Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Teacher convicted of sex with 18yr old students Options · View
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:50:12 PM

It's so cliche...being hot for teacher and all that. I mean I know it is a fantasy and a theme of interest among some people, but the reality is that it was unethical and inappropriate conduct for her to engage in that behavior with enrolled students regardless if they were all consenting adults or not.

The law is the law whether we like it or not. When you accept a job, you should abide by the ethics that apply therein or be prepared to face the consequences. There were plenty of other people that she could have chosen to do these things with discreetly. I read some of the news coverage regarding this story. She knew that what she was doing was wrong.

I've heard about these things time and time again and it never ceases to amaze me how people will risk their livelihood, their family life and their reputation. I feel sorry for her children and family having to endure the fallout from all of this.

_mal_
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 9:45:00 PM

Uhhh...

They were 18.

Why is this an issue?

Oh, I forgot. We still have Puritans in this country... PROTECT OUR ADULTS CHILDREN FROM THE SEXINGS!

18-year-olds and University professors have been getting it on since Plato in ancient Greece 2300+ years ago. Anyone ever been to college?
deadlogger
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:43:13 PM

She should no longer be allowed to teach, but to send her to prison is outrageous.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:41:55 PM

_mal_ wrote:
Uhhh...

They were 18.

Why is this an issue?

Oh, I forgot. We still have Puritans in this country... PROTECT OUR ADULTS CHILDREN FROM THE SEXINGS!

18-year-olds and University professors have been getting it on since Plato in ancient Greece 2300+ years ago. Anyone ever been to college?

And if you allow 18 yo's to shag their teachers/professors, how do you know a good looking student won't be approached and told "You're not doing well and you're gonna fail the course unless you sleep with me." Before you know it you have pupils getting good grades or they get access to tests before they're sent out or any other advantage because they're willing to put out, especially the ones that are in borderland on whether they should get a C or a D or any other grades. Who's gonna check if the student suddenly has gotten a grade or two better than what he/she should have? You have ANY idea how much money that would require? Schools are already lacking funding, and if they should do revision on the grades teacher's set then you've got a whole lot of more hours that's required to go through things.

This isn't "just" adults having sex.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
principessa
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:45:17 PM

There are roles and professions in society where you have a trust with your client/patient/student that cannot be broken. Many professions have rules against sexual relationships with clients/patients. Teachers are in such a position of trust and clearly there is a power imbalance between teachers and their students. A student might be coerced into sex or threatened with failure in the course. A teacher might be blackmailed by a student and risk the loss of their licence.

Even at 18, and a certain level of maturity, you do not have the wisdom that you would as an equal to a teacher twenty or more years your senior. It is not really an informed consent because of that and the power imbalance. It is also a really messy situation.

People who join professions know and understand the rules of professional conduct. They are there for a reason. The same applies to clergy, coaches, scoutmasters, or anyone else who deals with young or vulnerable people in a position of trust and authority.

This woman should lose her teaching licence. A long jail term is probably not appropriate.

DLizze
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:57:31 PM

Once again, I find myself in whole-hearted agreement with Ms. Principessa, (except that I would have spelled "licence", "license"evil4 )

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Kinky_Becky
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:26:29 PM

This is not as cut and dry as people make it out to be. Sure they are adults, but it's not really the point. She is their teacher, put in a position of authority over them. She has control of their grades, of their futures. As such, they can not be truly consensual. It is much like an employer asking you to have sex with them. It doesn't mean that it's not consensual, but it puts the employee in an unusual position. Can they say no without fear of repercussions? I'm not suggesting such influence was involved here, but I can certainly understand why there are laws in the books to punish these cases. I mean just imagine if this had been a male teacher asking for sexual favors in exchange for grades to honor students. You all would be screaming for his butt to go to jail. These laws allow for that.

I am shocked that she got 5 years in prison, but I also understand that you can't always rely on the media to give 100% of the story.

Jack_42
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:30:12 AM

Unbelievable hypocrisy. 5 years for something that is mainly a gossip item. What would she get for shoplifting death?
Jack_42
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 1:48:43 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:

And if you allow 18 yo's to shag their teachers/professors, how do you know a good looking student won't be approached and told "You're not doing well and you're gonna fail the course unless you sleep with me." Before you know it you have pupils getting good grades or they get access to tests before they're sent out or any other advantage because they're willing to put out, especially the ones that are in borderland on whether they should get a C or a D or any other grades. Who's gonna check if the student suddenly has gotten a grade or two better than what he/she should have? You have ANY idea how much money that would require? Schools are already lacking funding, and if they should do revision on the grades teacher's set then you've got a whole lot of more hours that's required to go through things.

