Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

"Black"? Or "African-American"? Options · View
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:48:43 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,184
Location: United States
WellMadeMale wrote:


'Lucy' was never considered to belong to Homo Sapiens Sapiens. And with just a few bones recovered, the theory (and that's all it is or has ever been) that she was even ever in the lineage of what could be defined as human - is still up in the air.

The article I've linked to is from 2004. Much has changed even since then. But, Lucy...being upgraded to modern man? Nah


There have been enough bones recovered from the Australopithecus afarensis to know that Lucy was a hominid. She probably walked upright, but there was always a disagreement as to whether or not she was in the direct line that leads to Homo sapien. I don't know if that's ever been resolved or not, but here's a picture of her skeleton.



I believe that the importance of Lucy was that the skeleton showed that walking on two feet came before an increase in brain size. There was an older species of hominid discovered after Lucy, Ardipitecis Ramidus but the discovery wasn't published until 2008, so it isn't listed in the article WellMadeMale linked to. That skeleton was also female. Girls are just tougher I guess.

As for whether to say black or African American, I'm not qualified to decide. People should be called whatever they want though.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:54:15 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,678
Location: United States
CoopsRuthie wrote:


There have been enough bones recovered from the Australopithecus afarensis to know that Lucy was a hominid. She probably walked upright, but there was always a disagreement as to whether or not she was in the direct line that leads to Homo sapien. I don't know if that's ever been resolved or not, but here's a picture of her skeleton.



I believe that the importance of Lucy was that the skeleton showed that walking on two feet came before an increase in brain size. There was an older species of hominid discovered after Lucy, Ardipitecis Ramidus but the discovery wasn't published until 2008, so it isn't listed in the article WellMadeMale linked to. That skeleton was also female. Girls are just tougher I guess.




Look, if you guys want to post 'evolution' conspiracy theories, that's your business, but let's be clear about something: the world is less than 4,000 years old. This is a real skeleton of a person. The small brain means they probably were atheist.




evil4
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:06:41 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,184
Location: United States
LadyX wrote:


Look, if you guys want to post 'evolution' conspiracy theories, that's your business, but let's be clear about something: the world is less than 4,000 years old. This is a real skeleton of a person. The small brain means they probably were atheist.




evil4


I've found an artist conception of Lucy which backs up your theory.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:09:18 PM

Rank: Thread Mediator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,678
Location: United States
If not for the dinosaurs, defeating the Nazis would've been that much harder.
ElChupacabras
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:46:56 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/13/2012
Posts: 205
Location: Ibagué, Colombia
Perfectly put slipperywhenwet2012. That's just about the only thing one can do when we see a comment like the one you quoted. Lfunny
Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:07:37 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 883
Location: The Sprawl, United States
someone wrote a few pages back about black athleticism, and woman being less intelligent than men arguments. Black people are better athletes, (not all the time anyone can be chubby or out of shape) but if you go by Europe to Africa They have about a thousand years or more of exercise on us lol. While we were getting weak and flabby from fine dining and watching operas all the time, putting on wigs and makeup dudes in Africa were fighting off lions with a stick. theres no doubt in my mind they have an advantage, africas a tough place. The most badass warriors survived. Europe didn't have that.

colonial Europe is essentially candyland with poor hygiene and lead makeup.
Civilization causes problems by solving others

and for the evolution stuff above my post, there's always the possibility god created all life.. Through evolution. Why can't you both be right ? :p
ramrod32784
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:13:51 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 7/29/2012
Posts: 558
Location: Fl, United States
To be honest when the slaved came over only the people in the best shape survive which left a better genetic pool
Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:18:29 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 883
Location: The Sprawl, United States
well I was avoiding the slavery topic...
suezq
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:24:26 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/23/2009
Posts: 282
Location: Pennsylvania
The last census I checked the "other" box for nationality and race and wrote in American and human. I think people should be referred to by whatever term they prefer, though I prefer people simply use my name. French/German/English/Cherokee American is a bit unwieldy.
Ruthie
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:29:02 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 10/21/2010
Posts: 2,184
Location: United States
Garza wrote:
someone wrote a few pages back about black athleticism, and woman being less intelligent than men arguments. Black people are better athletes, (not all the time anyone can be chubby or out of shape) but if you go by Europe to Africa They have about a thousand years or more of exercise on us lol. While we were getting weak and flabby from fine dining and watching operas all the time, putting on wigs and makeup dudes in Africa were fighting off lions with a stick. theres no doubt in my mind they have an advantage, africas a tough place. The most badass warriors survived. Europe didn't have that.

