Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you think people can show how ignorant they are just by... Options · View
MarySweets
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:57:54 PM

I was watching this clip from the Ali G show starring (Sascha Baron Cohen) and it had a segmant of "Travels of Borat".

This clip below shows Sascha Baron Cohen as his alter-ego Borat (who we know is strongly anti-semetic) as he sings in a bar about how Jewish people were ruining his country and the Jews should be "thrown down the well".

While he is singing this the patrons of the bar happily sing along to his song (unaware that he is just an actor) even though the lyrics get more and more disturbing the partons contiune to sing along.

Does this clip show that people can be openly ignorant even if it is just by being influenced by a racist singer.

Note: Sascha Baron Cohen is in fact very devoted to Judasim though I think he likes to show that people can be openly ignorant without knowing it.

What do you guys think?

"Sexual pleasure in woman is a kind of magic spell; it demands complete abandon; if words or movements oppose the magic of caresses, the spell is broken."

Simone de Beauvoir
kylie_kained
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:40:36 PM

Sascha Baron Cohen should not be a comedian let alone a singer, as for his views on religion I didn't know had never realized but has now given me the fact that if I do see him as ever to be take serious.

Ruthie
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 1:01:05 PM

The people in this bar may sing anti-Semitic songs on a daily basis. This might not be something unusual for them. If he'd been singing a song that was anti-black or anti-gay he would have had just as many people singing merrily along. These people are bigots. Bigots who have had too much to drink. They are drunk on ignorance as well as alcohol. I wonder how many of the guys in the bar have Nazi tattoos under their clothes. It's easy to make a video like this if you choose the right bar. In another bar he might have been booed off stage.
LadyX
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 1:15:39 PM

I really like Sacha Baron Cohen, in just about everything he's done. I think his biggest comedic gift is the way he interacts with people, and on the surface seems to be clowning them, but in the end, they're the ones that end up exposing themselves as hateful/ignorant/vapid.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 1:26:45 PM

LadyX wrote:
I really like Sacha Baron Cohen, in just about everything he's done. I think his biggest comedic gift is the way he interacts with people, and on the surface seems to be clowning them, but in the end, they're the ones that end up exposing themselves as hateful/ignorant/vapid.

Same. I'm a huge fan, going back to his Ali G days (some of his most brilliant material, in my opinion, was using his Ali G character). All his films are meant to be provocative and controversial. It's the baseline for a lot of modern comedians, he just does it in a more explosive way.

I hear his next film is based on that story in the news recently of the Hong Kong billionaire that was trying to find a husband for his lesbian daughter by paying them $10 million.