Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Poll Question : Who would you vote for right now? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
Barack Obama (Democrat) 58 54 %
Mitt Romney (Republican) 35 32 %
Gary Johnson (Libertarian) 7 6 %
Tom Hoefling (American Independent Party) 1 0 %
Dr. Jill Stein (Green Party) 2 1 %
Other 4 3 %

Let the voting begin! Let's see how a lushworld poll compares to the real world... Options · View
davie
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:41:30 AM

The EU situation is entirely due to the stupidity of the Euro. There is a shortage of demand in most of the EU and a surplus in Germany. Before the Euro what would have happened is the governments with a shortage of demand would have printed as much money as needed to create demand to end their recession. But doing that now would cause a surplus of demand in Germany and that would mean inflation.

Because the German establishment misremembers history, they believe inflation led to the rise of Hitler. Actually the inflation was sorted out before Hitler came to power. It was the recession that followed that brought Hitler to power (that plus the establishment being OK with Hitler liquidating the Communist party which gave him the parliamentary majority he needed to pass the enabling act).

So now they are forcing Greece into a recession and ignoring the fact that a fascist party, Golden Dawn is drawing almost the level of support the NAZI party drew while also having a branch of thugs who beat people up for disagreeing with them.

Recessions happen from time to time and when they happen the government needs to create demand which means increasing the money supply one way or the other. Then when the economy is moving they should be running a surplus and paying down the debt incurred in the recession. The reason the US is in trouble right now is that Bush paid for tax cuts for Romney and two wars on the national credit card. Now Romney proposes $5 trillion in new tax cuts, $2 trillion in new spending and he promises to balance the budget too!

What they will do of course is to plough further into debt and then announce that it is all the fault of those 47% who are poor. And that is of course entirely their fault and not because the Walmarts and the Koch bros and such pay starvation wages and then make the rest of us taxpayers make up the difference with welfare.

The Walton family and the Koch bros and Romney have all benefitted massively from corporate welfare, that is what we should be cutting.

This is exactly the type of thinking that got the USA and UK into the mess they are in.
Warlock
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:46:14 AM

Obama is the only legitimate choice in the race.. Romney is not leadership material.. he's a sock puppet the same as Bush was.. sadly we keep going into every election with the brightest minds and strongest characters sitting in the background.. the political arena is so corrupt and pathetic no one wants to be a part of it.. when I was younger being President of the United States was an achievement.. now it's door prize..
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:51:09 AM

Voting for a third party is a nobel and great idea...but please don't throw your vote away in an election where every vote counts.
Obama...he doesn't suffer from Romnesia!
LillyBella
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:00:50 AM

I am voting for MITT! I STRONGLY DESPISE Obama and EVERYTHING he stands for. I am fed up with his disrespect for America. It is time for that lying Communist BASTARD to GO!!!

JessicaX
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:32:48 AM

I sure can understand why YOU despise Obama and everything he stands for. His disrespect for America and our values are clearly seen in his every word.

mrick
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:36:30 AM

Obama and all the Demo's got to keep the rep. out control
Jack_42
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 12:40:22 PM

This post reminds me of baseball The World Series- remember when Luxemburgh got knocked out of the finals by the New York Yankees?
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:51:11 PM

Romney/Ryan, Time for a real change!!!
tazznjazz
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 3:20:29 PM

Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 8:15:22 PM

I get a kick out of the religious fanatics that worship Obama as the Beloved One. They can never find anything wrong, even when he admits he is telling a lie or that one of his people is corrupt beyond a doubt. Instead of defending him, because most of the time they can't, they attack anyone who dares commit the sin of speaking "evil" of the Beloved One. The people on MSNBC act as religious fanatics in the same light as those who worship any two bit dictator. Humans make mistakes, Gods don't. So Obama never makes a mistake in their eyes, even when he is taking money from the very rich he says he is against or allows Americans, Mexicans, and others be murdered because of poor leadership. (Actually those who claim this is just poor leadership have never read or listen to his speeches. In 2008 he said if elected he would bring America and its military down to the level where his brothers in the Arab world would not be afraid of us. He also bragged how he and his wife were flag burners and of course everyone knows he is a racist or he wouldn't have anything to do with Wright or others). Most people who are for Obama can go around and repeat the catch phrase of the week "kicking the can" "video" "war on women" (by the way did anyone happen to notice the comic VP call the female reporter "Honey" and say that she doesn't know what she is saying?) And as far as China jobs are concerned I worked in Long Beach CA when Clinton sold out the Naval Base there to the Red's for money. It was no secret in the city. The money Obama gave out as bribes, kick backs, and pay offs could have been returned to the tax payers in the way of return checks. Be honest, would you rather have all that money or let some crook in a business that goes bust within a year or two and the top rich cats take your money and run?