colonial Europe is essentially candyland with poor hygiene and lead makeup.
Civilization causes problems by solving others

and for the evolution stuff above my post, there's always the possibility god created all life.. Through evolution. Why can't you both be right ? :p


Medieval Europe was pretty tough on people too. Everyone wasn't a lord or lady living it up in the castle, most people were working hard so that the lords and ladies could live lives of leisure, and even the lords had to get out and fight. There were always wars going on, and of course there were the Vikings. The average person has never really had it as easy as we do now. European civilization has been pretty successful too. If Africa and the Americas had been able to develop without European influence they would have eventually advanced their civilizations to the point where ours is now, and they'd all be sitting around eating bon bons and watching TV. The advance of European civilization sort of hampered the advance of other civilizations.

The pre-Columbian civilizations of South and Central America were at least as advanced as the ancient European and middle eastern civilizations. The inhabitants along the coast of what is now the USA were living in towns and were organized into societies when the first European's came along. A huge number of the natives died off from European diseases before the Pilgrims landed. The first English settlers actually lived in empty towns where the former inhabitants had died of diseases they'd caught from the Spanish.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:38:24 PM

Rank: Brawling Berserker

Joined: 2/12/2012
Posts: 1,589
Location: Burrowed, Norway


/end of thread...

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:55:15 PM

Rank: The Linebacker

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 5,185
Location: Atlanta, United States
So are y'all telling me that this Lucy is not the mother of our species? Damn I feel so disillusioned now, I need another beer...




I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:29:05 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/16/2011
Posts: 883
Location: The Sprawl, United States
CoopsRuthie wrote:


Medieval Europe was pretty tough on people too. Everyone wasn't a lord or lady living it up in the castle, most people were working hard so that the lords and ladies could live lives of leisure, and even the lords had to get out and fight. There were always wars going on, and of course there were the Vikings. The average person has never really had it as easy as we do now. European civilization has been pretty successful too. If Africa and the Americas had been able to develop without European influence they would have eventually advanced their civilizations to the point where ours is now, and they'd all be sitting around eating bon bons and watching TV. The advance of European civilization sort of hampered the advance of other civilizations.

The pre-Columbian civilizations of South and Central America were at least as advanced as the ancient European and middle eastern civilizations. The inhabitants along the coast of what is now the USA were living in towns and were organized into societies when the first European's came along. A huge number of the natives died off from European diseases before the Pilgrims landed. The first English settlers actually lived in empty towns where the former inhabitants had died of diseases they'd caught from the Spanish.


I think there's a difference, hygiene was terrible, people were scrawny trying to get by, At least that's how I see if, living in huts with rats, "sewage" in the streets. The poor and rich had it bad in my opinion. Leeching people tille they were sick and leeching them some more to get rid of that sickness.

I think Africa (and the American natives) had an advantage, no pollution, less disease, traveling was done by foot, living in the wilderness is still harder than living in a town, seems like a cleaner, rugged, physical lifestyle. That's why they died, all the european- Spanish diseases had never been encountered, In that sense Europeans had stronger immune systems. But I'd pick water and berries over carrying meat around in bags with bread, they had to mix water with alcohol just to keep it drinkable. I shudder at the idea of having to drink grog after it's had a few weeks to ferment on a ship.

