Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Impartiality in news reportage. Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:28:38 AM

From this guy's op-ed news(ish) blog.

Quote:
I think President Obama has finally gone off the deep end with his obsession about Fox News.

Hey, I think the people at Fox are a bunch of total nut jobs. Glenn Beck is certifiable and throws garbage out there to see if it will stick; Bill O'Reilly makes my skin crawl; and Sean Hannity should be slapped. And they are as predictable as the sun rising in the east.

Here is the entire Fox philosophy: Republicans, good. Hard right conservatives, better. Democrats and liberals, don't deserve to live. Listeners, stupid and pliable, will believe anything we say.

That is their entire schtick.

But Obama, as president, should be above worrying about these folks, or even commenting on them. Yet he seems to base every move on what he thinks Fox will say. He gives them 10 times more credibility than they deserve. Why doesn't Obama just watch ESPN or turn on "Dancing with the Stars" instead of watching Fox? His life would be easier, trust me.

Now Obama is saying Fox is destructive for the long-term growth of the country. Better Obama should worry that his own policies aren't destructive to the long-term growth of the country.

Turn off the TV, prez. Take up origami or something. You can thank me later.

Now, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing Mr. Stein's opinions on Obama, or any of Fox's talking heads. But it's no secret that modern media outlets do tend to editorialize a lot more than they just report the news. It's fine if the editorial comes openly labeled as opinion, not as fact. But if you pay attention, you can see how news stories are slanted to promote the agenda of whatever media outlet is disseminating that message. If a newspaper is anti-gun, for instance, you can see how stories about crime are slanted to make the guns themselves look like they played a part in causing the crime. The same is true of stories about immigration reform, campaign contribution reform, welfare reform - you name it.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure." Our government censors the media by granting or denying access, depending on the political compass of the reporter or his employer. Presidents have been known to hire non-entities to pose as journalists and ask pre-scripted questions in Whitehouse briefings. It's one thing if a media outlet bows to financial pressure and tends to only report those sensationalist stories that will increase subscriptions (and thereby increase revenue), but it's another thing if the media outlet kowtows to a particular party line in hopes of garnering favoritism with those in power. Journalists are supposed to have a creed of impartiality and fair reportage, relaying only the five W's (who, what, where, when, and why/how), and keeping personal opinion out of news reportage.

Do you have any stories of news media being overly biased one way or another? And what can be done by the everyday citizens of the world to make sure that true stories don't get hushed up?

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:53:20 AM

Quote:
I think President Obama has finally gone off the deep end with his obsession about Fox News.

First of all, agreed. Obama needs to check himself. He might be right about Fox News being 'bad for the country', but spending energy pointing it out and basically whining and attacking about it makes him seem small and petty. Putting that kind of energy into Fox News only validates them and gives them more power as his opposition- at least that's how I see it.

He should be above it- let them squawk about him all they want while he ignores them completely. Not that they aren't right about some things, but that's another subject.

MrNudiePants wrote:

Do you have any stories of news media being overly biased one way or another? And what can be done by the everyday citizens of the world to make sure that true stories don't get hushed up?

It seems like anything political is going to have some slant or another, right? Isn't 'impartial media' kind of a fantasy that will never come true? Since people, not computers, write news stories, there will always be some bias, even if it's not intended. True reporting is probably less so, but all the guys that this writer brought up are opinion-makers. They are paid to spout opinions and hopefully make new headlines about Fox News on other networks, which only increases their power. Same with the other networks.

I don't read the newspaper, unless you count online stories- but it's almost like we're not really reading the real news stories, we're absorbing them after they've already been fed through some other opinion maker's machine, and which opinion maker we watch or read depends on our personal politics. So we can bitch about it all we want, but we're the ones that keep this system alive and thriving by watching their networks, listening to their radio shows, and clicking on their websites.

If I get really interested in a subject, I'll go search for all sorts of things written about it, and only then do I get differing opinions of a subject. If I watched MSNBC or Fox all day, I'd have no right to complain.

Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:44:23 AM

LadyX wrote:

Quote:

First of all, agreed. Obama needs to check himself. He might be right about Fox News being 'bad for the country', but spending energy pointing it out and basically whining and attacking about it makes him seem small and petty. Putting that kind of energy into Fox News only validates them and gives them more power as his opposition- at least that's how I see it.

