Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Teacher convicted of sex with 18yr old students Options · View
elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:22:37 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:

Everyone agrees that she violated a moral trust, and that she isn't fit to be responsible for our kids' safety. But does she really deserve 20 years in a hardcore prison for her "crime"? When people that shoot other people do half that?

I never said maximum security and the length of the sentence. I agree that it would be wrong if she has to spend 20 years in prison while a killer spends 10 years. But that's a different debate.

The question is should she go to jail or not? I say she should, because the law is there to make sure that you can send your kids to school without having to worry about if their teacher is gonna try to trick them into bed. Are people gonna say that every 18yo is out of danger of being used and manipulated?

Bottom line is: she broke the law. She knew that by fucking these guys she risked going to jail. She still did it. And like it's been said earlier. If it had been a male teacher fucking girls the debate wouldn't exist. How's that for equality?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
nazhinaz
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:47:30 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:

I never said maximum security and the length of the sentence. I agree that it would be wrong if she has to spend 20 years in prison while a killer spends 10 years. But that's a different debate.

The question is should she go to jail or not? I say she should, because the law is there to make sure that you can send your kids to school without having to worry about if their teacher is gonna try to trick them into bed. Are people gonna say that every 18yo is out of danger of being used and manipulated?

Bottom line is: she broke the law. She knew that by fucking these guys she risked going to jail. She still did it. And like it's been said earlier. If it had been a male teacher fucking girls the debate wouldn't exist. How's that for equality?

I endorse your arguments.
I would like to add, her crime is more henious than of a murderer. A killer kills a man; she killed the faith and confidence of all those who send their kids to school without fear that they would be used or molested.
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:12:00 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

I would like to add, her crime is more henious than of a murderer. A killer kills a man; she killed the faith and confidence of all those who send their kids to school without fear that they would be used or molested.

Let's not get carried away. Consentual sex is hardly worse or even comparable to murder. She should definitely lose her job but she's not a predator. Whether or not she had a position of power can be debated.

In our current globally technological world, you can bet these guys know the internet. Facebook, twitter, youtube. It could be argued that if a teacher propostioned a student and threatened him with payback if he declined, the student would have the power. One tweet, text message, facebook message, whatever broadcast on social media and the teacher is the one in hot water. The mere accusation of a sexual offense is enough to tarnish a person's name forever. A kid could easily tell a teacher, "give me an A on my exam or I'll tell my parents and the principal that you touched me". Most teachers would report the kid immediatly and solve the issue. Some teachers would do it just to protect their name and job.

Like I said, i think she should lose her job and not be able to teach again. But, the kids were 18. They knew what they were doing and they wanted it to happen. When I was 18, if a teacher had made advances to me and I had a chance to fuck her, you can bet your ass I'd have done it. If the teacher was a man and the kids were 18yr old girls, i'd feel the same. The gender is irrelevant. Or at least it should be.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:22:53 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Let's not get carried away. Consentual sex is hardly worse or even comparable to murder. She should definitely lose her job but she's not a predator. Whether or not she had a position of power can be debated.

In our current globally technological world, you can bet these guys know the internet. Facebook, twitter, youtube. It could be argued that if a teacher propostioned a student and threatened him with payback if he declined, the student would have the power. One tweet, text message, facebook message, whatever broadcast on social media and the teacher is the one in hot water. The mere accusation of a sexual offense is enough to tarnish a person's name forever. A kid could easily tell a teacher, "give me an A on my exam or I'll tell my parents and the principal that you touched me". Most teachers would report the kid immediatly and solve the issue. Some teachers would do it just to protect their name and job.

Like I said, i think she should lose her job and not be able to teach again. But, the kids were 18. They knew what they were doing and they wanted it to happen. When I was 18, if a teacher had made advances to me and I had a chance to fuck her, you can bet your ass I'd have done it. If the teacher was a man and the kids were 18yr old girls, i'd feel the same. The gender is irrelevant. Or at least it should be.

this is where we bring in the gender differences, how society sees and reacts to certain actions "typically" based on your gender.
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:29:13 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

If the teacher was a man and the kids were 18yr old girls, i'd feel the same. The gender is irrelevant. Or at least it should be.

Part of the problem is society's tendency to infantilize women. It's only in recent time that women have been treated anything like equally with men, and even now only in certain parts of the world. Women were first their father's property, then they married and were the property of their husbands. Women weren't thought capable of making any decisions about their own lives, not even the most basic decision as to when and with whom they were ready to have sex. People's double standard about sex between older women and 18 year old men and older men and 18 year old women are just remnants of that.

