Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Religion, Bad or Good? Options · View
MzRogue
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:57:32 PM

Some religion is not bad. Anything can be bad when there are extremists... people who take it too far. However, I believe religion gives people hope. Some people need something to believe in to give them hope, much like kids believe in Santa Claus and such. So I believe it's not religion that's bad.. it's people who take it too far.
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:21:16 PM

Good if your the priest....Bad if your the alter boy
AnnieLuvsToFu
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:25:35 PM

Good. It give some people comfort when they are in need.
DLizze
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:00:50 AM

People are good or bad.

Religion is neither good nor bad; it merely IS.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
nazhinaz
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:24:53 AM

DLizze wrote:
People are good or bad.

Religion is neither good nor bad; it merely IS.

Lovely. Beautifully expressed about disfuntionality of religion.
Religion IS or was?
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:03:35 PM

A excellent read and an excellent example as to why i do not discuss religion with anyone.Sword Fight
eiffel2007
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:02:31 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

Is not Islam giving false hopes for a heaven for suicide bombers?
Its so vivid; every one can see it.
And Islam is a religion like all others.
And yes, the Koranic verse as translated is" And slaughter them till all the deen (religion) is for god (meanining islam) and there is no fitna (disagreement or disruption).

You rather illustrate why it is dangerous for ill educated people to read scriptures. This article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kabir-helminski/does-the-quran-really-adv_b_722114.html explains why you can't take verses out of context but have to understand the nature of the scripture.

Undoubtedly, scriptures of all the major religions have been misinterpreted (often wilfully)and will continue to be. Just look at Westboro Baptists. There is plenty scope for 21st century readers to skew phrases in centuries old documents written for ancient desert peoples for their own purposes.

The Koran is not immune to this. It was written in a form of classical arabic that is subtly different from modern versions of the language. If one accepts that syriac was the original arabic language then significant changes are made to our understanding of key verses. Those famous 72 virgins in paradise, become 72 raisins. Read this fascinating article for more info http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2002/jan/12/books.guardianreview5l

So the point I'm making is that when people say 'Islam is this' or 'Islam is that', unless you have studied the religion you are almost certainly judging the behaviour of adherents based upon the interpretations that have influenced them. Do the Amish represent christianity? Do gospel churches? catholics, evangelicals.... the list goes on.

One final link - President Bartlett pointing out some of the passages of the bible that christians tend to forget. If it's the word of god you can't pick and choose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHN2yO3QeXU

I am an atheist, but I have studied the world religions. I believe that religion is a way of people seeing order in a chaotic world, and dealing with the fact that our loved ones die around us. It can be a force for good or ill. Which way it goes is down to people.

nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:07:46 AM

eiffel2007 wrote:

You rather illustrate why it is dangerous for ill educated people to read scriptures. This article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kabir-helminski/does-the-quran-really-adv_b_722114.html explains why you can't take verses out of context but have to understand the nature of the scripture.

Undoubtedly, scriptures of all the major religions have been misinterpreted (often wilfully)and will continue to be. Just look at Westboro Baptists. There is plenty scope for 21st century readers to skew phrases in centuries old documents written for ancient desert peoples for their own purposes.

The Koran is not immune to this. It was written in a form of classical arabic that is subtly different from modern versions of the language. If one accepts that syriac was the original arabic language then significant changes are made to our understanding of key verses. Those famous 72 virgins in paradise, become 72 raisins. Read this fascinating article for more info http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2002/jan/12/books.guardianreview5l

So the point I'm making is that when people say 'Islam is this' or 'Islam is that', unless you have studied the religion you are almost certainly judging the behaviour of adherents based upon the interpretations that have influenced them. Do the Amish represent christianity? Do gospel churches? catholics, evangelicals.... the list goes on.