He should be above it- let them squawk about him all they want while he ignores them completely. Not that they aren't right about some things, but that's another subject.

Before John Kerry lost the election to Bush, I would have agreed with that. But after seeing the effectiveness of the swiftboat veterans for truth campaign, it is clear to me that Kerry made a huge mistake in trusting that the American public was smart enough to see through that. Too many people think that if an idea is not disputed, then it is truth, so Obama does need to spend time refuting the statements made by Fox. Although there is a difference between making a statement, and getting sidetracked. He needs to do it in a way that doesn't let Fox control his agenda.

As for a personal story of media bias, I can't think of a specific one right now. I know I've seen a lot when reading international news reports. Try reading an international news story from sources in multiple countries, and I'm sure you will see a different perspective, and slant in each case.
Butterfly
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:49:49 AM

LadyX wrote:
True reporting is probably less so, but all the guys that this writer brought up are opinion-makers. They are paid to spout opinions and hopefully make new headlines about Fox News on other networks, which only increases their power. Same with the other networks.

I agree there, having watched Fox News and MSNBC at times over the years. Personally, I'd have to say the commentators on Fox are getting worse and worse. Seems like certain ones thrive on creating 'drama' so to speak and crave a good debate with anyone who differs from their opinions, allow them to give it, yet turn around and bash (and not in a nice way most of the time) said person for having a stance or thoughts that go against what they (Fox) feel to be the way you SHOULD think....pitiful in my opinion. I do not attempt to watch that news network anymore, they annoy me to no end lol. Nor do I watch MSNBC either any longer.

I do the same usually, as LadyX said, if something piques my interest that is in the news, I try to research it and check out a variety of different sources on whatever the subject matter may be.

Personally, as as far as watching news based media on tv, I choose to watch BBC World News. The reporters/commentators there do not seem to be so rude, 'in your face', or one sided as far as reporting the news from around the world. They, to me, actually report with professionalism.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:49:32 AM

Any stories or examples of news media being biased one way or the other? How about always being biased to influence how we feel (not how we think).

MrNudiePants wrote:

What can be done? Avoid mainstream print, radio & video media, the networks & cable/satellite news feeds. Seek out alternate media and then cross check what you read, hear or watch even from those sources.

Question everything. Don't believe me...watch the first 10 minutes of this and see if it doesn't draw you into watching the entire 181 minutes. That's about 6% of hook, time-wise.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
overmykneenow
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:51:09 AM

How is allowing a platform for opposing arguments to be heard a curtailment of free speech?

From what I understand, the Fairness Doctrine was done away with by Reagan (though as ever, he probably knew nothing about it). That should be reason enough on its own to reinstate it

Butterfly wrote:

Personally, as as far as watching news based media on tv, I choose to watch BBC World News. The reporters/commentators there do not seem to be so rude, 'in your face', or one sided as far as reporting the news from around the world. They, to me, actually report with professionalism.

They're required to be impartial and show balance under British broadcasting regulations, though there are repeated calls to remove these.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
matt55
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:03:30 AM

I don't think there is a truly objective news organization out there anymore. I suppose FOX and MSNBC are on the two extremes of the spectrum but everyone else falls in there and each have their agenda. So what do we the public do? We watch the one that most agrees with what we believe, or want to believe, just reinforcing and feeding our opinions.

I know people that say they watch both sides but what I find is that when they watch any news that is on the other side from what they believe they don't really watch it with an open mind. They look for the spin and then say "see I told you they had an agenda". Funny, they don't see that spin when they agree with it.

God forbid we should watch look at both sides objectively and make up our own minds.
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 9:56:08 PM

When is the last time you heard a news story that wasn’t political? Even the local news shows spend more time on politics and entertainment bull shit than real news. They treat the stupid reality shows as if they were real. (Of course when compared to Washington they are just as real.)