But if Obama is God and it is our duty to worship him and not complain (freedom of press is dead and speech is all but dead) then of course I can understand. Lenin and Hitler and Mao and Ceasar were Gods. It was the duty of their slaves to worship them so it should be our duty.

But I would rather have someone who is human and who I can kick in the ass if they fail me as a leader. But most Americans like most people in the world do not have the ability to think for themselves. They would rather be sheep. So they keep the same crooks as leaders. If like Ceasar they toss you a slice of bread once in a while than we made the right choice in who we worship.
sprite
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 8:45:21 PM

LillyBella wrote:
I am voting for MITT! I STRONGLY DESPISE Obama and EVERYTHING he stands for. I am fed up with his disrespect for America. It is time for that lying Communist BASTARD to GO!!!

i find it... well, i'm not sure what i think, but i notice that those who are against Romney don't seem as... hate-filled as those attacking the President. Funny, i didn't like Bush, but i respected him enough not to make personal attacks, and i always refered to him as the President. Not Bush. Not W. The president. I'm curious, please explain to me how Mr. Obama is a communist. And come on, you despise EVERYthing he stands for? Woman's rights? Equal rights? Economic growth? Our children, education, healthcare reform, our future, the men and women in our military, our very country? EVERYthing? And please, explain how his "disrespect for America" to me, while you're at it. do you really believe that, or are you just parroting Fox News again?
LadyX
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 9:54:05 PM

ScottFord wrote:
I get a kick out of the religious fanatics that worship Obama as the Beloved One. They can never find anything wrong, even when he admits he is telling a lie or that one of his people is corrupt beyond a doubt. Instead of defending him, because most of the time they can't, they attack anyone who dares commit the sin of speaking "evil" of the Beloved One. The people on MSNBC act as religious fanatics in the same light as those who worship any two bit dictator. Humans make mistakes, Gods don't. So Obama never makes a mistake in their eyes, even when he is taking money from the very rich he says he is against or allows Americans, Mexicans, and others be murdered because of poor leadership. (Actually those who claim this is just poor leadership have never read or listen to his speeches. In 2008 he said if elected he would bring America and its military down to the level where his brothers in the Arab world would not be afraid of us. He also bragged how he and his wife were flag burners and of course everyone knows he is a racist or he wouldn't have anything to do with Wright or others). Most people who are for Obama can go around and repeat the catch phrase of the week "kicking the can" "video" "war on women" (by the way did anyone happen to notice the comic VP call the female reporter "Honey" and say that she doesn't know what she is saying?) And as far as China jobs are concerned I worked in Long Beach CA when Clinton sold out the Naval Base there to the Red's for money. It was no secret in the city. The money Obama gave out as bribes, kick backs, and pay offs could have been returned to the tax payers in the way of return checks. Be honest, would you rather have all that money or let some crook in a business that goes bust within a year or two and the top rich cats take your money and run?

But if Obama is God and it is our duty to worship him and not complain (freedom of press is dead and speech is all but dead) then of course I can understand. Lenin and Hitler and Mao and Ceasar were Gods. It was the duty of their slaves to worship them so it should be our duty.

But I would rather have someone who is human and who I can kick in the ass if they fail me as a leader. But most Americans like most people in the world do not have the ability to think for themselves. They would rather be sheep. So they keep the same crooks as leaders. If like Ceasar they toss you a slice of bread once in a while than we made the right choice in who we worship.

That's funny. Not to say Obama doesn't have a lot of weaknesses, but I've literally never met nor heard of religious fanatics that believe Obama's done no wrong. All the religious fanatics that I've run up against seem to be ones that call him a satanic communist muslim, etc.
KOJA
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:39:06 PM

Both parties have excellent ideas (wish they could work together) but i believe the democrats have the best candidate! my vote is for OBAMA!
Dani
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:48:47 PM

For those of you going off your rocker expressing your hatred for President Obama, can I please see some facts as to WHY you hate him?...As opposed to shaking your fist screaming "that darn Obama!" It's rather unsettling. I thought this was one of the grown-up threads.dontknow

We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

Dani
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:03:44 PM

LillyBella wrote:

To be quite honest, you've disrespected America more with this statement than President Obama ever could.

