Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Women's Only Gyms. Discrimination, or not? Options · View
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2011 5:09:52 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

Define strange? I'm not a stranger but maybe I am strange. Does that disqualify me? What if something happens and you need a hand? I'd only be there to support you as a friend in your time of need.

Strange= anyone not living with me. evil4
And the only way I want a hand is if you do this so I don't have to get near a strange seat!

Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:58:45 PM

short answer, when it's between the sexes then discrimination is ok when it's only againist men
nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:29:43 AM

I believe we should not view the issue from discriminatory angle.
Gyms are meant for work out; if peopl ( I mean men & girls) prefer to work out together, let them join a Co Gym.
If some one posting views as Mazza and Sluty Sara have; they should have the choice of joining a girls only Gym.
After all open society is for choices.
Let Gyms too be part of open society.
Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:30:31 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
Yes, discrimination. There are forms of "acceptable" discrimination going on everyday all over the world. Let the women have Curves For Women. Let the men have Augusta National. If Curves was the only workout facility in the world and they banned men, then it would be unfair. If Augusta National were the only golf course in the world and they banned women, then it would be a problem. Any man can workout in nearly every other gym around. Any woman can play golf at nearly every other course around. And since both are private businesses, they should be allowed to pick their desired clientele.

There are men's only gyms. You can Google it and find them in different cities. There are gyms which cater to gay men, and gyms which cater to body builders and boxers. That's fine with me.

The issues of the Augusta National Golf Club are different.

The Augusta National Golf Club only allows male members. The CEO of IBM is a woman. Previous CEOs of IBM, which is a sponsor of the Masters Tournament, have been offered memberships in the Augusta National Golf Club. Does Ginny Rometty deserve the same consideration that previous CEOs of IBM received? Is business carried out at the Augusta National Golf Course? Do women's careers suffer because they aren't allowed to join the club?

overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:13:55 AM

Of course it's discrimination - as a man i am being pre-judged as someone who will gain some kind of sexual gratification from seeing women in my gym.

Is that a bad thing, I don't see it myself. This is more to do with legislation designed to make society fairer, being out of step public attitudes. Of course if public attitudes towards discrimination was in step with legislation we wouldn't need it!

The purpose of anti-discrimination laws is NOT to homogenise us as some would suggest - to make us any less of a man, a lesbian, a muslim or whatever - the purpose of them is to make sure that everyone of these groups has access to society on an equal footing. Unfortunately this tends to fly in the face of our in-built need to position ourselves in society through status.

Allowing discrimination to help people enjoy what most of us take for granted is, for me, acceptable. Discrimination that encourages elitism and subjugation is not.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
littlemissbitch
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:52:59 AM

menarealwaysignorged wrote:
short answer, when it's between the sexes then discrimination is ok when it's only againist men

excuse me dear...but it will be a cold day in hell that I as a woman will ever be allowed to play golf at Augusta National Golf Course so.........

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:16:46 PM

menarealwaysignorged wrote:

aww... someone's got a chip on their shoulder and you're right, i've NEVER been discriminate against as a woman - of course, i don't get paid as much as men doing the same job, but that's different, right?

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
Shylass
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:52:27 PM

I haven't read the posts, I'll probably get upset, but here's my contribution to the title:

When I used to go to the gym, I always went when it opened at 6am, because I didn't want anybody (and I mean anybody) looking at me whilst I worked out. I used to do my warm-down walking home because I couldn't bear to do it in the gym as people began arriving and might look at me and think awful things, and maybe say them.

When I get shouted at and horrible things said to me in the street, it is always, always a man who says it in my adult life. I have never had a female stranger say anything to my face or so I could hear it, it is always men. I cannot stand the thought of having to work out in front of people who might say those things, or worse, in my opinion, be thinking them. I cannot control people's thoughts nor be invisible, but I can remove myself from situations and places where people saying things is likely to happen. I have been discriminated against because of how I look, and I should have the option to work out in a tailored-to-my-needs setting, as should everybody, in my opinion.

I can't go to a gym any more, but if I could, I would want it to be women-only gym, if not just for me. Whilst I find women can be bitchy and nastier than men in general, I feel more at ease working out in front of them if I can't avoid them.