And when you do see a story it is the same film and words on every channel. Other stories just disappear. What happen to Syria in the news? The Washington Propaganda Bureau said bury it and the people will be so stupid as to forget there is anything going on there. The same with the murder and incompetent leadership of the Secretary of State in the Africa affair and the IRS acting like Gestapo. What about Asia and the pollution caused by China that makes it unsafe for people in Japan and elsewhere to go outside if they have a breathing problem. (No one condemns Gore for his lies and corruption.) What about the broken promises to the people of the Texas Explosion and the East Coast storms? Any other time in our history the news media would be asking for the heads of those in Washington who broke their promise of help as well as organizations (like the Red Cross) who have failed to use the money given them by the people for aide. When is the last time you heard news from anywhere in the world that wasn’t “Washington Political”? And it isn’t just one party. What about the corruption of Republican politicians and their being in the back pocket of the oil companies? All stories that should be on the air, but our Beloved Leaders, like little dictators throughout the world, say bury the story and only tell how great we are and that we are living Gods whose actions should not be questioned. I'm not trying to make "political" talk, but showing you examples of what is not being coveed as it should be. I'm sure everyone on here can add pages and pages of the abuse the media has done in their failure to tell the facts and to investigate without adding their own agenda to a story.

Not only does the left wing CNN and the Fascists MSNBC, but FOX talking heads (and yes I agree that O’Reilly has gone just as bad as the jerks on CNN and MSNBC) are more interested in political and drama then real news. There isn’t one real “reporter” left. With the Big Brother attitude of Washington freedom of the press is no longer. The President prefers only those “news agencies” friendly to him be allowed to “ask” questions. He acts like a two bit dictator (like the leader of Russia) crying in his beer when anyone says anything against him in the news. (By the way is it me or are all the reporters on MSNBC with their pictures of White House Saints behind them look like Joseph Gobbles? They are all built like him and have that same stupid smile and talk down to the people watching and give out the same “party talking points” each time. It just looks so funny if you compare them to him and see how much alike they are.) And the other channels have “Readers” who are good looking and smile and give small talk as if they are your friend and spend more time talking to each other than reporting the news. FOX spends more time on political talking points than reporting the news so is just as bad, if not as bad in the lie department, as the others.

The press is one of the few organizations or groups of people actually mentioned in the Constitution. Our forefathers expected the news media to be a watch dog for the people on the government, not to be their puppets with the hand of Washington up their ass and giving out the “Party Talking Points”. They are supposed to be our watch dog, our protector not our enemy and an agent of slavery.
beowulf69
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 10:05:31 PM

All news sources either sensationalize for TV ratings, sell more papers, or get more hits. If they're not sensationalizing they are pushing a political agenda. They are all tainted.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 10:08:46 PM

ScottFord wrote:

Not only does the left wing CNN and the Fascists MSNBC, but FOX talking heads (and yes I agree that O’Reilly has gone just as bad as the jerks on CNN and MSNBC) are more interested in political and drama then real news. There isn’t one real “reporter” left. With the Big Brother attitude of Washington freedom of the press is no longer. The President prefers only those “news agencies” friendly to him be allowed to “ask” questions. He acts like a two bit dictator (like the leader of Russia) crying in his beer when anyone says anything against him in the news.

You didn't notice how the cable 'news' networks & the traditional networks in America were acting as the cheerleading squad for the Bush administration - during the seven month ramping up to the 2002 Iraq war, Scott?

You failed to see how the entire media was singing along with Bush & Rice & Cheney and Powell...prepping America that we all needed to go route Saddamn because he was just THIS CLOSE to being able to put mushroom clouds over all of our US cities?

Fear mongering cocksuckers - all of them. YELLOW CAKE URANIUM!!

But you were probably still in high school and world politics and the media whores were the last thing on your mind, 10 years ago, huh?

Monocle
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 10:22:42 PM

Our lowered expectations of the media guarantee there will be no improvement. It's up to us to demand better.
in the US, I'd start listening to NPR.
MadMartigan
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 3:39:14 PM

When virtually the entirety of the US News is owned and operated by a select few conglomerates, or overarching problems, you have the disaster that journalism has become these days. Well, broadcast journalism in the US these days.

Part of that has to do with the 24 hour news cycle. It had "good intentions" in the beginning. To keep the public regularly informed and all that jazz. However, over time, it became all about the ratings. Thus we entered a time where the premium was put on entertainment news. We started giving the public what they wanted, not what they needed. We're not so much keeping them informed anymore, so much as keeping them pea-sized brains entertained. That's what sells.

It's some mutant form of yellow journalism, tabloids, and editorialization. We have too much "talking about the news" rather than just relaying the news and trusting in the abilities of the public to sift through the bullshit and to what is important.

Which is why Faux News viewers are routinely the most misinformed population in the US.