One final link - President Bartlett pointing out some of the passages of the bible that christians tend to forget. If it's the word of god you can't pick and choose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHN2yO3QeXU

I am an atheist, but I have studied the world religions. I believe that religion is a way of people seeing order in a chaotic world, and dealing with the fact that our loved ones die around us. It can be a force for good or ill. Which way it goes is down to people.

I fail to understand your logic.
My basic argument is that religion as an institution was important till the humanity had not developed knowledge and tools to understand nature, forces of nature and
adversities of nature.
Religions presented adversities of nature as wrath on mankind.
Even Moon eclipse and Sun eclipse were considered as wrath of God and there are evidences that Muhammad did offer special prayers at these occassions.
Now, like all institutions, when mankind has equipped himself with appropriate tools to find new knowledge and research, this institution has become a stumbling block in the future advancement of mankind.
Do you think that when there is a Sun or Moon eclipse, should the astronomers research or we should take out a prayer mat and start special prayers to free the Sun and/ or the Moon?
Thats how this institution has become a stumbling bloc in the future advancement of mankind.
We should now place religion into the archieves or history museum; just like the institution of Marriage.
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 2:24:23 PM

Religion itself isn't bad or good; I feel it's more about how people use it.
Boombabong
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:47:59 AM

religions is not the point...men behind could be good or bad... religion has to be use with caution
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:35:46 AM

The Swiss Psychologist Carl Gustav Jung believed there is a 'Religious centre' in the brain. Perhaps religion is an expression of something in the human psyche.Nutbag

In any case - for me, Nihilism and Absurdism are the ways to go.angel7

Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 4:44:29 PM

Looking at the Gaza Strip and Kashmir, I would say BAD, for all of us. Well, at least for those who don't condone armaments, self-righteousness, and ego as counterpoints.
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:16:34 PM

Here's a thought:
The stories in the Bible weren't meant to be taken literally.
They're metaphors, relevant to their time.

What we need are new metaphors, relevant to our time.
Imagine thinking of the planet as God.
paul_moadib
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 5:02:50 PM

Bad in the hands of bad people, good in the hand of good people.
captainkirkland
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:32:35 PM

I think religion is a good thing. Everyone has their own beliefs and it can help guide them throughout their lives. It can create community, a support network when people find each other with similar beliefs. Religion however should be treated as a personal part about your life; don't force your beliefs onto others. That is when trouble starts.
CrossOfStAndrew
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 9:59:42 PM

While there may or may not be a God, religion (and its institutions and dogmas) are entirely man-made and, therefore, fallible (and often is). As such, it can - and has been - used for both good and bad.
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:32:12 PM

The good could be achieved without religion, the bad is usually achieved through its existence.
goodie2shoes
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 4:12:06 PM

I believe that religion a very good thing. It makes people want/try to be a good person. It also give people something to believe in and answer the mysteries of life. It also gives people peace of mind on the topic of death. But religion can be very bad when it is taken to far.
goodie2shoes
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 4:12:46 PM

I believe that religion a very good thing. It makes people want/try to be a good person. It also give people something to believe in and answer the mysteries of life. It also gives people peace of mind on the topic of death. But religion can be very bad when it is taken to far.
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 5:46:15 PM

Why try? Just be, even in the face of derision. Believe in each other although most are probably skeptical since the only mystery is why we can't be good to one another. Don't suck as a person, be great, even if others suck. They're probably that way cause someone else fell short of their duty.
Thatgurl
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 7:24:53 PM

for me, good
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 9:24:25 PM

As a former Muslim:::: this is the truth

http://youtu.be/E4cL-Zcxa9M

Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 9:40:39 PM

That guy is all the more reason to never become an addict. 12 steps of that, and I'd kill myself.
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2013 9:48:16 PM

Religion itself is not bad. Nor is it good. Religion is also not in the middle. Religion is a choice. It's what people do in that religion. What they do for that religion. The good, bad, or middle of religion is purely caused by what the person in that religion does for their religion. And therefore, religion is none of thee above.
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:28:12 PM

When you entrust your sanity and belief to a hire power, arguably made up, and then believe that the hire power speaks through you and moves you towards some ends counter to rationale, its bad.

