Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poll Question : Book Exchanges - good or bad?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes, ultimately more people read, authors benefit 12 100 %
No, I don't think it's good 0 0 %
Something else 0 0 %

Book Exchanges - good or bad? Options · View
mrplow
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 5:14:05 AM

I went to a local restaurant the other day, and noticed they have set up a book exchange outside. Big wooden book shelf, rules for exchanges, the lot.

I love the idea. You get to take books others have left, can bring the books you no longer have a use for etc, and everyone benefits, right?

Well, I felt a bit guilty that authors aren't going to benefit from having their books given away, however, more people will read their work, and they should get more readers and sales as a result. A lot of paperbacks I've read end up in the bin.

Overall, I think the concept is a good thing. What do you think?
She
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 5:28:54 AM

Love the idea! It is so poetically romantic, isn't it.
I am really old school and big fan of paper books, I am giving my away constantly.. "
"You haven't read it?!!? you cannot be serious, give me a sec, let me bring it too you!" hahah, that is how I sound when talking with people, lol.

In my home town, we have library that is visited a lot, and they have the same system..They are giving books away, receiving you dont want.. Few lounge bars have book shells as well, you can bring yours, however, not sure if you can take, borrow for sure..

Anyway, I think it is lovely when people exchanging books :)

I don't think authors will suffer big deal of a damage.. If book is good, I will want to have it in my private library (so I can give it away when needed, lol)

WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 7:17:04 AM

Before the internet was common place...I'd spend entire weekend mornings or afternoons, at a public library. Unintended discoveries and mini-vacations reside at locations like this.

I used to think I'd like to have built up a personal library in my home and for many years in my 20s, I was doing just that. Until I realized that nobody else was benefiting from me hoarding all those pages.

I've given away every book (save three which I could not bear to let out of my grasp) evil4 which I ever purchased, easily over 500 in all, and I hope other people have enjoyed them and also returned them to the community book pile.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
nicola
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 5:41:41 PM

We had one in the last place I worked, I gave away a lot of my books to the cause.

Strangely, almost nobody had the same taste in literature that I have, and I rarely picked up anything I considered worth reading. "Yay, the entire Twilight Series is here"....NOT!

Over 90% of people think it's a good idea to have a book exchange at your workplace, yet only around 20% have them in place.

Here's how to do it for those that are interested: http://www.worksmart.org.uk/bookswap/
Ruthie
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:30:39 PM

I think book exchanges are a great idea. I love libraries too. I'd love to be able to afford to buy new books all the time, but I have to restrict myself to just the ones I really really want. The library and the book exchange helps me by letting me read things I otherwise couldn't because I couldn't afford a new copy. I usually donate the new books I've bought and finished reading to the local library sale though rather than a book exchange. They need the money that the used book sales generate because there have been so many budget cutbacks. Library used book sales are great places to pick up bargains.
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 9:43:47 PM

Anything that circulates thoughts and ideas is a good thing. The proliferation of literacy is so much more than just sales and capitalism.
She
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:29:26 AM

WellMadeMale wrote:

I've given away every book (save three which I could not bear to let out of my grasp) evil4 which I ever purchased, easily over 500 in all, and I hope other people have enjoyed them and also returned them to the community book pile.

Willing to share which three you saved? Right now I am reading great one, Competent Child by Jesper Juul, highly recommend it for parents, future parents or people like me who wants to know why are they fucked up as they are, heheh (a joke!)
I completely understand that craving to poses books, however, I dont own them as much as you did..
My first post could be read that I have spent fortune on books, not really, I love second hand books, sales on streets.. so the whole online trade is really not for me, but happy that exists.
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:55:33 AM

i love this idea,because i read a lot of books and my shelves r full,i thought i would love to read some books again and again,believe me,i tried to read my favs,just couldnt because,once i start reading,iam getting the next things and iam missing the feel i once had,so i have to say,i never read a book for second time unless my text books....so better to put them to use and benefit reciprocally