Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

the lack of communication between family members, and modern life Options · View
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:52:44 AM

One of the most important reasons of recent increasing divorce is lack of communication.

Because of many reason, they have inadequate time to talk to their partners, which produces the likelihood of divorce.

Not only parents, some teens prefer to listen to their iPods, or play video games instead of talking to their family. Some children escape to the fictional and animated world of cartoons instead of talking to their family. Parents tend to find worldly problems like the economy, weather, sports.

Do you think modern life, media (I mean TV) and technology (such as internet) have negative influence on communication between family members, especially between wife and husband?
MMonroe
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 11:24:08 AM

Yep can do, and i think its important for parents to limit their time on the internet/tv, or at least insist that they sit round at the table together once a week for dinner, no tv etc and chat.

While ive never been told 'you can only watch tv for x hours every night', my parents would make sure they have my full attention if they wanted to talk to me

*Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?*

rxtales
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:53:40 PM

I have never really had a very good relationship with either of parents for various reasons. There are times we can't sit in the same room without almost killing each other, but watching a movie or tv show gives us something to do. There are a couple of shows my mum and I both like and sitting together and watching it allow us to spend some time together.
mercianknight
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 6:41:26 AM

MMonroe wrote:
Yep can do, and i think its important for parents to limit their time on the internet/tv, or at least insist that they sit round at the table together once a week for dinner, no tv etc and chat.

While ive never been told 'you can only watch tv for x hours every night', my parents would make sure they have my full attention if they wanted to talk to me

Ditto MM's thoughts. Mind you, I am a tad stricter than MM's parents - supper is always a family affair at the table (despite howls of protest at times), TV time is negotiable, however, ipod and computer time is strictly rationed. Apparently, according to my daughter, I'm a meanie and the worst parent ever!!!

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 7:58:03 AM

mercianknight wrote:
MMonroe wrote:

Ditto MM's thoughts. Mind you, I am a tad stricter than MM's parents - supper is always a family affair at the table (despite howls of protest at times), TV time is negotiable, however, ipod and computer time is strictly rationed. Apparently, according to my daughter, I'm a meanie and the worst parent ever!!!

i am also a horribly mean parent. however, i do spend too much time on the computer myself. my work is on the computer so that is part of it. and dinner for us, too, is around the table every night. no electronics.

but its not just technology either....ipods, the internet, DSIs. it can be books too. my husband read 17 books in one month once. needless to say we did not spend much time together that month. and work! how many workaholics are out there?

i think anything can be a distraction from family life. that sometimes we forget that marriage takes work and effort. that you must pay attention to it and to each other for it to thrive. (goes without saying that you must pay attention to your children for them to thrive as well)