Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Victim of a crime in Oakland? Don't call the cops. Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:25:28 PM

Christ I feel so bad for everyone who lives out there...

Quote:
Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if layoffs go as planned.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers will no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, car wrecks, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Some 80 officers were to be let go at midnight last night if a last-minute deal was not reached. That's about ten percent of the work force.

"I came here to build an organization, not downsize one," said Batts, who was given the top job in October.

That deadline has been extended to 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Here's a partial list:

* burglary
* theft
* embezzlement
* grand theft
* grand theft:dog
* identity theft
* false information to peace officer
* required to register as sex or arson offender
* dump waste or offensive matter
* discard appliance with lock
* loud music
* possess forged notes
* pass fictitious check
* obtain money by false voucher
* fraudulent use of access cards
* stolen license plate
* embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
* extortion
* attempted extortion
* false personification of other
* injure telephone/ power line
* interfere with power line
* unauthorized cable tv connection
* vandalism
* administer/expose poison to another's...

Jillicious
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:53:13 PM

So what would they show up for? They should have just made that list as it would have been shorter.
As I read through this I just kept thinking it would be a very good time to exercise those 2nd amendment rights if you lived in Oakland.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:23:12 PM

I doubt this changes anything. Oakland is already a crime infested city...

LadyX
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:17:33 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Tell me about it- I lived in East Oakland for 18 years, then I got the hell out. You look up in the hills at the money, and look across the Bay at the money, and live around people who are willing to die for just a little of it.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:41:33 PM

LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

Tell me about it- I lived in East Oakland for 18 years, then I got the hell out. You look up in the hills at the money, and look across the Bay at the money, and live around people who are willing to die for just a little of it.

That's a very true and poetic description of Oakland. Much better than the asshole of the bay as I've heard it called before.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 7:00:11 AM

LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

Unfortunately, there are places fitting that description all over. I live fifteen minutes away from the polo capital of America. On Palm Beach, we have some of the most exclusive real estate in the country. Presidents and princes have vacation homes here. I did work on a house owned by one of Queen Elizabeth's advisors. But a quick five-minute ride over the bridge, and you're in an area of small houses and shacks where you can buy any commodity known to man. They say that America is a land where you can lift yourself up as high as your dreams can carry you. Having the freedom to succeed also means you have the freedom to fail.

LadyX
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 9:25:53 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:
Having the freedom to succeed also means you have the freedom to fail.

I love that- so true!

You're right in general too- the distance from wealth to poverty is not a long one anywhere. I stayed in a motel in Venice Beach (LA), where wealthy people lived, with homeless poeple literally leaned up against their houses. About two blocks behind that is some real gangster territory, and about five blocks to the north is upscale Santa Monica.

My apartment complex is next to a government project, and about five minutes from billionaire's estates. Isn't it strange to think that many if not most of us have more in common with people we interact with online, living states or even countries away, than the people who live next to us?