Writing a story from the view of the opposite gender

last reply
47 replies
6.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Im currently putting together a 3-part series for a story, and I plan on writing it from the female POV. Does anyone think its weird for a male to write a story from the female perspective or vice versa? Do you think they can capture what the other sex would say or do?
Authors worth looking out for...

Aaannn-- can write a story on pretty much anything, fantastic detail
Batzman51939-- well developed "first time" stories and love poems
Conflicted Feelings-- "first time" writer, uses great detail, makes you feel like youre there
Jillicious-- incest writer, combines humor and seriousness to make for a great read anytime
Lolwriter89--seriously, this guy writes the best bro/sis incest stories on this site
Lustone--new up and comer, takes the time to develop feelings from male and female sides
Sydnancy--"straight sex" writer, combines realism with a little fantasy, worth the read
Lurker
0 likes
Personally, I never read stories that are written in the opposite sex perspective... I have seen many male authors at lush attempt to write lesbian/female perspective stories ~ and vice versa in regards to women writing a man perspective story... and sorry to say... have never been turned on by one. Give me a lesbian story written by a lesbian any day....

I don't think they capture the opposite's sex emotions, feelings and like you mentioned, wording. You can tell the story is forced.

BUT you never know... yours could be a first for me
Lurker
0 likes
I tried experimenting with that last week with my latest efforts at trying to write a story. It sounds easy, but once you get into the middle - well I just confused and went back to first person half way through haha so I re-wrote it back to my own voice in the story.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I thought about posting this question myself.

It gets boring some times writing only from the female view and find myself covering the same actions and feelings over and over.

In the story "Please baby. Please.", I attempted to write from his point of view mostly, but felt I needed to cover her view a little to get through the story.

I look forward to writing a story solely from the male(s) view and if achieved, It will turn me ON ooooo so much. I feel that story will be dry and completely sexual as that's the way I view the man's perspective for the most part. This is my fear. I'm afraid I will completely misunderstand the male and offend someone. Oh well.

It would be cool to write a story with a man's input almost like a documentary. : )
Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by myself

I feel that story will be dry and completely sexual as that's the way I view the man's perspective for the most part. This is my fear. I'm afraid I will completely misunderstand the male and offend someone. Oh well.

Not all of our stories are dry, but yea some are. If you think about offending someone, you might, because youll be too paranoid. Just be confident in your ability in knowing the opposite sex, if youre not, just ask the opposite sex for opinions. Im writing a love story from the female POV, itll be hard but I think I can capture all the emotion and essence of the female character, if I cant, I know where to go for help.A6dnmy0Pw71rvjF1
Authors worth looking out for...

Aaannn-- can write a story on pretty much anything, fantastic detail
Batzman51939-- well developed "first time" stories and love poems
Conflicted Feelings-- "first time" writer, uses great detail, makes you feel like youre there
Jillicious-- incest writer, combines humor and seriousness to make for a great read anytime
Lolwriter89--seriously, this guy writes the best bro/sis incest stories on this site
Lustone--new up and comer, takes the time to develop feelings from male and female sides
Sydnancy--"straight sex" writer, combines realism with a little fantasy, worth the read
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by nivek_88
Im currently putting together a 3-part series for a story, and I plan on writing it from the female POV. Does anyone think its weird for a male to write a story from the female perspective or vice versa? Do you think they can capture what the other sex would say or do?

If you want to read a fabulous story written from a woman's first person perspective by a man, then read this one:

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/love-stories/from-becky-for-matt-with-love.aspx

It's also a love story, and they don't get much better than this one, in my opinion.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i will occasionally write from a male perspective. it's a fun excersize, and i think i do a good job of it (based on feedback as well as my own feelings) really, it's kind of fun to get into that headspace and i like the challenge of seeing if i can make it work.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Hey Kevin-

One of my stories was written from the female POV. I tossed a couple of passages to a few of my female friends here on lush before i published it- they gave me some good insight. Mostly I wrote it by observing my wife's reactions to things and trying to put myself in her position.

SYD
Lurker
0 likes
When I write a story from the third-person, I flesh it out by showing her thoughts and his, too. Yeah, it feels weird.
Lurker
0 likes
from my own experience writing ... our own writer, Woffen, challenged me to write from a man's perspective (just in case you think my name is male, I am female). I found it to be a very different view point.

Here are the two I wrote:

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/business-trip-reward.aspx

http://http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/office-fantasy-or-reality.aspx

I have a little plot to do another one. I liked how they turned out ....

Van
0 likes
My last story I wrote as a two sided first person narration, entailing her day and his day.