This isn't "just" adults having sex.

The student could go and complain about sexual harassment or threaten to and I'm sure the teacher would have the most to lose even for the subject to be publicly discussed but not proven. And if grades mysteriously got worse there must surely within the US system of education be a means of redress of grievance. (damned if I would fuck somebody or even be able to if they were threatening me. ) If the student felt too self conscious about complaining then there is always good old mum and dad and I'm sure they could make the sparks fly. Of course nobody seems to realise that a student could use this grade thing as a weapon in reverse like "give me good grades or I'll say you wanted to sleep with me and would give me bad grades if I didn't." What would happen to the student if taken to court emasculation? Also why weren't the students who participated with the teacher sentenced as well; they were 18 and participating or is the law so cockeyed it thus discriminates?
elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 3:24:51 AM

Jack_42 wrote:

The student could go and complain about sexual harassment or threaten to and I'm sure the teacher would have the most to lose even for the subject to be publicly discussed but not proven. And if grades mysteriously got worse there must surely within the US system of education be a means of redress of grievance. (damned if I would fuck somebody or even be able to if they were threatening me. ) If the student felt too self conscious about complaining then there is always good old mum and dad and I'm sure they could make the sparks fly.

Believe me, and I know this from experience, you won't have to be their teacher for too long before you see which pupils are under the most amount of pressure and which ones are willing to go the furthest to get a good grade. I'm not talking about a C average student being told "fuck me or you'll fail", but a student that is failing being told "fuck me and I'll pass you".

From what I've heard, the people playing yank football or any other sport affiliated with the school need to have a certain average to be allowed to play. Imagine a promising player being told that he/she is about to get a grade that will kick him/her off the team, but the teacher gives an option. "fuck me a couple of times ,and you'll get the grade you need and you'll continues to play ball and you can show off and get the scolarship you want". Who wouldn't want to make sure their secret is safe with just a few fucks, especially when the stakes are so high. But it can even just be any grade they want to move up just so they can enter the course they really want.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Jack_42
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 3:42:03 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:

Believe me, and I know this from experience, you won't have to be their teacher for too long before you see which pupils are under the most amount of pressure and which ones are willing to go the furthest to get a good grade. I'm not talking about a C average student being told "fuck me or you'll fail", but a student that is failing being told "fuck me and I'll pass you".

From what I've heard, the people playing yank football or any other sport affiliated with the school need to have a certain average to be allowed to play. Imagine a promising player being told that he/she is about to get a grade that will kick him/her off the team, but the teacher gives an option. "fuck me a couple of times ,and you'll get the grade you need and you'll continues to play ball and you can show off and get the scolarship you want". Who wouldn't want to make sure their secret is safe with just a few fucks, especially when the stakes are so high. But it can even just be any grade they want to move up just so they can enter the course they really want.

Well from a personal viewpoint I have no time for competitive sport if people want to do it for fun ok and as for it being so important within education that to me is just a joke you can exercise your body anytime you're supposed to be getting your brain exercised at school. As for the corruption that's everywhere lets admit it. I suppose if it had been proven that these students were thus coerced (leaving aside the contradiction within their ages) then the law might be seen to be working but is this the case? The teacher wants to fuck you and have group sex etc and you're a virile young guy why should you say no if you feel like it? Or does the decision making guideline within the age of 18 suddenly become different in this scenario - like "oh yes they're all grown up and can have control of their lives but only up to a point"? Personally I suspect other motives behind this whole case.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 7:53:44 AM

Jack_42 wrote:

Well from a personal viewpoint I have no time for competitive sport if people want to do it for fun ok and as for it being so important within education that to me is just a joke you can exercise your body anytime you're supposed to be getting your brain exercised at school. As for the corruption that's everywhere lets admit it. I suppose if it had been proven that these students were thus coerced (leaving aside the contradiction within their ages) then the law might be seen to be working but is this the case? The teacher wants to fuck you and have group sex etc and you're a virile young guy why should you say no if you feel like it? Or does the decision making guideline within the age of 18 suddenly become different in this scenario - like "oh yes they're all grown up and can have control of their lives but only up to a point"? Personally I suspect other motives behind this whole case.

You seem to be missing my point. The point I made was that students may use sex as a way to get undeserved grades if we accept teachers shagging students. The reason I brought up the yank football example is because in the US if you're good at a sport you can get a scholarship to a college or university that you normally wouldn't afford.

flytoomuch
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 9:30:48 PM

The potential sentence seems highly excessive to me? Firing maybe, but jail for sex with 18 year olds? She's only 28 herself? C'mon....that's only a 10 year age difference. (John looks around to see if there are any police around?) A lot of us could go to jail if that's illegal.