Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How do you define success? Options · View
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:30:22 PM

Is it an achievement or a state of mind?

Do you think its possible to achieve your goals in life and still feel unsuccessful and on the other hand, not getting where you wanted to but still be content? How do you measure your own success?

Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
overmykneenow
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:34:21 PM

Are you confusing success with pride?

Achievement is its own reward, pride merely obscures it.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:07:38 PM

Nope, nothing to do with pride.

Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
seeker4
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 5:07:50 PM

I think that one can be successful by a societal definition but still feel unfulfilled. I'm a case in point. I'm making more than my father ever did, my family is financially secure and living comfortably, and I'm in a career that should be satisfying me and, yet, I'm feeling a bit empty. Some of the things that sustained me in the years before I got those things are gone (like writing, which is part of why I'm here) and I'm realizing that they were a part of what fulfilled me, too. So the question is, am I really successful? Is social/economic success the goal here or is fulfillment of ones dreams/desires the goal? Is true success a function of being fulfilled rather than simply "making it"?

Not sure I have the answer. If I did, maybe I'd be succussful and feel successful.

Its been a while but I finally got a new story out. Enjoy!

Satisfaction in the Park
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:00:29 PM

I think everyone has a different idea of what being successful entails depending on what one wants out of life. I have experienced many personal successes in my life, but there are other areas that I'm striving to improve. Society and other people may try to impose their measure of success upon you, or one might compare themselves to others in order to gauge their own success. All in all, I think its a very personal thing to define.

Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:46:48 PM

It's a state of mind. For me, it's going to sleep with a smile on my face and waking with joyful anticipation of the day to come.
1ball
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:00:56 PM

Naughty_Magician wrote:

Do you think its possible to achieve your goals in life and still feel unsuccessful and on the other hand, not getting where you wanted to but still be content? How do you measure your own success?

It can be either. There's a saying, "You can't argue with success", which, in reference to an achievement is generally true. But successfully completing a goal might not be as satisfying as you expected and that satisfaction was a secondary goal. And satisfaction can be a state of mind. There's also the possibility that you can fail to achieve a goal but still achieve satisfaction and maybe even learn a valuable lesson. Both of those can make a failed attempt a success. I measure my own success by whether I'm able to have long periods of Inner Peace. It sometimes takes planning and achievement of goals to set up the situations required to have those long periods.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10:56 AM

Naughty_Magician wrote:

Firstly there are no end of goal posts in life.
One success brings forth a new goal post, equiping us with newer vision and newer ideas to move on to the next goal.
But to feel contented is absolutely a different parameter.
I am contented with what I do achieve in any given day of life and yet may feel uncontented as my end goals advancing every day.
Contentment is related to what we attained TOWARDS the achievement of the END GOAL we have set for the time being.
So I do feel contented every day and still desiring to achieve more and ever more.
seeker4
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:45:41 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

Firstly there are no end of goal posts in life.
One success brings forth a new goal post, equiping us with newer vision and newer ideas to move on to the next goal.

I think that this is important. Life isn't a destination, it's a journey. If we live it that way, then we can celebrate and rest at each waypoint but still keep moving forward.

I also like to say that live is not a simple journey from point A to point B but a voyage of exploration in which we are invited to wander here and there along the route to find new ideas, relationships, and so on. I once preached a sermon on this theme in my UU church.

Its been a while but I finally got a new story out. Enjoy!

Satisfaction in the Park
swollen
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:53:55 AM

Isn't the ultimate goal of success happiness?

If I fall asleep happy, which I invariably do, I deem the day a success. End of.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:42:12 AM

Regaining an erection within thirty minutes of my second ejaculation.

Over the age of 45, the success rate for multiple male climaxing is a lot like the closing percentage rates of door-to-door cold call sales of Burial Plans - caskets/plots/headstones for the entire family. You could go weeks in-between, but live like a king off of six successes a year.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:51:47 AM

WellMadeMale wrote:

You could go weeks in-between, but live like a king off of six successes a year.

This is making me sad. You're like a nuclear meltdown and the sadness is like the radiation. Just being around the fallout is fucking me up.

Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:46:48 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
Regaining an erection within thirty minutes of my second ejaculation.

Over the age of 45, the success rate for multiple male climaxing is a lot like the closing percentage rates of door-to-door cold call sales of Burial Plans - caskets/plots/headstones for the entire family. You could go weeks in-between, but live like a king off of six successes a year.

That was funny.
sprite
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:53:24 PM

if i am happy, and i make the people i love happy, that is my measure of success.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/hardcore/west-coast-games-part-one-the-beach.aspx
She
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 3:47:33 AM

Personally, when I set up my goals, reach them and don't fuck no one on the way there, than I can say I was successful.
For me, most important thing is to be able to look myself in the morning without a shame, I rather reach my goal slowly than to jeopardize that.
MarySweets
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:49:18 AM

"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:56:07 PM

You die happy.
weplay
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 5:03:53 PM

unfortunately you won't be there, for the only true way of knowing, but your family will see, here's why a true test of success is the amount of people who show up and actually mourn you at your funeral