What would you like help with?

last reply
6 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
We are putting together a series of articles to help writers with common problems / issues / obstacles.

The articles will start off with the basics initially, and will be added to on an ongoing basis.

Examples:

- Paragraphing / formatting
- Punctuation
- Choosing POV
- Plot elements / ideas / location
- Creating realism
- Character development

As a writer, what would you like help with?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
We are putting together a series of articles to help writers with common problems / issues / obstacles.

The articles will start off with the basics initially, and will be added to on an ongoing basis.

Examples:

- Paragraphing / formatting
- Punctuation
- Choosing POV
- Plot elements / ideas
- Creating realism
- Character development

As a writer, what would you like help with?

I would like to suggest that some type of “Writers Digital Workshops” accompany the articles. Choosing POV, plot elements, creating realism and character development for example can easily be crafted into workshop type exercises. In my view this would would take a passive system, that is a set of references and foster their use as a learning tool.

The success of any workshop is dependent on enthusiastic participation. What would accomplish this would be to get a prior commitment to participate from interested authors and moderators. This prior commitment would guarantee the workshops had a chance of success. Having individuals participating that are looked up to, like moderators and popular authors, will encourage others to join it. I believe an idea like “Writers Digital Workshops” has merit. There are tremendous possibilities for success.
Constant Gardener
0 likes
What are the differences between writing in past, present and future tenses. Sometimes, I write in all three, within a scenario, and I don't do it very well. Proofreading and then editing myself afterwords is a real bitch.

Trying to explain to another author that they are doing similar, and how confusing it is to the audience, is not fun.
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Matriarch
0 likes
Thanks Wmm.

Good idea too Kyle. That could be something we look into doing next.

The main point of this is initially, is putting together a reference library, so if an author is making a common error, we can point them to the relevant article when rejecting their story. Articles will be linked to from the Admin page to make the job easier for Moderators.

I'm a firm believer of self-help, teach a man to fish etc. I went through a stage of correcting hundreds of stories when I first started the site, and many of the authors would treat it like a free editing service, and then make the same mistakes in their next submissions. If they learn the fundamental principles, then that will help with not only their stories on here, but written communication in business and elsewhere.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nicola
Thanks Wmm.

Good idea too Kyle. That could be something we look into doing next.

The main point of this is initially, is putting together a reference library, so if an author is making a common error, we can point them to the relevant article when rejecting their story. Articles will be linked to from the Admin page to make the job easier for Moderators.

I'm a firm believer of self-help, teach a man to fish etc. I went through a stage of correcting hundreds of stories when I first started the site, and many of the authors would treat it like a free editing service, and then make the same mistakes in their next submissions. If they learn the fundamental principles, then that will help with not only their stories on here, but written communication in business and elsewhere.

The point is well taken, the idea is solid. I like it a lot.

Oh man, that bump is gross, if I was that woman I would throw up.