I would have no problem with a man going to a men-only gym, or thingies going to a thingy-only gym. I am sure there are lads and thingies who feel the same as me about themselves, and if we have a chance to feel emotionally comfortable when we work on our physical fitness, I can't see why it's a problem.

If I was rich, I would have my own gym that caters for my needs and (lack of) abilities, and then I would discriminate against everybody and use it alone. So there. sunny

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:49:41 AM

littlemissbitch wrote:

excuse me dear...but it will be a cold day in hell that I as a woman will ever be allowed to play golf at Augusta National Golf Course so.........

If it makes you feel any better, I won't ever be allowed to play Augusta National either.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
littlemissbitch
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:03:31 AM

that is not the point LM....and how about another fed ex package sometimes soon? ;)

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:05:12 AM

littlemissbitch wrote:
that is not the point LM....and how about another fed ex package sometimes soon? ;)

I love fed ex packages, I'm starting to get a crush on the hot FedEx driver because of all the deliveries.

littlemissbitch
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:16:26 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

I love fed ex packages, I'm starting to get a crush on the hot FedEx driver because of all the deliveries.

i totally want a 3 way with my fed ex and ups drivers! ;)

Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:36:02 AM

CoopsRuthie wrote:

There are men's only gyms. You can Google it and find them in different cities. There are gyms which cater to gay men, and gyms which cater to body builders and boxers. That's fine with me.

The issues of the Augusta National Golf Club are different.

The Augusta National Golf Club only allows male members. The CEO of IBM is a woman. Previous CEOs of IBM, which is a sponsor of the Masters Tournament, have been offered memberships in the Augusta National Golf Club. Does Ginny Rometty deserve the same consideration that previous CEOs of IBM received? Is business carried out at the Augusta National Golf Course? Do women's careers suffer because they aren't allowed to join the club?

^ This. Sometimes exclusivity is discriminatory, sometimes it's not. The golf club situation is discriminatory for the reasons mentioned above. A gay male club is not, a women's only gym is not, as this is done for the feeling of safety it brings to it's members, not to cut a certain demographic of people out.
lafayettemister
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 7:01:26 AM

MissFetching wrote:

^ This. Sometimes exclusivity is discriminatory, sometimes it's not. The golf club situation is discriminatory for the reasons mentioned above. A gay male club is not, a women's only gym is not, as this is done for the feeling of safety it brings to it's members, not to cut a certain demographic of people out.

Safety from what? Straight men? Are straight men so dangerous? If women and gay men need protection and safekeeping from straight men then everything and everywhere should be segregated. Gay Walmart, Women's Only Burger King, Evil Doer... errr Straight Men Waffle House. It's not like there's an over abundance of gym violence across the world. It is to cut a certain demographic out, there's no question about that. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Discrimination is discrimination. Whenever it's done in the disgues of "protection" it's a ruse to justify it. Some forms of discrimination are more acceptable than others. But it IS discrimination. I'd be worred about golf it women were banned from playing entirely everywhere. One club that bans women isn't a problem. Truth be told, there are rumors that Augusta DOES have female members but their membership policy is so secretive, no one knows for sure. Women's only gyms are fine too. If men were barred from all gyms then there'd be a problem. A dude can find plenty places that are coed.

littlemissbitch
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 7:47:12 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Safety from what? Straight men? Are straight men so dangerous? If women and gay men need protection and safekeeping from straight men then everything and everywhere should be segregated. Gay Walmart, Women's Only Burger King, Evil Doer... errr Straight Men Waffle House. It's not like there's an over abundance of gym violence across the world. It is to cut a certain demographic out, there's no question about that. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Discrimination is discrimination. Whenever it's done in the disgues of "protection" it's a ruse to justify it. Some forms of discrimination are more acceptable than others. But it IS discrimination. I'd be worred about golf it women were banned from playing entirely everywhere. One club that bans women isn't a problem. Truth be told, there are rumors that Augusta DOES have female members but their membership policy is so secretive, no one knows for sure. Women's only gyms are fine too. If men were barred from all gyms then there'd be a problem. A dude can find plenty places that are coed.

i dont believe it...not in a million years! i mean they just became interracial in the last couple decades and that was only to keep their PGA standing. no way those old white southern moneyed men are letting women be members..