PS: When it also lays there in it's unfettered high ground while telling you to support it through your dime and unquestionable loyalty. It's also bad.
nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:47:42 AM

[quote=Oberon]Here's a thought:

Imagine thinking of the planet as God.[/quote

Good idea to think of the planet as God.
Why limit it to planet?
Why can't we be Gods for ourselves and for the Universe too.

Why should we need a metaphor?
Why can't we think scientifically ( knowledge based).
Sure human knowledge will change and amend as it always dp/
But we know for sure what we understand at present is to the best of our knowledge.
Trust human knowledge. Be GOD.
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 7:13:23 PM

nazhinaz wrote:
[quote=Oberon]Here's a thought:

Imagine thinking of the planet as God.[/quote

Good idea to think of the planet as God.
Why limit it to planet?
Why can't we be Gods for ourselves and for the Universe too.

Why should we need a metaphor?
Why can't we think scientifically ( knowledge based).
Sure human knowledge will change and amend as it always dp/
But we know for sure what we understand at present is to the best of our knowledge.
Trust human knowledge. Be GOD.

The problem is, we ARE gods of the planet - reckless, petty, irresponsible ones.
Ask any species we've wiped out.
Look at Mount Rushmore, or any facet of God we've defaced.
Look at the oceans we've polluted, or the air,
the mountains we've strip-mined, the rain forests we have cut down and burned
so we could graze Big Macs we eat too many of,
(while parts of the world are starving)-
or the thousands upon thousands of our fellows
we've killed in the name of 'righteousness.'

'God' is a metaphor for something larger than ourselves,
the personification of forces we could not comprehend,
hence Thor, the god of thunder, Neptune, ruler of the sea,
Pluto, ruler of the underworld, Jupiter (or Zeus),
the supreme ruler of the gods, and of the sky, who threw down lightning bolts.
Abraham just wrapped them into one.

Yes, we need to think of ourselves as gods - it's about time we accepted our responsibilities,
instead of abdicating them, and sloughing them off onto 'God above.'

But there IS something larger than ourselves: Nature. The planet. The universe.
It's time we learned to respect it, AND ourselves.
Thinking of the planet as God, and imbuing it with all the honor, awe, and fear,
we give to a mythological invention, would be a start.

Frank Lloyd Wright said it best: "I believe in God, only I spell it n-a-t-u-r-e."
I say: God the planet, God the sun, God the universe.

nazhinaz
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 11:30:10 PM

Oberon wrote:

The problem is, we ARE gods of the planet - reckless, petty, irresponsible ones.
Ask any species we've wiped out.
Look at Mount Rushmore, or any facet of God we've defaced.
Look at the oceans we've polluted, or the air,
the mountains we've strip-mined, the rain forests we have cut down and burned
so we could graze Big Macs we eat too many of,
(while parts of the world are starving)-
or the thousands upon thousands of our fellows
we've killed in the name of 'righteousness.'

'God' is a metaphor for something larger than ourselves,
the personification of forces we could not comprehend,
hence Thor, the god of thunder, Neptune, ruler of the sea,
Pluto, ruler of the underworld, Jupiter (or Zeus),
the supreme ruler of the gods, and of the sky, who threw down lightning bolts.
Abraham just wrapped them into one.

Yes, we need to think of ourselves as gods - it's about time we accepted our responsibilities,
instead of abdicating them, and sloughing them off onto 'God above.'

But there IS something larger than ourselves: Nature. The planet. The universe.
It's time we learned to respect it, AND ourselves.
Thinking of the planet as God, and imbuing it with all the honor, awe, and fear,
we give to a mythological invention, would be a start.

Frank Lloyd Wright said it best: "I believe in God, only I spell it n-a-t-u-r-e."
I say: God the planet, God the sun, God the universe.