Ben_C
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:35:37 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
Teacher convicted of consensual sex with legal adult

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A former Texas high school teacher was convicted Friday after having sex with five 18-year-old students at her home.

It took the jury less than an hour to conclude that Brittni Nicole Colleps, 28, of Arlington, was guilty of 16 counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.

Sentencing was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

The former Kennedale High School English teacher had sex with the students at her home over two months in 2011, authorities said.

Colleps is married and has three children. She turned herself in after a cellphone video of one encounter that involved multiple students emerged. That video was shown a trial.

Three former students who testified Thursday said that they did not consider themselves victims and did not want to see their former English teacher prosecuted. The three were football and track athletes.

Arlington police Detective Jason Houston testified that charges were filed because "18 or not, it's a crime" for a teacher to have sex with her students.

Two former students told jurors their relationships with Colleps began with the exchange of text messages that quickly turned sexual.

A 19-year-old testified that he had gone to Colleps' home twice with friends and they all engaged in sexual conduct.

A former student who is now 20 testified that he engaged in group sex and recorded his last encounter on a cellphone. He said initially the students spoke of the importance of keeping their activities quiet because they didn't want their teacher to get in trouble.

The 20-year-old also said when school officials called him into the office to question him in May 2011, he denied the trysts at first because "I was trying to save her."

Colleps' husband was serving in the military overseas at the time of the encounters. Christopher Colleps said Friday that he is mad at his wife, but stands by her "because 'til death do us part means 'til death do us part."

Putting her in jail would punish him and their children for something they had no control over, he said.

Kennedale is a town of about 7,300 residents near Arlington, eight miles southeast of Fort Worth. The high school has about 3,200 students.

===============

Should she be convicted of a crime? The victims do not claim victimhood nor wanted her prosecuted. Should she have lost her job? Yea, probably. But is she a sex offender? Not too sure about that. If these 18yr olds could have dropped out of school and gone into the military and war, they should be able to bang whomever they wish. Or is it unacceptable of the teacher regardless of the students' legal adult age?

It sounds absolutely ridiculous to be honest, legal age of consent is 16 over here in the UK 18 in most states of America so we are not talking about illegal sex with minors in any nation at all, maybe it was inappropriate and she should maybe loose her job, the students were not complaining and I don't understand why they just didnt refuse to testify in this circumstance, I'm not seeing the major crime here, it's pathetic, draconian and sticks of hypocrisy. Also if these acts took place outside of 'school' time I'm failing to see how this was not just sex between consenting adults and to even bring this case to court is an invasion of the teachers privcy.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:23:48 PM

nazhinaz wrote:

Holy shit! I can't decide if you really are that clueless, or if you're just the greatest troll Lush has ever seen. How little do you regard human life if you think so little of the taking of one?

nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:32:58 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:

Holy shit! I can't decide if you really are that clueless, or if you're just the greatest troll Lush has ever seen. How little do you regard human life if you think so little of the taking of one?

And how little do you consider the faith and confidence of thousands of families?
people who are not loyal to their commitment and vow, be it with wife, sexual partner, or state, are known as BETRAYERS.
And what is the punishment of BETRAYERS, you know it well.
They rote in the agony of solitary feelings if the wife or the sexual partner leaves and if its breaking a commitment with state, we all know well.
Think twice before posting. Betraying a confidence is surely worse than the murder of one human being.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:40:30 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

And how little do you consider the faith and confidence of thousands of families?
people who are not loyal to their commitment and vow, be it with wife, sexual partner, or state, are known as BETRAYERS.
They rote in the agony of solitary feelings if the wife or the sexual partner leaves and if its breaking a commitment with state, we all know well.
Think twice before posting. Betraying a confidence is surely worse than the murder of one human being.

LOL.

Apologies are in order, I think. I clearly didn't comprehend your sense of humor until now. Well done, endorser-of-evolved-humans-and-respecter-of-insane-laws. Well done. I think your routine is starting to hit its stride.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:27:54 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

Okay, gotcha. Troll. You shoulda told us sooner, and we all coulda been in on the joke!Nutbag

keoloke
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 11:58:19 AM

I do not agree that because of her teacher position she had the most influence in what has happened. Also remember, by law we are talking of consenting adults. Todays age a 16 years old should be fully liable of his own action.

