead to set and example...kinda useless i mean c'mon, schools are full of horny teenagers who cant wait to whip it out, sex happens in school, no doubt about it, it is unavoidable, and once that happens wat are the authorities gonna do then? kick the children out from the school becuase they succumbed to their basic animal instincts? so really, i dunno, give her a pardon i guess, BUT tell her not to do it again as it will cause many many problems. oh and to the readers who read this rant, this may have sounded very confusing soooo yeah sorry XD


The problem isn't teenagers having sex. You're missing the point. The problem is a teacher having sex with a student. There's a difference.

I'm sure some of you have kids. How would you feel if your kid was at a position where he/she was having problems in life? Maybe a break up and the only person he/she confides in is the teacher. At this highly vulnerable point how difficult would it be for the teacher to talk the student in to sex? If know I'd have a fit. If that's not abusing your position then I dunno what is. Kids at that age are vulnerable whether we like it or not. Add a trusting authority figure and you don't have to be an expert at manipulation to get laid.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
roydz
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:02:44 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 6/12/2012
Posts: 4
Location: United Kingdom
We've all fantasised about sex with a teacher when we're a student, that's where it should stay a fantasy. Unless we've left the place of education then anything goes. This woman should loose her job as a teacher as she's in a position of trust. If it was a male that had sex with an 18 yo girl everyone would be saying he should know better!

What I don't agree with is sending her to prison as it was consensual sex. I feel sorry for her husband and their kids. But she knows the rules.
keoloke
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:50:23 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/12/2010
Posts: 599
Location: United States
Yes, she's a bad wife. I do not know if she's also a bad teacher.
Yes, she had an inappropriate intimate relationship with her students.
Yes, she should loose her job for ethical reasons.
No, she should not serve time in jail. Period

We don't know any longer how to reason. We got 17 years old young men (called kids) that kill people and not tried as adults, and 18 years old men that have sex with their teachers... They are fine and the teacher can go to jail for 20 years. We lost it.

A former president was tried because he lied under oath not because he was a bad husband.

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:01:04 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,141
Location: United States
elitfromnorth wrote:


The problem isn't teenagers having sex. You're missing the point. The problem is a teacher having sex with a student. There's a difference.

I'm sure some of you have kids. How would you feel if your kid was at a position where he/she was having problems in life? Maybe a break up and the only person he/she confides in is the teacher. At this highly vulnerable point how difficult would it be for the teacher to talk the student in to sex? If know I'd have a fit. If that's not abusing your position then I dunno what is. Kids at that age are vulnerable whether we like it or not. Add a trusting authority figure and you don't have to be an expert at manipulation to get laid.


Everyone agrees that she violated a moral trust, and that she isn't fit to be responsible for our kids' safety. But does she really deserve 20 years in a hardcore prison for her "crime"? When people that shoot other people do half that?

Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.