Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should creationism be taught in schools? Options · View
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:19:18 PM

The key is, while most will hide behind altruism, that they don't want you to have a choice. Choices, reasoning, thought are contrary to dogma, theocracy, and the hive that will spew if this bullshit keeps happening in more states. But of course, we will all be more enlightened, and saved.
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:44:26 PM

Jack_42
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 12:18:57 AM

True freedom means not having any subject imposed upon you so I suppose without going into the practicalities or impracticalities of choosing to have or not to have an education a fairer system could possibly be designed along those lines. Otherwise we are all slaves to some belief or other. Children have no choice about being born yet we impose all our cultural aspects on them as if we have the right and they have none; yet we are responsible for their arrival not them. I feel there is a sort of contradiction in this.
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 1:57:33 AM

Absolutely not. Early on in science class, you learn the scientific method, forming and then testing a hypothesis. Creationism has absolutely no scientific basis. In fact, one only has to read the first page of the Bible to disprove it. According to the Bible, God created light on the first day, then divided night and day. Problem is, he didn't create the sun until days later. Since the source of light is the sun, theory disproven. Not only that, there are actually two distinct stories of how man was created. First, the Bible tells us that God said, "Let there be man," and man suddenly appeared. But then it says that God formed him out of mud and breathed life into him. So which is it?
ByronLord
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 5:29:43 AM

ArtMan wrote:

These radical Christians mostly work and pay taxes, own homes, do not sponge off the government, and send their children to college. Maybe I don't agree with a lot of their ideas but without them who would foot the bill. The liberals? HA They want to receive more than they give, not a solid concept.

I would rather see Christians teach their creationism in their Sunday schools and schools concentrate on science. Mostly though, I would like to see American public schools aspire to be on par with the rest of the industrialized world. We have fallen behind Europe and Japan badly in mathematics and science.

That is completely untrue. The liberal states on the coasts all pay far more in taxes than they receive from the federal government. Which is what you would expect, wealthy New York, Boston, LA, Chicago, the Bay area all contribute much more in taxes than is spent.

The South receives far more than it pays for several reasons. One is that a lower proportion of the population is educated and there are fewer well paid jobs. But the main reason is that industries like oil and gas get massive tax writeoffs that allow the old money 1% to avoid paying much tax at all.

The effect is even more clear when you look at politicians who blather on about government subsidies. Bush made his money in a crooked land deal where the state gave the baseball team he was part owner of a massive and unnecessary subsidy to build a new ball park. They also received the ability to use eminent domain to 'buy' land from others near the stadium for 20 cents on the dollar. Cheney made his money from a company, Halliburton that gets 80% of its revenues from government contracts.

Buz
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2012 6:11:09 AM

The states in the green pay in more taxes than they receive. The darker green means the higher percentage they pay in. The darkest red is the states that receive the most money versus what they pay in. It looks to be a fairly even balance between conservative and liberal states. (through 2009)

I have written a new poem. It is called 'Long Twisty Woman.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/long-twisty-woman.aspxx
Also, if you wish, check out my co-authored a story with the wonderful DanielleX. It is called 'Focus on Sex.'
You can read it at: http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/focused-on-sex-1.aspx

MuchoCurious
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:23:33 PM

Lurker wrote: no. no and well um, no. there is no proof of any kind that creationism occurred..it can barely be considered a theory. and re-naming it "intelligent design" doesnt fly either. give me one shred of evidence and ill consider it..till then i rank creationism right up there with santa.
That was a perfect answer but I kept reading. Many good answers. Then I found another keeper. Lo and behold, it was also from Lurker.
nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:53:34 AM

KinkyLisa4rp wrote:
Absolutely not. Early on in science class, you learn the scientific method, forming and then testing a hypothesis. Creationism has absolutely no scientific basis. In fact, one only has to read the first page of the Bible to disprove it. According to the Bible, God created light on the first day, then divided night and day. Problem is, he didn't create the sun until days later. Since the source of light is the sun, theory disproven. Not only that, there are actually two distinct stories of how man was created. First, the Bible tells us that God said, "Let there be man," and man suddenly appeared. But then it says that God formed him out of mud and breathed life into him. So which is it?