Shylass
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 8:56:42 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

For me, it's safety from the bigger worry that people (always men in my adult life) will say awful things to me and laugh in my face. I sometimes can't go places with my friends because things like that have helped make what should be normal parts of life become a battle to just leave the house. Malicious or ignorant discrimination is unfair as I see it (having just woken up from a deep sleep so I'm dozier than usual), but a discrimination to help one group of people achieve something imperative to their health and body image is okay in my eyes. Maybe if I wasn't me, I'd feel differently, but I am and I don't.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Frank
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:22:13 AM

Quote:
Women's Only Gyms. Discrimination, or not?

Not at all, as long as there is somewhere to keep waiting males. Allowing a degree of inclusion.
Maybe a viewing gallery with beer fridge! toast

Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you.
Aldous Huxley

lafayettemister
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:28:55 AM

Shylass wrote:

For me, it's safety from the bigger worry that people (always men in my adult life) will say awful things to me and laugh in my face. I sometimes can't go places with my friends because things like that have helped make what should be normal parts of life become a battle to just leave the house. Malicious or ignorant discrimination is unfair as I see it (having just woken up from a deep sleep so I'm dozier than usual), but a discrimination to help one group of people achieve something imperative to their health and body image is okay in my eyes. Maybe if I wasn't me, I'd feel differently, but I am and I don't.

Women's only gyms don't bother me. Like I said earlier, if I want to work out I can find somewhere to do it. If one place prefers to not have my business for one reason or another, that's their choice. However, there is no real difference between malicious or ignorant discrimination and "helpful" discrimination. It is what it is, discrimination. Very dangerous territory to have discrimination that helps one group achieve something imperative to their health....... Any thing that "helps" one group at the expense of another group is an open invitation to abuse. Any one group can claim to want to exclude women or men or blacks or gay people based on the health of the original group. If that becomes ok and acceptable then we'll have an entire society of segragation and separation. Not where I want to live.

If a man or men say awful things to you in a gym or any other setting, give it right back to them. There's no excuse or reason that random men would attack you or anyone like that. Just like on Lush, if someone is disrespectful or crosses the line, you report them. Have the dude removed from the gym or his membership revoked. That's how you handle assholes. Not by removing yourself from society, fuck that. Don't let a small percentage of tools guide how you live.

Tiepinkraider
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:54:38 PM

Jack_42 wrote:
As long as there are men only gyms then the the idea of women only gyms doesn't bother me atall. However I feel that going to any gym sounds pretentious. If you need to exercise you can do it at home for free - not pay out money for silly machines and designer exercise clothing etc. I suspect that there is a degree of exhibitionism and fashion (which is definitely pretentious) in this orgy of exercise in public (although I would consider playing a sport a more acceptable public form of exercise (not that I play sport) :)) Most people who over exercise seem to keel over at an early age. As for the idea of being ogled which a lot of writers mention; surely that would apply to gay members of eithor gender - is it ok to be ogled by the same sex - is that not equally offensive? Though there again someone might be flattered; it's nice to be fancied no matter what gender is doing the fancying (even though I feel mainly straight). In other words it's practically impossible to be politically correct - I am probably crossing the boundaries at this very moment and offending all those who get in their environment spoiling vehicles to drive to the gym to do the exercise lacking from driving around instead of walking.

You definitely need to exercise...you head and your body, as your erroneous presumptions about gyms abound.
No, you can't workout at home as well as in the gym, because there are professional trainers to help you select and perform the exercises your lazy body needs. And, why don't you play a sport?
Ogling is optional. Some people like to be seen and some don't. Just don't be one of the offensive ogglers, regardless of you gender preferences.
And, if you wish, run to the gym to save the environment.
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 9:29:24 AM

Augusta National announces today that they have accepted membership to it's first ever female member. Condoleeza Rice and Darla Moore.

beowulf69
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 7:08:38 PM

i think there should be women's only gyms as well as men's only gyms.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx