Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Vegas Employer: Obama Won, So I Fired 22 Employees Options · View
MoonlightSerenity
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 1:36:36 PM

CBS Las Vegas

A Las Vegas business owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

“David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5 KXNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.”

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote. I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first. I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that made sure they were paid. And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.

“I explained to them a month ago that if Obama gets in office that the regulations for Obamacare are gonna hurt our business, and I’m gonna have to make provisions to make sure I have enough money to cover the payroll taxes, the additional health care I’m gonna have to do, and I explained that to them and I said you do what you feel like in your heart you need to do, but I’m just letting you know as a warning this is things I have to think of as a business owner.

“Well unfortunately, and most of my employees are Hispanic — I’m not gonna go into what kind of company I have, but I have mostly Hispanic employees — well unfortunately we know what happened and I can’t wait around anymore, I have to be proactive. I had to lay off 22 people today to make sure that my business is gonna thrive and I’m gonna be around for years to come. I have to build up that nest egg now for the taxes and regulations that are coming my way. Elections do have consequences, but so do choices. A choice you make every day has consequences and you know what, I’ve always put my employees first, but unfortunately today I have to put me and my family first, and you watch what’s gonna happen. I’m just one guy with 114 employees — well was 114 employees — watch what happens in the next six months. The Dow alone lost 314 points today. There’s a tsunami coming and if you didn’t think this election had consequences, just wait.”

What is your reaction to this news? Do you think the owner was right in doing this or was it either legally or morally wrong?

Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
nicola
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:43:42 PM

What are your thoughts on this MoonlightSerenity?

He's a business owner, he has to do what he has to do to stay in business. If he has to fire 22 people, then so be it. He is still providing employment for 90 odd others.

Of course there's the very real possibility that he's using it as a plausible excuse, and seemingly good reason to chop out the dead wood...
MoonlightSerenity
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:08:24 PM

nicola wrote:
What are your thoughts on this MoonlightSerenity?

He's a business owner, he has to do what he has to do to stay in business. If he has to fire 22 people, then so be it. He is still providing employment for 90 odd others.

Of course there's the very real possibility that he's using it as a plausible excuse, and seemingly good reason to chop out the dead wood...

I think that he could have waited until it was properly enforced and then see what implications it could have on his company before he fired them.

From what I've read so long as they aren't earning over 200k a year then they don't need to pay much, even if they do it's only about 2.8% of the money that gets taxed, which isn't that much. So I don't think even that small amount could be cause to bring down a whole company.

If it could then he needs to think about his actual status on being able to manage a company in the first place.

Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
clum
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:14:54 PM

I think that if he wants to let 22 people go for the good of his business, that's his prerogative. Business is business and needs must.

I think to blame it directly on result of the election is a pitiful. He's calling it "proactive" but it seems to me to be just an excuse for what he wanted to do anyway.

Every day is a school day.
Ruthie
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:15:31 PM

The downturn in the Dow had little to do with the reelection of President Obama. Investors were feeling nervous approaching the fiscal cliff with an obstructive congress. If congress doesn't address the mandatory budget cuts called for by the budget agreement, we're going into a recession. If Romney had been elected there would still have been the democratic Senate to deal with, so Romney's election would have had the same affect on the Dow.

I get the feeling that this guy, the Vegas employer, is using the election as an excuse to reduce his staff. He wouldn't give his name, or the nature of his business, which leads me to believe that he either isn't real, or he's afraid that his decision will reduce the amount of business he does. He sounds like a petulant child. The government isn't going to allow him to keep getting richer at the expense of his workers health so he's going to fire enough of them and make the others work harder so he can continue enriching himself. Like the old slave owners in the Confederacy, he believes that exploiting other people's labor is somehow moral and upright, but wanting to be paid for the work you do and be able to afford things like health care is somehow evil.

He says that he owns, "...a business that I built from just me to 114 employees." Maybe he doesn't realize that he had help from those 114 employees building up his business to what it is today.

I personally don't care if he goes out of business or fires all his employees. He doesn't worry about anyone else making a living, why should any of us worry about him? A lot of people would use slave labor if they could get away with it, and some do, in fact. If he can get along with 22 fewer employees he shouldn't have been employing them to begin with. No wonder he's having business difficulties. He's obviously a poor manager or he wouldn't be in the fix he's in. How did someone that dumb manage to build up a business anyway? He probably had government loans and advice from the SBA. If he'd told us his name we could check that out.

It's not that he's laying off employees that pisses me off about this. He won't admit that he's a failure as a businessman for whatever reason, and feels the need to blame his lack of skill and success on the government, specifically Obama.

The Dow has grown during the years of the Obama administration. The rich have prospered. I'm sure that this asshole has prospered too. He just doesn't want any of the rest of us to enjoy prosperity created by our own efforts. He and people like him, the Randian schemers and the corporatist trust fund babies alike, want the whole pie. They want us to live on whatever crumbs fall off their table. That's the real trickle down theory of economics.

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:20:29 PM

MoonlightSerenity wrote:

I think that he could have waited until it was properly enforced and then see what implications it could have on his company before he fired them.

From what I've read so long as they aren't earning over 200k a year then they don't need to pay much, even if they do it's only about 2.8% of the money that gets taxed, which isn't that much. So I don't think even that small amount could be cause to bring down a whole company.

If it could then he needs to think about his actual status on being able to manage a company in the first place.

There's this mythical notion that small business owners are rich and have all this extra cash lying around. It's not necessarily true, in fact, it's rarely true. 2.8% doesn't seem like a lot, but when you multiply it by 114 employees it can be quite costly. Business is business, when extra cost is passed down to the owner he's going to recoup that money as best he can. It's not like a small business owner can just absorb tax after tax after tax without it affecting his ability to provide for his family. Let's assume his 114 employees average a monthly income of $2000 each. 2.8% of $2000 is $56, multiply that times 114 employees and it equals to $6384 LESS that he gets to bring home to his family per month. Or buy/save for a new piece of equipment, or to hire three more employees, or open a second branch, or save for some catastrophe, or to expand his current location. I don't know about you, but $6k is a shitload of money to lose each month.

Yearly, this new tax will cost him $76k. Any manager or owner of a small business would be crazy NOT to make changes in order to offset rising costs of that magnitude.

And since he fired "only" 22 people he saved $1232/month. Which means he's still willing to absorb over $5000 per month in extra non-revenue producing costs.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:31:57 PM

CoopsRuthie wrote:
The downturn in the Dow had little to do with the reelection of President Obama. Investors were feeling nervous approaching the fiscal cliff with an obstructive congress. If congress doesn't address the mandatory budget cuts called for by the budget agreement, we're going into a recession. If Romney had been elected there would still have been the democratic Senate to deal with, so Romney's election would have had the same affect on the Dow.

I get the feeling that this guy, the Vegas employer, is using the election as an excuse to reduce his staff. He wouldn't give his name, or the nature of his business, which leads me to believe that he either isn't real, or he's afraid that his decision will reduce the amount of business he does. He sounds like a petulant child. The government isn't going to allow him to keep getting richer at the expense of his workers health so he's going to fire enough of them and make the others work harder so he can continue enriching himself. Like the old slave owners in the Confederacy, he believes that exploiting other people's labor is somehow moral and upright, but wanting to be paid for the work you do and be able to afford things like health care is somehow evil.

He says that he owns, "...a business that I built from just me to 114 employees." Maybe he doesn't realize that he had help from those 114 employees building up his business to what it is today.

I personally don't care if he goes out of business or fires all his employees. He doesn't worry about anyone else making a living, why should any of us worry about him? A lot of people would use slave labor if they could get away with it, and some do, in fact. If he can get along with 22 fewer employees he shouldn't have been employing them to begin with. No wonder he's having business difficulties. He's obviously a poor manager or he wouldn't be in the fix he's in. How did someone that dumb manage to build up a business anyway? He probably had government loans and advice from the SBA. If he'd told us his name we could check that out.

It's not that he's laying off employees that pisses me off about this. He won't admit that he's a failure as a businessman for whatever reason, and feels the need to blame his lack of skill and success on the government, specifically Obama.

The Dow has grown during the years of the Obama administration. The rich have prospered. I'm sure that this asshole has prospered too. He just doesn't want any of the rest of us to enjoy prosperity created by our own efforts. He and people like him, the Randian schemers and the corporatist trust fund babies alike, want the whole pie. They want us to live on whatever crumbs fall off their table. That's the real trickle down theory of economics.

We don't know if his business is failing. But when you own a business, and you have a revenue stream that remains the same but you add several thousand dollars of cost.... something has to be done to maintain the profit margin. Or at least keep it close. And it's doubtful raising the price of service or product would be enough to offset that kind of cost of doing business increase. It's unrealistic to just ask a businessman to assume and absorb that loss from his personal income.

groucho
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:25:01 PM

this is a lot like what happened four years ago when obama was first elected. thousands of clueless, blindly ultra-conserative idiots raced out and bought ammo for all the guns that the bat-shit crazy nut-case right-wingers JUST KNEW that obama was going to take from them. the big difference is that then this was a boon to the ammunition makers and dealers. this time around 22 people lost their jobs because of an ultra-conservative asshole doesn't want an effective two party system and is acting like a child when his side lost an election. come on people! this is part of life in any country with an effective democratic republic form of government be it parliamentary or two-party based. whenever there has only been an effectively one party system that runs a country it is one of the "ism" governments - communism, fascism, nazism! grow up, put on your big boy or girl panties and stop being spoon fed the total crap spewed by the far right hate machine and begin listening and thinking and deciding for yourselves!

g

"Women should be obscene and not heard."
Groucho Marx
Ruthie
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:46:38 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

We don't know if his business is failing. But when you own a business, and you have a revenue stream that remains the same but you add several thousand dollars of cost.... something has to be done to maintain the profit margin. Or at least keep it close. And it's doubtful raising the price of service or product would be enough to offset that kind of cost of doing business increase. It's unrealistic to just ask a businessman to assume and absorb that loss from his personal income.

I wouldn't dream of asking him to assume and absorb the loss from his personal income. If he can't afford 144 employees he should lay some of them off. What he shouldn't do is pretend that it's Obama's fault for getting reelected.

Also, if he wasn't a poor businessman to begin with he wouldn't be in the position where he'd have to lay off 22 people after the election because he would already have either laid them off or steamlined his business in some other way so that he didn't have to. He wants to blame the voters for his poor business practices.

Because he refuses to give his name or type of business, we really can't say what percentage of his gross income he should be paying to be competitive. The number of employees any business has is limited by their gross income. If his gross income stays the same and his expenses increase he should first try to increase his gross. He should look for ways to increase the amount of money coming in while increasing productivity among his employees. Then if that fails he should look to see where he can trim his payroll. What he did was to just jump in and start firing people right after the election to make some kind of political point. That makes him an asshole.
doctorlove
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:48:56 PM

He did what he thought was right and I agree with him. I know small business owners who are considering moving out of the U.S.A.
RumpleForeskin
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:01:11 PM

He claims to be a business owner.
He claims to have cut his payroll.
He claims it was due to the Obama victory.
None of the above can be verified.
If true, IMHO very doubtful, it just proves the old saying, "Some folks are proud of being stupid."

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Feels So Right, It Can't Be WrongMore steamy, seductive, straight step-sibling sex, 2-3

Becky -- FOR: Matt -- With Love:
a Festive contest winner – honest

HOW HUMANS DO IT: a fish-eye view of sex an Editor's Pick - no kidding
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:08:11 PM

Not because he owns a business that mean he has a professional ethics. People are let go all the time due to monetary reasons but my CEO/Manager would be more professional and respectful to the workers who were let go.
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:20:15 PM

Quote:
watch what happens in the next six months. The Dow alone lost 314 points today. There’s a tsunami coming and if you didn’t think this election had consequences, just wait.”

LMAO.

Go ahead, panic some more, dipshit.

Also, extra points for proving your asshat conservative credentials on the backs of 22 newly unemployed people. Hope that felt good. Here's an idea: if you need to lay people off, do it with dignity- not only for yourself but for those you laid off. Your technical anonymity means nothing when you grandstand about your actions publicly. I'm supposed to feel sorry for you because the guy you opposed got elected? LOL.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:25:10 PM

No matter if he is real or not. Any business owner has the right to do as they wish regarding laying off employees etc. as long as we have any real freedom. If they do it stupidly then their business will suffer and they only have themselves to blame.

In reality there may be many business owners doing just what this guy said he was going to do. Many of them are extremely pessimistic about the economic future and there are very few economic indicators to dispel that belief. Nothing in Washington, D.C. changed in this election. The White House is the same, the Congress is the same and the Senate is basically the same. What we've seen over the last 4 years is what we will continue to get.

I travel all over the USA dealing with businesses and economic pessimism is rampant.

On the bright side, the major insurance companies after thorough study of Obamacare are actually getting excited about it. They will gain millions of new customers and the government guarantees payments. I actually invested heavily in a new health care service company today that would not have been possible without government mandated insurance and government healthcare.

TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:30:18 PM

If it's true (and I personally doubt the "business owners" veracity), at least one of the 22 "fired" employees will eventually speak out and the guys business will suffer further. I Googled the story and it was widely reported but all based on the anonymous call into a radio station (I highly suspect any anonymous statements made in election season). He says he has "mostly Hispanic employees, which makes me believe it is most likely in the service industry and he probably pays them substandard wages and provides no benefits to begin with. The customers who the remaining employees do work for will undoubtedly discover the identity of this employer, and since it seems like he did it (if it's true) due to fear of the unknown, my guess is many customers will object to using a company who manages his business that way. Let's all hope he doesn't have to lay off any further employees due to loss of business because of his rash decision, again, if it's true in the first place.
doctorlove
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:32:33 PM

rickd2012 wrote:
Not because he owns a business that mean he has a professional ethics. People are let go all the time due to monetary reasons but my CEO/Manager would be more professional and respectful to the workers who were let go.

Just keep thinking that. Whatever makes you happy.
Ruthie
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:07:39 PM

doctorlove wrote:
He did what he thought was right and I agree with him. I know small business owners who are considering moving out of the U.S.A.

I think this statement is probably bullshit. Either that or you know a lot of dumb small business owners. I suspect that most of them shouldn't be in business to start with. I'd like to see how well these rugged individualists would do in another country. Most countries have stricter business regulations than we do and the ones that don't are impoverished disease ridden hellholes. The more of them that move out of the country the better off the rest of us will be anyway. There will be business opportunities for others if their businesses close.

All this talk about fleeing the country is silly. You right wingers sound like a bunch of small children. If you want to move, move. Delta is ready when you are.
JillMom
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:24:56 PM

MoonlightSerenity wrote:
CBS Las Vegas

A Las Vegas business owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

What is your reaction to this news? Do you think the owner was right in doing this or was it either legally or morally wrong?

Not sure I believe the exact specifics of this story, but it does make a point that is very much true. Whether Obama succeeds in eliminating the Bush tax cuts on the top earners or not, there are many other taxes, fees, and fines that will begin hitting businesses now that he has been re-elected such as the 21 identified taxes in ObamaCare. From what I read there is also a whole slew of new regulations from the various regulatory agencies that will also impose additional costs on employers and Obama has stated he wants increases in the corporate tax rate, capital gains tax rate, eliminate cap on FICA taxes, plus he was once talking about a 4% surtax on the rich. Here lies the problem, businesses do not know what is going to happen for sure, so they cannot make plans but they do know the entire discussion is negative to their situation. The CBO itself estimate that the end of the Bush tax cuts on the top earners would result in 700,000 people losing their jobs. In an economy where you are not creat8ing enough jobs to match immigration and population growth, that is not a good thing.

You do not have to be a wizard at business to see that if some of your operating costs go up, you have to either reduce some other cost or increase prices to compensate. I know some of you think a business making a profit is immoral, but it is the ONLY reason for being in business to start with. The majority of costs are fixed such as lease, utility, insurance, taxes, etc so that leaves labor cost as the one you can reduce.

In the end, whether some employees lose their jobs or all of us have to pay a little more for that product it is the average person that gets hit. The business owner will maintain what they consider a decent profit margin while the rest of us will have a higher cost of living or lose our jobs. Good thing you taught that rich guy a lesson!
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:42:35 PM

People need to read a little history. One of the most prosperous periods in this country was post World War II, The tax rate on the wealthiest Americans was somewhere around 90% and the wealthy were doing just fine, the middle class was doing well - most middle class families could get by with a single bread winner, they were able to buy homes, cars, 'toys' and put their kids through college and poverty was practically non-existent. With the failed right-wing policies of the last few decades of tax reductions for the wealthiest, we've seen the decline of the middle class while the rich got richer on the backs of everyone in economic classes below them and they're still whining for even lower taxes. BTW, a stronger, more prosperous middle class increases consumerism, which actually creates jobs. Wealthy people with tax breaks don't create jobs, because without consumers, they don't need to put more people to work. RW policies are only good for the 1%, not the rest of the country.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 7:16:52 AM

CoopsRuthie wrote:

I think this statement is probably bullshit. Either that or you know a lot of dumb small business owners. I suspect that most of them shouldn't be in business to start with. I'd like to see how well these rugged individualists would do in another country. Most countries have stricter business regulations than we do and the ones that don't are impoverished disease ridden hellholes. The more of them that move out of the country the better off the rest of us will be anyway. There will be business opportunities for others if their businesses close.