I didn't think it weird, but was concerned being believable.
While writing as a woman, the words flowed easily, almost too easily. But on review, I found I was frequently dropping into third person.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Most of my stories are written with at least a female as the main character and they have been fairly well received.
I try not to beat the reader over the head with it and most of these are in the 3rd person but overall I haven't had a noticeable problem identifying with my feminine side as it were.
My feeling is that if you have a story in your mind that wants to be told you stand a pretty good chance of pulling it off.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I would like to try to write from a man's perspective, although I would be concerned about trying to make it as believable as possible.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Phan, give it a try. It might be fun or frutstrating or a mix of both but odds are it'll help you as a writer. Lush is a great place to try new stuff.

Just FWIW, my story From: Becky, To: Matt, With Love (see sig line) is written from a female POV and last time I checked, I'm still a card-carrying guy type. Good luck.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
I think i've written one or two from a male point of view and i kinda made the sex parts a bit vague seeing as though i'm no expert on what it feels like to have a penis. smile I think it turned out OK. Just give it a go.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by RumpleForeskin
Phan, give it a try. It might be fun or frutstrating or a mix of both but odds are it'll help you as a writer. Lush is a great place to try new stuff.

Just FWIW, my story From: Becky, To: Matt, With Love (see sig line) is written from a female POV and last time I checked, I'm still a card-carrying guy type. Good luck.

Thanks Rumple, I will! I also believe that if I do attempt this perspective, then it will help me grow as a writer. smile
Now, to think of a good story, lol.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i've done a few from a male perspective - it's not my go to, but it's fun, and it made writing interesting for me, trying to see things from a different perspective. seeing as i won a contest with one, i think i did a good job of it. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
I do not think it is weird for a man to write a story from the female perspective. I think its fun and a great challenge for a man to write something in a female’s voice. I wrote a story from a lesbian/female perspective and it was one of my successful and favorite stories on Lush.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/lesbian/hershel-rides-mercedez.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
I have written 3 stories from a female POV. Although I iniatially wrote them around a year ago for someone very close to me, I posted them on here and received some good feedback for them. I think it is not only fun to try and get into the head of the opposite sex (if only via a story), I find reading a story that has been written by a woman from a mans perspective is interesting because it allows me to see how some women think men think. Beyond the eroticism is a kind of interesting psychology.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have not yet attempted to write a story from a female perspective. After I finish my college series and then delve deeper into fiction I think I will attempt this.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm a very versatile writer, so I find no real difficulty writing from a female's POV.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've written a few stories now from the female POV. I do my best to imagine how a woman would tell a story to her best friend or to her diary, but I also imagine that the woman is attempting to seduce or at least arouse her target audience in the telling of the tale. From feedback I've received, I think I do okay.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Weaver of Words
0 likes
I think I find it interesting that more men think they can write well from a female POV than the reverse.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I have recently had a stronger urge to write a 1st person female POV story. My fear was that it would be dismissed out of hand but now, having tried most other genres I am having a more difficult time finding inspiration.

After I finish my current work perhaps I'll give it a go
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
So far, I have tended to swap between different points of view within my fiction stories. I actually find myself more comfortable writing from the lad's point of view in what I have written for Lush to date, but I think that's probably because the character (in two stories) is closer to the way my own mind works than the lass. I don;t know anything about how lads minds work, really, just people in general. It's difficult for me to know about the physical side of things, so I concentrated on the emotions and mind processes more.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
I would love to be able to do it
Lurker
0 likes
I am really interested in the man's viewpoint, what he feels physically and emotionally. It's wonderful to try and imagine and I think it helps your writing if you can understand a different point of view, even if it's something you can never feel yourself (like, wouldn't it be great to have a penis for a day!!)
Lurker
0 likes
I have tried this but can't get into the mind of the opposite. I wish that I could write as a woman
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Guest
Personally, I never read stories that are written in the opposite sex perspective... I have seen many male authors at lush attempt to write lesbian/female perspective stories ~ and vice versa in regards to women writing a man perspective story... and sorry to say... have never been turned on by one. Give me a lesbian story written by a lesbian any day....

I don't think they capture the opposite's sex emotions, feelings and like you mentioned, wording. You can tell the story is forced.

BUT you never know... yours could be a first for me

This was my view as well, how could a woman write a gay male story, they were rubbish. Then I read Zone Defence here in the gay male section. To this day it's one of the two best stories I've read on any site. I was shocked that the author was female. Every aspect was spot on, just brilliant.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tried this recently, and failed badly. I asked my bf loads of questions to help me, and he ended up looking at me like I was some kind of mentalist. I guess it's true to say that you should write about what you know; I know and understand how I feel - I'll be damned if i completely know what's going on in bloke's mind sad