Feudal europe many people never left a mile or two of were they were born. They stayed in one spot and worked stressful lives, I don't think there's anyway to tell really but I'm sure villages had to travel great distances for water in dry seasons, or leaving to hunt. the mayans managed to create complex starmaps and calendars and buildings aligned to the sun or moon. I think some are still more accurate then we are today. to bad the damn Christians destroyed most of what they found. But that's a different topic and Im getting off track.

the areas that civilization considered "heathens" Were generally better off health wise and physically fitter then the technologically superior nations that conquered them was where people in their late twenties were grandparents.
beowulf69
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:26:25 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/24/2011
Posts: 200
Location: Cocoa Beach, United States
Arguing over who has the best genetics has always been an excuse for racism. It's damned pathetic.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:41:57 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
Once again I didn't read all of the posts. I read until I saw what I agreed with. On page one Sprite "nailed" it. People! It really should just be that simple. I think the world would much more peaceful if we just left it at that.
1ball
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:05:19 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
intothenight wrote:
Once again I didn't read all of the posts. I read until I saw what I agreed with. On page one Sprite "nailed" it. People! It really should just be that simple. I think the world would much more peaceful if we just left it at that.


While you are probably right, it's pretty hard to deny a distinct cultural identity to group that feels it has a right to a distinct cultural identity. People take pride in their ancestry and heritage.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:08:45 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
I usually use the term black simply because it's easier to say than African-American. I've had no complaints about that even though most of my co-workers are black. If someone insisted being called African American though, I'd oblige them if they asked politely.
Guest
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:25:06 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 473,806
After thinking about this for a while I'm still with Sprite! People! Consider yourself what you want. In my world you get respect if you give respect.
Adults should really take lessons from kids. Say you have a daycare with 15 kids 3-4 years in age. Boys and girls, light skin, dark skin, and everything in between. Christian, Muslim, Mormon, and so on. Parents from wherever? A daycare provider that is NOT prejudice but makes them behave. What do you get? FRIENDS!
Maybe we should take some lessons from our children.
Kal-El85
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:34:53 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/22/2010
Posts: 2,332
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Black or African-American? I really don't care. I'm proud of my race(Black/African-American), but as an individual I want to be respected like everyone else.
She
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:33:38 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,052
Location: Europe
1ball wrote:


I've been called Spock before, but this is a first for Sheldon. I've never watched the show, so I only just barely know who the character is, but since he's also a genius (like Spock), I'll take it as a compliment. ;)


As compliment of course!

1ball wrote:
As for being arrogant, I am confident and I express myself confidently and that often seems arrogant and irritating to others, especially when I can logically dismiss their fallacious arguments. Cynical is really another word for honest when it comes to human nature, especially the nature of politicians.

You are doing it again :)

1ball wrote:
Regarding the classification by differences, it is often required here for businesses and educational institutions to produce the appearance of being sensitive to those distinctions and to hire minorities and women or face the consequences of appearing to be excluding them intentionally. The feeling is that the workforce of a publicly owned corporation or educational institution should reflect the national population in ethnic and gender makeup. Reverse discrimination is a term often used here for ignoring merit and hiring or teaching based on other criteria.

I heard about that, it was quite big thing in the 90', reversed discrimination. I think it was slavery debt and feminism was overly popular in those days..so, I understated why reversed discrimination existed. How is with it these days? I don't hear about it at all.
1ball
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:48:31 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/13/2011
Posts: 970
Location: United States
She wrote:

I heard about that, it was quite big thing in the 90', reversed discrimination. I think it was slavery debt and feminism was overly popular in those days..so, I understated why reversed discrimination existed. How is with it these days? I don't hear about it at all.


It's still an issue in university admissions and it's part of the opposition to unions and the Democrats. Despite all the claims of racism leveled against the GOP, they've become more credible as the party of "color-blind justice".

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
She
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:59:40 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/24/2010
Posts: 2,052
Location: Europe
Garza wrote:


I think there's a difference, hygiene was terrible, people were scrawny trying to get by, At least that's how I see if, living in huts with rats, "sewage" in the streets. The poor and rich had it bad in my opinion. Leeching people tille they were sick and leeching them some more to get rid of that sickness.

