Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

are the Evolutionary Psychologists right? Do women really prefer the dominant alpha-male asshole typ Options · View
ByronLord
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:44:03 AM

overmykneenow wrote:

(Sidenote: number of times "genes" are mentioned in On the Origin of Species = 0)

I haven't seen anything EP can answer that basic psychology can't, but I have seen it misused.

If you want to present something as scientific then do it in a scientific way. If you want to have a debate be prepared for people to disagree.

Well there really shouldn't be any incompatibility between EP and P as the idea of EP is that it describes how we arrived at P.

EP is not a pseudo-science. It is however a science that is based on a theory that is often used in highly unscientific ways. The same is true of economics, there is no doubt that economics is a science, or at least has been since Keynes started using computers (analog) to test hypotheses. But there is really no scientific basis for the claim that cutting taxes on billionaires who pay a 15% rate will increase revenues. Thats just an assertion by a bunch of cranks and charlatans that a lot of billionaires are willing to pay good money to promote.

If alpha males really did get all the women then we would only have alpha males. Experimental studies of chimps show that the alpha males are only slightly more successful.

The same is not true of (say) lions where the alpha male is top cat and gets all the females to the exclusion of all the other males until another male beats him in a fight.

Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:47:15 AM

ArthurG77 wrote:

I don't know your relationship with him. But it appears i have touched a raw nerve with you. "hiding behind a finger"?? how on earth is that relevant? And i don't see his face either. Please explain what you think survival of the fittest means. I'm not here to get involved in petty bickering with people. Again apologies if my words offend Which they clearly have. Hey I'm a nice gy afterallBig Hugs

OMKN is the 'dominant alpha-male asshole typ' ....that's why all the cute girls are backing him up. They're all fighting over him, they lurrrrrve him. Eye roll.

Here's how I see it: whilst I believe that we are attracted to those who make good 'mates'....I only believe this to a degree. The reality is that humans are not really living 'survival of the fittest' any more (in first world countries, anyway). We have medicine, benefits, cosy houses where your irritable relatives can look after you....we eat and drink beyond the point our bodies can handle - survival of the fittest does not exist in that sense any more for humans.

If we go with this 'women are, in an underlying, built in, manner attracted to the best mates' theory then, in the same breath, men should be attracted to the women most likely to be able to successfully carry their baby. Is this true? No. The woman most likely to be able to successfully carry a child is healthy, active, curvy (got to have the right hips/pelvis) and so on. Many men are attracted to women considerably overweight and many men are attracted to the straight up and down boy-type figure.

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Asshole..... Dominant/Confident/Alpha Guy.... Nice/Resourceful/Solid/Beta Guy.... Whiny/Passive-Aggressive/Nice Guy

I liked this part of DD's post. I don't go for dominant/confident/alpha guy....I go for the beta guy. I don't want an overpoweringly confident guy who's going to attempt to dominate everyone and everything but I do want a man who can stand up for himself and put me back in my box when I deserve to be knocked down a peg or two.

So, here what happens back in animal terms:

The alphas and the beaters have a tiff about who's in charge, the alpha wins. The alpha then comes trit-trotting in, head held high, he goes and picks the best looking female to do the dirty with. He's the alpha, so she goes along with it. While the alpha is occupied the beta comes in, spends a bit more time making his choice, and woos his pick....they go off and do the dirty.

The 'nice guy' doesn't even get to knock antlers with the big boys. He goes home with his tail between his legs.
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:11:33 AM

LittleBambi wrote:

OMKN is the 'dominant alpha-male asshole typ' ....that's why all the cute girls are backing him up. They're all fighting over him, they lurrrrrve him. Eye roll.

Or, he simply made coherent sense in this thread.

I agree with much of what you said though, about modern life and it's comforts subverting what was probably at one time a purely biologically driven set of preferences. Personally, I tend to think that each of have slightly different "needs" that we probably don't even recognize on a genetics level, but, allowing the influences of media and culture as well, it drives who and what we're attracted to.
crazydiamond
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:13:27 AM

LittleBambi wrote:

kekekegay .

LittleBambi !!! Are you telling me after all this time you think I'm cute?? Damn girl! WINKS

Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:33:39 AM

LadyX wrote:

I agree with much of what you said though, about modern life and it's comforts subverting what was probably at one time a purely biologically driven set of preferences. Personally, I tend to think that each of have slightly different "needs" that we probably don't even recognize on a genetics level, but, allowing the influences of media and culture as well, it drives who and what we're attracted to.

I agree - I was just fun pokingfish

I agree with that too....people are attracted to different 'types' for different reasons. Some are externally influenced (as you mentioned with media, culture etc) and some are more 'internal' - by this I mean the female's own personality. I can think of a lot of girls who need a dominant guy because they'd walk all over anyone that's anything less than that...but it doesn't follow that all people that are 'dominant' are also 'assholes'. They can often be perceived thus because they tend to go with their own opinions/thoughts/decisions.

crazydiamond wrote:

kekekegay .

LittleBambi !!! Are you telling me after all this time you think I'm cute?? Damn girl! WINKS

I've been looking for a way to tell you for so long nowd'oh! Shhh

....... evil4
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:39:55 AM

LadyX wrote:

And that's been the jist of what's been discussed in this thread. Its why I have been urging people to read the whole thread. I have said that according to scientific study mates have biological urges that attract them to certain characteric traits when selecting. You have just agreed with that. I have discussed the subject at length here as well as other contributers and posted links to some articles on the subject. Yet omkn is the only one to make coherent sense? Sigh.....
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:54:36 AM

ArthurG77 wrote:

And thats the jist of what's been discussed in this thread. its why I have been urging people to read the whole thread. I have said that according to scientific study mates have biological urges that attract them to certain characteric traits when selecting. You have just agreed with that. I have discussed the subject at length here as well as other contributers and posted links to some articles on the subject. Yet omkn is the only one to make coherent sense? Sigh.....

