Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Judge orders woman to wear "idiot" sign. Humiliating or not harsh enough? Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:02:34 PM

"Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid the school bus"

A woman who was caught on video driving along a sidewalk to avoid a stopped school bus has been ordered to wear an 'idiot' sign at the intersection where it happened.
Shena Hardin, 32, of Cleveland pleaded guilty to not stopping for a school bus and reckless operation. A Cleveland Municipal Court judge ordered her driver's license suspended for 30 days and for her to pay $250 in court costs, according to WJW Fox 8.

As part of the sentence, Hardin must also must wear a sign that reads, "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid the school bus" for an hour a day for two days next week at the intersection where the incident occurred, according to Fox 8.

Hardin was arrested on Sept. 11 after a veteran school bus driver Uriah Herron noticed Hardin pull her driving stunt several times and recorded one incident on his cell phone camera.

"We had a very conscientious driver for 30 years. He really cares about his children and he took the extra step that this doesn't happen again," said Cleveland Metropolitan School District bus manager Eric Taylor told newsnet5.com.

The judge's unique sentence predictably has drawn hundreds of comments on social media. Many agree with the sentence, saying more judges should strive for non-traditional penalties. Others however, argue that the punishment is too degrading and humiliating for a motor vehicle violation.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
She
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:40:43 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

The judge's unique sentence predictably has drawn hundreds of comments on social media. Many agree with the sentence, saying more judges should strive for non-traditional penalties. Others however, argue that the punishment is too degrading and humiliating for a motor vehicle violation.

This is just bad, really bad. Non-traditional penalties? Please. Forget the law, lets allow every village to wote for their executional priest who will decide what kind of a penaltie is for who.
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:11:51 PM

How quaint and old-timey of them.
tazznjazz
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:16:21 PM

This seems like the judge over reached his authority just slightlyclown
Americanheart
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:45:38 PM

sounds a bit harsh and the judge over stepped is boundary of his authority

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:25:06 PM

What a cool judge.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:04:42 PM

We'll I'll be damned - A cop when ya need one.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:49:13 PM

Have you ever wondered what percentage of judges aren't wearing any pants under their robe?

The 'idiot' sign doesn't bother me. She earned that sign!

[youtube width=420 height=315]http://www.youtube.com/embed/p5ZkdHImCuQ[/youtube]

Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 8:00:14 PM

I am all for it. I bet she never even thinks about doing that again. It's not like its cruel punishment or anything.
She
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:14:07 PM

What's wrong with you people!? Is this how you are going to educate your children when they make mistake??
Yes she is an idiot no question about it, but that is not the way to solve any problems. Judges are there to re-educate mistakes we do and that is just not the way things should go.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:54:41 AM

Why not just put one of these in every town square? Then have a blackboard next to it and you can put up the different things each person has done. It's perfect! A bit of nostalgia of bringing back the good medieval times. I say you take it a couple steps further and introduce maybe quartering in your executions.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
DLizze
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:01:38 PM

She wrote:
Judges are there to re-educate mistakes we do and that is just not the way things should go.

NO, judges are not seated to educate. They are there to adjudicate the law. If the law says an acceptable punishment is to have the offender post or hold a sign, sobeit. But I strongly doubt that is what the law says. Admittedly, judges' decisions exceed their authority many times; that is why we have a systm of appellate courts. Without law and the legitimacy of law, we are doomed to chaos.

As to the original question, my first reaction is to counter with a question: Is the punishment within the realm of punishments allowed by law? If it is not, then it is wrong, regardless of whether the offender is deserving of it.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:11:29 PM

DLizze wrote:

As to the original question, my first reaction is to counter with a question: Is the punishment within the realm of punishments allowed by law? If it is not, then it is wrong, regardless of whether the offender is deserving of it.

Good point. Do the US laws really allow for humiliation to be used as punishment? Most civilised countries have fines, jail and losing certain rights, like your right to practice medicine and teach and so forth. One dude here who was caught driving without a licence for the 9th time or something like that and already had a life time ban on driving so the court said he wasn't allowed to own a car. But having to wear a sign is damn right humiliation. Have the US society not evolved further than that humiliating the purpetrator even further than just having to live with the shame of a sentence against them, has to be publically humiliated as well? You can say it may have a preventive effect, given that all judges do the same all around the country, not just the single one. And how much will society be willing to accept in the name of preventive effects?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
TheGulfCoaster
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:39:01 PM

Punishment is intended to affect behavior of the convicted, personally, I don't think it was harsh enough. She was endangering children's lives with her asinine behavior.
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:03:50 PM

I think perhaps sometimes extreme measures are called for. Some people are thickheaded and need that extra shove. Who in their right mind would put children in danger by doing something so stupid? If it was just a fine and perhaps a slight suspension of her license she'd just be right back doing it again. This way she can't hide her stupidity and people can say WTF is wrong with you, you self entitled bitch? What makes you more important than our children? I hope someone throws a rotten tomato at her on their way by.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:20:49 PM

So to all of you who think this was an ok punishment, are you also for every city and town having a Stock downtown to place people in such as this woman?

She
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:26:26 AM

DLizze wrote:

NO, judges are not seated to educate. They are there to adjudicate the law. If the law says an acceptable punishment is to have the offender post or hold a sign, sobeit. But I strongly doubt that is what the law says. Admittedly, judges' decisions exceed their authority many times; that is why we have a systm of appellate courts. Without law and the legitimacy of law, we are doomed to chaos.

lol, of course you are right, judges are not there to educate not as you read it anyway. I meant that someone who represents country with their laws, has to have the same dignity that unwritten law requires, with judgment and punishment people should learn something, that is why is there judgement is there, to re-educate people not to make the same mistake. Of course not everyone is fast learner evil4

The Idiot sign is just way out of their authority. It is not democratic, it is not ethical and just rude. I could actually swallow rude but as you said letting slide any exceed of authority is way straight back to black middle ages.
She
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:38:09 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:
So to all of you who think this was an ok punishment, are you also for every city and town having a Stock downtown to place people in such as this woman?

After such hard elections, people are tired, they need some kind of a amusements. maybe to throw rotten eggs and tomatos in them? that sounds like fun and is a punishment, right!
people will be humiliated and for sure they will learn something, they will not brake down, becom revengefull, take their legal gun and kill several people in amusement park! ah, no..that cannot happen in America.
nicola
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:52:58 AM

I think she should be put in stocks, and people can throw rotten fruit at her. That's what we used to do back in England, when I was young, and somebody had wronged.

[/sarcasm]
elitfromnorth
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:17:03 AM

nicola wrote:
I think she should be put in stocks, and people can throw rotten fruit at her. That's what we used to do back in England, when I was young, and somebody had wronged.

[/sarcasm]

You were born in the early 19th century?O_O all hail and bow to Nicola and the wisdom she's gathered through two centuries!

Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:50:38 PM

Creative sentencing has been around for years. With overcrowding not only in prisons/jails and packed court dockets, this seems like a fair choice. Some people just don't learn by following the TNT way of doing things. It's legal and usually does some good with the offender. Bet she doesn't do it again. This woman will learn faster by being shamed and/or humiliated by her peers than she would have been by opening her check book and going back to doing whatever she pleased. Let the punishment fit the crime?
She
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:52:36 PM

sure, sure, oooooor....you guys can bring back Ku Klux Klan, they were quite effective as well in educating and convincing people not to repeat the same mistake again.
LadyX
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:00:55 PM

She wrote:
sure, sure, oooooor....you guys can bring back Ku Klux Klan, they were quite effective as well in educating and convincing people not to repeat the same mistake again.

Could you elaborate on the connection you see between the KKK and non-traditional forms of sentencing? I don't see the connection yet.
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:13:16 PM

She
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:34:29 PM

LadyX wrote:

Could you elaborate on the connection you see between the KKK and non-traditional forms of sentencing? I don't see the connection yet.

Apart that my post was deep sarcasm and mocking this thread, asociation that I got for KKK is Chef's post and the way she expressed herself:...just don't learn, bet she doesn't do it again,she will learn faster if she will be humiliated...
I haven't studied non traditional US laws, but as far as I am familiar it is gray aera giving opportunity to shit like this slide away. Mentioning KKK didn't have racism in mind but their agression, how were they threating, frightening whites if..not obeying their ways.
Personaly, non traditional doesn't feel very democratic to me.
DLizze
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:46:09 PM

The judge clearly is not the brightest bulb in the light string. If he were smart, he'd have sentenced her to a number of hours of community service - to be served acting as a school crossing guard.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
MrNudiePants
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:58:52 PM

"An hour a day, for two days."

My, how humiliating. How devastating. How will this dumb-assed bitch ever stand the shame?

If I were the judge, I would have given her much more than just two measly hours. For everyone complaining about how humiliating that is, imagine the pain that this stupid fuck would have inflicted if she had run over a small child in her idiotic rush to save a few seconds? Seriously - school buses stop for less than a minute. Just long enough to pick up kids, or drop them off. She can't wait for one fucking minute so our future doctors, lawyers, and Presidents can get to school safely? It's not like she only did this one time. She's a repeat dumbass. If waiting for the kids to embark on their bus puts too much of a burden on her busy schedule, can't she take some alternative action to avoid the bus altogether? Something like.... ummmm...... I dunno..... Maybe leaving her house a fucking minute earlier?

Fucking hell. This woman deserves much worse than the punishment she got.

Dani
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2012 10:31:27 PM

She wrote:

What do you mean "Bring them back?" They're still here.

Baby put your arms around me, tell me I'm a problem...

elitfromnorth
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 3:32:26 AM

And you wonder why your country doesn't move forward. Seems nothing has changed and you still keep the mentality of the first pilgrims who came to the US so they could persecute and oppress a bit more than they could back in England. Jolly good show!

DLizze
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 5:06:44 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
If I were the judge, I would have given her much more than just two measly hours. ... Fucking hell. This woman deserves much worse than the punishment she got.

Then we are fortunate that you are not the judge. A judge has a foresworn duty to adjudicate the law. Absent a law allowing him (or her) to award that particular sentence, regardless of whether the defendant deserved it, it should not have been awarded.

Another way of saying this is, any judge who awards a punishment not allowed by the law has beccome a law-breaker, and thereby reduces to being no better than the defendant.