I think Africa (and the American natives) had an advantage, no pollution, less disease, traveling was done by foot, living in the wilderness is still harder than living in a town, seems like a cleaner, rugged, physical lifestyle. That's why they died, all the european- Spanish diseases had never been encountered, In that sense Europeans had stronger immune systems. But I'd pick water and berries over carrying meat around in bags with bread, they had to mix water with alcohol just to keep it drinkable. I shudder at the idea of having to drink grog after it's had a few weeks to ferment on a ship.


I don't understand, are you trying to say that you would prefer not existing as a Great Nation as you are today, just so you dont have to give some kind of a credit that something good actually happened with migrations, like America we know today?
Pollution you are referring to happened a bit latter in 18.and 19. century with Industrial Revolutions

Garza wrote:
Feudal europe many people never left a mile or two of were they were born. They stayed in one spot and worked stressful lives, I don't think there's anyway to tell really but I'm sure villages had to travel great distances for water in dry seasons, or leaving to hunt. the mayans managed to create complex starmaps and calendars and buildings aligned to the sun or moon. I think some are still more accurate then we are today. to bad the damn Christians destroyed most of what they found. But that's a different topic and Im getting off track.

And yet again those are the people who actually migrated to America and you have their heritages..


adele
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 12:30:04 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/8/2011
Posts: 20,539
Location: if I knew where I was then I would not be here...
I read through this entire thread and have a couple of points to make. And let me say up front that I am of Italian descent, only 2nd generation born here in America. Italians, Irish and other nationalities were considered "black" and inferior races at one time here. And considering the pillaging and slavery the Romans perpetrated on the known world at the time, there is a good chance that I have some African blood in me somewhere.

1. Black people in this country that can trace their roots to slaves have been around much longer than many white American's have been
2. White slave owners bred slaves to be strong and able to work in the fields and other places for long hours, day after day. Weak or sickly slaves were left to die. This is at least partially the reason why many star athletes are black. (And please, I am not at all implying anything racist here. It is a fact of history. White slave owners wanted/needed to have people with stamina, strength and endurance who could do the job with as few people as possible to keep their costs down. Why let 2 small, weak people have children who also might be small or sickly, when you could put 2 strong, healthy slaves together that would likely produce bigger, healthier, stronger children instead.)
3. Lumping all black people into the category of African -American (with it's inherent connotations) is an insult to a) blacks whose heritage stems from elsewhere and b) South Africans who are white, as some have pointed out.

We Americans (and some others) seem to have a need to categorize people based on their looks. If they have slanted eyes and flatter faces, they are Asian, if they are black, they are African, if they are brown, they are Hispanic. They are not Chinese or Japanese or Filipino or Indian or Haitian or Mexican or Puerto Rican. Yet if they are white with a heritage that stems from Europe, they are German or Italian or Irish or English, etc. It should not matter what nationality a person is, except to possibly identify with a particular culture to explain or share customs. We are all members of the human race, and the world gets smaller as each day goes by. 50, 25 or even 10 years ago, a discussion like this amongst the people here in this thread would have been impossible, because there was mo medium like this to promote it. There is very little these days where something that happens in one country that does not have an impact on other countries, or the entire planet.

Let's just all get along people! If a person has a preference on what they want to be called, they will let you know, and courtesy dictates you call them that. I prefer my name, but I'm good with a lot of other words as long as you don't call me late for dinner.

There is no mark of self,
And no mark of others,
No mark of living beings,
And no mark of a life.


-- The Diamond Sutra
cwalkerjr1
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 4:11:34 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 9/13/2012
Posts: 3
My 2 cents I prefer the term "Black" as pertaining to my race. But "American" would me most preferable.
P.S. If one wants to be technical, Charlize Theron is African American. She was born and raised in Soweto.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.