LadyX didn't say he was the only one making coherent sense. She was replying specifically to a previous post. And as you so many times have requested here, she's reading the entire thread. Also, as a side note.... the self-congratulatory sentiments are getting tiresome.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
crazydiamond
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:58:28 AM

lafayettemister wrote:

LadyX didn't say he was the only one making coherent sense. She was replying specifically to a previous post. And as you so many times have requested here, she's reading the entire thread. Also, as a side note.... the self-congratulatory sentiments are getting tiresome.

Sighs

The whole thread has been read Arthur, many times, the whole thread, the WHOLE thing. Most posters generally do.

Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:07:08 PM

crazydiamond wrote:

Sighs

The whole thread has been read Arthur, many times, the whole thread, the WHOLE thing. Most posters generally do.

Thank you.
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:08:26 PM

lafayettemister wrote:

Thanks. Yes, if I am honest, I probably have been self-congratulatory.
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:14:40 PM

LittleBambi wrote:

I liked this part of DD's post. I don't go for dominant/confident/alpha guy....I go for the beta guy. I don't want an overpoweringly confident guy who's going to attempt to dominate everyone and everything but I do want a man who can stand up for himself and put me back in my box when I deserve to be knocked down a peg or two.

So, here what happens back in animal terms:

The alphas and the beaters have a tiff about who's in charge, the alpha wins. The alpha then comes trit-trotting in, head held high, he goes and picks the best looking female to do the dirty with. He's the alpha, so she goes along with it. While the alpha is occupied the beta comes in, spends a bit more time making his choice, and woos his pick....they go off and do the dirty.

The 'nice guy' doesn't even get to knock antlers with the big boys. He goes home with his tail between his legs.

Thanks for your input. Good stuff. Culture is also a major factor in shaping our tastes in 'traits' when mate selcting. Also (And it hasn't been discussed much here) the parenting we recieve as children also contribute to what we are attracted to in a mate in adulthood. As for what men seek from women, that hasn't been touched upon in this thread as much. I have posted some articles you may find interesting on here that goes into depths about what each gender are attracted too.

Thanks again -
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:40:36 PM

I think this thread has been completely exhausted now. All that needs to be said has been said. I have learnt some stuff along the way. I would like to say thank you for the contributors who put accross their theories and beliefs on the subject. I will no longer be visiting this thread from now on. If anyone feels they need to tell me anything, then you are welcome to pm me. (But please, No abusive messages). I hope the discussion on 'mate selection' continues without my invovement, but I feel I have no more to contribute here.

I will leave on a funny note. I saw something on facebook that George Carlin said, something along the lines of ths: All you need to know about men and women, is that women are crazy, and men are stupid. And the reason women are crazy is because men are stupid
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:48:56 PM

I think this thread should turn into a whac-a-mole style game...you win a point if you catch ArthurG77 checking in on this post after claiming he shan't visit it again fish

'I won't be checking back here'....the most regular lie told on Lush evil4

freakycactus
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:53:58 PM

LittleBambi wrote:
I think this thread should turn into a whac-a-mole style game...you win a point if you catch ArthurG77 checking in on this post after claiming he shan't visit it again fish

10 points if you're the first to post after he comes back and finds something else to add to the discussion

crazydiamond
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:54:16 PM

LittleBambi wrote:

You made me laugh!!! that's like 1000 points bonus in whac-a-mole!!!

Shylass
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:56:47 PM

Hiya. My name is Daisy, and I am a woman.

I like kind men who will take me by the hand and share gingerbread cookies with me. I like them to be able to tell me to be quiet if I am talking too much, but always say please at the end of it. love7

I don't know how I fit in your funny little theory (I thought EPs were pretty yellow ribbons some people got on their stories), but here are some cookies for anybody who would like some:

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:38:13 AM

What a fascinating thread. The OP made a major fuck up. He started the Topic about one thing then tried to fill the pages with another thing. Little wonder he got such a back lash.Nutbag

Like most forum pages I've seen on other sites that try to deal with 'deep thinking' issues, it's full of people trying to punch above their intellectual weight.
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:41:51 AM

crazydiamond wrote:

Evolution then, right here right now- He's buff with a smart ass mouth! You are are hiding behind a finger with a smart ass mouth... survival of the fittest.

Jesus Fucking Wept! laughing2
overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:11:02 AM

NewWaveDave wrote:
What a fascinating thread. The OP made a major fuck up. He started the Topic about one thing then tried to fill the pages with another thing. Little wonder he got such a back lash.Nutbag

Like most forum pages I've seen on other sites that try to deal with 'deep thinking' issues, it's full of people trying to punch above their intellectual weight.

How insightful - criticise everyone and yet offer nothing. It's a great shame you joined on exactly the same day that Arthur left, I have a feeling you would have had a hell of a lot in common.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
freakycactus
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:13:57 AM

overmykneenow wrote:

How insightful - criticise everyone and yet offer nothing. It's a great shame you joined on exactly the same day that Arthur left, I have a feeling you would have had a hell of a lot in common.

Ding, ding, ding! 10 points! Applause

overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:14:41 AM

freakycactus wrote:

Ding, ding, ding! 10 points! Applause

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:18:48 AM

overmykneenow wrote:

Evolution right in front of our eyes. Or reincarnation perhaps?

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:23:42 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

Evolution right in front of our eyes. Or reincarnation perhaps?

Ressurection Lush style.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."