We're tiny. We're toony. We're all a little looney. And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV.

Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:14:59 PM

Sweet Lady X what I was saying is that they act like religious fanatics in the way they treat him. They can find no wrong with him. Well, that's not completely true, after the first debate they actually questioned him. It was like admitting the king had no clothes. But the next day they received word from Mount High and started in again with the spin.

So no they don't believe in a real God, only a human one. At the convention Obama showed how little he and his Lt's cared what their followers wanted. The hard liners did not want God in their platform, but the country bounced on them so Obama said to change it back. So even when the vote said the Party did not believe in God, the corrupt Mayor of L.A. under Obama's orders overruled the people on the floor. If a leader doesn't like the way the people vote forget them and stuff the ballot box the way the Leader wants it.

I am not saying who I will or who I had voted for as it is my right to keep it private, (in political or union votes). Also I think only citizens have the Right to Vote. Unless you think that the Constitution is a World Document and not a National One. If it covers non citizens we have a right to make people come under our rule the way imperal Russia and China do.

Hope that helped.

Dani
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:21:13 PM

ScottFord wrote:
Sweet Lady X what I was saying is that they act like religious fanatics in the way they treat him. They can find no wrong with him. Well, that's not completely true, after the first debate they actually questioned him. It was like admitting the king had no clothes. But the next day they received word from Mount High and started in again with the spin.

So no they don't believe in a real God, only a human one. At the convention Obama showed how little he and his Lt's cared what their followers wanted. The hard liners did not want God in their platform, but the country bounced on them so Obama said to change it back. So even when the vote said the Party did not believe in God, the corrupt Mayor of L.A. under Obama's orders overruled the people on the floor. If a leader doesn't like the way the people vote forget them and stuff the ballot box the way the Leader wants it.

I am not saying who I will or who I had voted for as it is my right to keep it private, (in political or union votes). Also I think only citizens have the Right to Vote. Unless you think that the Constitution is a World Document and not a National One. If it covers non citizens we have a right to make people come under our rule the way imperal Russia and China do.

Hope that helped.

Who are these people you speak of? How many people have you spoken to exactly that have specifically stated "President Obama can do no wrong?" I'd like to meet them. Otherwise, I'm just chalking this up as a strongly worded generalization, because I have yet to meet such an idolizer.

affable
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:33:44 PM

tazznjazz wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6TiXUF9xbTo

My shopping list includes these scrumptious items: 565 cans of tuna, 75 orders of McDonald's fries (I saw those YouTube videos), several bottles of wine for me and my lovely, like a dozen cans of Bruce's Cut Sweet Potatoes, a few cans of La Choy bean sprouts, and some canned peach slices <3.
tazznjazz
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:02:17 AM

a publication of Working AssetsVoting machines tied to the Romneys could decide the election in Ohio

Could a voting machine company with deep financial ties to the Romney family help Republicans steal the presidential election in Ohio?

It could happen. If this year's presidential election comes down to the electoral votes in Ohio, the deciding votes could be cast on electronic voting machines manufactured by Hart Intercivic.

Tell the Department of Justice: Don't let Republicans steal the election in Ohio with Romney-owned voting machines.

A 2007 study conducted by Ohio's Secretary of State showed that Hart Intercivic's touch screen voting machines could be easily corrupted. The New York Times reported:

At polling stations, teams working on the study were able to pick locks to access memory cards and use hand-held devices to plug false vote counts into machines. At boards of election, they were able to introduce malignant software into servers.1
Hart Intercivic is majority owned by H.I.G. Capital which controls two of the five seats on the Hart Intercivic board. An investment fund with deep ties to the Romney family and the Mitt Romney for president campaign, H.I.G. Capital was founded by Tony Tamer, a major bundler for the Romney campaign, and it is one of the largest partners of Solamere Capital, an investment fund founded by Tagg Romney and Spencer Zwick, Mitt Romney's chief fundraiser from the 2008 presidential campaign.2 This makes the Romney family part owner of the voting machine company, through it's interest in H.I.G. Capital.

Tell the Department of Justice: Don't let Republicans steal the election in Ohio with Romney-owned voting machines.