Perfect.
Creationism can't stand the test of knowledge and when imparting knowledge, we must abstain from imparting faith.
Knowledge is what has become known to us over centuries, rather millions of years of our existance.
What I want to convey is that instead of finding a logic and reason from the holy scripts, we should always follow knowledge as it has led us to.
Never bother if the knowledge is imperfect; humanity will keep improving, disproving the wrong and bringing forth the better, as best we can never attain.
Best can only be an ideal to work for.
And knowledge is tested, proved or improved by seeking more knowledge, whereas holy scripts stops one to search for any improvement in the knowledge.
Californiaman
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 3:09:44 PM

No, no, a thousand times "NO!"
nazhinaz
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:12:08 AM

Californiaman wrote:
No, no, a thousand times "NO!"

ANY SCIENTIFIC OR LOGICAL REASON FOR THAT THOUSAND NO?
classifieddivafiles
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:46:09 AM

My response may go a little above and beyond the scope of the question asked but here goes. I’ll probably get raked f for saying this but I give a strong YES creationism should be taught in school. Does it have to be taught in a science class? Not really. However, in some way shape or form it should be a mandatory class taught to all students. Why shouldn’t they be presented with the facts that of both and allowed to draw their own conclusions? Before they taught the scientific method it was “Creationism” that was taught in school. We are left at a serious disadvantage by waiting to the last minute to teach creationism to the youth of this country. No matter what you believe creationism is a valid theory.
Ryario_Darkstar
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:47:52 PM

Dont remember if I posted about this or not but.......

MY answer is NO..... not because of my bias towards the christan faith,

simply because it is a theory and not proven fact at the same time the big bang theory should also not be taught, for it is a theory and all creation story are all theory. No one was around when the earth was created and you can speculate all you want unless time travel becomes possle we will never know...EVER....

accept that as fact...... :P
nazhinaz
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 12:02:21 AM

Ryario_Darkstar wrote:
Dont remember if I posted about this or not but.......

MY answer is NO..... not because of my bias towards the christan faith,

simply because it is a theory and not proven fact at the same time the big bang theory should also not be taught, for it is a theory and all creation story are all theory. No one was around when the earth was created and you can speculate all you want unless time travel becomes possle we will never know...EVER....

accept that as fact...... :P

Do you still think that Big Bang is still a theory?
Even after the final proof of Higg's particle in a lab by constant research of over 7,000 scientists for over 2 years at a cost of $ 10 Billions?
If the big bang is still a theory for you, well I can certainly say it is no more a theory for a vast majority of scientists all over the World now.
Yep, there was no one when Big Bang took place. No one existed materially before Big Bang, not even the concept of God.
But has anyone seen the Creator?
Surely a big NO for that too.
And if we do not teach about the creation of this universe, sun, stars and moon, how are we going to satisfy the yearnings of young growing minds?
Teach them, make them learn and once they learnt, they will investigate themselves one day what holds truth and what is falsehood.
Leaning is first step to investigation.
Kitanica
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 12:44:16 AM

No, separation of church and state one, 2 school should be a place where we teach kids facts.
nazhinaz
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 2:08:59 AM

Garza wrote:
No, separation of church and state one, 2 school should be a place where we teach kids facts.

Absolutely true.
Schools should teach knowledge, acquired by human beings over millions of years of learning, investigating and proving.
Issue already settled should no more be questioned.
Gravity stands finally proved; if we debate about it as if moon and stars are held on the "sky" by a supernatural, it will mean teaching absurdity.
You summarized my views so beautifully.
WELL DONE.
Milik_Redman
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 3:31:53 AM

The "big bang", evolution, and relativity are still technically theories but there is such a huge amount of anocdotal evidence supporting them that to still doubt them is unwarranted. Creationism could actually fit into the scientific model but still should not be taught as there is no factual evidence supporting it at all.
Science is best at telling us how the univers functions, religion is a philosophical attempt at teaching us why we exist. It should be left for adults to study at their leisure, not drilled into children at public schools

“It is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/cheating/a-trans-atlantic-affair.aspx
nazhinaz
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:06:39 AM

Milik_The_Red wrote:
The "big bang", evolution, and relativity are still technically theories but there is such a huge amount of anocdotal evidence supporting them that to still doubt them is unwarranted. Creationism could actually fit into the scientific model but still should not be taught as there is no factual evidence supporting it at all.
Science is best at telling us how the univers functions, religion is a philosophical attempt at teaching us why we exist. It should be left for adults to study at their leisure, not drilled into children at public schools

By not teaching the scientific knowledge about the coming into being of this universe, sun, moon and stars will mean creating a complete void in the minds of young kids.
And this void may be filled in by Creationism being taught at home or elsewhere through Bible, Koran or such "Holy" scripts.
Will it not mean filling the minds with unscientific knowledge?
Milik_Redman
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:09:30 AM

nazhinaz wrote:

By not teaching the scientific knowledge about the coming into being of this universe, sun, moon and stars will mean creating a complete void in the minds of young kids.
And this void may be filled in by Creationism being taught at home or elsewhere through Bible, Koran or such "Holy" scripts.
Will it not mean filling the minds with unscientific knowledge?