All this talk about fleeing the country is silly. You right wingers sound like a bunch of small children. If you want to move, move. Delta is ready when you are.

Easy there Ruthie. Not all businessmen, especially small business owners are dumbasses, horrible at business, shouldn't be in business and all that stuff. Maybe this particular guy is, but maybe he isn't. The fact is, with Pres Obama in office and the possibility of Obamacare becoming a reality, it is going to cost money. LOTS of money. He couldn't have laid people off before the election because he didn't know what was going to happen. Is he jumping the gun? Possibly. Will it come out who he is? Probably. Is he paying substandard wages? We don't know.

As an individual he has to budget his own personal finances according to his income and his bills and spending. Even if he's set his budget at $200k a year, taking away tens of thousands of dollars out of his pocket is going to affect his personal budget. We don't know how wealthy he is or how much debt he has. Unfair to characterize him as greedy with the limited knowledge we have. He could be a total prick, who knows.

As far as right wingers fleeing the country, it's not going to happen. And it's not exactly new news. The same things were said in 2004 after Pres. W Bush was reelected. Lots of liberal minded folk claimed they were moving to Canada to escape his policies. The Washington Post even reported that Canada's immigration website got 600% more hits than normal after Pres. Bush won reelection. It was silly then, and it's silly now. But it's not just the "right wingers" acting like children.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 8:31:56 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
But it's not just the "right wingers" acting like children.

In this post-election, about 95% of them are, though.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt this guy's story and the more I bet he's just some tea party loner type who felt like creating some political buzz from thin air. If he was so interested in being a political-economical martyr, then he should've just announced who he was, just like that hotel guy did. Then the Republicans could rally around his business a la Chick fil A, then he could tell his sob story on Fox, and we could all lament anew what will soon happen here in Obamaville! evil4

As has been said before, people get laid off all the time for lots of reasons. Assuming this is a real guy that employs real people, his reasons for laying people off are his business. But by doing it while invoking Obama publicly, butthurt-style, and doing it the day after an election (allegedly), he loses all credibility as a serious person. Guys like this should make the shun list.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 8:47:33 AM

LadyX wrote:

In this post-election, about 95% of them are, though.

The more I think about it, the more I doubt this guy's story and the more I bet he's just some tea party loner type who felt like creating some political buzz from thin air. If he was so interested in being a political-economical martyr, then he should've just announced who he was, just like that hotel guy did. Then the Republicans could rally around his business a la Chick fil A, then he could tell his sob story on Fox, and we could all lament anew what will soon happen here in Obamaville! evil4

As has been said before, people get laid off all the time for lots of reasons. By invoking Obama publicly, butthurt-style, and doing it the day after an election (allegedly), he loses all credibility as a serious person. Guys like this should make the shun list.

Yes, in this post election it is the conservatives claiming to bolt for Canada. But my point is, both sides do it. Had Romney won (which was never going to happen) there would be some liberals saying the same thing. It's human nature, regardless of political affiliation. It's stupid when anyone does it.

You may be right, but we don't know. Sooner or later we will. He should have just kept his mouth shut, laid off his workers and gone on about his business. I can understand him wanting anonymity, he doesn't have the deep pockets of a national franchise like Chick Fil A. He wouldn't put his family's income at risk by naming himself, although his name is going to come out eventually. He wanted to make a statement, but it may cost him dearly.

I don't think he should lose all credibility as a serious person. It's still a serious issue that needs to be dealt with, he does stand to lose thousands of dollars. He just didn't handle it well. But it's not like he's clubbing baby seals over the head.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 8:52:12 AM

True. But clearly by doing what he did, he cares more about making himself a martyr and voicing his political beliefs than he does about the dignity of his own business or those he's just taken jobs from.

As as aside, how f'ing stupid is it for conservatives to threaten to leave this so-called socialist administration for a country that much more closely resembles *actual* socialist principles?
Hasabrain2
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:36:16 AM

MoonlightSerenity wrote:
CBS Las Vegas

“David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5 KXNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.”