Quote:

Not only does the left wing CNN and the Fascists MSNBC, but FOX talking heads (and yes I agree that O’Reilly has gone just as bad as the jerks on CNN and MSNBC) are more interested in political and drama then real news. There isn’t one real “reporter” left. With the Big Brother attitude of Washington freedom of the press is no longer. The President prefers only those “news agencies” friendly to him be allowed to “ask” questions. He acts like a two bit dictator (like the leader of Russia) crying in his beer when anyone says anything against him in the news.

d'oh! Every president in the history of ever doesn't LIKE the news. Why would they? And yes, during 9/11, most media agencies were scared off and following right in line with Bush. So much for our "watchdogs." They more than anything tip-toed the conservative party line. Never really questioned the president as we all "rallied behind Bush" for a war he had no strategy for.

For the record...Rachel Maddow on MSNBC is the best thing broadcast journalism has going for it these days. In fact, it is one of the only things it has going for it.

Stick to what is best for the news these days.

The BBC
NPR

Long form journalism magazines like The New Yorker, The Atlantic, and Time (mostly).

All have the occasional BS, but most have quality stuff. It involves, you know, investigative journalism. It involves time.

Not this twitter-era driven "get it out before anyone else does, confirmation and truth be damned" nonsense.

What do I know though? I only studied journalism for four years in college from one of the best and oldest schools of journalism in the world.
Buz
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 3:44:10 PM

The news media is about profit & propaganda, sometimes a PR tool of the government I presume. Who only knows what the truth is. It might destroy us.

Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:21:41 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

You didn't notice how the cable 'news' networks & the traditional networks in America were acting as the cheerleading squad for the Bush administration - during the seven month ramping up to the 2002 Iraq war, Scott?

You failed to see how the entire media was singing along with Bush & Rice & Cheney and Powell...prepping America that we all needed to go route Saddamn because he was just THIS CLOSE to being able to put mushroom clouds over all of our US cities?

Fear mongering cocksuckers - all of them. YELLOW CAKE URANIUM!!

But you were probably still in high school and world politics and the media whores were the last thing on your mind, 10 years ago, huh?

At the time we had just lost 3000 people to the godless cowards and Bush, instead of having congress declare war, like all presidents since Truman, took the power unto himself and thereby let the Copperheads of Congress escape doing their duty. But the people wanted the dictators behind the murders punished. It was the people who were the cheerleaders, and if you study history you will see that no county that the far right progressives or far left commies have controlled ever worked and cared for their own people and their only agenda was world imperialism.

The only thing is Bush didn't keep his promise and go after all of them. Now most are still in power and look at the Middle East mess. Now we have a president that prefers the Brotherhood instead of setting people free and we should have destroyed by now all the two bit Hitters and the war should be over.

Maybe you were not awake in history class and don't remember it was the news media that really got us into the War in 1898. Yellow Journalism has been and still is in power, but you are saying as long as they do whatever your political motives are that it is ok, but not ok if they go against what you believe. Just because Jesse James robbed a bank doesn't mean it is ok for the next guy to rob a bank. To make matters worst, the media is no longer several separate organizations (Regan is responsible for allowing that) and now a small group that do not represent the people or the truth as our watch dogs run it like a government agency. And MSNBC is among the worst.

The majority of people on here feel that the media is not doing their duty. Even you say we should listen to news media’s outside the U.S. if we want to hear the truth and I agree with you. Every weekend the talking heads use a catch phrase that is repeated over and over in the hopes of a little brain washing the public and there are no longer any "reporters" who are willing to ask hard questions and get the facts and the story behind the story. Instead they all act like puppets with some corrupt politicians hand up their ass. What the people here are saying is that no matter what your political belief is, the media has a responsible to all of us to be in the middle ground, report just the facts, find out the truths, not hide or try to bury a story because some politician doesn't want his or her dirty laundry to be shown. Keep their own political agenda to the editor page which is their right to do. In other words, do their job.
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 6:30:50 PM

ScottFord wrote:

But the people wanted the dictators behind the murders punished.

Which dictators were those, Scott? Hussein? LOL

Yet sadly, you're right. "The people", dumb motherfuckers that they were, let them tie the 9/11 "the evildoers" to Hussein in Iraq and get away with it based on nothing but fuzzy photos and rumors of "yellow cake". Journalists are sometimes the least of our problem here in 'merica.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:51:07 PM

Mr. Ford - you are delusional...and probably always have been. LOL

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:58:43 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

Lol you fucking dumb shit.