This is in agreement with my point. What I said was "It (creationism, the subject of the thread) should be left for adults to study at their leisure, not drilled into children at public schools. If I had meant both science and religion I would have said they, not it.

That said, I do feel a parent has the right to teach their own children whatever they feel is proper about religion. Is there not a place in their life for something other than science? And who better then their parents is qualified to determine what values they should be taught inside their home?

“It is a great thing to know your vices.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/cheating/a-trans-atlantic-affair.aspx
nazhinaz
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:46:15 AM

Milik_The_Red wrote:

This is in agreement with my point. What I said was "It (creationism, the subject of the thread) should be left for adults to study at their leisure, not drilled into children at public schools. If I had meant both science and religion I would have said they, not it.

That said, I do feel a parent has the right to teach their own children whatever they feel is proper about religion. Is there not a place in their life for something other than science? And who better then their parents is qualified to determine what values they should be taught inside their home?

I am sorry if I misread you.
But I think faith and knowledge are two different domains and both should not be confused.
Sure, parents may make their kids to rote Koran or Bile, as the choice maybe.
This may instill some faith into the kids.
But all faith will evaporate into thin air as soon as it is confronted with systematized knowledge (science).
As faith is not backed by any tangible proof (except some Holy scripts) but scientific knowledge is backed by proper tangible evidence.
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:16:42 PM

I am going to get a ton of shit for this but I really dont care. I strongly believe that it should be at least mentioned in biology class. I as a Christian student had to learn evolution so as a respect for those who think evolution is a ton of bull shit or that its heavenly inspired (or what ever the student believes in) should be stated that there are other opinions on how everything came into being. Also if in English class we study exerpts from the Bible Koran and mythology why cant it be suggested in science class? I personally want to become a Biology teacher and this is something that i will have to deal with on the daily basis. And I have taken MANY science class and I still believe in God.
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:15:11 PM

1. It's not science, it's religion.

2. Do you have scientists, Darwin lovers, or atheists coming into your Church, or allowed to express their views in your place of worship?

So, Science, Evolution, a place where all children of different faiths and religions can learn about something that is secular. Why so hard to accept that some just don't believe? And, why so against leaving it alone. To each and every faith, in their house of worship to extol how they think things came about?
ramrod32784
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:54:40 PM

It is funny that many public schools have courses in Islam but not allowed Christianity.I have no problems with any religion being taught in schools it might open an awareness that we don't have now
ramrod32784
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:55:19 PM

It is funny that many public schools have courses in Islam but not allowed Christianity.I have no problems with any religion being taught in schools it might open an awareness that we don't have now
nazhinaz
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:38:35 AM

ramrod32784 wrote:

Teaching of any religious belief in schools should not be allowed.
Schools are meant to impart KNOWLEDGE, NOTHING BUT KNOWLEDGE.
And religious mythologies are not knowledge.
BadGirl76
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 1:07:05 AM

Teaching religion in school would be a nightmare. Who's beliefs do you teach? What denomination? Bible? Teachings? There are so many 'mainstream' religions, but there are the outside (pagan) religions. There's not enough time in the day to teach all religious beliefs. You would have a generation of seriously confused people. How much hatred and distrust of others based on differing beliefs would we be instilling in our children. In my opinion a basic course in the worlds diversity of faiths would be sufficient, but to try to teach all the faiths would be insane.

...I thought that maybe a new life, a different life, wouldn’t be so bad. But where the hell did I put the receipt, and could you return something that was over twenty years old? Where do you go to get a new life when your old one has you so puzzled you don’t know how to fix it? Wish I knew.
-Anita Blake

Started posting a novel, please give it a read Quarter, a novel about two couples and how they blend their sex lives.
She
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 5:12:42 AM

Lake57
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 6:23:18 AM

Why not. We all have many decision to make in life and we might as well know all our options. They all have values that are different so let them learn. It's our choice isn't it...
flytoomuch
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:26:25 AM

Ummmmmm? No, it's idiotic.
Green_Man
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:51:40 PM

This is the stupidest thread yet. Of fucking course not!!!

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:52:15 PM

Lorenzo1 wrote:
This is the stupidest thread yet. Of fucking course not!!!

LOL. I've thought that since the day it was raised.