If no action can be taken for or against the student, what is the teacher at fault of? This going by the book.

We can never fully prosecute or make right of this. We can never fully understand what emotions have moved a wife and mother, holding a job and with an apparent good status to go this distance. Also, has been asserted that she initiated it? I know she's still the teacher, I'm still talking here of at an emotional level.

What is the difference of two adult coworkers having sex were in many cases one holding a higher position. It happens every day. Good excuse that one of them exerted power.

I'm going to stir some bad blood here: Teacher being exposed, ridiculed and exploited .
Thumbs up to her hubby to stand by her at this time and understand not to just hear what has happened.

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
keoloke
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 12:25:03 PM

elitfromnorth wrote:

It would give me great pleasure to join in the fight with you and go there and send her to jail, but

I respectfully disagree, interpretation of laws are not opinions.

No, you're right, not every 18yo is out of danger of being used and manipulated... But they are adult! you keep hammering on the word 'kids"

What if they were 19 or 20 or 21. They are still someone's children. Were is the line? The line is 18 so far and it should be 16, but thats on opinion.. mine.

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 5:54:25 PM

keoloke wrote:

It would give me great pleasure to join in the fight with you and go there and send her to jail, but

I respectfully disagree, interpretation of laws are not opinions.

No, you're right, not every 18yo is out of danger of being used and manipulated... But they are adult! you keep hammering on the word 'kids"

What if they were 19 or 20 or 21. They are still someone's children. Were is the line? The line is 18 so far and it should be 16, but thats on opinion.. mine.

The reason I use the word kid in this context is because they're still at high school. She may have started teaching them when they were 16, when in the eyes of the law they're kids. What if she puts thoughts in their mind then and this keeps rolling? Maybe she has been teaching them sex ed.(if they learn about that). Imagine the way she may appear to them, especially if some of the lads are virgins. Suddenly they see this authority figure that knows about sex and wham, at the age of 16 they get a crush on her which doesn't go away. That's abusing the authority she has.

We all know that when it comes to attraction it's not just necessarily good looks that is the only thing that lights your fire, especially when it's with someone you know. It can be trust, a close relationship built up over time and so much more, and she has gained those from her position as a teacher over a longer period of time from when they were young.

You can say "they're 18" all you like, but it's still against the law to fuck your pupils. You still risk jailtime if you do it. I for one am certain that if I ever have kids then I want to make sure that my kid won't be used as a tool to satisfy the teacher's sexual desires, it be consensual or not. Whether or not it's consensual is a ridicilous argument, because that's not the case here. Same as the judge shouldn't consider if they were 18 or not. What is the matter here is that the teacher builds a bond with the student that it is completely necessary to keep within bounds by the law.

I have experience with teaching children aged 13-16. I know how strong a bond you form with them even in a very short time. It's a whole lot easier than you think to see which one of them are the more insecure and would be more susceptible for a move than others. I doubt that changes over a period of two years. You learn to know these kids, and if you're good, they'll open up to you. You see them every day and you interact with them more that day than many of their parents. In the end they'll find it easier to talk to you than their parents, simply because you're an adult who knows them but you're not their parent. I know that if one of my colleagues ended up shagging a pupil then I'd volunteer to drive the teacher from the courthouse to jail. Because it is by far one of the greatest betrayls you can do as a teacher.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:40:23 PM

Why didn't Ms Murphy do this to me when i was at school!!! :(
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 2:46:44 PM

Several months ago The Economist had a very good article about how draconian American sex offense laws are. Many of these laws are obviously necessary, protecting as they do younger children from older men and women, but one woman mentioned in the article has to register as a sex offender in her state for allowing her 16 year old daughter to have sex. In the case of this teacher, given that all involved were over the age of majority, I hardly would think jail is fair. Those young men are old enough to serve overseas in the military, but they're off limits to another adult? People are supposed to be tried for what they did, not what they might do, and being that all of the students involved were over the age of legal consent, I can't imagine calling a jail sentence fair. Losing her job, yes, definitely, because she may very well seduce someone under the age of majority, but not jail.
Mako
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 3:55:18 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
Teacher convicted of consensual sex with legal adult

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A former Texas high school teacher was convicted Friday after having sex with five 18-year-old students at her home.

Mako
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 3:56:02 AM

Where was she when I was in high school...

