Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Lets get away from the circus that is the election! Options · View
Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:31:45 PM

thought I would share an interesting tidbit:

After Vick’s 2009 release from prison, his future earning potential as an athlete seemed to hinge on the rehabilitation of his public image. Almost immediately, he began speaking on behalf of the Humane Society of the United States. The Philadelphia Eagles, which signed Vick as quarterback, perhaps coincidentally awarded HSUS a $50,000 “grant.”

http://humanewatch.org/index.php/the_humane_society_of_the_united_states_and_michael_vick/

That's right Michael Vick of Dog fighting fame is the new Spokesman for the HSUS. Now a lot of people here know I am heavily involved with animals. I have volunteered for some groups, taken in abandoned and starved animals, freely given time and supplies to help those inn need. That said I am HUGELY against the HSUS. They collect a lot of cash every year in the name of helping animals but rarely do they actually help animals. When they do they come in make a media splash and then quietly dump the animals either as carcasses or on the local shelter(without sharing the funds collected in the animals sake)

elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 4:49:43 AM

So unlike PETA who supports terrorism and acts of violence they just snatch as much money as they can?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 6:59:28 AM

Oh they support terrorism and violence as well. They are actually quite connected with PETA. But yea, they are all about the $ so they can lobby lobby lobby and produce video after video villlafying animal owners

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 7:58:37 AM

Damn. I'd have never known this was a bad charity. :(

How do they vilify owners?
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 9:27:35 AM

Lady X, I am a farmer and I work with exotics. Both of these industries are under continuous assault- legal, verbal, and physical- from the AR lobbyist groups.

I respect PETA. Their views are different then mine but at least they are upfront about what they want. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, just don't collect $$$ for the animals and then use it for something else!

HSUS on Animals Rights

Hsus given "D" rating from CharityWatch

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 9:38:04 AM

naughtynurse wrote:
Lady X, I am a farmer and I work with exotics. Both of these industries are under continuous assault- legal, verbal, and physical- from the AR lobbyist groups.

I respect PETA. Their views are different then mine but at least they are upfront about what they want. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, just don't collect $$$ for the animals and then use it for something else!

Regarding farmers, do they, like PETA, object to slaughter/harvest of animals for food and goods? And what do they have against exotics owners? Seems like only the irresponsible ones should be targeted, and that's a law enforcement deal more than anything, right?
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 9:53:30 AM

You would think. Sadly, they seem to think all owners are irresponsible ones.

The truth is that if you make your living with animals you don't mistreat them! In much the same way you don't mistreat your boss. However, like I said I respect those who have different opinions then I do. I don't agree with PETA but at least they make no attempt to claim they are anything but a lobbying group.

HSUS 2011 funds and where they went

FelineFantasy
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 11:16:57 AM

Naughtynurse, how do you feel about SPCA then? I've done a few charity functions with them, they didn't seem to be shady like the other organizations you've listed but I'd like to have someone else's insight on the matter.

Click > here < to read my first feature story, Techno Aphrodite by Piquet!
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 9:27:08 PM

I have nothing against the SPCA. I love groups that truly help animals. But really any animal group that is willing to use Michael Vick as their spokesman needs to be inspected closer!

Buz
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 10:19:55 PM

I donate to some local animal shelters.