I agree that we, the Gods of the Earth ( at least ) DID abdicate our responsibilities.
But don't you feel the man has started feeling as God as we are now doing our best to put the nature right?
Now Mr. Al Gore and millions like him are bothered to bring the balance again in favor of nature.
Now Bill Gates and thousands like him are giving billions of dollars to bring medicines, housing and food to the underprivileged.
Now hybrid and hydrogen cars are becoming part of our daily life.
Now heating of houses is being taken care by solar panels.

ONCE we, as living beings of this earth start thinking for the betterment of this earth, the ozone layer above us and
the poor, uneducated, deprived; WE START ACTING AS GODS.
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:34:10 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

I agree that we, the Gods of the Earth ( at least ) DID abdicate our responsibilities.
But don't you feel the man has started feeling as God as we are now doing our best to put the nature right?
Now Mr. Al Gore and millions like him are bothered to bring the balance again in favor of nature.
Now Bill Gates and thousands like him are giving billions of dollars to bring medicines, housing and food to the underprivileged.
Now hybrid and hydrogen cars are becoming part of our daily life.
Now heating of houses is being taken care by solar panels.

ONCE we, as living beings of this earth start thinking for the betterment of this earth, the ozone layer above us and
the poor, uneducated, deprived; WE START ACTING AS GODS.

I live in Toronto.
Our streets were flooded recently with unprecedented rain.
Calgary, the home of many oil companies, was deluged weeks ago.
New York and New Orleans suffered far worse fates.
Once-in-a-lifetime storms now happen every year.

If I believed in god, I'd say he's sending us a message - hundreds of them.
We're not listening, ("Hang on, god," said Noah. "A call from my broker's coming in.")
43% percent of us deny that Global Warming is man-made.

Al Gore warned (7 years ago, with An Inconvenient Truth, 21 years ago with Earth In The Balance),
that if we didn't stop using fossil fuels, Global Warming would become unstoppable.
We didn't stop.
We no longer talk of preventing Global Warning, but talk instead of dealing with 'climate change,'
(as if it was the change of life - as if it was an inevitable fact of nature - rather than the result of
criminal irresponsibility on our part).

We are beyond the tipping point. What we're seeing is the tip of the iceberg, (which of course,
are disappearing, like snowmen in spring).

Yet we keep fucking God with fracking drills and oil pumpjacks, sucking up the oil and gas
like insects with our long proboscises, lighting up and smoking God to death.
(interesting when you think we inhale oxygen, and breathe out carbon dioxide,
while plants breathe carbon in, and exhale oxygen. Fossil fuels are mostly millions-of-years-old plants,
so what we're burning is the breath of all our ancestors, while what we're leaving for our grandchildren to breathe, is death).

Yes, we have a few electric cars. Why aren't they mandatory?
We have solar panels. We've had them since the 1970s.
I can see 16 apartment buildings, and 4 office buildings, from my balcony, with new ones being built.
Not one of them has solar panels. You do the math: 20 buildings with an average 30 stories each, times 25 tenants per floor...)

Toronto and Calgary are mopping up.
Thankfully, the oilfields weren't hit.
We can keep the lights on, while we fuck God in the ass, ('cause we like watching the expression on its face).

Al Gore also warned of our exploding population boom, (a quarter billion at the time of Christ, half-a-billion by the time of Columbus - doubling in 1500 years, 1 billion when the Declaration of Independence was signed, - doubling in 300 years, 2 billon when my generation was born - less than 200 years later, and doubling from 2, to 4, to almost 8 billion in our lifetime...Again, you do the math).

Heard a lot recently, about limiting the number of babies we pop out, like Pez dispensers in the oil-byproduct, discount, candy bin?

Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:10:02 PM

This is more relevant to me than the existence of god.

Professional athletes have not been able to pitch one straight and over the mound. And my man Geddy did. You 'da man baby.

Koufax would be proud.