AnimalisticAlucard
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 5:11:32 AM

Hell No!!! Infact, I envy her :D

Evil Brain Angel Heart - E.B.A.H
historyguy
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 5:37:45 AM

if it were the other way around and a male teacher with female students i think there would be a lot more backlash because like it or not, there is a double standard to these things. with that being said, i do think there was violation of the basic issue of trust. also does the law apply to college students and professors as well? because lets be honest, if a grad student sleeps with one of their professors, i highly doubt any party could claim an abuse of power (assuming there was no incentives given for such acts). She shouldn't be sentenced as a sexual offender though. and she ended up with 5 yrs for those that are wondering.
kmac88
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 7:20:04 AM

no they were all old enough to have sex dont see the big problem really
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 7:49:21 AM

No she shouldnt be convicted of a sex crime...18 is 18 they all were legal age..rather it be a male or female teacher if the students are of legal age and it consentual why not..some laws here in the US are way outdated or just stupid..
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 8:26:08 PM

Given that it costs approximately $60K per year to put someone in prison, I would not want this person going to jail because the sex was consentual between two people of the age of consent.

The punishment should end with her being barred from teaching in the future.
Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 9:28:44 PM

kmac88 wrote:
no they were all old enough to have sex dont see the big problem really

The problem is that she was their teacher. She was in a position of trust that she violated for momentary pleasure. Is that a lesson that should be taught to teenagers? She put having a fun time ahead of her family and her career and her future. That's a big deal.
ramrod32784
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 6:36:54 AM

I agree with Ruthie 18 or not they were still students and it was her responsibility to treat them as such.If they waited until graduation I would have no problems.If the teacher had of been a guy though there would be hell to pay.
Surgicalscars
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:04:53 AM

There was a situation similar to this at my high school my senior year. I'm leaving names out of it. One of the most favored female teachers at my school was stripped of her teaching license, fired, and sent to jail because of her boyfriend of 6 years. They met when he was a Sophomore in high school and she was his teacher. They were in a relationship and of course they were having sex, 3 years go by and he graduates high school and they're still together, 3 more years into college they are still together and having sex. He tells a friend how they met, which he had kept secret before. His girlfriend is now in jail on hundreds of counts of sex with a minor even though he is now almost 22, and he even testified to keep her out of jail!

Is it wrong to send someone to jail when their "victims" are not actually "victims"? Absolutely! The law bends and breaks all the time for worse offenses for dirtier people, I don't see why these perfectly normal people have to suffer because both parties are willing.
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:27:50 AM

She should have lost her job, but not arrested. If 18 is legal age to be an adult, then 18 is legal. It can't be "18 is legal adulthood, unless......." Was the teacher a mentor? Maybe. A manager at McDonald's could fuck her 18 yr old high school senior burger flipper, she wouldn't be arrested. If the 18 yr old can legally drop out of school to join the Army and go to war, he can decide who he wants to fuck. She's not a sexual offender and shouldn't serve a single day in prison.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
ginger86
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:54:14 AM

when i was in high school i had sex with my gym teacher and i didn't think of myself as a victim, and i still don't. i was not innocent and knew what i was doing, in fact it was me that seduced her. it was a wonderful experience that lasted over a year and i still think of her with love and cherish those memories. was it wrong for her to give into my advances? i don't think so, we were just two people that were attracted to each other and then, as now, i felt i was adult enough to make the decision on who i wanted to be with.

kmac88
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:45:04 AM

@CoopsRuthie you make it sound like they was kids if you don't know what you want by the time your 18 you must be stupid or have issues. its not like that women raped them the boys knew what they wanted and was doing and was game for doing it. Fair enough take her job from her but to send her to prison over consentual sex is stupid mind you it is america.
musicluver
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:39:08 PM

Well ok first of all its utter bs if she goes to prison i know its been said but they werent minors and to top it off a felony? if anything she should lose her job and a fine etc but prison time no. In parts of this country the legal age of consent is 14 so honestly the laws in many states in general need to be revised. The simple fact is she slept with consenting adults who could have said no and chose not to. Should she be able to teach again? id have to say no but then again our country has some really ignorant and stupid ass backwards laws.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 10:38:28 AM

What I'd like to know is... How many of you, here now... who are claiming that the adult female teacher having sex with 18 year old students - did nothing wrong.

Where you were standing on the issue of William Jefferson Clinton, face fucking Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Orifice and spattering her blue dress back in 1998 or whenever the fuck that happened.

Monica was definitely over the age of 18 and not a student, but she was also not a peer of the President of the USA.

I would wager there's a fair amount of hypocrisy floating around this thread.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.