What's more, three other H.I.G. Capital directors are major fundraisers for the Romney campaign, and H.I.G. Capital is the 11th largest contributor to the Mitt Romney campaign.3 Two of the company's directors, Douglas Berman and Brian Schwartz, were even in attendance at the Boca Raton fundraiser4 where Romney infamously declared:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it... These are people who pay no income tax...[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.5
And as if the ties between Tagg Romney's Solamere, Romney contributors at H.I.G. Capital, and Hart Intercivic weren't astonishing enough, two members of Hart Intercivic's 5-member board of directors made direct contributions to the Romney campaign. That's right. Directors of the company that makes touchscreen voting machines that could decide the presidential election in Ohio, have made contributions to the Mitt Romney for President campaign.

It is disturbing and dangerous that Hart Intercivic, the company that makes the machines that will count many of the votes in Ohio on election night has deep financial ties to family members of Mitt Romney. And that its leadership has been actively involved presidential campaign by donating and bundling hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Mitt Romney. The fact that these machines are easily corruptible touch screen voting machines makes matters even worse.

Gov. Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama are locked in a tight election race which could very well be decided by Ohio's 18 electoral votes. We must take action now.

I dont think this [ cheating] will happen, but it's not very ethical to own the voting machines!dontknow
She
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:51:57 AM

I voted as well, for Obama. I am not American voter, so thanks for this thread and inviting non American Lush people as well :)
..no matter how bad Democratic candidate is, and I am not saying that Obama is or isn't, but I am referring to my country's elections; I just cannot make myself to vote someone else.
TrishL31
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:38:32 AM

LillyBella wrote:

Ditto!
She
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:49:59 AM

Oh wow, so much hostility around here..Aren't Republicans supposed to be people of God?
Just saying..
ByronLord
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:59:49 PM

LillyBella wrote:

Let me tell you something about Communists. You see where I come from, communism is not merely a vulgar term of abuse. Communism defined a very specific set of political ideals that had been corrupted and turned into an ideology that caused the death of about eighty million people in the last century.

But anti-communism also has a pretty dreadful history. The reason that Hitler got control of Germany was that the establishment were so afraid of the communists that they let the fascists first arrest and then murder the communist delegates to the parliament, thus giving the NAZI party the majority they needed to pass the enabling act.

The common feature of fascism and communism was not any particular belief, in fact the two groups fought pitched battles in the streets of Berlin. The common feature was the acceptance of an ideology that claimed to solve every problem. As Karl Popper, the favorite philosopher of Reagan and Thatcher pointed out, it was the belief that they had found absolute truth that lead to the atrocities.

The modern GOP has rejected the pragmatic approach of Reagan-Thatcher and become an ideological party. Worse, it is an ideological party that is based largely on hate. Hatred of black people was the foundation of the Southern Strategy, when that was no longer acceptable they started hating gay people and now their new product is hating Latinos. There is a pretty good reason that Jews, Blacks, Latinos and Gays all back Obama and the Democrats by roughly 4 to 1. Communities that have been targeted by hate tend not to forget.

Romney is not an ideologue, but he isn't a political thinker either. He is just a bullshit artiste who can plausibly pander to the GOP base by reciting from the ideology, completely oblivious to the fact that what he says in one context is incompatible with what he says in another.

Warlock
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:57:35 PM

ScottFord wrote:

Hope that helped.

It isn't always what you say that emphasizes your opinion.. it's how you present it.. and you've failed miserably on both counts..
hamz
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:56:09 PM

ByronLord wrote:

The EU situation is entirely due to the stupidity of the Euro. There is a shortage of demand in most of the EU and a surplus in Germany. Before the Euro what would have happened is the governments with a shortage of demand would have printed as much money as needed to create demand to end their recession. But doing that now would cause a surplus of demand in Germany and that would mean inflation.

Because the German establishment misremembers history, they believe inflation led to the rise of Hitler. Actually the inflation was sorted out before Hitler came to power. It was the recession that followed that brought Hitler to power (that plus the establishment being OK with Hitler liquidating the Communist party which gave him the parliamentary majority he needed to pass the enabling act).

So now they are forcing Greece into a recession and ignoring the fact that a fascist party, Golden Dawn is drawing almost the level of support the NAZI party drew while also having a branch of thugs who beat people up for disagreeing with them.

Recessions happen from time to time and when they happen the government needs to create demand which means increasing the money supply one way or the other. Then when the economy is moving they should be running a surplus and paying down the debt incurred in the recession. The reason the US is in trouble right now is that Bush paid for tax cuts for Romney and two wars on the national credit card. Now Romney proposes $5 trillion in new tax cuts, $2 trillion in new spending and he promises to balance the budget too!