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote. I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first. I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that made sure they were paid. And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.

“I explained to them a month ago that if Obama gets in office that the regulations for Obamacare are gonna hurt our business, and I’m gonna have to make provisions to make sure I have enough money to cover the payroll taxes, the additional health care I’m gonna have to do, and I explained that to them and I said you do what you feel like in your heart you need to do, but I’m just letting you know as a warning this is things I have to think of as a business owner.

“Well unfortunately, and most of my employees are Hispanic — I’m not gonna go into what kind of company I have, but I have mostly Hispanic employees — well unfortunately we know what happened and I can’t wait around anymore, I have to be proactive. I had to lay off 22 people today to make sure that my business is gonna thrive and I’m gonna be around for years to come. I have to build up that nest egg now for the taxes and regulations that are coming my way. Elections do have consequences, but so do choices. A choice you make every day has consequences and you know what, I’ve always put my employees first, but unfortunately today I have to put me and my family first, and you watch what’s gonna happen. I’m just one guy with 114 employees — well was 114 employees — watch what happens in the next six months. The Dow alone lost 314 points today. There’s a tsunami coming and if you didn’t think this election had consequences, just wait.”

Where did those 22 employees get health care before they were fired? The govenment! Paid for with taxes you and I pay. This employer was getting a free ride from Uncle Sam by not doing the socially repsonsbile and offer health care, like other large employers, for his employees. We taxpayers should send him a bill!

ManDee2
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:50:58 AM

another knee jerk reaction by someone who gets behind a desk and forgets what its like to do a proper days work ! and in reality is Obama going to be able to bring all the healthcare and other stuff online if he dosent have the co-operation of Romney and co i bet he failed to mention his huge company car and expense acct and as for only employing hispanic people isnt that considered racial discrimination !
and you will find share values have gone up over the last 2 years so a 300 point drop is a piss in the ocean
one other thing the guy is ajerkit
Dudealicious
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 11:28:39 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

Yes, in this post election it is the conservatives claiming to bolt for Canada.

Fuck that we don't want them!

In all seriousness, this guy is a fraud who wanted to prove his point. I agree with many statements here when you say that small business owners are in it for the money, and they should be!

However when have you ever heard a poor person boast of the fact they don't have any money? Most people are far too embarrassed to admit that and will usually shy away from the subject.

My message to this guy is "get off your fucking soapbox and get back to work!".

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 11:44:30 AM

I have no idea about the Washington Times, no clue if they lean left or right. If that matters. Here is an article on other businesses that will lay people off to account for the loss of money spent on national healthcare.

Washinton Times

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 12:03:54 PM

LOL. Based on the cavalcade of lunatic-fringe* conservative comments below, I'm going to take a wild guess that the Washington Times leans conservative. A quick survey reveals an endless string of "the financial sky is falling" comments, punctuated by the occasional "Obama is a Muslim/Obama is the Devil/Sandra Fluke is a slut" for good measure. Glad to see sense and reason being exercised by the Republicans now that the election is over. Gee, I wonder why they don't appeal to a broader base of voters.

Content-wise, the article's just subtle fear-mongering. Most if not all in that list are far from the easily-sympathized small business, the effects of which, despite much hand-wringing, the next Obama term is far from certain, good or bad. If the argument is that small businesses shouldn't be saddled with Obamacare, fair enough. But what the fuck are Welch-Allyn and Kroger doing not offering health benefits? Obamacare is only changing the needle significantly for companies that didn't offer the benefits and now find themselves compelled by law to do so. Otherwise, health care costs have been rising for decades, just as they will this year, with or without Obamacare.

*or, at this point, mainstream
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 12:23:44 PM

To the democrats here: I am truly curious(I consider myself an independent, and KNOW that I am not an economics major): How do we grow an economy and get people off of public assistance?

I know what makes sense to me. But since there are some very intelligent people on both sides, and no one purposefully wants us to fail, logically that means the left had to have some plan. I am curious what it is and how does it work?

LadyX
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 12:24:18 PM

Georgia Businessman Claims He Fired Workers Due to Obama Victory.

My favorite line from this one:

“I had to lay two full-timers off to get under the 50-person cap,” Stu told C-SPAN. “I tried to make sure that the people I had to lay off voted for Obama.”

Glad to see it has nothing to do with politics, "Stu".