What they will do of course is to plough further into debt and then announce that it is all the fault of those 47% who are poor. And that is of course entirely their fault and not because the Walmarts and the Koch bros and such pay starvation wages and then make the rest of us taxpayers make up the difference with welfare.

The Walton family and the Koch bros and Romney have all benefitted massively from corporate welfare, that is what we should be cutting.

.. hmm.. but do you suggest that printing more money is the answer to US's woes? Surely, it is more complicated than that, else the problem would have been dealt with till now!
secondly, I agree with you that Romney's figures don't add up and that the two wars initiated by Bush have contributed to heavily to the current debt. But isn't it true that Obama's plans will lead to even more debt in the short to medium term? Isn't there a risk of irrecoverable damage there?
Although, I would like to support the democrats, it is questions like these that create a doubt in my mind .... Think
any clarification would be most welcome!

principessa
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:10:31 PM

LillyBella wrote:

You can disagree with his policies and express that in a civil manner, but the only disrespect I see is yours. It is disgraceful. He is your President. The one disrespecting America is you. Why such hate?

This is called "The Think Tank". You are in the wrong place.

ByronLord
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:22:13 PM

hamz wrote:

.. hmm.. but do you suggest that printing more money is the answer to US's woes? Surely, it is more complicated than that, else the problem would have been dealt with till now!
secondly, I agree with you that Romney's figures don't add up and that the two wars initiated by Bush have contributed to heavily to the current debt. But isn't it true that Obama's plans will lead to even more debt in the short to medium term? Isn't there a risk of irrecoverable damage there?
Although, I would like to support the democrats, it is questions like these that create a doubt in my mind .... Think
any clarification would be most welcome!

Well actually the problem has been solved by printing money... more or less. Ben Bernanke gave essentially the answer you just gave during his confirmation. If there is too little money in the economy and the risk of recession or worse deflation, the government pumps money into the economy, dropping money onto crowds from helicopters if necessary. Hence his nickname of helicopter Ben.

There is a law that says the government can't just print money without authority from Congress. So what they did instead was to do what is called 'Quantum Easing'. This basically comes down to the Federal Reserve buys up long term bonds rather than selling them which forces the price up, lowering long term interest rates. The Fed is allowed to do this as the purchases are balanced by assets.

But the secondary effect is that the sellers now have cash that has to be invested in something else, this forces up short term prices. The net effect is very similar except that it takes longer than simply pouring money into the economy.

This would be a very bad policy if the problem was a surplus of demand and rising prices but it is a good policy when the risk is deflation and falling prices - which is actually much worse. But the government does not want to get a reputation for loose money either or that could lead to inflation after the recovery.

This is a fiscal recession and those tend to last a lot longer than the normal sort. Essentially the banking sector was under-regulated. They lent a lot of money to people who could not afford to pay it back. Then the Congress made it even more attractive to lend money to the wrong people by tightening the bankruptcy laws to make it difficult to declare bankruptcy. So now on the upside we are missing the economic activity that the spendthrifts were adding before...

Most models predict that the economy turns round in 2014 and that creates 12 million new jobs regardless. Which is why Mr cynical is promising to do that, he knows it will happen anyway.

As for the deficit, well that will close on Jan 1st due to the Bush tax cuts ending and the sequestration happening. So if congress did absolutely nothing the budget deficit would pretty much go away. Only doing it that way would likely cause another recession. Now the GOP is of course demanding that nobody else is getting a tax cut unless Mittens gets a much bigger one. And they might well follow through there. But the sequestration is likely to go away simply because the GOP really likes spending money on militarism regardless of whether it has any defensive value or not.

hamz
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:37:03 PM

ByronLord wrote:

Well actually the problem has been solved by printing money... ......

Most models predict that the economy turns round in 2014 and that creates 12 million new jobs regardless. Which is why Mr cynical is promising to do that, he knows it will happen anyway.

As for the deficit, well that will close on Jan 1st due to the Bush tax cuts ending and the sequestration happening. So if congress did absolutely nothing the budget deficit would pretty much go away. Only doing it that way would likely cause another recession. Now the GOP is of course demanding that nobody else is getting a tax cut unless Mittens gets a much bigger one. And they might well follow through there. But the sequestration is likely to go away simply because the GOP really likes spending money on militarism regardless of whether it has any defensive value or not.

Interesting indeed... can't wait to see how things actually unfold. Thanks Mate icon_smile

Kitanica
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:13:17 PM

LillyBella wrote:

principessa
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:46:42 AM

Here is one scenario of what might happen.

My Mitt Fantasy
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: October 23, 2012

While I was watching Mitt Romney make up fantasy positions in the foreign policy debate, I had a fantasy of my own.

And given the electoral isthmus the two men are wrestling on, it doesn’t seem like such a wild one. There is growing buzz that the dead heat could slide into a deadlock.

If Romney does suspend voter disbelief enough to tie President Obama, with each getting 269 Electoral College votes, the Republican-controlled House would determine the president — and give it to Mitt. And the (presumably) Democratic-controlled Senate would determine the vice president — and give it to Joe Biden.

So the first election decided by Congress in more than a century would produce a Republican president handcuffed to a Democratic vice president.

I think we can count on good ol’ Joe to devote himself to tormenting President Mittens. When Romney begins his “I, Willard ...” at the inauguration, Joe can howl like a banshee, “That’s a bunch of malarkey!”

When Biden sits behind Romney at his first State of the Union address, in that familiar tiered TV shot, the vice president can guffaw and roll his eyes and slap his knee and put his head in his hands and wave a sign behind Mitt’s slick head that reads, “Bunch of stuff.” I think we can count on Joe to ignore an enraged Tagg shaking his fist from the gallery.

A historic tie, which would spur demonstrations that would make the health care battle look like the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, seems a logical conclusion of the bitter partisan paralysis here and the bottom-feeding campaign, where hope has been chased out by lies on one side and character exaggeration on the other.

And why is the race so perilously close, given the dizzying fall of W. and the dizzying rise of Obama, a mere four years ago?

It is partly because of Obama’s endless odyssey of self-discovery, where he rattles around in his own head, trying to figure out who he is and why he’s stuck on a Denver debate stage, forced to justify himself in this clownish format against this shape-shifting chucklehead.

At the first debate, the president gave off such a feeling of ennui, he could have used a fainting couch. It suddenly made many voters who thought it only fair that Obama get another term, given the mountain of trouble W. had left behind, wonder if that second chance would be embraced with energy, imagination and zest.

And the race is vise-tight because Mitt’s a marvel. Never in modern memory has a presidential candidate so brazenly contorted himself, switching positions to suit the moment and pushing claims, like about Obama’s imaginary “apology tour,” that have been debunked.

But as Bill Clinton warned the Obama team last year, attacking Romney as a flip-flopper, as the president did Monday night in Boca Raton, can help Mitt with centrist voters who like the idea that he’s actually a sheep in Wolfowitz clothing.

Forgoing his Klingon rhetoric, Mitt played cling-on to Obama’s Spock, suddenly clutching onto the president’s positions on China (which he said had made “progress” on trade), Iran, the Afghanistan deadline, drones and ousting Hosni Mubarak. Romney was running so far to the left of Obama that he never even mentioned the tangled White House response to the Benghazi consulate slaughter, which Republicans on the Hill have been working tirelessly to tee up for him.

In the surest sign that Mitt had donned a more soothing costume, he even made a flattering reference to the United Nations, the bête noire of his hawkish neocon foreign policy advisers.

But it was no doubt the neocons who coached Romney to sheath the bayonet to neutralize Obama charges of warmongering. In The Weekly Standard, Bill Kristol urged Mitt to be “pre-presidential.” (Sort of like pre-emptive war.) He advised Romney to speak at the debate “in a bipartisan way” and appeal “to the broad American tradition of international leadership, and to the actions of Harry Truman as well as those of Ronald Reagan.” He advised praising “our diplomats” and “finding something to praise in the actions of President Obama.”

Very sneaky.

Obama blew the first debate because he can’t stand the phoniness of jousts, and he seemed flummoxed by the mind-boggling phoniness of Romney. For the first time, we see President Cool unable to keep his feelings completely cloaked. In Boca, his dark eyes were glaring daggers at Romney, who was sporting his smarmy smile and mine-is-bigger-than-yours flag pin.

If Romney gets to the Situation Room, will we see Cipher Mitt, the vessel of the neocons? Or will we see Moderate Mitt, chastising the hawks — who are eager to pick up where they left off bombing, in Iran and Syria — with a variation on the line he used about Al Qaeda at the debate: “We can’t kill our way out of this mess”?

It’s impossible to know. Mitt may have made so many compromises to get the prize that he doesn’t have a true self anymore. And that’s the scariest thought of all.